Menu

Do any of you ever take this kind of school day?

Hah, some of you might do this all the time. Today I grabbed 3x5 cards and wrote on them.

1. Read fiction.

2. Read nonfiction.

3. Write

4. Math

5. Memorize something.

6. Learn something new.

7. Art

8. Music

9. Outside

I handed one to each child and told them to do something that would fit each category. I didn't care what. They just have to show me what they did and mark it off. They think they have died and gone to heaven. LOL.

I"m getting my house clean today!! I just needed a mental health day.

Hah, some of you might do this all the time. Today I grabbed 3x5 cards and wrote on them.

1. Read fiction.

2. Read nonfiction.

3. Write

4. Math

5. Memorize something.

6. Learn something new.

7. Art

8. Music

9. Outside

I handed one to each child and told them to do something that would fit each category. I didn't care what. They just have to show me what they did and mark it off. They think they have died and gone to heaven. LOL.

I"m getting my house clean today!! I just needed a mental health day.

:lol: Yes, we've taken millions of them over the years. Never thought to actually give them the list though. Great idea. :)

WOW, this sounds just like what I need today! I'm 3 weeks away from my due date and having false contractions like crazy. So needless to say, it's getting very, very hard for me to focus on anything right now. Thank goodness Grandma is coming a week early to help out so I only have to hold out for another couple days. Thanks for the idea! :001_smile:

So here is what they wound up doing. Not anything like our "normal" school day but it kept them busy. I managed to get the house clean. They cleaned & organized their rooms. It was a good day and a much needed break from the routine.

Buttercup - 10yo (5th grade)

1. Math - Played Math Swamp and Math War with her brother. She read, Metric Can Be Fun! by Munro Leaf since she is working on metric measurements in Singapore math.

2. Read Fiction - She read a few chapters in Anne of Green Gables.

3. Read Non-fiction - She read DK's Water Hole and told me all about elephant scat. Ewwww.

4. Write - She finished a three page (single spaced) adventure story and copied a poem. She hunted for just the right poem for a loooong time. Reading all those poems has to count for something.

5. Art - Created pumpkin decorations for Saturday night.

6. Music - She listened to Lyrical Life Science vol. 3 while cleaning and organizing her room. Brother came in and they belted out, "In your mouth there is saliva, it's a digestive juice. It mixes as you're eating with particles you chew..."

7. Memory Work - She finished memorizing her Awana passages for Wed. night.

8. Learn Something New - Did you know that butterflies actually suck up the moisture from elephant scat? Gross.

9. Outside - She built a fort outside in the backyard using leaves and limbs from our trimmed Mulberry tree.

DragonFly - 7yo (2nd grade)

1. Math - played Math Swamp and Math War with sister. He read a stack of Mathstart books.

2. Read Fiction - The King's Stilts by Dr. Seuss and a bunch of silly stuff.

3. Read Non-fiction - He read a few of the Dr. Seuss science books & got caught up in the poems that his sister was sifting through.

4. Write - He copied his name in cursive for a whole page. He is very interested in learning cursive right now so I'm letting him try. He could have written more but he hates it so he did barest minimum.

5. Art - Also made pumpkin decorations.

6. Music - Sang at the top of his lungs to Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart. He almost has all those carols memorized. Got his room cleaned up.

7. Memory Work - Also worked on Awana passages.

8. Learn Something New - That a telescope had been made but it wasn't in Galileo's town so Galileo made his own telescope. (He obviously read some kind of book about Galileo today).

9. Outside - Built a fort with sister.

So here is what they wound up doing. Not anything like our "normal" school day but it kept them busy. I managed to get the house clean. They cleaned & organized their rooms. It was a good day and a much needed break from the routine.

Buttercup - 10yo (5th grade)

1. Math - Played Math Swamp and Math War with her brother. She read, Metric Can Be Fun! by Munro Leaf since she is working on metric measurements in Singapore math.

2. Read Fiction - She read a few chapters in Anne of Green Gables.

3. Read Non-fiction - She read DK's Water Hole and told me all about elephant scat. Ewwww.

4. Write - She finished a three page (single spaced) adventure story and copied a poem. She hunted for just the right poem for a loooong time. Reading all those poems has to count for something.

5. Art - Created pumpkin decorations for Saturday night.

6. Music - She listened to Lyrical Life Science vol. 3 while cleaning and organizing her room. Brother came in and they belted out, "In your mouth there is saliva, it's a digestive juice. It mixes as you're eating with particles you chew..."

7. Memory Work - She finished memorizing her Awana passages for Wed. night.

8. Learn Something New - Did you know that butterflies actually suck up the moisture from elephant scat? Gross.

9. Outside - She built a fort outside in the backyard using leaves and limbs from our trimmed Mulberry tree.

DragonFly - 7yo (2nd grade)

1. Math - played Math Swamp and Math War with sister. He read a stack of Mathstart books.

2. Read Fiction - The King's Stilts by Dr. Seuss and a bunch of silly stuff.

3. Read Non-fiction - He read a few of the Dr. Seuss science books & got caught up in the poems that his sister was sifting through.

4. Write - He copied his name in cursive for a whole page. He is very interested in learning cursive right now so I'm letting him try. He could have written more but he hates it so he did barest minimum.

5. Art - Also made pumpkin decorations.

6. Music - Sang at the top of his lungs to Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart. He almost has all those carols memorized. Got his room cleaned up.

7. Memory Work - Also worked on Awana passages.

8. Learn Something New - That a telescope had been made but it wasn't in Galileo's town so Galileo made his own telescope. (He obviously read some kind of book about Galileo today).

9. Outside - Built a fort with sister.

I'm truly amazed. Way to go, all of you!

• 4 months later...

I have tried something like this before. I wish it would have gone over better in my house. My ds will do the least amount possible so I would have to make these more specific.

You know what i just might give it a go again and see what happens. I really really need to get the house cleaned! :tongue_smilie: