Menu

Help with my K'er for next fall

littleWMN

She turns 5 next week and generally loves to learn and is enthusiastic about "school". She has a delayed 4 year old sister, we're adding a new baby brother in March, and her oldest sister (8) has ADHD. So sometimes I feel like she gets lost in the shuffle.

Right now she knows most letters by sound and sight (capital letters, not lowercase). She can count pretty high but does not know many numbers by sight. I haven't started anything in the way of calendars/community helpers/etc.

We make use of starfall.com and time4learning.com, both of which we love. I'm thinking of adding in Phonics Pathways for more hands-on instruction with me.

For math, I am at a loss. Her older sister has really struggled in math and now I am gun shy. I'd love something solid yet do-able. I do have RightStarts card games but no instructions on how to play them (any input there? is there a book?).

She LOVES to sing and can learn songs after listening to them once or twice. I'd love to implement some learning in this way.

Her older sister will be doing MFW ECC and ROS chemistry, which she can very lightly participate in.

I guess I'm mostly interested in resources to fulfill my goal, which would be a laidback, flexible, and fun year of learning that doesn't cost too much. I WAY overspent on K for my oldest and it was totally unneccessary.

What is YOUR focus for K? What resources/websites/curricula, etc. help you reach these goals?

Other than Handwriting Without Tears, Phonics Pathways, and the few online resources we use, I don't have any other "plans". Math is a big one for me, as well as how to utilize her strengths in learning (musically, etc).

Thanks in advance!

I really, really love Miquon for this age. It's inexpensive, hands-on, and fun.

My focus for K will be getting my guy reading fluently, basic writing, and basic addition/subtraction, along with just reading a lot of books. I put most stuff together myself. I have a master list of books I want to read to him over this year (preK) and next, and I review it occasionally for use at the bookstore or library, or to remind myself to get some books out where they are more likely to be read.

The only thing I am doing differently with him that I did not do with my daughter is getting some science kits designed for his age, that we'll do on occasion.

:lurk5:

I was JUST about to post something kind of similar! My ds is a bit older, 5.5 right now, but I have called this year pre-k. We've done some of Little Hands to Heaven and some other basic and fun stuff, no real curriculum. He's about like your dd - can recognize uppercase letters and make their sounds, can count up to 20 most of the time and can recognize up to 10.

I have already committed to Sing, Spell, Read, Write for this fall for phonics, so now I am trying to figure out what to do with Math. I want it to be fun, but have a strong foundation. I have looked at Horizons, CLE, RightStart, Singapore, Math Mammoth, Math-U-See, all of them! I have NO CLUE what to choose. I like the concept of RS, but not the price and wonder if it's too similar (games and such) to SSRW that it would be weird.

My dd (9.5) is thriving with CLE, but that's a bit of a different case. Her experience was being pulled from ps and put into Singapore, being miserable and feeling like a failure, then moving to CLE. So it's been a God-send. But my son is a blank slate. I don't know what his learning style really is yet...other than: :w00t::seeya::willy_nilly::biggrinjester: Cathy Duffy might call him a Wiggly Willy. All the 5 year old boys I know are this! I really like CLE, but don't know if the 100 level is right for a Ker. Anyone know?

Anyways, I will be listening to this thread!!! :bigear:

I really, really love Miquon for this age. It's inexpensive, hands-on, and fun.

My focus for K will be getting my guy reading fluently, basic writing, and basic addition/subtraction, along with just reading a lot of books. I put most stuff together myself. I have a master list of books I want to read to him over this year (preK) and next, and I review it occasionally for use at the bookstore or library, or to remind myself to get some books out where they are more likely to be read.

The only thing I am doing differently with him that I did not do with my daughter is getting some science kits designed for his age, that we'll do on occasion.

:iagree: Miquon (combined with Cuisenaire Rods, the main math manipulative used in Miquon) is an amazing way to get a child (and a nervous parent) off to a great start in becoming "math loving" people.

It does require a parent to stretch their thinking a little. Including reading the three Miquon teachers books/booklets, and preparing oneself that it might look decidedly odd at first glance (it's not really, but may provoke a panic attack until you realize it's actually simple).

The ideas in the teachers books for how to teach math are really insightful. The C Rods give young children a means for solving all sorts of equations themselves (a big confidence booster) and they also learn re-grouping skills that really pay-off if they transition to program like Singapore Math (which is a natural partner with Miquon) and/or MEP.

