Luanne

Which is more rigorous?  

1. 1. Which is more rigorous?

• TWTM
    • Ambleside Online
    • Sonlight
    • Robinson Curriculum
    • Veritas Press
    • Something You Put Together Yourself (Please Specify)
    • Other (Please Specify)

Which what is more rigorous?

edited to add:

Apparently you were still setting up the poll when I replied to your post.

All of the programs in your poll are rigorous programs. The differences lie in their slant.

WTM and Ambleside are weighted towards classics. Sonlight leans more towards historical fiction.

Where SL will have you read a book set in the 1800s, WTM and Ambleside are more likely to have you read a book written during the 1800s.

Robinson Curriculum uses a lot of very old books (books old enough that the copyright has expired), so the language is often quite difficult, but I don't think that necessarily makes it more rigorous.

I don't know much about Veritas other than the fact that it's Christian.

I would probably classify SL as less rigorous than the others on the list (aside from VP because I know very little about it).

Edited by AngieW in Texas

We're doing year 1 of Ambleside, and I would say it is more rigorous in terms of the texts being read. They aren't the picture books and such that SOTW recommends as history and literature readings. At the same time, WTM is more rigorous in drilling grammar and stuff like that. Ambleside expects you to get good grammar skills by reading good books, where WTM actually drills the grammar and doesn't expect such difficult books. Ambleside narration expects the child to recite what was read after one reading without any prompting, WTM gives you questions to ask the child in order to do narration. WTM has you read simplified versions of stories so they are easy to read later on, AO has you start out reading them when they are little so they become accustomed to the more difficult language and think nothing of it.

I would say AO and WTM are about the same but in different ways.

Personally I think that it depends not only in the program but in how it is applied, actually maybe more depends upon the application of the said program! I have met parents who say they are WTMers but their school is far from rigorous. And I know another family who has used Sonlight from the beginning and I would consider her school very rigorous.

Didn't we sort of have a "define rigorous" thread a while back? LOL In any case, the admitted weakest element for most homeschoolers is writing. The programs there that take the strongest stab at writing are WTM and VP. With WTM you need to read the book and make it happen yourself. If you get the VP Scholars lessons, they make that happen for you. I think most people would be relatively satisfied at their "rigor" level if they felt confident their dc was writing enough, did reasonable reading, and did math daily. Almost anybody can make those latter two things happen with any curriculum you listed. The question is what it takes to help you get them writing enough, both as a subject and across the curriculum. That (in writing across the curriculum) is where the rigor comes in.

Now brain-tingling, stimulating, and challenging, that's another question entirely. I can bump WTM's recs (widely considered challenging) up a grade level and STILL not engage my dd. VP I have always used bumped up. There's something BEYOND that some kids want. I've tried to bring that in with more discussion, more thought, more languages, more... I'm even going to take the plunge (probably, haven't punched buy yet, lol) and try a little MCT. But I wouldn't consider any of that rigor. Rigor is just the basics of solid education, the stuff everybody needs to do.

BTW, I don't know your situation, ages you're teaching, etc., but I think there's a magic to rigor. It's about the right level of work at the right time. Some things come naturally, with gentle progress, and don't need a lot of shoving or force. I think that's why you see so many posts from veterans about the value of consistency. Pick a program you think fits your dc, implement it reasonably, pleasantly, and consistently.

BTW, I don't know your situation, ages you're teaching, etc., but I think there's a magic to rigor. It's about the right level of work at the right time. Some things come naturally, with gentle progress, and don't need a lot of shoving or force. I think that's why you see so many posts from veterans about the value of consistency. Pick a program you think fits your dc, implement it reasonably, pleasantly, and consistently.

I love this! Thanks for sharing. :)

I think there's a magic to rigor. It's about the right level of work at the right time. Some things come naturally, with gentle progress, and don't need a lot of shoving or force. I think that's why you see so many posts from veterans about the value of consistency. Pick a program you think fits your dc, implement it reasonably, pleasantly, and consistently.

:iagree:

This is such a wonderful explanation and one that I hope many people read and take with them on a daily basis. There are many days that are trying for parent/teacher and student. Sometimes we just need to know that we are on the right course and everything will work out if we persevere.

I think every one of these programs used to it's FULLEST would be rigorous. But honestly, when does that ever happen. I think most homeschoolers tweak the curriculum. Whether it's by adding, exchanging, dropping a book ,or certain facet of the program.

I really think the results of having been taught WELL produce intelligent, well adjusted kids, and I am not just referring to academics. I find their can be many vehicles to get there, and for different kids, it may take a different vehicle, it's the end result that concerns me.:001_smile:

:iagree: Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Didn't we sort of have a "define rigorous" thread a while back? LOL

:iagree:

So true, I completely agree with the fact that it’s all about the right amount of work at the right time. Although, you can also pick more than one program, and mesh them together. You can even make up your own program, perhaps using a blend of various methods, and have the same success. There is a magic to rigor, as Elizabeth stated so eloquently, but it’s not necessarily found in any particular program. ITA.

Pick a program you think fits your dc, implement it reasonably, pleasantly, and consistently.

:iagree: I use two of the programs mentioned and I still tweek. I use SL Cores above grade level, with additional materials to make it rigorous for my DC. It really comes down to your child and your teaching approach. Enjoyment is another factor that doesn't get much attention but I think can be just as important. (No I'm not saying everything has to be enjoyable. :))

Pick a program you think fits your dc, implement it reasonably, pleasantly, and consistently.

As the mother of a K'er and two preschoolers, I am going to print this out and post it high up on the wall for our upcoming year. May I?

There are bound to be moments when I'll need to look up and see

Be reasonable. Be pleasant. Be consistent.

on the wall! Thanks for posting this! :hurray:

As the mother of a K'er and two preschoolers, I am going to print this out and post it high up on the wall for our upcoming year. May I?

There are bound to be moments when I'll need to look up and see

Be reasonable. Be pleasant. Be consistent.

on the wall! Thanks for posting this! :hurray:

Yes!!