Menu

How Bad Guys get Info from Msg Boards

I know you are all sick and tired of reading my harping about OPSEC (operational security) and giving out what is actually considered confidential, secure and/or classified information over the internet when "it's all over the news", so I thought I would take a moment to explain what it is I am talking about.

I have been around this stuff for over 20 years. What we all "see in the news" seems, on the surface, to be very specific. It isn't. Here are some examples from the recent horrific disaster in Haiti:

15 Jan 2010 00:44:20 GMT

Source: Reuters

Jan 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. military is mobilizing thousands of soldiers, sailors and Marines along with members of the Air Force and Coast Guard for relief efforts in Haiti. Here are the main military components announced so far:

WHO'S THERE ALREADY?

* The vast majority of the forces announced for Haiti have not yet arrived, but the military has flown in hundreds of rescuers and has advance teams and assessment teams on the ground. Air Force special forces were among the first military relief workers to arrive. The Coast Guard has deployed four ships as well as air support for evacuation efforts. The Navy destroyer USS Higgins, with about 320 sailors on board, arrived on Thursday.

These are past tense events. All of the people are already on the ground/in port/in a secure area. This is technically not "news", it is old information.

MORE THAN 5,000 MARINES, SOLDIERS

* Up to 3,500 soldiers from the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg will be deployed in Haiti by Sunday.

This effectively tells you nothing. There could be 3,500 troops, there could be none. And it could happen anytime between now and Sunday.

An advance group of about 125 troops were due to arrive on Thursday and 800 more will arrive on Friday.

Were due does not equal WILL arrive. It equals MAY arrive. The military is extremely careful to parse. One notices that the large contingent, the 800, is listed as a WILL; this is because a bad guy has no compunction about attacking 125 guys, but will think twice or three times about attacking 800-925 guys.

* Another 2,200 Marines from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit at Camp Lejeune, N.C., may arrive this weekend or on Monday for what initially is expected to be about a 90-day deployment.

Or, they may arrive earlier. Or later. And they may stay for a shorter period or a longer period. No one really knows. And that is how the Marines want the information disseminated.

AMPHIBIOUS GROUP, FLOATING HOSPITAL

* An amphibious readiness group with three ships -- the USS Bataan, the USS Fort McHenry and USS Carter Hall -- will take the Marines to Haiti. This group can produce its own purified water.

It is hard to miss a ship leaving port. But ships can take as much time as they need to once at sea to adjust for incoming intelligence. Hence pointing out that they can make water (that water isn't just for refugees). We don't just keep information from bad guys - we give them messages, too.

* A U.S. Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Carl Vinson, with a crew of between 4,000-5,000 sailors on board, is on the way and will arrive in the area by Friday, with 19 helicopters on board. It has three operating rooms, several dozen hospital beds and can produce fresh water.

This bit does not identify an exact number of military personnel, or what their specialties are. And again, water.

* The much-anticipated hospital ship, the USNS Comfort, will not arrive until around Jan. 22. It has 12 operating rooms and 250 hospital beds. The Pentagon says the Comfort is a slow-moving vessel and will need a week to arrive in Haiti.

Don't try to come and hijack us.

* Two additional ships, the USS Underwood and the USS Normandy, with 400 and 250 personnel, are expected to arrive on Jan 16.

We're not telling you *what* kind of personnel, or exactly when they'll get there, only that we're sending them.

When people on message boards (and this is definitely not the only one) make comments about their family member leaving or coming home within certain time frames, or having a certain job on a certain ship or in a certain unit, it most definitely gives information to people who wish the United States harm.

Intelligence gathering in the 21st century is not the Cold War spy handing over a satchel of photographs and documents to an operative; it is hundreds of people going through things in the "open" (message boards, newspapers, casual conversations), grabbing a piece here, a bit there, and putting together a gigantic puzzle until a picture of something that is valuable to them emerges.

If that picture is of your spouse, your family, your country, perhaps you may wish to re-think what you are posting, what you are texting, what you are "putting out there" in general. It is a big, bad world, and like it or not, there is a LOT of nasty out there that wishes for nothing other than chaos.

asta

Great post! If we were a military family, I wouldn't want any info, at all, to slip. We've all seen the WWII posters regarding letting information slip and have also seen examples of heavily edited V Mail. It makes sense that with so much public conversation nowadays that keeping quiet is even more important. Thanks for the education.