Miquon really gets kids to think. Gives them concrete tools to help them make "discoveries" and find solutions and I'm convinced helps to build "mathy" minds in a fun way

And the teacher materials (with special kudos to The First Grade Diary) helped me become a much better math teacher to my son.

Best wishes.

Bill

What is YOUR focus for K?

My focus for K was to get a little guy to do his work efficiently, starting with 5 minutes at a time. I did this because I work full time, but you might want to do this because you'll be, well, working full time.:)

I wanted him to love Miquon, but my guy really loathed it and only wanted to build trucks from the rods. He prefers mental math (he is musical, too). We did EB math and moved onto 1 A about age 5.5. Since kiddo is musical (I bring this up because you said yours was, too), we did counting by counting out the beats to waltzes (ONE two three FOUR five six) or some adagio piece for skip counting.

You can also learn the Universe song, but I changed the British rude word at the end to "very little", as in "very little down here on earth". You can learn it here:

My son also loved the They Might Be Giants

which introduced him to saying things like Ashurbanipal.

You can also get a lot of mileage from Peter and the Wolf at this age. We liked the 1812 Overture and I would tell the "story of it" until kiddo could say "here come the folk dancers", "now the cannons roar" "I here marchers" "Viva Le France!" etc. It made him feel very clever to be able to mimic Mommy.

Those are my musical ideas. HTH.

I used Miquon math with dd for K5. She adored it. The discovery approach really suited her. We were also using Singapore, which didn't exactly suit us. So we switched to Righstart for second grade. Because I was so impressed with Righstart I chose to use their kindergarten curr. with ds6, who is currently doing kindergarten. I am not a math-oriented person, and I love how Righstart has helped me learn to teach math and how it helps my kids to think about math concepts. It is a little pricey, though, so if you're looking to keep the costs down Miquon would probably be a better choice. I bought all of the Miquon books and still like to work in some of the pages when we have a chance because dd loves them so.

My goals for kindergarten have been a little different with each child because their abilities and strengths differ. Dd was eager to learn to read and write. She taught herself to write at age 3. She was already reading a bit when she started K5 and picked up reading so easily. Ds is passionate about science and intuitive about math, but wasn't too interested in learning to read or write.

My basic goals for kindergarten, though, are helping the child learn to read, making sure he/she can write all letters capital and lowercase, and introducing him/her to basic math concepts. Other than that we like to have a lot of free play time, fun outside activities, and field trips. Good luck!

We loved Saxon K--we used it just at the age your dd is. Since you haven't done any calendar and stuff like that, it'd be perfect. It's scripted, but you don't have to be a slave to the script, just aware of what it says. Instead of the meeting book, we used a large poster calendar and sticky notes in fun shapes, and index cards for each day's number (you keep track of what day you are on, and dc gets practice writing the numbers to past one hundred). I used colorful sentence strips for the day's pattern. It's really good! Your dd could have her own little place and her own little meeting with you as part of the morning.

I really like CLE, but don't know if the 100 level is right for a Ker. Anyone know?

My DD is using this for 1st grade. Unless your child is very "mathy", I would think it's too much for a K'er. It actually seems a little advanced for 1st grade IMO. We really like CLE but it definitely would have been way too much at the K level for us. My twin boy's are in K and using Singapore Earlybird. I will switch them to CLE for 1st grade. I also add in a little Math Mammoth which I really like and teaches a little different than CLE does. :)

In K the big focus is on learning to read, doing a bit of math, and beginning handwriting. I'd also throw in that you should read lots of books to her. It looks like you've got phonics and handwriting covered. As for math we really like RightStart.

If I had K to do over again, I would read up on the base ten programs. Solid ones have already been mentioned here: Miquon, Singapore Earlybird, RightStart. I have the RS games + Activites for the ALabacus and no matter what kind of program you go with (base ten or traditional) I cannot recommend this enough. It gives kids a visual memory of what number combinations look like instantly rather than tedious counting which will make higher math take forever.

If you go with a traditional math program, I suggest Horizons K with alot of math manipulatives. I used the Primary Math Manipulatives set from Calvert b/c I already had it on hand. Horizons starts the child out with recognizing & writing numbers. Having a calander/temperature/clock/number of the day (play w/ it - show what the written number represents w/ real life objects, and what it looks like on a place value chart, have the child show you 3 ways to "get to" that number using operations w/ positive & negative numbers & a number line)/review time before each lesson really helped here.

