Menu

S/O what finished by the end of....How about by the end of 2nd?

kalanamak

The 2nd grader will have finished:

Singapore 1b, 2a, 2b

Many, many Kumon math reinforcement books :tongue_smilie:

Handwriting without Tears Cursive

CLE LA 200 series

Sonlight Core 1+2 Read-alouds and History

Sonlight 2 intermediate readers

Grammar Island

Music of the Hemispheres

BJU Spelling 2nd gr

Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day

Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

Map Skills 2nd gr

Various Unit Studies (da Vinci, Brother's Grimm, Ancient Greece)

Writing with Ease 2

Whew... :tongue_smilie:

Boy, looking at the previous post, I am thoroughly depressed. My older children did that, but here is where we are. Where we will finish, I don't know.

Math- We finished singapore 1 B and are stuck in 2a. She doesn't know her basic subtraction facts. I'm doing calculadder drills, but she can't even get the first one under 3 minutes. So how can she do subtraction with borrowing???? She understands multiplication. She adds and subtracts money easily. She knows time. We have several workbooks from Katy ISd that she is doing from MIL.

Grammar- Katy ISD workbook i just got

Reading- She JUSt started reading chapter books after getting the Faries series for Christmas. She is reading one or two a day. I'm trying to get her to do American girl or Magic Tree HOuse or Box Car or any of the other millions of ones I have, but she LOVES these and thinks the others are too hard. This is the first thing she has wanted to read. Considering a year ago she stumbled over pronouncing cat, I'm thrilled.

History- I read one book a week from the TOG list.

Just started cursive, not sure if we'll be finished with the workbook or not.

Science- Now that she is finally reading, we started Apologia Astronomy and just finished ch2. I hope to finish that by semester.

She takes violin.

Phonics- ETC 4 1/2, which we are 3/4 way through. We might finish 5 by semester. She does Saxon phonics 2 and was breezing her way through until last week. It is now new material and the pace has gone back to two days per lesson. AT this pace, we won't finish.

That's it and she hates it all but reading her fairy books and anything like history or science that I read to her. She hates workbooks with a passion, but I'm teaching a 7th grader and a 9th grader. I can't be with her all the time. We have tears and screaming daily.. I hate it. I much prefer being her mommy and not her teacher. I love the summer and vacations and hate school with her. IT is so depressing. She is so lazy. Life cannot be fun all the time.

Christine.

Math- We finished singapore 1 B and are stuck in 2a. She doesn't know her basic subtraction facts. I'm doing calculadder drills, but she can't even get the first one under 3 minutes. So how can she do subtraction with borrowing???? She understands multiplication. She adds and subtracts money easily. She knows time.

I was worried about moving ahead without the basic math facts down, but was reassured here to just get a table to have at the desk and move ahead. Between that and Hot Dots, he is much better.

We both got very bored staying stuck in one place waiting for mastery. Once we mushed ahead, things got better.

:grouphug:

Mine finished

Saxon 3

10 lessons in Prima Latina

Most of Rod and Staff Grammar 2

SOTW 2 w/Activity Guide (made a really nice notebook)

Spelling Workout B and about 10? lessons in C

Not much science--tried Apologia but bagged it after 2 lessons. Did most of Home Science Adventures Microscopy.

Lots and lots of reading, both independent and read aloud. Her favs ranged from Magic Treehouse to Nancy Drew to Secret Garden to Little House books.

Little Visits with God devotional

My 2nd grader will have finished:

Singapore PM 3A

FLL 2

WWE 2

Mosdos Press Ruby

Spelling Workout D

Part of IEW's Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales

Queen's Pictures in Cursive, Book C

SOTW 1 with AG

REAL Sci Odyssey, Life, Level 1

MPH Sci, Level 3-4, Diversity

Pianimals, Book D

Karaoke for Kids

Ecoutez, Parlez, Book 3

Building Thinking Skills, Beginning

lots of library books!

Singapore 2B

HWT Print 2, 3

HWT Cursive 3, 4

AAS Levels 1, 2

FLL 1,2

WWE 1,2

Sonlight Science 2

Evan Moore Daily Geography 2

Song School Latin

SOTW 1

Meet the Masters Tracks A, B

Philosophy For Young Thinkers

Suzuki Violin Book 1 (Took 5 years!)

