Menu

Is it even possible to find non-stretch, mid-rise, short jeans for under $100?

I have to find some jeans. I was trying to wait until I had lost all of the weight I wanted to, because I am short and have an excrutiatingly difficult time finding jeans that fit. Even most of the "short" lengths are too long for me. But, alas, my last two good pairs of jeans have developed holes which make them indecent to wear in public. So, I must buy some now.

I'm seeking non-stretch (100% cotton), mid-rise, short jeans in straight or slightly flared/bootcut. And the prices I'm seeing for this are outrageous! I found a store called the Buckle that will alter for free any jeans that I buy there, which would be great for the length issue. But they didn't have anything under $70, and most were around $100. I'm just not used to paying that much. Am I being unrealistic?

I tried on jeans at GAP, but none of them fit. They all had stretch and fit me weird, and even the ankle length was too long. I used to buy only American Eagle because they carry short lengths that are perfect for my height. But, they're all ultra-low now. And I'm 31. Their jeans were well-suited to me when I was a college student and twenty-something. But I feel as if I need something a little more mature (but not old ladyish yet!) now. Especially after having 2 kids which left me with a bit of a "muffin top". Any ideas? Thanks.

Have you checked Lands End or LL Bean?

They're just not my style. No offense to anyone who does like that style! It's just not me. Thanks, though, for offering help. Maybe I'm just too picky? I guess I just know what I like and don't want to settle for anything else. But I also don't want to pay $200 for a pair of jeans. So, I'm sort of stuck. Thanks, though.

I would not worry about the length - you can always get an alteration - and focus on fit/style and your budget.

A store like Nordtrom has a range of jeans/prices and will do alterations on full-price pants for free.

Have you checked Banana Republic, Ann Taylor (carry petite), Ann Taylor Loft (carry petite), or, a Levi's store. I think that with Levi's there is even an option to enter your specifics and have it cut to you.

The challenge today is the 100% cotton - seems like they sneak Spandex into everything!

Good luck.

They're just not my style. No offense to anyone who does like that style! It's just not me. Thanks, though, for offering help. Maybe I'm just too picky? I guess I just know what I like and don't want to settle for anything else. But I also don't want to pay $200 for a pair of jeans. So, I'm sort of stuck. Thanks, though.

LOL! What style IS your style? Lands End has tons of them! They have several in the regular section of their site, but there are quite a few more in the overstock section right now, and several are rigid fabric. Cheap, too, with 100% satisfaction guarantee, and you can return them to Sears. It's worth another look, just in case! If nothing else, you might find something cheap you could tolerate while you search for the "perfect" jeans. Check out this link: http://tinyurl.com/yehnqkf

Edited by klmama

I wouldn't worry about getting jeans to fit your length, either....just go find some that fit everywhere else and have them hemmed with the original hem. Nice department stores will do this or you should be able to find a tailor/seamstress to do it for you. Or, better yet do it yourself and save $20. My sis has done several of her jeans like this and says it's very easy, as long as the jeans don't have a huge flared leg (even then, it's still do-able). Here's a link for instructions with comments from lots of people - some who barely know how to sew saying it was easy for them.

http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

I seem to find my best jeans at nice consignment stores in big cities or at Plato's Closet (don't know if you have something like that in your area)....

Good luck!

Ok... call me cheap, but try the Good will or Salvation Army... and then pay another $6 to get them altered. Should end up under $20 :-) Just a thought:-) I'm 38 and I was just buying this one Old Navy jean that I liked.... but they were $30 or so... and then I went to the Good will. Our jeans are about $7.00 and the Salvation Army... I can buy for under $5. and here's the thing... there are a tons of brands:-)

Just a thought.... Who would have thought I'd turn into my mom:-)

:-)

I'm 5'3.5". My favorites are LuckyBrand and DKNY. I still usually have to hem. I haven't checked prices in awhile.

These are my favorite brands, too, but they all have 1-2% spandex. I don't know if this is too much "stretch" for the OP. I buy all my Lucky jeans from Costco during the back to school season for $34-$49. Macy's carries the DKNY jeans, and I've also found them at the DKNY outlet stores. I need to have my Lucky jeans hemmed, but not my DKNY jeans.

Oh, almost forgot, Calvin Klein & Gloria Vanderbilt jeans are back, and they fit wonderfully.

I'm 5'2".

Have you tried Old Navy? They FINALLY have some midrise jeans that actually cover a mother's body. They have them in different cuts, flare/bootcut/skinny, etc., and I think I paid $29.99 for the pair I bought recently. Some of them may have stretch, but I don't know about all of them.

Why in the world would you want jeans that aren't stretchy? Stretchy jeans were the best invention ever. I can move all around with nothing pulling anywhere. The jeans move like they were a natural part of my body.

For me, it's because if there is any stretch in them, they will become too big in the waist. (My waist is somewhat small.) The jeans will fit fine in the store, but by the end of an 8 hour day, the waist is too big, which means they sag down on my waist, which means the butt sags, which is the big jean no-no! When I was telling my MIL about how irritating that is, she said, "Get a jean w/o any stretch in it." So I did and for the first time EVER, my jeans haven't stretched.

OP: Have you tried on a low-rise jean? I finally caved and did, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. (I'm 37) I can't wear a clingy top with them, because of the muffin top, but if I wear a turtleneck with a fitted sweater on top, you can't really see the muffin, but I still can show off my small waist without anyone knowing about the huge muffin below :tongue_smilie:. I'm only asking because it would open your options a little more if you can stand a low-rise jean.

