Menu

Anyone not really like Bible verse memorization for competition?

We've started attending a Baptist church that I really enjoy, but for some reason I'm not a fan (yet?) of the whole Bible drill competition thing. There's just something about making it a contest that bugs me, but I do love how it gets the kids memorizing Scripture. I guess they need *some* kind of motivation but I just wish it didn't have to be a contest. I wish it came from the heart, from a desire to simply know God's word and if that means they wait until they are older to memorize large chunks of verses, I'm OK with that.

If you did Awana, Bible drills, etc. do you remember many of those verses? How long did they stay with you? Overall was (is) it a negative, positive or neutral (so so) experience for you and/or your children?

I like this church but am not sold on the Bible drill competition and don't need to feel like the odd family out right now while we're still new. LOL (I don't know that we will and I don't even know if any other families opt out at this point, though.)

*I'm editing to add that this isn't meant to be negative towards any denomination that does this sort of thing! We have been non-denominational for years and years so this is new to me and I'm just getting thoughts from others. Thanks!

Edited by 6packofun
add

I didn't grow up memorizing scripture as I didn't become a Christian until my late 20's. My dh came from a missionary family. Although he didn't go to Awana, memorizing scripture in the KJV was part of his growing up. After we married we attended a Nav 2:7 class where we were required to memorize scripture. I struggled with this and even now have very few verses I have successfully memorized word perfect. My dh did much better at memorizing, but when he tried to memorize from the NIV, his childhood memorizing took over and the King James version of the same verse came back much easier for him. From this experience, I think it is much easier to memorize as a child.

Our dc have been in Awana since age 3 memorizing scripture through our non-denominational church. This year our dd at age 12 is now on a Bible quiz team memorizing several chapters of 1 Cor. She is really learning a lot, and the leader does a Bible lesson every week on a portion of the passage - even asking the kids if there is a verse they don't understand so he can research and explain it in another week. The leaders always tell the kids they are memorizing scripture for the glory of God, not for the competition. I see that happening with these kids. Yes, they enjoy the competition, but I also see spiritual growth and friendships developing with the kids from the other churches they have invitationals with.

I memorized Scripture for 2 reasons as a child:

1. Competition

2. Being forced to memorize it

Let's just say I enjoyed it WAY more when I memorized it for a "prize" or to finish my Awana book, than having to write out Scripture verses as punishment, or merely being told to memorize verses.

As an adult, I actually DO remember most of the verses I learned. I am all for making it fun for kids, JMHO.

It seems like there is one, maybe two larger competitions a year, but they also compete in other ways--against one another, the clock, in games, etc.--every week. It's only a 20-30 minute drill time before their Sunday school class starts and they can join in or not. Doesn't seem to be much pressure, and the kids usually look like they're having a good time, but I know that my dd gets nervous about performing in front of others and I'm not sure I like the whole concept to begin with.

Not to mention it's another activity to spend time on! LOL ;)

I can definitely see your point but I personally don't have a problem with it.

I am very thankful for all the Scripture I memorized so easily as a child. Now that I have the desire, I find the ability is harder to come by. LOL.

I'm all for getting the Word into our children. My children may not see the value in memorizing the Preamble to the Constitution or math facts or poetry right now either. Hopefully one day they will appreciate it. My children are not part of Bible Quiz Team but they participate in Awanas which sometimes has a bit of a competitive edge to it.

I always enjoyed Bible Quiz Team as a child. I never saw it as being showy. We were just having fun. Oh, and I don't remember every single thing I memorized in Bible Quiz Team but it is in my brain because it takes me almost no time to "relearn" it when I try. Whereas other things I try to memorize take much more effort. Want to hear showy! I went to private school and we had to individually memorize and recite an entire chapter of the Bible IN FRONT of the class every month. That was torture, but again, something I'm thankful for now.

I suppose though, as with anything, you'll have those who take it way too far.

It seems like there is one, maybe two larger competitions a year, but they also compete in other ways--against one another, the clock, in games, etc.--every week. It's only a 20-30 minute drill time before their Sunday school class starts and they can join in or not. Doesn't seem to be much pressure, and the kids usually look like they're having a good time, but I know that my dd gets nervous about performing in front of others and I'm not sure I like the whole concept to begin with.