Good luck, and just remember the big thing at this age is to set a firm foundation in basics - don't worry about tons of "peripheral" math topics that are covered in later grades in some programs - they'll get to it and it will all be the same by the end of 6th grade. Play tons of math games - we played alot of made-up "marble math" games when my oldest son was in K to show regrouping for place value and grouping for multiplication, even though that wasn't on any of his worksheets.

We've done K basically the same for three kids now. We focus on the basics.

Phonics: Phonics Pathways

Writing: Copywork (I just buy blank paper and write up the assignments over the weekend.)

Math: Singapore 1A and Miquon Orange (If she hasn't done any formal math, I agree with the other poster that Singapore Earlybird would be a good option.)

Read Alouds: We just check out from the library. Our favorite one to start with is Three Tales of My Father's Dragon.

Keep it simple and have fun. HTH

Math is the one thing I have researched at length. Here is my current idea for math for the next few years. I'm sure it will change once we get started and figure out which program works best for us, but just based on the reviews I have read, here's the preliminary plan.

Stage 1 (advanced preschool / beginning kindergarten math):

Singapore EarlyBird Kindergarten Math Textbook A

Math-U-See’s Primer w/ Starter Blocks

Mathtacular 1 DVD

Stage 2 (advanced kindergarten / beginning 1st grade work):

After we complete Singapore KA and MUS Primer, we will probably add RightStart. So we will do the adding one digit in the RS book, then in the Sing book. Then the next topic, and so on. So they get lots of practice and several different approaches to each topic.

RightStart Level A

Singapore Math EarlyBird KB

Math-U-See’s US Alpha

Stage 3 (first grade and maybe a little second grade math):

RightStart Level B

Singapore Math Primary Math 1A

Miquon Orange Book & Red Book

Singapore Math Primary Math 1B

Miquon Blue Book & Green Book

Mathtacular 2 DVD

And maybe Math-U-See’s Beta as well

She LOVES to sing and can learn songs after listening to them once or twice. I'd love to implement some learning in this way.... What is YOUR focus for K?

I have the same kind of K'er girl here, one who loves to sing and learns so much from music. Here are some recs:

As far as the cost goes, check with your local library. At my library, most of these resources are available because we requested them. If you don't see it, ask the library to get it for you. :001_smile:

As far as the focus for this K'er, it's Writing Skills -- Handwriting, Copywork, and beginning Spelling -- but only because the K'er reads very well. Otherwise, the focus would definitely be on reading/phonics. We also work on Memory Work, Grammar & Narration, Math Lessons & Math Facts, Bible & Prims, Science (Animals & Art), and lots of Read Alouds. We still do Phonics & Early Readers, but she's pretty comfortable with reading. I don't think the twins will follow in the same footsteps, but we'll see. ;)

Our other emphasis is on getting along, establishing good habits, keeping a peaceful home, going to Grammy & Pop Pop's house, and having fun! :D I think it's so easy to stress out about Kindergarten, when a half-hour of steady, consistent seatwork a few days a week would be enough to move the child along the continuum of learning. HTH!

I just got the Teacher's Manual for Saxon K Math. There is NO writing as far as I can tell and it seems to go really slowly so we are doing this for K'er. We love Saxon 1 Math already - slower pace and very thorough.

Phonics - OPGTR is thorough and starts off reviewing the ABC's, sounds, etc. through song - my kids LOVE it.

Writing - HWT was great (but you already mentioned that)

That's about all I do for K, other than weekly PE, Science and Art project.

Oh, we are also doing K12 History/Geography modified b/c I LOVE History/Geography...

What is YOUR focus for K? What resources/websites/curricula, etc. help you reach these goals?

!

My goals are based on how older dd excels and she happens to be a workbook lover. Our curriculum is more "workbook" based even though I add project stuff in. I am a 3 R (reading, writing, arithmetic) kind of girl too for K.

Math -I also recommend Singapore Earlybird Math - we just finished it last week actually. DD is at a younger age for K so we are going to also go through Horizons Math K with a 1st grade supplement (Rod & Staff). Right now, before we start the new combo, she is working in Reader Rabbit K-1st Math - she wants to complete the certificate in the back of the book! Math is huge here because I'm finding that dd is very bright in math and she says that is her favorite thing for school.

Writing - no formal program yet, just what we find in the workbooks.