We are also going through the WWE book list and using them as read alouds with written narration. I didn't really think we've done all that much, but looking at it in a list, it makes me happy with our progress.

That's it and she hates it all but reading her fairy books and anything like history or science that I read to her. She hates workbooks with a passion, but I'm teaching a 7th grader and a 9th grader. I can't be with her all the time. We have tears and screaming daily.. I hate it. I much prefer being her mommy and not her teacher. I love the summer and vacations and hate school with her. IT is so depressing. She is so lazy. Life cannot be fun all the time.

Christine.

Insert Pokemon/Neopets for Faeries and you have my 7 year old son. I think this is just a lesson that some/many kids have to learn and this is the age to do it. It would be so easy to send him back to school but he had his teachers convinced he wasn't *capable* of the regular workload. He is extremely resistant to schooling and I know he is getting more and I am demanding more than anyone else will of him. As horrible as it is some days I know it's what we have to keep doing. This morning the lessons started with a prayer then a discussion how and whining and complaining about school would result in one warning followed by suspension of computer/video game privileges for the day. So far so good...

By the end of "2nd" grade:

MUS Beta (plus additional worksheets/calculadder/math computer games)

CW Autumn Primer

First half of WWE 1

HWOT - Print (plus copywork)

SotW Ancients w/ AG

Song School Latin

The Story of the Orchestra/Classics for Kids selections

Logic Safari

Greek Code Cracker

FLL 1,2

AAS level 1 (just started this week to remediate) possibly Level 2

Children's Illustrated Bible Old and New Testament

RS4K Biology pre-level 1

I am considering going to year round schooling to continue to allow for shorter days. This will depend on whether we decide that we can continue homeschooling in the years to come. I hope so!

Edited by Verity
added our list of "completed" 2nd grade subjects.

My second grader will have finished:

Maps, Charts, and Graphs

CHOW

SOTW 1

Two math programs, and possibly a third

1 science program

multiple science projects

1/2 of WWE 1

FLL for Grades 1 and 2

Handwriting 2

20 weeks of spelling lessons from an Orthodox site (we started halfway through the year)

T4L Math and Language Arts

There's more but I can't think of it right now!

Horizons 2

copywork that has taught her: capitalization, end punctuation, quotation marks, nouns, verbs, adjs, and advs.

reading on a approx 4th grade level

spelling

some nature books (topics such as bees, ants, worms, weather, plants)

religion

National geographic Map Essentials

That's it and is completed in approx 1 1/2-2 hrs per day.

Horizons 2

copywork that has taught her: capitalization, end punctuation, quotation marks, nouns, verbs, adjs, and advs.

reading on a approx 4th grade level

spelling

some nature books (topics such as bees, ants, worms, weather, plants)

religion

National geographic Map Essentials

That's it and is completed in approx 1 1/2-2 hrs per day.

My list is very similiar.

Here's where we are 1/2 way through 2nd grade:

Beginning RightStart C

Beginning WWE2

Preparing for First Holy Communion in April

Progressing through SL Advanced Level 2 Readers

Continuing copywork (grammar, spelling & handwriting)

Rowing FIAR books 2-3/month

Continuing IEW Poetry Memorization

Continuing nature study

Continuing composer and artist studies

Continuing public school PE & music

Focusing on handicrafts this spring - knitting and gardening

Most importantly, my dd has developed a love of learning and our family relationships have never been stronger. :) Second grade has been wonderful!!! :hurray:

Her formal lessons are about 1 1/2 hours/day.

Before I post my list, I see several of you w/maps, charts, and graphs on your list. Who is the publisher of this? I want to add more geography next year. I have one workbook in mind, but would love more suggestions to look at before I buy.

Ok, our 2nd grade list. She will finish:

Rod and Staff Math 3

Rod and Staff English 2

Rod and Staff phonics 2

Rod and Staff Penmanship 2

Rod and Staff Music 2

WTM overview of Earth and Space Science

SOTW 2, also w/awesome notebook

She should complete a how to book on playing the recorder she is teaching herself by then.

We should finish the music and art sections of What Your 2nd grader needs to know and tons of SOTW 2 arts and crafts activities.

AT co-op:

2 semester long unit studies of American Girl books series at co-op.

2 semesters of study of Old Testament Bible Holidays and Festivals at co-op.

Some of Kinderbach Music at co-op.