Not to mention it's another activity to spend time on! LOL ;)

Seems like I'd be asking why the kids are drilling verses.

Are they memorizing verses to use in daily life as adults? I guess it would depend on your faith, but how often do you need to pull a verse out of your hat during the day? A good concordance or the internet will give you what you need for most occasions.

Are they learning them as apologetics for their faith/denomination? There again a good concordance along with a firm catechesis of your faith/denomination will serve them well. If someone asks them why their church does something a certain way, they can not only find a verse that promotes said course of action, but give a thorough explanation of the action.

Does your denomination require the Bible or parts of the Bible be memorized?

Or are they drilling just to be drilling as a "show-offish" type thing?

If you can't get an adequate answer for the purpose of the competitions, drilling, etc., get together a good opt-out reason. "Our family had decided not to participate for personal reasons (time constraints, other) ," should work well.

I have questioned the very same thing but I have seen in my own children that they have used the verses that they have memorized in Bible Bowl in real life situations. I do make sure that my kids understand the verses they are memorizing and know how they apply to real life. I go over the verses they are memorizing weekly for application purposes.

I have also watched my kids use the verses they have memorized to witness ( in Spanish no less) to children in a poor colonia in Juarez.

I pray often that God use the verses they have memorized to stop them in their tracks when in temptations way!

I guess it would depend on your faith, but how often do you need to pull a verse out of your hat during the day?

Wow, I use memorized Scripture all the time. When I need encouragement. When I pray. When I'm talking with my children. When I feel tempted to sin.

I cannot imagine going through my day and not using Scripture. I'm not always near the computer or my Bible so I carry it in my head.

Wow, I use memorized Scripture all the time. When I need encouragement. When I pray. When I'm talking with my children. When I feel tempted to sin.

I cannot imagine going through my day and not using Scripture. I'm not always near the computer or my Bible so I carry it in my head.

I suppose it is going to depend on the person then. I don't use verses as you do, but I have prayers memorized for times you stated. Even with dd, we will pray together instead of using Bible verses to make a point.

I think that comes from my knowledge that for every verse someone makes a point with, I could counter with another verse.

Ditto!! Most of my memorization has come as an adult, as we didn't have Awana when I was a kid. I've memorized a ton in the past 5-8 years, by choice. I'd so love to have memorized those scriptures, whether my motives were pure or not at that age, so I could have even more stored now. God can use just about any verse as a prompt in situations to be obedient to His Word.

I regularly have some scripture taped over my sink to deal with heart issues I may be having at the time...those are the scriptures that wind up stored in my heart. We have scriptures taped by the computer to remind the dc to spend their time on the internet in a positive way, thinking/watching what is pure, true, lovely, etc. They, too, will likely have those memorized. Awana (and Bible drill when we did it) were just one tool among many to achieve that goal.

I don't use verses as you do, but I have prayers memorized for times you stated.

Parrothead, many of your prayers are rooted in Scripture. The only difference really is that you are memorizing the prayers and we come from a tradition that memorizes the verses. You can probably see why we value memorizing Scripture if you think about the value you place on having memorized your prayers. I hope that made sense.

Parrothead, many of your prayers are rooted in Scripture. The only difference really is that you are memorizing the prayers and we come from a tradition that memorizes the verses. You can probably see why we value memorizing Scripture if you think about the value you place on having memorized your prayers. I hope that made sense.

:iagree: I was never saying there was any thing wrong with memorizing parts or all of the Bible.

So it is just going to depend on my original question of why are the OP's children memorizing the passages. I was just throwing quesitons out there for the OP to consider when making the decision to have her children participate in the competition.

After 10 years at it I can quote many passages and verses from the Bible, and I know how/where to find the ones I don't have in my head. I think that is very important too.

I see both sides...having grown up memorizing verses for Sunday school and GA's...having been the wife of the Awana Commander....