And yet, it is also so much more than that. When I worked at the place where they plan the Tomahawk cruise missile missions in the late 90s, they told us that the enemy had some advanced warning of Desert Storm. How? Not because anyone gave out info, but because the trash volume from the Pentagon and other major planning commands increased so much, especially pizza boxes. If we were working on something big, we were asked to take some of our extra trash home, or to distribute it to other dumpsters on base besides the one closest to our building :001_huh:

It may seem harmless to say something in isolation, but data mining software (or even someone just taking the time to read through an individuals posts) can connect a lot of information (even across lots of different websites, if you use the same handle everywhere). It is just better safe than sorry.

This is helpful because it has in part answered a question that's been bothering me. I'm not trying to start a foreign policy debate, but I've been worrying and wondering about whether the US is making enough of a quick commitment here. Yes, it is wonderful how much money is being donated, but it seems what makes the difference in the short run is whether our military can get in and get the transportation system running again, keep order etc. And this is the part that I'm not trying to start a debate about, but I'd rather we make a strong response here than some of the other things that we've been doing, even though I very much appreciate what our troops are doing. But both by proximity and experience our military seems uniquely suited to help, and I worry about Haiti's future on both humanitarian and stability grounds -- and it is very close to our shores.

Anyway, you've helped me remember that there may be a lot going on that we don't know about until after it is done -- or ever -- and that there are good reasons that they are cagey about it.

This is helpful because it has in part answered a question that's been bothering me. I'm not trying to start a foreign policy debate, but I've been worrying and wondering about whether the US is making enough of a quick commitment here. Yes, it is wonderful how much money is being donated, but it seems what makes the difference in the short run is whether our military can get in and get the transportation system running again, keep order etc. And this is the part that I'm not trying to start a debate about, but I'd rather we make a strong response here than some of the other things that we've been doing, even though I very much appreciate what our troops are doing. But both by proximity and experience our military seems uniquely suited to help, and I worry about Haiti's future on both humanitarian and stability grounds -- and it is very close to our shores.

Anyway, you've helped me remember that there may be a lot going on that we don't know about until after it is done -- or ever -- and that there are good reasons that they are cagey about it.

Back in '99 when there was a huge earthquake in Turkey, I happened to be stationed on a ship that was in port in Greece and had huge water-making capabilities (which was their greatest need). But, it also had tons of Marine equipment on it. There were also several regular Navy ships that could get there about the same time (we were closer, but slower). The Turkish government would only let *1* ship go in (and specifically not us). So, our response can also be limited by what the government of the country we are aiding will allow us to do.

I hear you on that, Missy, and that was one of my early thoughts. Here it sounds like the government was falling apart even before the quake and that the country was in some sense being run/reconstructed by the UN in the absence of a working government. And the Haitian government (such as it is) has asked us to do whatever we can. But I hear you that we are so often asked to back off -- and even here we may not want to look like we're taking over.

When people on message boards (and this is definitely not the only one) make comments about their family member leaving or coming home within certain time frames, or having a certain job on a certain ship or in a certain unit, it most definitely gives information to people who wish the United States harm.

Intelligence gathering in the 21st century is not the Cold War spy handing over a satchel of photographs and documents to an operative; it is hundreds of people going through things in the "open" (message boards, newspapers, casual conversations), grabbing a piece here, a bit there, and putting together a gigantic puzzle until a picture of something that is valuable to them emerges.

If that picture is of your spouse, your family, your country, perhaps you may wish to re-think what you are posting, what you are texting, what you are "putting out there" in general. It is a big, bad world, and like it or not, there is a LOT of nasty out there that wishes for nothing other than chaos.

asta

Great post, asta. I'm often amazed what ends up on facebook or gets passed through message boards.

Great post! If we were a military family, I wouldn't want any info, at all, to slip. We've all seen the WWII posters regarding letting information slip and have also seen examples of heavily edited V Mail. It makes sense that with so much public conversation nowadays that keeping quiet is even more important. Thanks for the education.

Thanks for this timely reminder.

It's so easy for us to become complacent and forget or be ignorant of the fact that evil people will work tirelessly to get to their evil ends.

Yes, thank you! We are constantly combating this with our family members and even within our very own troop! I know it is hard to edit yourself when you are talking people (especially to DH's family while he is deployed)... they just don't realize what a big deal this is! We just eventually got off of Facebook and MySpace all together because people were (innocently) asking and posting dangerous things, so Dh and I just quit trying to keep everyone "in the loop." We just say..."Dh will be home sometime in the fall, hopefully" ... "and then he will be leaving again sometime next fall, maybe." That is about all his loose-lipped family will be getting from now on.

