Menu

Please help me solve this mystery...

This morning I opened the door to the girls' closet, which is also the door to the attic stairway. Just inside the door was a puddle. In the past we had a one-time problem with moisture accumulating in the closet, but that was on the walls and ceiling. Since then, we've rectified the moisture problem by installing an attic fan. Even so, I checked the walls and ceiling and door and doorway -- no moisture. Just the puddle on the floor.

The "flap" doors to the attic were closed. The closet door was closed and locked all night (there is a weather strip at the bottom). There didn't seem to be any "critters" in the closet.

I mopped up the puddle with a towel. The puddle was strong-smelling urine. Yikes!

My dad says that it can't be a rat or mouse because they don't have bladders. Is that true? It did seem like a lot of urine for a mouse or rat, though. He thinks I might have a squirrel, raccoon, or cat in the attic, but I couldn't see ANY holes or any way in or out. It's still puzzling me.

Any suggestions? Advice?

I was also going to suggest kids. My son did that at my grandmother's (using a place as a toilet that he shouldn't) because it felt taboo. He didn't even have to be sleep walking. He just thought that when he peed in that certain area it 'sounded neat'. If you had cats or some other animal geting in there you would also be finding feces nearby most likely.

Edited by Dobela
spelling

Could it be someone peeing while sleep walking?

I thought about that.... door was locked....

And there wasn't any OUTSIDE THE DOOR. Only on the inside.

And the area outside the door wasn't wet at all (could it have dried)?

My 5 year old is the only one who could have done this, the other two are still in cribs (no flames, it's survival with twins, OKAY?)

I wonder if she would do this? Or be afraid to wake us up by opening the door to go in the middle of the night? I can imagine her squatting by the door. That WOULD explain it.

Oh, great, now what do I do? Set a mouse trap for her little hiney?

Edited by Sahamamama

My dad says that it can't be a rat or mouse because they don't have bladders. Is that true? It did seem like a lot of urine for a mouse or rat, though. He thinks I might have a squirrel, raccoon, or cat in the attic, but I couldn't see ANY holes or any way in or out. It's still puzzling me.

Rats and mice have bladders.

I really have nothing else to say! Sorry. :tongue_smilie:

One time when ds was just shy of six, we watched a video about ballistics and weapons fire. It was some medieval history program about warfare. He was very taken by it. He talked about it all evening. The next day I walked into his room and there was pee everywhere. I asked him what had happened, and he told me that he had been trying for some particular dispersal patterns he'd seen the day before.

He'd pissed all over the wall, in his closet, all over one corner of his bed, and on the window sill. Basically a 360 degree dispersal pattern. I had to rip out the carpets and re-floor his room.

You should be happy yours is a girl.

One time when ds was just shy of six, we watched a video about ballistics and weapons fire. It was some medieval history program about warfare. He was very taken by it. He talked about it all evening. The next day I walked into his room and there was pee everywhere. I asked him what had happened, and he told me that he had been trying for some particular dispersal patterns he'd seen the day before.

He'd pissed all over the wall, in his closet, all over one corner of his bed, and on the window sill. Basically a 360 degree dispersal pattern. I had to rip out the carpets and re-floor his room.

:w00t: OK - THIS is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this board!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Mariann

Edited by MariannNOVA

Oh my gosh LOL!!!! :lol: Great story to tell his future wife and kids one day though! :D

HAHAHA! I got a stitch from laughing so hard at this!

On the puddle front I'd lean towards a child. Mice and rats constantly dribble, they don't really produce noticable puddles. I'd venture to guess Squirrels are similar. A puddle one the floor seems odd for any wild animal since urine is as muching for marking and communication as anything and it's generally sprayed on something, not just deposited on a flat surface.

I thought about that, but the door was locked at the top....

Are you 100% sure it was locked? Or is it one of those deals that's so automatic to you that you only think it was locked?

I went on one of my Mom's upholstered kitchen chairs once while sleepwalking. Then I tried to get some ice-cream from the freezer.

The only other realistic option is that you have a peeing ghost :001_huh::lol:.

All of my boys have done this while sleepwalking. That would be my guess, and I would agree that maybe you "thought" the closet was locked?

Once my oldest son went on a campout with some friends. The dad thought he woke to rain in the night, but it was my son peeing on his friend's sleeping bag. He was SO embarrrassed.

If you think your daughter might have done it because she was sleeping or didn't want to wake you up give her another option. Do you still have a potty chair. Let her put it in her room for use at night. Tell her that some abults have "potty chairs" in their bedrooms because they can't get to the bathroom at night. If she is sleep walking it might help by giving her brain another option to think about.

Cindy