Menu

Surely (S/O of the who/whom thread)

Do people still use the word "surely" anymore? As in "He surely will get in trouble if he steals some money." or "Surely, you've met before?"

I still use it but I always feel funny when I do. No one else I know IRL seems to use it.

I use it. I haven't noticed that it's not used.

So if someone says, "It looks like rain." Do you say, "It sure does." or "It surely does."

If someone says, "Please help me with this heavy box." Do you say, "Sure, I'll be there in a minute." or "Surely, I'll be there in a minute."

I agree that I mostly hear it used only in certain instances-"surely, they will be here soon." I rarely hear "we surely completed our work quickly today." In the latter case most people use "sure." There are times even *I* don't use "surely" because it does sound antiquated, might as well start using "verily." :D

This is an example of my personal usage taken from an email I sent to my dd's school counselor asking for clarification as to why two class periods had been used the previous week by her L.A. teacher to show the movie Ratatouille (this is an 8th grade L.A. class by the way, but I digress): "Surely, there must be plenty of things they have yet to learn..."