To add to this, WHY are the media outlets reporting on things that are happening over there before the military is ready to release the information? Honestly, it is really troubling -- with all of this electronic media these days, that every wife in our troop knew that we had lost 4 pilots by watching Fox news/Yahoo/etc. before the actual family members were told. It left everyone in a nightmarish fog for almost 15 hours until we were finally notified if it was our husband or not. We had family members calling and everything. It was terrible.

This is a constant worry of mine with my husband deployed. I can't believe what some of families at home post on their facebook pages. If they were active duty, they'd face court martial. I really don't know what they're thinking.

:iagree: It's been ages since my dad was in the Navy (and I was quite young then!), but I distinctly recall that he was NOT to give specifics on his deployments or location or activities EVEN TO MY MOTHER! Not to anyone. I cannot imagine that has changed so dramatically since then.

It amazes me to read some people's posts (here and elsewhere) basically mapping out their military loved one's every move. :001_huh:

Yes, thank you! We are constantly combating this with our family members and even within our very own troop! I know it is hard to edit yourself when you are talking people (especially to DH's family while he is deployed)... they just don't realize what a big deal this is! We just eventually got off of Facebook and MySpace all together because people were (innocently) asking and posting dangerous things, so Dh and I just quit trying to keep everyone "in the loop." We just say..."Dh will be home sometime in the fall, hopefully" ... "and then he will be leaving again sometime next fall, maybe." That is about all his loose-lipped family will be getting from now on.

To add to this, WHY are the media outlets reporting on things that are happening over there before the military is ready to release the information? Honestly, it is really troubling -- with all of this electronic media these days, that every wife in our troop knew that we had lost 4 pilots by watching Fox news/Yahoo/etc. before the actual family members were told. It left everyone in a nightmarish fog for almost 15 hours until we were finally notified if it was our husband or not. We had family members calling and everything. It was terrible.

:grouphug:

That sounds terrible!

In a way, this reminds me of when I worked for Martin Marietta (now Lockheed Martin). It was brought up often how we needed to keep our employment secret, how we shouldn't talk about where we worked out in public, blah, blah, blah, be careful in bars, in restaurants, at parties because you never knew who might be waiting for you to reveal something they wanted to know. It was a big topic during orientation, and we were reminded by personnel.

Company policy also required us to have a Martin Marietta parking sticker on the front bumper of our cars to access employee parking lots. You could drive down any road in south Denver and spot other Martin employees just by driving down the street, whether or not you knew them. :willy_nilly: Anybody else could spot you a mile away too.

Well, this time at least we do.

I've heard people justify their willingness to openly discuss deployment schedules etc by saying that this or that outing is just a quick training evolution.

But what is of interest isn't just one particular movement. It is also being able to detect patterns and use them to make predictions and analysis.

Think about the things you do when you go away from the house for a time. If you will be back in the evening, you probably just shut the windows, lock the doors and leave.

If you will be gone for a weekend, you might let a couple newspapers pile up or a couple days of mail collect in the box. You might not put lights on timers.

If you will be gone for a week, you might put your mail on hold and stop delivery of the newspaper. This means that at least the mail carrier, newspaper boy and possibly a couple other staff people know of the dates of your absence. But it also means that someone watching the house would see that deliveries had stopped, indicating a long term absence.

Or maybe you put lights on timers. Fine and dandy, it will make a house seem like it isn't empty to someone driving past. But if someone is watching the house, they will see that lights go on even though no cars have gone in and out of the house.

You're all creative folks and can think of other scenarios.

The point is that the amount of activity that leads to a military unit making a movement is similar for a long humanitarian mission on no notice as it is to an indeterminate mission of that isn't based on a natural disaster.

It is also easy to forget that the military isn't dealing with an opposition that is one or two guys in a van casing out a house for a couple of days. It is a network of observers, with an enduring group memory. Knowledge collected from a harmless event (say the accoustic signature that a ship makes on a family day cruise) can be applied in a non harmless way (tracking that same ship a year later when it is cruising in a combat zone).

The other significant change in the last couple of decades is the way that information collected lasts because of the internet. I have an uncommon name, but when I search for it, I find comments that I made on homeschooling email lists that were at one time members only. At some point the decision was made to open the archives to those lists. I had long since moved on and stopped following the list. But my comments are there to find with a casual search.

