Menu

LONG random CC thoughts on beauty, femininity, practicality, thrift, et al

Thanks for this thread. I'd been convicted this past summer about dressing with more care, putting some effort into make-up (no majors, tinted gloss, mascara) because my dh had commented that I was always dressing 'frumpy'.

I needed the reminder. Thanks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *do* think I owe it to myself and my husband to do the best I can with what I've got.

...I just also believe that it's not the end-all, be-all, and that my husband and I owe it to each other to make other areas of life more important. ::Shrug:: Different strokes!

I *don't* necessarily think these women are lazy or passive aggressive. I think most of them have just given up. Rage, rage against the dying of the light, people!

LOL, I guess it's the generalizing of "these women" that's nagging at me, in this thread. Each individual could be talking about extremely different things.

ETA: This also isn't just about the conversation about "doing the best with what you have", it's about the specific comments about appearance change for other reasons. (Health, etc.)

Edited by Jill, OK

...I just also believe that it's not the end-all, be-all, and that my husband and I owe it to each other to make other areas of life more important. ::Shrug:: Different strokes!

I haven't seen anyone suggest that one's outward appearance should be the end-all, be-all of anyone's existence.

LOL, I guess it's the generalizing of "these women" that's nagging at me, in this thread. Each individual could be talking about extremely different things.
Oh, I agree. Example: Jenny (or someone?) said something about mannish haircuts which some people took that to mean "short." I don't think that's what she meant. I watched an episode of WNTW the other day with a woman with pretty short hair. She still had short hair afterward but it looked SO much

better!

She's #19 on this page, they didn't give her some major over-haul, they re-did her hair, did her makeup a little differently and showed her a better way of dressing her figure. It probably won't take her any more time each day to get ready but she looks better! And she was quasi-actually trying before.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

You're elderly? ;)

I don't think anyone here has said a woman needs to gob on the makeup and hair gunk in order to look nice, or that that is what a woman needs to do or else she's let herself go.

This is good--this is not "letting yourself go", so when posters talk about women who do, they're not talking about you.

Haha, compared to most women on this board, yes I am elderly. :001_smile:

I didn't say anything about "gobbing" on make-up and hair gunk. I said I used to use all of that and thought I was pretty for doing so.

Also, I didn't think anyone was talking about 'me' letting myself go, but that someone with short, natural hair, no make-up, and comfy clothing could look to someone else as "letting themselves go" when in fact they had not.

Oh, I agree. Example: Jenny (or someone?) said something about mannish haircuts which some people took that to mean "short." I don't think that's what she meant. I watched an episode of WNTW the other day with a woman with pretty short hair. She still had short hair afterward but it looked SO much

better!

She's #19 on this page, they didn't give her some major over-haul, they re-did her hair, did her makeup a little differently and showed her a better way of dressing her figure. It probably won't take her any more time each day to get ready but she looks better! And she was quasi-actually trying before.

My hair is much, much shorter than this. I'm sure some women on this board would be shocked by it. But my DH absolutely LOVES it. I have NO idea why. When we were married, I had basic mid 90's newscaster-bobbed hair (almost exactly like Teri Hatcher's Lois Lane haircut on that 90's Superman show). When I got pregnant with PDG, he suggested I cut it short. I never grew it out again. Every time I float the thought that I might grow it out again, he strongly asks me not to. He says it flatters my face. He loves to see my forehead and neck. My hair is similar to picture #7 on this website, but the fringe/bangs are even shorter.

Although my haircut is not everyone's cup of tea, I don't believe anyone would think of me as unfeminine.

I just wanted to defend us short-hair gals ;) and reiterate that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

Edited by BikeBookBread

:confused:

You've excluded loads of women on this forum from having a valid point of view, I may be reading this wrong but it seems like you've trivialized their opinion because they're younger than you?

It doesn't matter what size you wear, how old or young you are, it doesn't matter if your a jean and tee shirt kind of girl, to me it's about a good attitude, not looking like a slob, and not taking cheap shots at each other. There's enough room for all us girls! Yeah even the hopeless slobs, I love those ladies too. :)

Yes, you have read it wrong. I am not trivializing younger women's opinion, just saying that they are coming from a different point of view. I'm sorry you misunderstood.

I'm very sorry for your illness and glad that you have a way to make yourself feel emotionally better.

