Menu

I don't want to start a crazy political debate,

But it's a deduction and not a credit so then it really wouldn't yield much. You'd still have to spend the $ on the expenses & then you apply for a deduction which would presumably lower your taxes payable but not by a huge amount.....I can't see someone getting a pet, spending 3500 on vet care, just so they can claim it & save a couple hundred on their taxes.

It also specifically says that the purchase price for an animal doesn't count. & if it was people trying to make a quick buck off this I'm guessing they'd be buying a mill or petstore animal, not going through rescue. I'm one of those rescue types too; I think a good rescue will have sufficient screening to prevent most deadbeat owners.

Hmmm...deduction is better. (I couldn't get the link to work and am in the middle of a move so didn't take the time to research.)

I'm not really sure how I feel about it so I'll leave it at that now and go pack more boxes and drink more coffee

Edited by Debbie in OR
deleted thoughts...not enough coffee.

Couldn't someone make the same argument about a child?

I agree with you, I just can see how someone might argue that a deduction for a pet isn't vastly different than that for a child.

I don't think you can make the same argument about a child. A child will hopefully grow up to be a productive, tax-paying member of society. A pet won't.

I think it's sort of silly -- at least the amount of $$$$ they're suggesting/pet. I can see a small write-off each year though. This would impact me in a positive way though. I have 3 cats & 2 dogs. The dogs are getting older and their vet bills are getting higher because of it. I would take care of them either way though. I made the commitment of taking care of them for their entire lives when we made the decision to bring them into our home and make them part of our family.

Ludicrous. As someone previously mentioned, pet ownership is optional. I fear it would lead to a bunch of claimed-then-abandoned animals. And what arm of the government will be charged with enforcement, door-knocking for "pet checks"?

I could only see it if it were an official assistance animal, but my guess is that's already covered elsewhere in the messy tax code.

Just another one of many good intentions that are addressed with no thought to the true ramifications.

I wish they'd get serious about passing some real deductions, like tax credits for home schoolers who purchase all their own curriculum while continuing to pay in to the public school tax base. Then again, I guess it's really safer if they keep ignoring us...

What if it's a service pet, or part of a canine unit? :D

I imagine as part of a canine unit, a law enforcement agency has a budgetary expense set aside for this, just as they would for any other sort of equipment used in their operations.

Certainly there's already some provision for service animals, wouldn't you think? Anyone know for sure?

Since they have no real issues to ponder :glare:, of COURSE they should be spending time making up foolish bills like this one.

If they are truly this bored, can I suggest they look at ways to make the current tax code more user friendly?!

Just what we need, more pages to add to the never-ending tax rules already on the books...............

Assuming this is true....

I'm a little torn. My first reaction was WHAT?!? But think about it, for many people their pets are like their children. We get tax breaks for our children. Why not a pet?

But basically I still think it is ridiculous.

I think if you can't afford a pet, don't have one. I also think if you can't afford children, don't have them either.

This is way out there. Nothing however to be surprised about with Obama. But, if you want to know what I think. I think I am going to get myself a few pets!! Just kidding. I have enough in the form of children.

:rolleyes:

Oops, I guess you didn't realize that the bill was introduced by Michigan Republican Mr. McCotter (Chairman, House Republican Policy Committee)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

but I would like to hear what people think of the proposed amendment to the internal revenue code to offer a tax credit of up to $3500 for owning a pet.

Do you support it or not, and why. I'm just curious as to where most people stand on the issue.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3501:

DH and I own 5 dogs, 4 cats, and a vet practice. We agree that this is the stupidest idea we've heard in a very long time. And, we hear a lot of stupid ideas. I mean, come on, people! Idiocy.

I only read a the first page of responses but my initial impression is that this is a ridiculous idea. The potential for fraud and abuse is enormous, and even if everyone followed the rules to a tee I wouldn't want to subsidize everyone else's pet. My pets = my expense. I like it that way. I want less government, not more.