Maybe your name isn't so common so you personally get lost in the background noise of other Jane Smiths. But the same data mining that makes sites like Zoom People or 411.com useful or that can reveal the workplaces of people who contributed to a certain political cause or candidate can be used as analysis tools against the military too.

Just the "involuntary biography" that is a google search reveals that I am a homeschooler with a military affiliation who has lived in both DC and Hawaii (and that's just the first page of results). Where the WW2 spy had to sit through cocktail parties and rifle through desks, the current collector doesn't have to be in the room at all. They can collect information from a bunch of sources and combine it togehter.

What you put out there on the internet should be considered out there forever and out of your control. So be more careful with your information than you think you need to be.

Asta,

Thanks for the reminder. It is easy to get complacent.

BTW, I didn't think Asta's post was stupid at all. But I have heard this sort of response from others.

Thank you for your kind words, Sebastian.

As I have mentioned before on this site, I work on another website. We give our members the option of editing/deleting their posts at any time while they are members of our site. They also have the option of deleting their account, so that we no longer have their information on our server. Is some of their information probably still out in cyberspace? Of course it is (as you have mentioned). But at least they have the option of "changing their mind" about something they've written more than a couple of days after the fact. This is (obviously) not the case with all message boards. They also have the option of shifting user names on their option board, but a pull down shows mods the previous names of the user. Unfortunately, the rest of the board's architecture bites, LOL!

I, myself have written personal things on this board assuming I could go back and delete much later if I changed my mind (due to how things worked on the other board), but even then, never things that weren't already in the public milieu.

I think that, sometimes, we all get caught up in "proving a point" or are in a particular "place of grief" and don't quite realize what info we are releasing. For some people, this either doesn't enter into their calculus (something bad will happen or it won't), for others, it is ignorance of the true dangers inherent in the system (how the bad guys work their "magic").

Someone could find the "me" of ten years ago, but they couldn't find me now unless I wanted them to. That is intentional on my part.

And as for Facebook, as someone else mentioned? {insert vulgarity towards that company here} I ended up HAVING to join it simply to stop my family from posting information and pictures about my life. My first day was a LOT of deleting. People don't realize what a data mine that place is - especially the "games" and "polls".

a

Edited by asta

I have nothing useful to add but something someone here said about scissors reminded me of something in a book I read set in WW2, they had their letters censored with scissors and this man in Egypt wrote to his family "friends come past and they just toot and come in" to tell them where he was. :rofl: I thought that was funny.

Thank you for your kind words, Sebastian.

As I have mentioned before on this site, I work on another website. We give our members the option of editing/deleting their posts at any time while they are members of our site. They also have the option of deleting their account, so that we no longer have their information on our server. Is some of their information probably still out in cyberspace? Of course it is (as you have mentioned). But at least they have the option of "changing their mind" about something they've written more than a couple of days after the fact. This is (obviously) not the case with all message boards. They also have the option of shifting user names on their option board, but a pull down shows mods the previous names of the user. Unfortunately, the rest of the board's architecture bites, LOL!

I, myself have written personal things on this board assuming I could go back and delete much later if I changed my mind (due to how things worked on the other board), but even then, never things that weren't already in the public milieu.

I think that, sometimes, we all get caught up in "proving a point" or are in a particular "place of grief" and don't quite realize what info we are releasing. For some people, this either doesn't enter into their calculus (something bad will happen or it won't), for others, it is ignorance of the true dangers inherent in the system (how the bad guys work their "magic").

Someone could find the "me" of ten years ago, but they couldn't find me now unless I wanted them to. That is intentional on my part.

And as for Facebook, as someone else mentioned? {insert vulgarity towards that company here} I ended up HAVING to join it simply to stop my family from posting information and pictures about my life. My first day was a LOT of deleting. People don't realize what a data mine that place is - especially the "games" and "polls".

a

How do I delete pictures of me posted on FB?

How do I delete pictures of me posted on FB?

I had to write to every single person and ask them to delete them. What I *was* able to do was "untag" myself. You know how people are "tagged" in pictures? If it is *your* name, you can delete the tag so that the picture becomes anonymous.

One of my siblings actually went through and photoshopped out my face because she didn't want to take out old family photos LOL.