I totally agree with your last statement, except for the "hopeless slobs" part. Once again, that is a matter of opinion; some may see them as slobs and some may not. I choose to not see them that way, but I love them as you do. :001_smile:

Seriously though, feminine is as feminine does, not merely as it looks. In my world, we equate feminine with kind, caring, dignified, calm, nurturing, mothering, etc. Perhaps it would help to ponder exactly how we define that term. For me it is much more about essence than appearance.

:iagree:

I smell what you're steppin' in! :D

Although my haircut is not everyone's cup of tea, I don't believe anyone would think of me as unfeminine.

BBB, I have several friends with very, very short hair and they look super-cute and feminine. I don't think whomever it was (I'm not seeing the quote at the moment, bleh) who mentioned short hair meant to point fingers at women with short hair. I've had short hair my entire adult life (it hasn't been much longer than my profile pic since I was 10) and I didn't take it that way.

I'm sorry, but these 3 parts of your post contradict each other. You were offended by her statement calling it nasty and judgmental but then you did the very same thing. I LOVE getting all done up for no other reason than I like the way I look...I am not "young" as I am about to turn 40...and I am NOT hiding who I really am...I do not have some tragic case of low self esteem. Your comment was just as judgmental as hers was.

Heather, I am shocked that you would quote something that I had written, and purposely leave out the parts that were pertinent to the points you are trying to make above

At first I said that, yes, I thought I could be offended at her post, but then wasn't because it struck me as funny. And, I did not "do the same thing". I said just because I may think this (everyone has those thoughts that flit through their heads when they see someone) that it doesn't make it so. You left that part conveniently out of your "quote".

And I never, ever said ANYone had a "tragic case of low self-esteem". I said they were trying to hide who they really are. Any make-up hides who you are. I hide my age/sun spots sometimes. I don't have a "tragic case of low self-esteem", but I most certainly use the make-up to hide who I really am/what is really on my face because I don't like what is on myself; just as I said in my post that "they don't like themselves very much". I didn't say that these women don't like how they feel/look when they fix themselves, just that they don't like whatever they are covering up. It wasn't judgmental, you just chose to read it that way. I'm sorry. Meanings and tone can be easily confused in print. Sometimes something I think is perfectly clear is obviously not.

Of course, I am well aware that some people think that make-up enhances and doesn't cover up. I don't see it used that way very often. I'm sure you are one of those beautiful women who only need enhanced and not covered up. :001_smile:

I think anyone should be able to wear their hair and dress anyway that makes them happy. I wasn't contradicting myself at all. And I will love and accept you no matter how you choose to fix your hair, face and clothing.

My hair is similar to picture #7 on this website, but the fringe/bangs are even shorter.

OMG, I am so jealous! I wish I could wear my hair that short! I don't have the face to carry it off, but on the right woman, that hair is dead sexy. Sounds like you wear it well!

AS for the OP-some days I wear my gardening clogs with overalls, some days I wear my purple patent stilettos. I like myself, I'm happier and more content than I have been in my life and I think I wear my years better all the time. Some days I wear makeup, some days I don't. Some days I wear skirts, some days I don't. Many days Himself comes home to find me in my jammies on the bed typing. But they're cute jammies, not his house painting t-shirts. I think the balance is the key. So that even when I've been cleaning out the chicken coop and smell as awful as I look, I know I clean up nice!

And Bare Minerals by Bare Escentuals is AWESOME. Must be the unicorn dirt they dig it from. Feels like nothing, gives you a finished glow and you're off!

Edited by justamouse

Well, I do understand and agree with you. I have found myself getting extremely lazy with my looks. Why? It's faster to do thus and such and before I know it, a pound here, a pound there, less make to no makeup for years now, dresses/skirts to pants everywhere w/elasticized waistband...why...yes, because I need the give due to weight gain. :glare:

So, I've gone through a transformation. I feel like the pillsbury dough girl with big, oversized clothes and no make-up. I do like the "natural" face look. But, make-up these days is so natural looking now. It would be nice to spend the time to put it on.

I'd like to wear dresses, skirts when I choose. Same goes for higher heels, not the flats I wear everywhere and a little make-up.

