Menu

Flu or worse in Ukraine. And I travel for "K" on Sunday...

We left the country last Monday and by the end of the week there were reports of epidemic H1N1 in the western part of Ukraine. However, there is some indication that it's not H1N1, but is related to the 1917/1918 influenza. This comparison is based upon melted, blood-soaked lungs, pneumonia, etc.

Here are several articles and blog posts. I don't know how reliable they are as it's hard to figure out what is propaganda, politics, hyperbole, etc.:

http://thebirdflupandemic.com/archives/swine-flu-typhus-ebola-hemorrhagic-fever-pneumonic-plague-panic-explodes-as-a-mystery-illness-rips-through-ukraine

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11030902/Ukraine_Hemor.html

http://blogs.healthfreedomalliance.org/blog/2009/10/31/update-539a-local-ukraine-pneumonic-plague/

http://davidrothscum.blogspot.com/2009/10/has-baxter-international-released.html

Honestly, unless the Ukrainian government says, "Don't come," I don't have an option. I am not going to the region that has been hardest hit. I do want to be as wise as I can be and am most interested in taking items with me to avoid a cytokine storm. Suggestions?

Of course, I'd love your prayers!

The best for cytokine storm is anti-inflammatory foods, especially turmeric and omega fatty oils like flax seed oil and hemp seed oil.

Check out the herbal lomatium...Native Americans that used this root survived the 1918 flu. http://www.naturalnews.com/020091.html

Bring essential oils to sanitize the air you breathe...eucalyptus, lavender, lemon, cinnamon, rosemary, oregano, etc. http://www.secretofthieves.com/

The last link you posted sums everything I know about Baxter in the Ukraine, and I agree with David's research 100%. I strongly advise not getting the vax they are distributing there.

There's some political motives (elections, gas and the EU, and International Monetary Fund) involved with the fear mongering propaganda in the Ukraine, so don't let it worry you too much, some is over exaggeration.

I'm sending prayers for your safety and protection in the Ukraine. :grouphug:

Edited by Devotional Soul

I recently read an article in an e-mail I received about what's causing the lung problems in H1N1, but unfortunately I trashed it. Here's a snippet from a blog that says essentially the same thing, though:

"The researchers showed that the flu virus damages our lungs through its "M2 protein," which attacks the cells that line the inner surfaces of our lungs (epithelial cells). Specifically, the M2 protein disrupts lung epithelial cells' ability to remove liquid from inside of our lungs, setting the stage for pneumonia and other lung problems."

http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_articles/m2_protein_and_antioxidants_may_be_key_reducing_h1h1_influenza_damage

The article goes on to state that antioxidants may be the key to preventing the damage. That would mean eating a diet with a wide variety of vegetables, fruit, spices and herbs (crushed raw garlic, tumeric, oil of oregano, elderberry, etc.). Avoid sugar and simple starches as best as you can. So, along with washing hands carefully, eat well and get rest.

I also take extra D3 (cholecalciferol). If I'm getting just a sniffle, I start taking 50 IUs per day. I give the same to my son.

Congratulations and good luck on your Gotcha Day!

I would take vitamin d (if *I* were in your position, I would take 50,000iu per day for three days before departing, then 1,000iu per 25lbs of body weight per day after that) and omega 3s along with a good multi-vitamin.

I'm not a fan of hand sanitizer in most situations, but for this case, I would take it and use it regularly.

I'm so excited for you that the time has finally come to bring Katya home!

Thanks, ladies, for the encouragement and the information. I needed both of these. Late last night I was having these fears of getting over there, getting sick, my lungs melting, bleeding out, and leaving seven children without a mother. I just need to be smart, follow your advice, and STOP researching. I get a bit OCD on researching at times and just need to step away from the computer and go read a book to the kids, or like last night, go to bed.

I would take vitamin d (if *I* were in your position, I would take 50,000iu per day for three days before departing, then 1,000iu per 25lbs of body weight per day after that) and omega 3s along with a good multi-vitamin.

I'm not a fan of hand sanitizer in most situations, but for this case, I would take it and use it regularly.

I'm so excited for you that the time has finally come to bring Katya home!

This is almost exactly what I was going to say -- take ultra high dose D3 for several days before traveling, then high dose Vitamin D while you're traveling. Also, take probiotics with you. When we traveled to India, dd and I didn't have any "Delhi belly" b/c we were on probiotics. DH wasn't on them, and got sick until he started taking them.

When you get home with Katya, get her vitamin D levels checked and start dosing her (with 1-2K iu/day) if you find out that she's low. (Its' VERY likely. Our adopted son was very low, despite living in FL and being outside daily.)