A year of ballet and tap, and hopefully one season of Soccer in the spring, plus competing in hs. track day, and learning to ride a bike w/out training wheels. (we shall see on the bike:)), also, swimming and ice skating.

About 8 or 9 Try its at girls scouts

Boy, looking at the previous post, I am thoroughly depressed. My older children did that, but here is where we are. Where we will finish, I don't know.

Christine.

:grouphug:

Like I said in the 1st grade post...everybody's circumstances are different. We got all that finished because we were basically homeless and had nothing better to do than study. Schoolwork was the one solid thing this year that kept our kids going.

Among other things, by the end of 2nd grade, my daughter:

-knows addition and subtraction facts to 20

-can confidently add and subtract larger numbers

-knows multiplication tables through 12

-knows the parts of speech

-can write legibly in cursive

-can spell the majority of common words

-can use subordinating and coordinating conjunctions to make sentences

-can pick up and read any text she comes across

-knows many of the elements on the periodic table

-knows the Greek gods and the stories from the Odyssey

-knows about the earliest civilizations, Greece and Rome

Of course, she's done a lot more... but these things are all discrete skills and knowledge that I think a good second grade education should particularly include. At this point, we're still working on cursive and multiplication facts and we haven't yet hit Rome, but we're well on our way and I'm positive that she'll be successful.

Mine will finish by June:

- Math Mammoth 2A and 2B

- ETC 5-8

- HWT Printing Power, might possibly have started the cursive book

- WWE 2

- The World of Animals (God's Design Science; we've started early since I was going to save it for 3rd grade so it won't be done in it's entirety but probably the animal book will be)

- my own made-up ancient history lessons combining The Story of the Ancient World, Understanding the Old World (R&S), the Bible, plus some picture books

- Canada, My Country

- Music for Little Mozarts book 3

- plus lots of reading!

That's it and she hates it all but reading her fairy books and anything like history or science that I read to her. She hates workbooks with a passion, but I'm teaching a 7th grader and a 9th grader. I can't be with her all the time. We have tears and screaming daily.. I hate it. I much prefer being her mommy and not her teacher. I love the summer and vacations and hate school with her. IT is so depressing. She is so lazy. Life cannot be fun all the time. Christine.

:grouphug: Boy have I been there. Feelin' your pain.

By the the end of April he will have finished:

Singapore 3A-3B

STOW Vol. 2 and related reading

GWG2

WWE2

through ETC 8 because he likes it:tongue_smilie:

AAS level 3

Homemade Earth Science/Astronomy curriculum including too many models and dioramas all of which he insists we keep

Song School Latin

Suzuki Piano 1 & part of 2

and baseball, swimming and ballet

and most importantly, of course, he will have perfected to performance level several new magic tricks!

Will be done with:

GWG 1 and 2

Sing math 2A and B and ???

WWE 1

SOTW 2 with extra map workbooks

R.E.A.L level 1 earth/ space and many read alouds and field trips

SWR through section K and AAS books 1 and 2

Childsized Masterpieces (whole program) and much art and music

Roller staking, ice skating and skiing unawkwardly

Tool nomenclature, use, and safety, e.g. one handed hammer use and coping saw use

Hope to start:

Piano

Minimus

Z-B 2C

However, my biggest goal is to have kiddo reading at 3rd grade level by 1 Aug and I think we'll make it!!

Before I post my list, I see several of you w/maps, charts, and graphs on your list. Who is the publisher of this? I want to add more geography next year. I have one workbook in mind, but would love more suggestions to look at before I buy.

Sonlight sells Maps and Globes in Core 2 - you can buy it seperately.

Also, we bought those Map Skills for 2nd Grade (and 1st grade) workbooks from one of the Parent-Teacher Stores.

My son has a summer birthday, and although the school district considers him a third grader, 2nd grade is a better overall fit based on his skill level. I may try to get him reclassified as a 2nd grader.

Anyway, in this weird 2nd/3rd grade year, he will have finished:

Sonlight Core 2

CLE LA 200 series

Core Skills Reading Comp. 2nd & 3rd grade

ETC 5-7

Getty-Dubay Italics B & C

CLE math 300

Singapore 2A/2B (we use as a supplement)

Science is a hodge-podge of Snap Circuits, RSO Earth & Space, and documentaries.