It's really the inner quality of the woman though who sparks the cord of feminism. I know some very feminine, overweight women. I just don't feel as attractive or feminine with the issues I'm working on.

This has been on my mind for months (ok, truth be told, years), but here it is creeping up and bugging me again. :lol:

Long story short, I'm feeling convicted about beauty and femininity.

I'm feeling it from everywhere, and I feel like I really need to do something about it. Here are some random and disjointed thoughts in no particular order:

I see families at the zoo where the girls/women are in skirts/dresses and I feel like that is what I should be doing. I can't explain it, other than that very strong "should" feeling.

I enjoy a few blogs that discuss motherhood, womanhood, simple living, etc ...and all of the ladies that write these are OBVIOUSLY very feminine in dress and hairstyle. One of these ladies made a comment the other day about how no one needs to look shabby in thrift store clothes when there are so many great clearance sales on quality, name brand clothing right now. This is a woman who comes across as very Victorian-esque, and she is speaking of places I've NEVER shopped because they are so expensive (yup, I've been a tightwad from the womb!) I went clearance rack shopping last night, tried on at least 25 tops, and hated all of them. ALL.of.them. I was just a bit miffed that ok, it's not enough to look nice, now it has be be name brand??? I'm not putting this woman up on a pedestal, I'm just perplexed.

Then I read somewhere else that it is interesting that even though we as a society dress sloppily/shabbily, women of influence have always dressed well (she is talking about Michelle Obama and Princess Diana specifically)...that to be taken seriously you MUST be well-dressed at all times. I kind of agree, first impressions count, etc, etc, but here we are again...the term "women of influence" jumped out at me -- who am I trying to influence? My family? Our employees? Neighbors? While I'm kind of a nonconformist that doesn't really care what others think, it would be great to be a positive influence, I'm gonna let my little light shine, kind of a gal.

Which brings me to the fact that I was recently told I'm not living up to my potential. After and exasperated huff, it was determined that YES everyone knows I bust my bottom 24 hours a day, YES I'm doing my best to keep all balls in the air, YES I'm trying to be superwoman....except for how I present myself. THAT is the "not living up to potential" that this indvidual was talking about, and has been talking about for years...and it just finally clicked that that is what the person meant. Feelings would have been hurt if I wouldn't have all these other neon lights flashing at me telling me the same message.

Here's another kicker. At church a few weeks ago we had some beautiful stained glass windows installed...there is a brochure that explains the designs (much of it is not in English, symbolism, etc), and in it we have this: "and so many people may conclude that art is not only highly subjective but something quite optional -- nice, but not necessary -- something for people with too much time and too mch money. But this misses the essence and significance of art. The Christian faith has always understood that art is not a diversion of the elite, merely optional, or a matter of whim or personal taste. St Paul made it explicit in his letter to the believers in Philipi" *insert Philipians 4:8 here* "Truth and beauty belong together. They must not be pulled apart. What is true is beautiful. What is beautiful is true." ACK! This hit me like a bolt of lightning. Especially the bolded part.

I have a daughter. A beautiful, ringlet-haired, feminine wonder...I want to be a good example for her and I don't want either of my children remembering me looking like a wreck because I was too busy taking care of all kinds of other stuff.

It takes time and money to look good. I'm short on both. Yes, you can thrift shop and clearance rack and get some great deals but it takes time. You can go get a haircut and color your hair yourself and that is time AND money. You can wear a bit of makeup each day, but then you are using it up and will ulimately run out when you really need it and can't afford to replace it.

DH stated that he feels like a better provider when I am wearing something other than one of his T-shirts and jeans. I thought I was being awesome by not spending money on clothes!! Who knew! :lol: So I have his go-ahead to spend a bit of money; however, I just can't seem to do it. (Thinking of curriculum needs, upcoming costs, debt, etc, etc, etc)

I was reading Anne of Green Gables a while back to my kiddos, and I was really struck with all kinds of messages about beauty. I can't even name specifics, but there were tons of instances in there that really got my goat.

I know Jesus loves me regardless of if I'm wearing a hot pink mohawk or a denim jumper (I have neither, for the record :D), but for some reason I feel like He's calling me to do something about this...Why is that? And what am I supposed to do? I'm by no means legalistic about this, I just feel like He's hitting ME over the head with it.