It's very VERY good to memorize scripture as a child. The Holy Spirit uses it. It's most important in those times when we find ourselves slipping away from the Lord...it's at those times when we aren't seeking God's wisdom....we aren't going to reach for a concordance...but God graciously brings those words, memorized long ago, back to our minds/hearts and speaks to us, urging us back into His will.

There are a few potential problems with any scripture-memory program.

#1 - random verses memorized and forgotten

#2 - verses memorized, but not understood

#3 - verses memorized, understood, but never applied

#4 - a program presented in a way that feels like torture

The goal of Awana, for ex, is to make scripture memory fun and meaningful. It may not meet that goal for YOUR dc. That's OK. Honestly, I think it's better to memorize as a family - memorize whole chunks and not single verses - and review on a life-long basis (no graduating to any "next level"). The biggest advantage to memorizing as a family comes in application - there is NO ONE like Mom or Dad to shed light on the meaning of a verse and then live it out, and expect the dc to live it out as well (an Awana program just cannot do that). The danger in only memorizing as a family is that it is easily knocked off of the family calendar as life gets in the way...and that weekly reward award from Awana can be an external motivator.

All that said - I've seen the results of Awana. It ALL depends upon the leadership in YOUR church and YOUR home.

From,

"currently seeking a good Awana program in a new town for her own dc";):001_smile:

:iagree: I was never saying there was any thing wrong with memorizing parts or all of the Bible.

So it is just going to depend on my original question of why are the OP's children memorizing the passages. I was just throwing quesitons out there for the OP to consider when making the decision to have her children participate in the competition.

After 10 years at it I can quote many passages and verses from the Bible, and I know how/where to find the ones I don't have in my head. I think that is very important too.

I wasn't try to suggest you found anything wrong with it. Just making conversation and finding a point of comparison. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Yes, I definitely do, too! I still remember all of the taken-from-Scripture folksy worship songs we used to sing with one dude on guitar while in college...because they were the WORDS of Scripture and the tune helps me remember. :)

I just wonder if the competition aspect takes something away from it for children somehow. I don't want anyone to misunderstand and think that I believe children are too young to memorize Scripture OR that it's not useful! To the contrary, I want them to do it with desire and the right heart attitude, with the *intention* of using it for life.

I never questioned it. It was another academic subject, albeit a more important one than the rest.

We also read a psalm 4 days per week as part of morning devotions there, for at least 2 years (maybe more.) That, I hated. I thought the psalms were SO boring.

We also sang at least 2 and sometimes more hymns every schoolday for at least 6 years.

Now, today, I remember verses, psalms, and hymns by heart. They float into my head all the time. I pick up allusions to them in older English and German literature very easily. I can sing multiple verses of hymns when I'm driving around in the car. When I'm afraid about something, usually some very meaningful psalm that I once detested comes to mind for me to pray it. Whenever DD asks me something about God, I can roll out those Bible verses pretty readily--I don't usually have to hunt much for them.

One of the things that made TWTM so believable to me is that it was so much easier for me to memorize things then than it is now. So when SWB talked about the poll parrot stage, I knew that she was right.

The things I memorized as a child have helped me immeasurably throughout my 50+ years of life, and this has sold me on Scripture review and memorization for children.

Having said that, we usually avoid the whole contest thing.

If you did Awana, Bible drills, etc. do you remember many of those verses? How long did they stay with you? Overall was (is) it a negative, positive or neutral (so so) experience for you and/or your children?

I did both Awana and Bible drills growing up. I loved it, partly because I was good at it and I liked the competition.

Now that I'm grown, I DO appreciate all the time I put into memorizing verses. I remember lots of the verses (although not all of them word for word, especially when using different translations) and they are easier to retrieve when I need them (via the Holy Spirit of course :)) My time spent memorizing the verses as a child has now "stocked" my mind with very useful verses.

To me it seems similar to how the WTM recommends doing math drills. I doubt that many children recognize the value of being able to do simple math problems, but we as parents understand that one day they will, so we prepare them now.

We quit Awana for this reason.

