Menu

Mac vs. new PC

Our Dell is on its last legs. We were going to replace it with another Dell, but my mom and dad just got one and it's been awful for them. The customer service has been abismal. My mom has spent the last month on the phone with them and still hasn't gotten her information transferred over to the new computer. She's spent HOURS and HOURS on the phone with them. And, now, it's past the time where she gets free phone support. And, she hasn't been able to understand them and they can't always understand her. They just don't speak english very well!

Dh has been impressed with the Apple store the couple times he's gone in with his Ipod Touch. And, I'm hearing great things about them.

Does anyone here have one? What is so much better? What can't I do on a Mac that I'm used to doing on a PC? I use Word, Excel, and Publisher regularly. Can I do that on a Mac? Can I email these files to people with a PC? Can I open files sent from a PC? Sorry if these are basic questions - I have no clue!!!

Anyone prefer a PC? Why?

Thanks for any information!!

There is not a version of Publisher for Mac. Office is available if you want it. I have it, but prefer to use iLife applications.

I use a Mac and have for 20 years now. I was also a network analyst for a fortune 500 company using all PCs before kids. I live in both worlds easily enough. For myself I choose Macs.

What is great about them, greater reliability, fantastic customer service.

Negatives would include that some software titles are not available on the Mac. Not everything is Mac compatible. However, Mac's use Intel processors and we have XP on a couple of ours and will install Windows 7 soon. (We're geeks and also have a Windows server and a Unix box sitting around, computers are plentiful at our house - its dh's profession too.)

Yes, you can share files by email between a Mac and a PC.

After many years of PC ownership and all of the issues that come with it, I switched to a Mac. It was weird for about a week. Now I LOVE IT! I will *never* go back to a PC.

I can open files from a PC. All of my files transferred fine. I use Word and Excel on my Mac and once I got used to the new versions, it's been fine.

We are on our 4th Mac. Just purchased it in August. Because my dh works at a university (as an electrician!) we were able to get the promo that included a free iPod Touch which I am now using on a regular basis. I love both of my new toys!!!!

I have worked with PC and I just prefer the Mac. The new MacBook we purchased includes iLife, a new word processing, spreadsheet, powerpoint program. It is a bit different from the Appleworks program which came with my previous computer and at first I was a bit unhappy. I dislike learning something new. But the folks at Apple have done it again. The new program is just superior and the online tutorials that may be watched help so much.

Our Pastor recently switched from PC to Mac. He says he wishes he had done so a long time ago.

You may be able to get a discount if you order directly from the Apple store. I know a Mac can be expensive, but I always say they are worth every penny. You may be able to purchase a slightly older or even a refurbished Mac. All the items come with a warranty. While we have never purchased a computer from Apple we have purchased several refurbished iPods at a greatly discounted price. Items were shipped promptly and we have never had a problem with the items, even though I was nervous about purchasing a "refurbished" item.

Hope you choose Mac. I am confident you will be happy.

Adrianne in IL

Anyone willing to help me hire a skywriter to write the "GO MAC" message in the sky for my DH!? My Dell is about to DIE! I had him ready to go Mac, and he said that "some guy at work is willing to re-build our PC for $500." AAAACK...... I'm tired of band-aids.

I VOTE MAC ALL THE WAY. I had a Mac when I was in the corporate world managing huge databases and very large graphics projects.

There are some features in the PC that I miss but we have two PC's and one Mac so I use both.

Don't like about Mac:

PC print page has the option of printing odd only or even only - Mac doesn't - I was wrong about this one - it does do this!

PC DVD player can speed up to watch in 1.2 & 1.4 speed - Mac doesn't

PC transfer of CD's onto itunes is faster than Mac (this may depend on how much you spent on your PC)

IF the MAC does these things - please someone tell me how!

Like about Mac:

Text to speech is VERY easy to use and my boys like this feature

LED screen is much brighter & crisper than PC

Lighter & sleeker than PC

I still haven't learned a fraction of what I need to fully use my MacBook Pro; I'm glad I bought the Mac!

Edited by MIch elle

Whatever you do, don't go with Dell. They used to be a wonderful company. I will not work with them anymore.

I prefer pcs because I can build them myself far cheaper than I could get a mac. Far, far cheaper. Maybe make building your own pc a homeschool project. It would be fun, and it's not at all hard.

Mac all the way here. The only drawback is I can't use Publisher - and I really don't like Print Shop.

I had a chance just last week to use a Dell PC side by side with my Macbook - I am SO glad we switched to Macs for home! The PC was slow, clunky, awkward......a painful experience after my Mac.

There is a short learning curve when you switch, but it's pretty painless because most of the Mac's controls are very intuitive.

We switched about 10 years ago and have never regretted it.

I love how easy it is to make movies and do things with photos. Also, no problems e-mailing word, powerpoint, and excel files back and forth with PC users.

Our main computer can run as a PC as well, occasionally my husband has a work specific application that needs to be run on a PC--but, we haven't used it in years, his last few jobs he's had a PC laptop for those needs.

