Menu

If your child had a food allergy that was NOT life threatening...

DD1 is allergic to red food dye. It sends her over the top emotionally, sometimes for up to 2-3 days. We thought she was psycho over the summer and then realized that it was a reaction to red #40. She plays with the kids down the street and on the weekends and one of us moms usually ends up feeding them lunch or at least a snack. I love that she's go them to play with. But, I think she had some red food coloring this weekend. We cannot get shcool done today to safe my life! (Not that I WANT to save it when she acts this way!!!!) She is erratically erasing her papers, breaking pencils from writing too hard, crying if I say boo, and so on.

Now, all that said, should I say something to the mom about Piper's red sesitivity. I mean, it's in EVERYTHING. And this past weekend she had chili and biscuits. I knwo for a fact that crescent rolls have red in them (go figure!) so I woudln't be suprised if other biscuits did too.

It's not life threatening, at least in the sense of anaphylaxis. What I may do is a while different story :tongue_smilie:

I'd say something, as a way of explaining why I send a snack with her. Trying to find something without red food dye can be a heck of a challenge, and I'd just take responsibility for her snack.

Yes, I realize that fruits and veggies are safe, but the other mom *might* take it as an insult or something, so I'd just send a snack. Its weird the things that folks can take insult to. :lol:

My dd is allergic to red dye too. Same exact symptoms as you described. We had to teach her about her allergy, and restrict her food choices as a result. In addition to the tantrums and behavior issues, she would have UTIs (urinary tract infections) about 10 days after ingesting red dye.

Also, DD would sleep for hours after an 'episode'. She's 17y/o now, and she has told us that even now, when she eats something with red dye in it, she feels hyper, then she crashes.

And yes, red dye is in everything. Don't forget that it's usually in items that are blue, purple, green, and pink too. Medications, food, candy, drinks, 100% fruit juices, etc. You really have to read the labels.

Yep, ds had a dairy allergy and now he's ok to eat it. But it makes him SOOOO emotional. We try to limit it on a daily basis. But it's not a true allergy so do we ask our friends to make changes???

depends on you. Two options:

*If you need the adjustment then pack her own lunch/snack every time she goes to a friend's house and make sure she knows to turn down food from others. Pro: kid acts normal Con: kid may resent being different

*Let her eat whatever when not at home. Pro: easy Con: You get to deal with horrible acting kid later on!

My son had to be put to bed at 6:30 last night due to food issue behavior. He was a mess! But he also knew why(ice cream from my bday).

I go back and forth on the issue. For awhile we did no dairy but it's hard around others and it's not an allergy and I don't want people thinking he's allergic to it....he COULD have it....but for now we are limiting. He understands his choice to eat it. He knows if he does it may be a few days of fighting with mom/dad, crying, and being cranky. And some times my ds says no. He just turned 8. They learn they don't want to be like that. So consider letting your dd make the choice but make it clear that school has to happen, respect to you has to happen, if she decides to be in charge of that issue in her life.

good luck

My DS is also allergic to red #40. We have informed all of our close associates and friends of his sensitivity. Sending a snack would be a good safety practice. I also wanted to mention that we have noticed that DS also reacts to non-edible things with red dye, ie: handstamps, temporary tattoo stickers, some markers, etc. His reaction is the same; uncontrollable and overly emotional behavior for 3-5 days. We discovered this when he was taking a gymnastics class and the teacher would give each kid a stamp on their hand at the end of class. Could this be a possible issue for your child?

Hope this helps...

Yes. Dd has the same thing (goes psychotic with red dye 40) and everyone knows, just like with her sister's actual medically tested dairy allergy. Neither are life-threatening but the results are HORRIBLE. Anyone who's are to witness a reaction has no problem acknowledging she should NOT have it again, lol. There's no reason you shouldn't tell them she's allergic to red dye--if they don't know, they'll just keep giving it to her! It's easy to come up with a little list of quick snacks and drinks that don't have it, if they need that. Right now they're eating stovetop-popped popcorn--no dyes, no dairy, just a little oil and pepper. You can even make up microwave ones with kernels and a little oil in a folded brown paper bag. Crackers, hummus, carrots, pretzels, cashews, etc--lots of easy dye-free snacks, if she knows about it.

Yes Ds1 also acts this way with food dyes (red #40 and yellow #5) (and gluten,dairy, and soy). I would just send her over with a snack. You may want to ask the other mother if it would be okay to just leave a small box of safe snacks for her at her house if you know her well enough.

I've gotten eye rolls many times when trying to describe the 'effects' on my child. Some folks don't take allergies/sensitivites seriously unless its anaphalactic or some other immediate physical occurence (swelling, itching, etc). Some think it's because I'm just a health nut or something, maybe too crunchy. I feel they mainly think I may be judging them do to their food/lifestyle choices so I try to word it as sensitively as possible so they don't feel on the offensive.

:grouphug: I know those after-effect days are tough to deal with!

I would not leave the decision up to a child so young. When they are older, perhaps preteens and teens, I would let them have a little more leeway and suffer the consequences. But little kids need our guidance and help in this and may not have the self-control to do what is best for themselves.

My oldest had a milk allergy. It wasn't life-threatening, but it did impact our daily life. Just like I would not make tooth brushing optional, I would not make avoiding allergens optional.

In OP's case, I would let the other mom know about the situation and either send a snack or insist that the child be sent home to eat. In fact, I am sure the other mom would love to have a break from providing snacks:) I grew up with a pool and the neighborhood moms got together and took turns sending snacks with the kids because they were eating us out of house and home.

My youngest dd has a non life threatening peanut problem. SHe gets massive diarrhea but no anaphalaxis. She was able to talk about how she can't have peanuts from around 4. But that was easier, I think, than food dye. Also, it was a major hassle to her, not just to her parents so I think she was more concerned that she might otherwise be.

2 food allergy children here. Both have questioned any food given to them since they were 4 or 5(they could even educate people on the fact that peanuts are legumes. :lol:) I wouldn't expect most people to know if something contained red food dye or not so I would talk to the parent and send food with my child.

DD1 is allergic to red food dye. It sends her over the top emotionally, sometimes for up to 2-3 days. We thought she was psycho over the summer and then realized that it was a reaction to red #40. She plays with the kids down the street and on the weekends and one of us moms usually ends up feeding them lunch or at least a snack. I love that she's go them to play with. But, I think she had some red food coloring this weekend. We cannot get shcool done today to safe my life! (Not that I WANT to save it when she acts this way!!!!) She is erratically erasing her papers, breaking pencils from writing too hard, crying if I say boo, and so on.

Now, all that said, should I say something to the mom about Piper's red sesitivity. I mean, it's in EVERYTHING. And this past weekend she had chili and biscuits. I knwo for a fact that crescent rolls have red in them (go figure!) so I woudln't be suprised if other biscuits did too.

It's not life threatening, at least in the sense of anaphylaxis. What I may do is a while different story :tongue_smilie:

This is soooo my dd 8. And your daughter never acts up around her friend and neighbor, right!

Tell your neighbor and if she looks perplexed head off her questioning and say, "Yeah, it's a new thing and it's really been a learning curve for us too. But dd feels sooooo much better when we're careful with her diet and she's learning too how to read labels and take care of herself. If you're in doubt, don't feed her. "

Ultimately you want to teach your dd to eat only food that's approved and OK for her. So it's OK to say no to food that's offered and for her to learn to say, "I'm allergic to _______."