When I asked dd5 why we memorize Scripture she said it is to get a badge or reward. Also they would stress out if one week they hadn't done their memory work, or as much as other kids (due to illness, vacation, ect...).These things did it for me. I pulled them out and we started using the SCM Scipture Memory System http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/, together at the breakfast table. It is so much fun to do it together. We chear for eachother when we get a new one right. Our hearts are now in the right place as we remember God's words to us.

Our church does scripture memorization in a way that both my dh and I do not like. They get a star for every correct verse. If they get any word wrong they do not get the star. Getting a word wrong might be eternal life instead of everlasting life. They also don't emphasize the meaning of the verse. I would prefer a word or two wrong than not understanding the meaning of the verse. We do not have our kids in that program.

We do have them in Awanas. They give them two helps in our program for each verse. So, if they get stuck on a word the teacher will prompt them and the kids can still get credit for the verse. I feel the Awana program goes over meanings of the verses more than our church program.

I don't mind memorization for competition as long as you know the heart of the child. I told my son's Awana teacher to slow him down on verses because I felt his heart was not in it for the knowlege of verses but for the candy.

my kids are in Bible Quizzing. I have to say I was very reluctant when my oldest started 2 years ago however even though I still am not a fan of the competitiveness, we will continue because the benefits outweigh the negatives. Before Bible Quizzing (BQ), my son would whine incessently how hard it was to memorize 1 verse a week. It was sheer agony for ME to listen to him work through it. And of course the next week he didn't have a clue what last week's verse was about.

After BQ, he regularly memorizes 30-40 a week (his choice, he is only suppose to do 15 a week). He's sad when he has learned all the material for the year he looks forward to the next year. He asks questions about the verses. We get to study what they mean and because my 3 oldest are all studying the same material we get to have discussions about what things mean. No one was interested in that before. My child actually remember to pray for someone besides themselves. The coaches really stress the importance of prayer. Not only do they remember to pray for their teammates and coaches in their bedtime prayers, the kids regularly get together as a group and pray for each other during alter call at the end of service.

This is only our 3rd year but my oldest can quote much of the material from both of the previous 2 years (each year he learned close to 300 verses). The next 2 have only quizzed 1 year before this year but they too can still quote some of last year's material.

Obviously every program is different so they may not all be set up like our is but for us there has been much good. I still don't like the competitive aspect but since it's motivating my kids to want to learn and study the Bible, I will support the program every step of the way.

BTW, my oldest son (11) told me the other day that he really wants to go on a mission trip. I said I could see it happening in the next couple of years. He told me that because of all the papers he'd written, missionaries he'd learned about, and handing out tracts/sharing the gospel with people through his Awana program, that he felt it would be a good next step for him. It may possibly be that we just have one of the most awesome Awanas groups, but they are really about equipping the dc. My 11yo is VERY into it and does the golds and silvers at the back of each section. I believe a lot of it has given him a heart for the Lord that He wouldn't have had otherwise. I guess it all depends on the soil that said seed is being planted in. If you're working on your children's hearts at home, then Awana or another memory program could be one more tool to lead them to a closer walk with the Lord. If not, then they're still learning scripture but maybe just to get the badges & for the wrong motives??

Edited by Texas T

I was part of a Quiz team in Jr. High and we memorized 2 books of the Bible (there was primary & secondary prioritization) and then answered questions (you jump up if ya know that answer). It was optional participation and I enjoyed it, even though I wasn't very good at being a quick jumper, I really knew the material.

Up until age 30, I could still very easily recite the first 2 chapters of Ephesians, and still have sections that come very easily.

I think Scripture memorization is a positive thing. ;)

My son did AWANA from Pre-K to 3rd grade and loved it! When he fell into a coma and then did AWANA, it was impossible due to short term (working) memory issues from the coma. He was bummed. I don't force him to memorize.

Hubby was a Navigator in college and memorized entire books of the bible. No awards. But they were also nicknamed the "Never-daters" by fellow collgeians, too. :D To this day, 20+ years later, it amazes me to hear verses of chunks of books from the Bible flow out of this man's mouth tied together in everyday conversation to others -- usually to younger church members or discipling young converts. As he is getting older, he finds it helps sharpen his memory to try to recall past verses and then check them for accuracy. Mind you, hubby is the LEAST boastful person and is very kind and humble. But wow -- I wish I had the follow thru to do bible verse memorization. I tend to be very lack of focus on it. ;)

Kids are going to memorize stuff. Be it the Barney song or Psalm 23, that's just how their (maybe our) minds work.