Off to get the kiddos showered and jammied. I'm terrified of the comments I'm going to get about this...:auto:

...but I do think that some of the responses are a little more focused on appearance than what I'm comfortable with/believe is good.

But I think that's what the thread was about in the first place.

Also, I didn't think anyone was talking about 'me' letting myself go, but that someone with short, natural hair, no make-up, and comfy clothing could look to someone else as "letting themselves go" when in fact they had not.

The image I have of a person who has let herself go is someone who looks shaggy & sloppy. I don't equate short, natural hair and no makeup with that image. Comfy clothing--there's a huge range of what that might mean. I think we all want to be comfy.

:iagree:

I smell what you're steppin' in! :D

I know that being feminine is on a whole other page than wearing makeup and dressing fashionable. But the OP was playing with concepts of hair, fashion and makeup, so that is where I put my thoughts and words. I live in Orange County Ca. one of the more shallow places to live. I see a lot of ugly behavior from wealthy WELL put together ladies. All the money in the world could not buy these monsters a drop of kindness or manners. Just because I like to wear makeup, and I wear heels to the grocery store :eek: doesn't mean that I'm overly focused on my looks. Maybe that sounds comical to some women, but it is the absolute truth, once I'm dressed for the day, I've still got 99% of my day to fill up with other qualities than a good fashion sense. I feel comfortable to say the women here who are speaking up for makeup and fashion don't make it their life focus.

We all know that without, kindness, patience, and an attempt to live life in a dignified manner, the make up is kind of a joke.

I am sure every partner comes home hoping the person they love and has sex with looks awful. I am sure it really does not matter, as long as there is a roast in the oven and some pudding firming in the fridge. Wife/mother, totally interchangeable.

I cook roast but not dessert. Maybe this is why I need to spruce myself up a bit?

I am frumpy and overweight. And yes, in some ways I feel like I've given up. I am tired (chronically ill tired). It is hard enough for me to get up and get showered (yes, I do that!), comb my hair and put on clothes (I do that too). I have no more energy left for more than that. My clothes don't fit well because clothes don't fit really well on my out of shape body. I HATE shopping because it makes me so depressed to try on clothes in that dressing room where I look even worse than at home. I don't have the energy to go shopping much. I parcel out my energy. Grocery shopping is a high priority, clothes for my growing children next, I get pushed down to the bottom not because I hate myself but because compared to the others it really isn't as important and because I have to jettison something. When I do go shopping, I have been guilty of finding one top that fit me and then buying it in five different colors. I did go shopping last year and got some dresses that fit me for Sunday. I feel like I look ok on Sunday. The rest of the time, not so much.

I have been guilty of finding one top that fit me and then buying it in five different colors.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so.......:D I did the very same thing this fall with a sweater. I loved how it looked and felt on me, so I bought it in 4 different colors. It made my shopping easy and it makes me happy when I wear them (one at a time, of course!).

So, don't feel guilty; you are shopping smart! :001_smile:

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so.......:D I did the very same thing this fall with a sweater. I loved how it looked and felt on me, so I bought it in 4 different colors. It made my shopping easy and it makes me happy when I wear them (one at a time, of course!).

So, don't feel guilty; you are shopping smart! :001_smile:

I found a CAbI shirt I loved, and when it started to wear out, I bought an identical one on Ebay! And then I thought, "Wow, I can do this with ALL my CAbI clothes, and save a lot of money, and have a wardrobe that will last a long time. And I won't have to shop!!!" So now I have a longish black skirt--2 copies, and a longish navy skirt--2 copies, and I am on my second purchase of a white shirt, a yellow beaded top, and a pink shirt. Hey, I figure, why not buy something I already know is perfect for me?

LOL - OK. You have made me feel better on buying identical shirts!

Thanks to this thread I went shopping tonight for shirts. I tried on 26 shirts. Only one fit. (There was only one color for this style). The whole process was comparable to having oral surgery with no anesthetic. . .

Just hate it.

I think that we are either deeply flawed as women, or highly superior as resistent consumers. At the moment the jury is out on those choices. Hmmm, maybe it's time for a poll???