I'm 5'3.5 (like the other person who posted!) and I got my low-rise, non-stretchy jeans at Old Navy for $15 (on sale), normally $29.99.

Edited by Garga

Ok... call me cheap, but try the Good will or Salvation Army... and then pay another $6 to get them altered. Should end up under $20 :-) Just a thought:-) I'm 38 and I was just buying this one Old Navy jean that I liked.... but they were $30 or so... and then I went to the Good will. Our jeans are about $7.00 and the Salvation Army... I can buy for under $5. and here's the thing... there are a tons of brands:-)

Just a thought.... Who would have thought I'd turn into my mom:-)

:-)

I ditto this and not just for the cost. I am also very particular about the style and cut of my jeans and I actually find more at Goodwill than anywhere else. It does take more time because you have to try everything on but I always find plenty.

Have you tried Old Navy? They FINALLY have some midrise jeans that actually cover a mother's body. They have them in different cuts, flare/bootcut/skinny, etc., and I think I paid $29.99 for the pair I bought recently. Some of them may have stretch, but I don't know about all of them.

Old Navy's jeans have been wonderful for me. They always fit me! It is so nice to be able to walk into a store, knowing for sure that you can choose from various styles of jeans that will all fit you. Any mid-rise, short jean in my size at Old Navy will fit me.

As for the stretch, I can't imagine that not being flattering? Most of Old Navy's do have it, but a few don't. I would still give it a try, if you haven't yet.

For me, it's because if there is any stretch in them, they will become too big in the waist. (My waist is somewhat small.) The jeans will fit fine in the store, but by the end of an 8 hour day, the waist is too big, which means they sag down on my waist, which means the butt sags, which is the big jean no-no! When I was telling my MIL about how irritating that is, she said, "Get a jean w/o any stretch in it." So I did and for the first time EVER, my jeans haven't stretched.

OP: Have you tried on a low-rise jean? I finally caved and did, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. (I'm 37) I can't wear a clingy top with them, because of the muffin top, but if I wear a turtleneck with a fitted sweater on top, you can't really see the muffin, but I still can show off my small waist without anyone knowing about the huge muffin below :tongue_smilie:. I'm only asking because it would open your options a little more if you can stand a low-rise jean.

I'm 5'3.5 (like the other person who posted!) and I got my low-rise, non-stretchy jeans at Old Navy for $15 (on sale), normally $29.99.

I agree about the stretch element. They tend to stretch out over the course of the day and just sag. Also, I just don't like the feel of them. The texture and fit of 100% cotton denim is so much preferable to me. Real denim jeans just feel so comfy to me, whereas the ones with spandex or lycra or whatever feel clingy.

I've had stretch jeans before in several different brands from the $20 Levi's at Walmart to much more pricey ones from Gap. So, I know from experience that I don't like them; it's not that I'm afraid to try them. While the Levi's did get me through that awkward period after my second child was born when I wasn't quite back down to my normal size yet, I really didn't like the clingy feeling, and they were always sagging down my rear. That's why I purposefully sought out 100% cotton jeans when I last bought jeans, and why I'm holding out for them now.

I have been wearing low-rise jeans for the past 13 years since I first found a pair that was low-rise when getting ready to go to college. I absolutely loved low-rise, until just recently. I have gained a few pounds over the last few years, and I carry it all in my middle. I have love handles and a squishy pouch in front, and it all becomes a muffin top (and saddle bags) when I put on low-rise jeans. I've tried to hide it under sweaters and longer tops, but if I have to crouch down or bend, I'm constantly pulling down my top, worried that the gap in the back of my jeans is going to leave me exposed.:blushing: Also, I was reading recently that women who are short/petitie look taller in mid-rise jeans with a straight leg or one that is just slightly flared, because it creates a long line that gives the illusion of having longer legs. While I love how nice the low-rise jeans make my rear look, I think I'm ready to move on to a mid-rise.

I think my op may have made me sound as if I'm an old-fashioned, overweight person trying to buck the fashion trends, but really I dress very modernly (is that a word?), even with my squishy middle I'm still a size 8 or 10 in most jeans, and maybe I'm just a little opposite of most people in my opinion of stretch. I did admit that I'm picky, though. :001_smile:

They do have a bit of spandex, but it does not sag like the spandex in Levi's or Torrid's jeans. (As I know from experience.)

Now, I am biggish, and I wear a size 18W in NYDJ. I buy them at Nordstrom's and they cost about $70 IIRC, unless I find them there on sale. Nord's will shorten them for you for free if you buy them at full price; otherwise I take them to the dry cleaner who does it for $6.

I cannot say enough about these jeans. They are high enough to cover and keep covering. The waist does not sag, ever. The cloth feels like 100% cotton, not like icky spandex. The cut makes me look about a size smaller. And they wear like IRON. I have worn one pair of blue ones once or twice a week since I bought them over a year ago, and they are seriously in just about new condition, despite all those washings. The cloth is soft but tough. Last summer at a junior high retreat I fell and impaled my thigh on a wickedly sharp 3 inch diameter cut off tree trunk, and the jeans did not tear or even mar. Truthfully, I searched for good jeans for a very long time before settling on these, and they are worth every penny. Plus I do believe that they are holding up so well that having them is comparable to having 2-3 pairs of other brands, including Levi's.

Nordstrom's takes returns, so you can try them and take them back if they don't work out. BTW, in order to have them shortened, I took them home and washed and dried them repeatedly in case they would shrink, and THEN took them back for free alterations.