When you get something inside you, when you're soaked in it, steeped in it, speak it, write it, say it--it becomes who you are. It informs the way you think, even on a subconcious level.

Memorizing Scripture is, to me, one of the most foundational acts of faith, in many ways equal in value to prayer. I can't think of anything offhand that exceeds these two acts in closeness to God, although I realize that other denominations would have a list to add here.

I grew up memorizing Scripture & reading the Bible, such that I rarely encounter something I haven't known since I was a child. BUT when I reached the age that friends were questioning their faith, etc., as my own mother moved away from the denomination in which she & I were both raised, my faith itself was not shaken because it did not really lay w/ a particular denomination & that denom's interpretation of Scripture--my faith was in the Scripture itself.

Beyond that, most of us see value in memorizing poetry, facts, etc. It's part of the classical method. Maybe no one poem, fact, or verse will make a huge impact on a person's thought process by itself, but a bunch of them together, a lifestyle of memorization? Those, I believe, will.

As to the contests, they're fun. From what I've seen in the yr that my kids have been in Awanas, they're competing against themselves, not ea other. They do have goals to meet, but they're very simple ones. The verses are much shorter than what we were doing on our own, but the church program is much more consistent than I am, lol, so I guess it balances. Plus, I tend to miss basic verses because I pick beautiful ones that are very long. Not that which verse you memorize is really the main point....

I think if a child enjoys the contests, that's a fine way to encourage memorizing Scripture. Some people give their kids candy to suck as the read/ memorize, to remind them that the Word is sweet. I think that's fine. I think we tend to be a little too serious sometimes and dry religion up more than it needs to be. It's ok if some of it's fun.

Now some kids probably wouldn't like the format of something like Awanas--I sure wouldn't force it. I don't think it's too big of a deal either way, but for me? I sure wish there were an adult version, because I find myself much more motivated to do things like memorize Scripture when I'm in a group, laughing, talking, analyzing, whatever. Esp if there are prizes. ;)

BTW, my oldest son (11) told me the other day that he really wants to go on a mission trip. I said I could see it happening in the next couple of years. He told me that because of all the papers he'd written, missionaries he'd learned about, and handing out tracts/sharing the gospel with people through his Awana program, that he felt it would be a good next step for him. It may possibly be that we just have one of the most awesome Awanas groups, but they are really about equipping the dc. My 11yo is VERY into it and does the golds and silvers at the back of each section. I believe a lot of it has given him a heart for the Lord that He wouldn't have had otherwise. I guess it all depends on the soil that said seed is being planted in. If you're working on your children's hearts at home, then Awana or another memory program could be one more tool to lead them to a closer walk with the Lord. If not, then they're still learning scripture but maybe just to get the badges & for the wrong motives??

I taught Sparks for AWANA for years and it always moved me to tears to see the little ones accept Jesus into their hearts. My son did so thanks to AWANA when he was a Cubbie. That part of the program has its eternal rewards and will always have a spot in my heart for blessings. Great program!

ETA: Yes, AWANA allows 2 helps on verses -- we want to give them mercy when drilling. And the curriculum (I taught this part) and group message by the evening's speaker (Commander) is tied into the weekly verse or book. It is a great program. It does sink in.

Edited by tex-mex

Kids are going to memorize stuff. Be it the Barney song or Psalm 23, that's just how their (maybe our) minds work.

When you get something inside you, when you're soaked in it, steeped in it, speak it, write it, say it--it becomes who you are. It informs the way you think, even on a subconcious level.

Memorizing Scripture is, to me, one of the most foundational acts of faith, in many ways equal in value to prayer. I can't think of anything offhand that exceeds these two acts in closeness to God, although I realize that other denominations would have a list to add here.