Can it be Jello firming, or does it need to be pudding? :D

Crud. The the word jello would have had more comedic value here than the word pudding. I am kicking myself over this misstep. ;) This is why Sally had Rob and Buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtbfE6wnAzI&feature=related ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

Crud. The the word jello would have had more comedic value here than the word pudding. I am kicking myself over this misstep. ;)

Don't beat yourself up too much ;)-- I have Jello on the brain because my kids have recently discovered how to make Jello and they are obsessed with making it into interesting shapes, etc. My little Alton Browns. :001_wub:

Heather, I am shocked that you would quote something that I had written, and purposely leave out the parts that were pertinent to the points you are trying to make above

At first I said that, yes, I thought I could be offended at her post, but then wasn't because it struck me as funny. And, I did not "do the same thing". I said just because I may think this (everyone has those thoughts that flit through their heads when they see someone) that it doesn't make it so. You left that part conveniently out of your "quote".

And I never, ever said ANYone had a "tragic case of low self-esteem". I said they were trying to hide who they really are. Any make-up hides who you are. I hide my age/sun spots sometimes. I don't have a "tragic case of low self-esteem", but I most certainly use the make-up to hide who I really am/what is really on my face because I don't like what is on myself; just as I said in my post that "they don't like themselves very much". I didn't say that these women don't like how they feel/look when they fix themselves, just that they don't like whatever they are covering up. It wasn't judgmental, you just chose to read it that way. I'm sorry. Meanings and tone can be easily confused in print. Sometimes something I think is perfectly clear is obviously not.

Of course, I am well aware that some people think that make-up enhances and doesn't cover up. I don't see it used that way very often. I'm sure you are one of those beautiful women who only need enhanced and not covered up. :001_smile:

I think anyone should be able to wear their hair and dress anyway that makes them happy. I wasn't contradicting myself at all. And I will love and accept you no matter how you choose to fix your hair, face and clothing.

I quoted where you wrote that when you see women all done up you think they don't like themselves very much (that is the definition of low self-esteem) and then you go on to say you don't judge people. ??? It just struck me as contradictory. Perhaps I read it incorrectly?

I quoted where you wrote that when you see women all done up you think they don't like themselves very much (that is the definition of low self-esteem) and then you go on to say you don't judge people. ??? It just struck me as contradictory. Perhaps I read it incorrectly?

I tend to think that way. I don't mean to judge. God loves you in the face he made for you. I'm sure He loves it more than the face you try to make it look like by painting it up with different colors and covering "flaws".

God made you a face and He loves it.

I tried to explain what I meant here:

"And I never, ever said ANYone had a "tragic case of low self-esteem". I said they were trying to hide who they really are. Any make-up hides who you are. I hide my age/sun spots sometimes. I don't have a "tragic case of low self-esteem", but I most certainly use the make-up to hide who I really am/what is really on my face because I don't like what is on myself; just as I said in my post that "they don't like themselves very much". I didn't say that these women don't like how they feel/look when they fix themselves, just that they don't like whatever they are covering up. It wasn't judgmental, you just chose to read it that way. I'm sorry. Meanings and tone can be easily confused in print. Sometimes something I think is perfectly clear is obviously not."

Perhaps I didn't phrase it right. Maybe I should have said that they don't like *things* about themselves. Why does one wear foundation: to cover flaws and make a smooth facial appearance. If one liked their face/flaws they wouldn't wear it. Why does one wear mascara? Because the eyelashes are not dark/full/long/curly. If one was comfortable with their eyelashes, they wouldn't wear mascara. (and then there are some of us who pull their eyelashes out when they wear mascara, but that's another post). And I could go on and on. But, this was what I was trying to say. Not that I thought anyone had low self-esteem, but that they weren't comfortable with themselves just the way they are, so they hide whatever they don't like.

Like I said, I don't think that's bad. It's not a judgment; just an observation. I have a friend that doesn't like her naturally curly hair so she flat-irons it. Good for her. She's happy with it. But, she doesn't like this about herself and hides her curly hair (who she really is).

Once again, I'm all for anyone doing whatever they like to do to make themselves feel good about themselves. I'm not judging anyone. I was simply refuting a poster that thought older women who didn't meet with her expectations of "pretty" and "feminine" were "letting themselves go", because a lot of older women have become comfortable with who they really are and no longer feel the need to cover it up, change it, or enhance it.

Just hate it.

I think that we are either deeply flawed as women, or highly superior as resistent consumers. At the moment the jury is out on those choices. Hmmm, maybe it's time for a poll???