Don't like about Mac:

PC print page has the option of printing odd only or even only - Mac doesn't

PC DVD player can speed up to watch in 1.2, 1.4, 2.0 speed - Mac doesn't

PC transfer of CD's onto itunes is faster than Mac (this may depend on how much you spent on your PC)

I still haven't learned a fraction of what I need to fully use my MacBook Pro; I'm glad I bought the Mac!

Even and odd page printing is available. In reasonably current versions of of OSX, it is under paper handling for my both of our HP printers and all others I have tried (I remote accessed a couple of client sites with different OS versions and printers to make sure it is always there).

When using DVD player, it does not have scan rates below 2.0. There are other DVD players available, you would probably have to download one of those if you want a rate in between 1.0 and 2.0.

The speed it transfers a CD to iTunes depends on the speed of your CD-ROM drive. If you purchased a faster one on your PC than you did in your Mac it will be faster. The reverse would also be true for someone coming from an old PC buying a new Mac with a faster CD :001_smile:.

Even and odd page printing is available.

When using DVD player, it does not have scan rates below 2.0. There are other DVD players available, you would probably have to download one of those if you want a rate in between 1.0 and 2.0.

The speed it transfers a CD to iTunes depends on the speed of your CD-ROM drive. If you purchased a faster one on your PC than you did in your Mac it will be faster. The reverse would also be true for someone coming from an old PC buying a new Mac with a faster CD :001_smile:.

I'll have to look into downloading a faster scan player ???

Yes, my PC has a faster DVD drive than my MacBook Pro. That's what's nice about buying a PC you can upgrade in multiple areas of the PC to get exactly what you want. With Apple you buy what versions they have, no customization.

I'll have to look into downloading a faster scan player ???

Yes, my PC has a faster DVD drive than my MacBook Pro. That's what's nice about buying a PC you can upgrade in multiple areas of the PC to get exactly what you want. With Apple you buy what versions they have, no customization.

Glad you figured it out.

I have customized new macs I've bought.

Does anyone here have one? What is so much better? What can't I do on a Mac that I'm used to doing on a PC?

It's not so much about what you can't do on a Mac, it's how much you can accomplish without the headaches! Everything you do on a PC can be done on a Mac without worrying about viruses and incompatibilities. if you do need Apple Customer Service, it is rated number 1 by every article i've seen. think of all the time you can now recall. think of the lost hours your Mom has spent so far with her Dell.

my son has an Intel iMac that he also put windows on. we just had to nuke the windows side after 3 months because of, well, who knows. and yes, he had all sorts of virus protection on it. there are some PC games he wants to play which is why he wants a Windows partition but the PC side is frustrating for him in a way the Mac side never is.

btw, those of you switcher missing Publisher, check out Swift Publisher from Belightsoft.com. great piece of software that i use a lot. reasonably priced and the developer is very customer service oriented.

We were surprised how inexpensive PCs were last year. Crazy inexpensive...and no need for upgrades and everything simply transferred over easy as pie. We toyed with the Mac idea, I've worked on them in the past, but purchased another PC for under $400 with a printer. Personally, I'm now for spending less as technology seems to change quickly. Our last PC left me feeling completely guilt free. No tomatoes...it was a Walmart end of the year model clearance.

Check out all your options. I think computers are like cars...They all get you where you want to go, and some people need to be in love with theirs while others think of them as a means of transportation. kwim?

Just my opinion though...and I'm just not one to get all excited over an electronic purchase. :001_huh: My dh and son do though;).

Edited by Tammyla

When I go to help "paper handling" I get nothing on my Mac.

Macs definitely do print odd or even pages or both.... I just did huge parts of the VP manuals using that feature. :tongue_smilie: On mine, I go to

Paper Handling

>> Pages to Print

>> All Pages (scroll down to Odd Only or Even Only)

Hope it works for you. I was so happy when I finally found it!

yvonne

Edited: Didn't read the whole thread before posting. Glad you found it!

Edited by yvonne

I think computers are like cars...They all get you where you want to go, and some people need to be in love with theirs while others think of them as a means of transportation. kwim?

:iagree::iagree: NO tomatoes!

I still really like my MacBook Pro! I rather have the newest, latest greatest gadget than jewelry (like most women I know)! My dh HAD to have a BlueRay player & "SONY" flat screen LCD TV - not me, the old one was fine LOL. :D

Check out all your options. I think computers are like cars...They all get you where you want to go, and some people need to be in love with theirs while others think of them as a means of transportation. kwim?

and most people prefer to buy reliable cars that don't break down frequently and leave them stranded.

:iagree: Our PC purchase last year was to hand-down our 5+ y/o laptop to my high schooler and the laptop was only purchased to get rid of the biggest monitor on the face the earth. That thing was old and took up so much room on my desk.;)

and most people prefer to buy reliable cars that don't break down frequently and leave them stranded.

Mac all the way here. The only drawback is I can't use Publisher - and I really don't like Print Shop.

I had a chance just last week to use a Dell PC side by side with my Macbook - I am SO glad we switched to Macs for home! The PC was slow, clunky, awkward......a painful experience after my Mac.

There is a short learning curve when you switch, but it's pretty painless because most of the Mac's controls are very intuitive.

That's because it was a Dell! It reflects on Dell, not on PCs! Besides you can't really compare unless the computer specs are very similar.