I grew up memorizing Scripture & reading the Bible, such that I rarely encounter something I haven't known since I was a child. BUT when I reached the age that friends were questioning their faith, etc., as my own mother moved away from the denomination in which she & I were both raised, my faith itself was not shaken because it did not really lay w/ a particular denomination & that denom's interpretation of Scripture--my faith was in the Scripture itself.

Beyond that, most of us see value in memorizing poetry, facts, etc. It's part of the classical method. Maybe no one poem, fact, or verse will make a huge impact on a person's thought process by itself, but a bunch of them together, a lifestyle of memorization? Those, I believe, will.

As to the contests, they're fun. From what I've seen in the yr that my kids have been in Awanas, they're competing against themselves, not ea other. They do have goals to meet, but they're very simple ones. The verses are much shorter than what we were doing on our own, but the church program is much more consistent than I am, lol, so I guess it balances. Plus, I tend to miss basic verses because I pick beautiful ones that are very long. Not that which verse you memorize is really the main point....

I think if a child enjoys the contests, that's a fine way to encourage memorizing Scripture. Some people give their kids candy to suck as the read/ memorize, to remind them that the Word is sweet. I think that's fine. I think we tend to be a little too serious sometimes and dry religion up more than it needs to be. It's ok if some of it's fun.

Now some kids probably wouldn't like the format of something like Awanas--I sure wouldn't force it. I don't think it's too big of a deal either way, but for me? I sure wish there were an adult version, because I find myself much more motivated to do things like memorize Scripture when I'm in a group, laughing, talking, analyzing, whatever. Esp if there are prizes. ;)

Great post, Aubrey.

I think some of it is personality, too. There are many ways to worship, serve and even evangelize. God calls and equips us differently.

I think some of it is personality, too. There are many ways to worship, serve and even evangelize. God calls and equips us differently.

I do agree with that to a degree. I think He calls all of us to know His Word and to store it in our hearts because we can't really know Him unless we know His Word...memory is a very powerful way to do that. I was wanting to give the positive end of scripture memory programs, because, well, we've had nothing but positive from them, even with the competitive edge.

I told hubby of this thread and he smiled when he heard of your post, Aubrey! He also added that it is good to know scripture in your heart for the day when there will be no Bibles and false teachers/prophets come to trick us into believing what the Bible says. For example, it amazes him to watch a TV show and immediately know the person doesn't know what they are talking about -- as the verse they are quoting is not in the Bible. Good food for thought.

I do not like the 'scripture for prizes' attitude. That being said, my kids have been in AWANA and Bible drill because that was the predominant activity for their age group. Fortunately the AWANA club we were involved in was very laid back and emphasized Christ over heaping praise on the 'top' kids.

I totally agree with all the posts saying how important Scripture memory and other memory work is for children. My dd7 understood that Scripture memory was more than just for prizes. Yet dd5 who was only in Cubbies was the one who was getting mixed messages. My # 1 priority, is the heart of my dc. And if they are doing it for the wrong motives I am not ok with that. Now that we have shifted our focus off competing there is just a lot more joy when it comes to memorizing Scipture (I try to make it fun).

Another thing that bothered me about our Awana club is that some of the children coming did not have as involved parents as my children do. Their parents weren't making sure they did their memory work, so they did not recieve rewards/praise. The children that constantly got praise and reward were the pastor's kids (they are very competitive about it). I think if the main focus is to reach those children that are not from Christian homes, the memory work should be done durring club.

I havent read all of the other replies.....but here's my two cents.

I was involved in a Baptist church as a chid and did lots of scripture memorization. When we finished our books, we got trophies. I finished all of my books from 1st - 6th grade. I can still recall majority of the scripture today. I think it most definitely aided me in hiding God's word in my heart.

We attend a Baptist church now and my DD is involved in AWANA. I think it is a WONDERFUL program. We incorporate the AWANA verses into our daily Bible curriculum time. She's doing great and is hiding God's word in her heart. It is neat to hear her be able to recall scripture that she learned last year. She's working towards a prize but learning valuable scripture at the same time.

I have no problem with it. I think its great. :D