Reading- this is a mystery for me as I don't know what her reading level is (she reads in secret:glare:). I tried starting a formal phonics program with her a while ago (Horizons Phonics K) and she resisted so I stopped and let her do it on her own. She uses starfall.com and readingeggs.com and the occasional Evan Moor Phonics worksheet. She can read but again I'm not sure how much. I did buy BOB books recently and she was reading the first set with little help - haven't tried set 2 yet.

SOOOOO....what am I trying to say in all this mess???

Math - Singapore EB or Horizons K

Writing - can't help here yet

Reading - starfall.com, readingeggs.com, Evan Moor Phonics and BOB books.

ETA:The Evan Moor book we are using:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?CurriculumID=44&GradeID=3&SeriesID=10&TitleID=27&EmcID=27

Edited by MissKNG

Guest Cindie2dds

We've had so much fun doing Oak Meadow Kindergarten, Miquon and Queen's Language Lessons For Little Ones.

Edited by Cindie2dds

My focus for K was to have fun and get exposure to "school work" including world geography to prep for beginning world history in first grade.

Based on what you have stated I recommend:

Geography songs - I bought this last year and Ariel is still a fan of the songs. Even I have learned more world geography listening to it that I did in high school. :tongue_smilie:

You could pair this with Galloping the Globe and have a really fun geography-focused year and/or use What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know to cover all the PS bases. WeeBee Tunes DVDs (especially the first one) have really catchy songs

Math - Miquon or MEP Reception Year, very inexpensive and discovery-oriented.

Reading - You said Phonics Pathways. I hear it's very solid.

Handwriting - HWT

Science - The Lyrical Life Science text would probably be way above her abilities, but I have heard of parents whose younger children love to sing along with the songs. You could consider just letting her listen to the songs and getting library books and using WYKNTK or GTG for science topics more on her level.

You could also consider Song School Latin or Song School Greek if you have extra time.

Edited by Aurelia

Thank you all so much! So much to digest.

I may check out Saxon K again and see what it's all about.

You would think I haven't taught K before. But my older dd started reading at before age 4 and she was just a different child totally. I think Melody needs a gentle, encouraging start tailored to her needs.

Thanks again for all the input. Off to check out the song suggestions... :bigear:

My goals are based on how older dd excels and she happens to be a workbook lover. Our curriculum is more "workbook" based even though I add project stuff in. I am a 3 R (reading, writing, arithmetic) kind of girl too for K.

Math -I also recommend Singapore Earlybird Math - we just finished it last week actually. DD is at a younger age for K so we are going to also go through Horizons Math K with a 1st grade supplement (Rod & Staff). Right now, before we start the new combo, she is working in Reader Rabbit K-1st Math - she wants to complete the certificate in the back of the book! Math is huge here because I'm finding that dd is very bright in math and she says that is her favorite thing for school.

Writing - no formal program yet, just what we find in the workbooks.

Reading- this is a mystery for me as I don't know what her reading level is (she reads in secret:glare:). I tried starting a formal phonics program with her a while ago (Horizons Phonics K) and she resisted so I stopped and let her do it on her own. She uses starfall.com and readingeggs.com and the occasional Evan Moor Phonics worksheet. She can read but again I'm not sure how much. I did buy BOB books recently and she was reading the first set with little help - haven't tried set 2 yet.

SOOOOO....what am I trying to say in all this mess???

Math - Singapore EB or Horizons K

Writing - can't help here yet

Reading - starfall.com, readingeggs.com, Evan Moor Phonics and BOB books.

ETA:The Evan Moor book we are using:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?CurriculumID=44&GradeID=3&SeriesID=10&TitleID=27&EmcID=27

My daughter really likes the Evan Moor Phonics book too :) I'm using C & D to make sure my son has his phonics mastered as well (I know he's missing something but have yet to find it, lol) She loves readingeggs.com too :)

I may check out Saxon K again and see what it's all about.

One thing I've read/heard about Saxon is that the grades run lower, like Saxon K is more PreK work and Saxon 1 is more K like work and so on. If you are looking for K math, make sure to check out Saxon 1.

I did MUS Primer with my K-er last year, and it was a great fit. Easy for me, gentle but thorough for her. I think it's a good choice for a K year!

I've done MFW K twice now, and that might be a possibility. Basic math is included in that, and phonics. It's a wonderful, gentle but fun year. It meshes nicely with ECC too. (we did add MUS Primer to it)