This would make a great poll. I love to shop for my daughters, when I actually have money and they really need something, and when I can do it online. But, I hate, hate, hate to shop for myself, or try on clothing. I hate to shop for groceries. Mostly, I just hate going to the store for any reason whatsoever.

And I vote that we are highly superior as resistant consumers.

I discovered I won $50 on a scratch ticket last night. So, I indulged my Magic Clean Eraser addiction (I figure its one addiction that won't kill me...unless I start eating it, but then I'd have a clean colon...hmmm.), and a timer I've been needing for forever. I then purchased mascara, a lipstick, an eyeliner, and a pkg of 3 mini lip glosses.

Poor SpecialMama. She was put in charge of figuring out what colour went best with my hair...and listened to me rant about the price of cosmetics. I mean, seriously, $13 for a lip gloss and cover that made it last 16 hrs?! I'm lucky if *I* last 16 hours for freak sakes! :glare:

But, starting today, I'm jazzing myself up a bit for when Wolf comes home. I started doing that this summer, and he was so blown away and pleased...and somehow, it fell by the wayside. I suspect it highly has something to do with Princess completely destroying both tubes of lipstick, eyeliner, and I still don't know where the heck the eyeliner went...Essentially all my makeup, gonzo.

Today, that changes.

I discovered I won $50 on a scratch ticket last night. So, I indulged my Magic Clean Eraser addiction (I figure its one addiction that won't kill me...unless I start eating it, but then I'd have a clean colon...hmmm.), and a timer I've been needing for forever. I then purchased mascara, a lipstick, an eyeliner, and a pkg of 3 mini lip glosses.

:party::party::party:

Way to go!

I discovered I won $50 on a scratch ticket last night. So, I indulged my Magic Clean Eraser addiction (I figure its one addiction that won't kill me...unless I start eating it, but then I'd have a clean colon...hmmm.),

WET BLANKET ALERT

Those are dangerous for littles. Burns, bad burns, very dangerous.

WET BLANKET ALERT

Those are dangerous for littles. Burns, bad burns, very dangerous.

Only if they scrub their skin with it! So, make sure they don't do that. And if they do, they won't do it again.;) It doesn't cause chemical burns, but rather friction burns (like carpet burn.) I don't consider them any more dangerous than sandpaper.

Don't fall into the legalism of long hair and long dresses. Yes, on some people the Victorian style looks beautiful. On some, the Little House on the Prairie Look can be pretty.

Find your own beauty.

It doesn't have to be a dress to look pretty. What styles do you like? What styles does your dh like?

I'm sort of a tomboy and feel best in jeans. When I'm going out I try to put on stylish shoes and do my hair and make up a bit. My husband always complements me when I wear a black t shirt.

You'll look the prettiest when you are COMFORTABLE with what you are wearing.

I don't know where you live but here we have great sales at Dillards and Kohls. I saw some really cute tops and blouses at Wal Mart today. Target has stylish clothing for reasonable prices.

You like jeans and Tshirts... just like me..... Two pairs of jeans and 4 Tshirts in fashionable colors will take you a long way.

Be very careful if you are feeling "convicted" to start dressing in a certain way. I personally think Christian women should be modest, but that doesn't mean Victorian or dresses only. :)

:hurray::hurray::cheers2::iagree:I haven't read the other responses, but if I could shout the above from the rooftops, I would. I don't know what blogs you've come across, but I've seen many heavy on the legalism in this regard. Dress how you feel makes YOU feel/look good, as well as your husband. You already said he compliments you when you wear some things. Everyone else can go jump in a lake!!

I know this thread is a few days old, but I ran across it while doing a search for something else and I just had to respond. I didn't read all of the responses, so I could be repeating something already said...

First of all, to the OP, I wanted to say that I, too, have been feeling a lot of the same things you are. Not to the extent of wearing dresses all of the time, but definitely understanding what you're saying about dressing in a more feminine way.