I'm actually not a psycho about anonymity - it's just that, for now, for my family, a fully public presence is not a good idea.

a

I agree with what asta is saying, but it seems that if someone if trying to gather information about your military plans it is never enough to simply try to hide everything. Rather, accepting some info always gets out (esp. nowadays) and knowing that the bad guys are trying to get info, people try to seed misinformation as well. This serves not only to confuse but also to dilute the true info that is out there. This has been true historically in any war I can think of and I doubt it's not happening now. Is it possible that at least some of the info out there is incorrect and is being deliberately planted? Just curious...

I agree with what asta is saying, but it seems that if someone if trying to gather information about your military plans it is never enough to simply try to hide everything. Rather, accepting some info always gets out (esp. nowadays) and knowing that the bad guys are trying to get info, people try to seed misinformation as well. This serves not only to confuse but also to dilute the true info that is out there. This has been true historically in any war I can think of and I doubt it's not happening now. Is it possible that at least some of the info out there is incorrect and is being deliberately planted? Just curious...
I suppose there is that possibility, but would you be willing to test that theory on someone from your family who was deployed? And on all the members of their unit?

Every bit of stray information endangers the whole unit (and maybe more than one unit), not to mention the possible devastating effect on the families involved. It's just not worth it.

Edited by cani e porci

I suppose there is that possibility, but would you be willing to test that theory on someone from your family who was deployed? And on all the members of their unit?

Every bit of stray information endangers the whole unit (and maybe more than one unit), not to mention the possible devastating effect on the families involved. It's just not worth it.

I'm not sure what you're saying. How would you "test" it? I was only speculating that if people are seeing a lot of this I wonder if some of it is deliberately planted by the US Gov't. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything or endanger anyone. Sorry if I wasn't clear(?)

I'm not sure what you're saying. How would you "test" it? I was only speculating that if people are seeing a lot of this I wonder if some of it is deliberately planted by the US Gov't. I wasn't suggesting anyone do anything or endanger anyone. Sorry if I wasn't clear(?)

A lot of what?

The internet is full of personal information on a daily basis - worldwide. Support group sites are simply that - full of people looking for support. And they tend to offer information in order to strengthen their their case (for lack of a better word).

There is no "big government conspiracy", simply people who sometimes don't realize how far their information actually "spreads".

a

A lot of what?

The internet is full of personal information on a daily basis - worldwide. Support group sites are simply that - full of people looking for support. And they tend to offer information in order to strengthen their their case (for lack of a better word).

There is no "big government conspiracy", simply people who sometimes don't realize how far their information actually "spreads".

a

I understand what you're saying and I already said I agreed with you at the beginning of my first post. I never said it was a conspiracy. Geez....

Agreeing with you....leads me to wonder whether because people don't know how far information spreads, the gov't tries to offset that by lowering the signal-to-noise ratio with misinformation and we see some of that as well.

Sorry, I don't know how to be more clear that I agree with everyone but am just thinking about gov't countermeasures to deal with the ignorance and loose lips. Do people think there are no countermeasures? (That's the discussion I was trying to have.) I thought I would explore a different facet of the discussion instead of simply saying "me too". :)

Oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Lack of sleep and distraction by a broken finger...

Now you're going to have to define "signal-to-noise ratio" and "countermeasures" for all of us...

a

No problem. Lack of sleep here too, plus the weather makes me tired too.

By "signal-to-noise ratio" I meant if our enemies are using data mining to get information, it seems they would have the sift through a lot of data to find the patterns. Adding false info to the gathered data would make more "noise" and make it harder to see the patterns.

Again, this is not to encourage "loose posting" by people, but to make up for people who post things w/o realizing the impact of what they are doing. Posting false info (systematically, by the gov't) would be the "countermeasure". I just wonder if they do it.

As a former Radioman ;) I can tell you that a high signal to noise ratio means that the signal is very strong and easy to pick up (in this case, the signal would be the intel people were giving out unintentionally-we hope). So, if "they" (the government) wanted to lower the signal to noise ratio, they would put out dis-information. That could be only effectively combat facebook if the government had servicemembers give disinformation to family members.

Now, please, never ask me anything about frequencies. I had to study them for each exam and then promptly forgot them :D

• 1 year later...
Hi guys -

I was just sifting through my "saved threads" and found this one again. Given some of the stuff I've read on boards and FB around the net the past few months, it struck me as worth resurrecting.

asta

I suspect in this cyber age it is a message worth repeating frequently--no matter what our military forces are doing around the world.