HIH,

Lisa

I wanted to send you a msg with an easy self-care idea that we'd found very helpful when traveling.

{{Cindy}}

Valerie

Thanks, ladies, for the encouragement and the information. I needed both of these. Late last night I was having these fears of getting over there, getting sick, my lungs melting, bleeding out, and leaving seven children without a mother. I just need to be smart, follow your advice, and STOP researching. I get a bit OCD on researching at times and just need to step away from the computer and go read a book to the kids, or like last night, go to bed.

I've been following the Ukraine posts on flutrackers. I'm inclined to believe that this is a mix of politics + that this is the pandemic H1N1 flu (WHO is on the ground - they'd know if it was something else & so far there is no indication of a significant mutation) but this is how it presents in a country with poor infrastructure.

I'd check & re-check with both the US state department about advisories & with the Ukraine consulate about whether borders remain open.

Ukraine was talking about limiting travel between regions too so you'll want to make sure you can go where you need to go.

masks will not look out of place.

http://en.rian.ru/photolents/20091103/156701414.html

N95s are not comfortable to wear for a long time btw. I'd bring a box of them & a box of surgical masks. If the situation continues, these will probably be valuable there. There were newsreports of people sewing masks with cheesecloth.

Stay healthy & best wishes on finalizng the adoption

N95s are not comfortable to wear for a long time btw. I'd bring a box of them & a box of surgical masks.

A recent study found no difference in rates of influenza among nurses who wore N95 vs. regular surgical masks. About 23% of each group developed influenza during the flu season. It would have been interesting if they had included a control group who didn't wear any mask at all.

A recent study found no difference in rates of influenza among nurses who wore N95 vs. regular surgical masks. About 23% of each group developed influenza during the flu season. It would have been interesting if they had included a control group who didn't wear any mask at all.

Yeah, I have heard that they really don't help.

The pictures of the people in the UK wearing masks was kind of funny to me. Most of them had gaps on the sides, and it looks like all of them were surgical masks. They may as well have put a tissue over their faces and called it good.:tongue_smilie:

Cindy, I know what an emotional time this is! I travelled to China during the SARS scare and was so concerned I'd bring it back to my family! Also, although our agency failed to tell us, our orphanage had been shut down due to an outbreak in measles! Our agency flew us out to put pressure on the Chinese govt. That's an expensive test. As we climbed the Great Wall of China, our agency representative was fighting and putting on the pressure to give us our babies. We had NO idea! When we did find out that we may not be getting our babies, I was heartbroken. It was a very, very emotional time.

When I did get my daughter, she was very, very sick and we were told that we had to stay behind and everyone else would leave us in a few days. Our pediatrician was positive she didn't have SARS so we gave her Motrin and headed to the airport. They had machines that showed thermal images, and anyone with a fever couldn't travel. I was SO SCARED, but we made it through!

I have relived many of those difficult moments through your posts. Rest assured, God is in control and He will take care of everything. Your daughter will be home safe and sound before you know it!!!

:grouphug:

I went away last weekend, BY MYSELF!!!! to a local hotel, but even then, I was concerned because you don't know how wellt he rooms were cleaned, and who was there before you. I took a container of clorox wipes and wiped down EVERTHING before I unpacked. Everything that I could, of course. And, like other people, my hands are red and cracking from washing. And masks are not out of place in other countries. I'm surprised their not used more here in America.

Praying a safe, healthy trip for you!!!

Be sure you have tylenol or ibuprofen with you. Some countries are now scanning or taking temperatures of people entering their country. Maybe head over there as soon as possible. I've heard on NPR that they think politics has something to do with this but WHO is checking it out.

Denise, thank you for sharing your story - absolutely amazing. Reading it gave me courage!

Thanks for all the tips. I'm over my freak-out mode and am not as worried about actually getting sick anymore. I am taking Tamiflu and an antibiotic dosed for Katya and myself, in case either of us should get sick. More so, I'm worried about getting stopped, held in the airport, stuck in the country forever b/c of people being out sick, etc. So, I'm taking masks, although I don't think they work, just to blend in and look responsible since that what everyone else is doing. I'm taking Tylenol, Advil, and Robitussin so that we can mask symptoms that I would just have a kiddoe rest, read, and eat chicken soup for at home. I'll take hand sanitizer too. I hadn't thought about Clorox wipes. I'll toss those in too.

I do have my trip registered with the U.S. Embassy so that I will receive any updates/warnings from them while I'm in country.

And, I'll be updating my blog as I'm able. PM me if you need that addy.

Thanks, ladies! I leave in four days!