I was doing a little "study" on the verses regarding modesty a few months back and found something that I thought was very interesting, yet not discussed much when the topic is modesty. I'm including a link for you to check this out yourself (below). The word used for modest in 1 Timothy 2:9 is kosmios and means well arranged, seemly, modest. I just thought that it was very interesting that well arranged and seemly (which means good looking, handsome, agreeably fashioned; attractive; conventionally proper) are definitions of this Greek word used for modest in the Bible. It seems that most Christians tend to only focus on the "You shouldn't wear this, this or this" part of the modesty issue, but fail to include that modesty also means to dress in a well arranged and seemly (attractive) way. Kind of like what the enemy did in the garden - leading Eve to believe that God was very restrictive by twisting God's words and failing to include the truth of all of the freedom that God had given to them in the garden.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2887&t=KJV

Just wanted to throw that out there -- it was an eye-opener to me.

First of all, to the OP, I wanted to say that I, too, have been feeling a lot of the same things you are. Not to the extent of wearing dresses all of the time, but definitely understanding what you're saying about dressing in a more feminine way.

I was doing a little "study" on the verses regarding modesty a few months back and found something that I thought was very interesting, yet not discussed much when the topic is modesty. I'm including a link for you to check this out yourself (below). The word used for modest in 1 Timothy 2:9 is kosmios and means well arranged, seemly, modest. I just thought that it was very interesting that well arranged and seemly (which means good looking, handsome, agreeably fashioned; attractive; conventionally proper) are definitions of this Greek word used for modest in the Bible. It seems that most Christians tend to only focus on the "You shouldn't wear this, this or this" part of the modesty issue, but fail to include that modesty also means to dress in a well arranged and seemly (attractive) way. Kind of like what the enemy did in the garden - leading Eve to believe that God was very restrictive by twisting God's words and failing to include the truth of all of the freedom that God had given to them in the garden.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2887&t=KJV

Just wanted to throw that out there -- it was an eye-opener to me.

Thanks so much for sharing, very interesting!

I posted the original post about a week ago, and during this week I've been conciously trying to make more of an effort. I bought some new tops, none of them more than $3.00, used the makeup that I bought with the gift card I asked for and got for Christmas, and got some new shoes (mistake, hate them, shoulda spent more on a good pair). It is mind boggling to me how much this has affected people. Seriously! Every.single.person. I have been in contact with during the week has made some kind of shocked comment about it. It is really mind boggling!

Some of the highlights:

Other mothers at PE = "you look like you've lost 20 pounds" (ha!:lol::lol:)

AWANA leader = "what has happened to you?"

Close friends = "ohmygosh! have you had a makeover?"

DS's piano teacher= "you look ADORABLE! what is going on!??!)

Librarian = "Oh my! where is your Cardinal's hat? It it lost?"

DH = comments not suitable for public viewing ;)

It is really odd. Not good, exactly; not bad, just odd. Someone on this thread said that we get up, get dressed, and don't have to see ourselves for the rest of the day. I think maybe I realize how many people do actually have to see me and that maybe my superpower cape that renders me invisible has been defective all these years. DS's piano teacher told me at the end of his lesson today that I've inspired her to look for her hairbrush (:lol:).

That's my update. I know a few other people were feeling inspired, so if anyone else has an update, I'd love to hear it. (I'd really love to just know I'm not alone and crazy. :lol::001_huh:)

"Oh my! where is your Cardinal's hat? It it lost?"

Laughing at this....I love my hats! My dh made the mistake of telling me I look cute in baseball hats years ago and now I've used that as an excuse all too often to throw one on when I don't feel like going through my "going out into public" routine. Glad I ran across this thread because it's reminding me of what I feel God has been gently "hammering" me about, too (as you said in one of your earlier posts).

I think you should revel in the changes that God is taking you through. He made women beautiful (I believe the Hebrew word that is used for when He made Eve is different than the wording used for when He created Adam. It's a word that means "fashioned"). He made us to love beautiful things. He made men to appreciate the beauty and, obviously, your dh is pleased. Enjoy it. I believe you are honoring God and your dh (and yourself, as a human made in the image of God).

I think you should revel in the changes that God is taking you through. He made women beautiful (I believe the Hebrew word that is used for when He made Eve is different than the wording used for when He created Adam. It's a word that means "fashioned"). He made us to love beautiful things. He made men to appreciate the beauty and, obviously, your dh is pleased. Enjoy it. I believe you are honoring God and your dh (and yourself, as a human made in the image of God).

That's really beautiful. What a great way to think of it! :001_smile: