Menu

Camping food ideas?? HELP!!

Our family is going camping this weekend with my boys' cub scouts pack. In the past we have only camped for one night and this time it will be for two. PLus, as a family we had the option to eating at a restaurant. I'm assuming that we will be eating all meals at the campsite.

Besides hotdogs and smores, what are some ideas for campsite meals? What kind of snacks and drinks do you pack as well? I don't have any special camp cooking tools besides a large cast iron skillet. And there will be a grill there I assume. If you think I should get some other cooking utensils please let me know.

Thanks for any and all ideas!! :D

I am SO not a camping expert, but here are some tips I got from friends last year:

For the first night, you might want to make a big pot of chili or something similar at home, that you can warm up on the fire/camp stove or just try to keep it warm en route.

The next morning, buy packets of instant oatmeal and hot chocolate. Beg or borrow hot water from someone (we did!) and you have a warm, happy breakfast.

I made muffins for the kids to snack on, along with homemade granola bars. If I remember correctly, we had sandwiches/coldcuts for lunch the 2nd day.

Hope this gets you started. . . .and that someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in!

You can cook just about anything on a campfire if you have a grill that stands over the flame, a cast iron pan or two and a pot. Most firepits have one, but not all, which is why I own one. It's a rectangle with legs that stands in the fire pit.

If you want easy meals, you could do hot dogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese for dinner. Sandwiches make easy lunches. Cereal and pastries make the easiest breakfasts.

Our tradition with camping is to eat better than we do at home. We usually only go once a year for 4-5 days. For breakfast, we eat cereal, muffins, breakfast burritos, and eggs with bacon/sausage/steak. For lunch, we eat sandwiches, hot dogs, mac and cheese. For dinner, we'll have hamburgers, grilled chicken, filet mignon (we often bring a whole tenderloin roast), and eat at our favorite restaurant near the campsite. On the mignon day, we also have loaded baked potatoes, fresh green beans, and sauteed mushrooms. And it is all cooked on the campfire.

Easy snacks include sturdier fruit (apples, bananas), veggies, granola bars, string cheese, crackers, chips, cookies.

We do burgers with "camp potatoes" Put onto a large sheet of aluminum foil: thinly sliced potatoes, carrot slices, celery, onion and pepper (and any other veggies you would like). Sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper. Add a few dollops of butter and close up the aluminum foil (I usually put all the ingredients on one side, fold over the foil, and seal all edges tight). Make sure the package is not too thick or it will not cook evenly. Place on grill and cook until the potatoes are tender (you will have to open the package slightly to test but make sure not to rip package in case you need to seal up again and cook longer) Usually takes about 20-25 minutes for a package with 4-5 medium potatoes. Be sure to flip the package half way through the cooking time so that all sides get cooked evenly.

These are a favorite at my house-we even cook them on our grill at home.

Have fun!

Shannon in NC

My dh's favorite camping food is potato soup with clams added... basically makes a simple clam chowder and all you need to do is add water. My dh likes it because all camping he does is hike-camping, and the powdered potato soup mix and a package of clams don't add much weight to his pack. He and my ds8 used tuna instead of clams the last time (couldn't find clams in a vacuum pouch), and they said it was delicious.

We do burgers with "camp potatoes" Put onto a large sheet of aluminum foil: thinly sliced potatoes, carrot slices, celery, onion and pepper (and any other veggies you would like). Sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper. Add a few dollops of butter and close up the aluminum foil (I usually put all the ingredients on one side, fold over the foil, and seal all edges tight). Make sure the package is not too thick or it will not cook evenly. Place on grill and cook until the potatoes are tender (you will have to open the package slightly to test but make sure not to rip package in case you need to seal up again and cook longer) Usually takes about 20-25 minutes for a package with 4-5 medium potatoes. Be sure to flip the package half way through the cooking time so that all sides get cooked evenly.

These are a favorite at my house-we even cook them on our grill at home.

Have fun!

Shannon in NC

:iagree: let the boys do this themselves to earn their cooking badge. Reynolds Wrap has a whole section on grilling with foil. It is worth checking out, as many can be done over a campfire.

I love camp cooking. My favorite cooking item is a "Potjie" pot.

A big cast-iron cauldron (think witches or cannibals) with 3 legs that slow-cooks, with just a few coals or can be fired up hotter for faster cooking. They are from South Africa. Here's a picture:

http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/potjie-on-the-fire-potjiekospotfoodsouthafrica.jpg

A regular cast iron skillet can work wonders if you find 3 rocks (to balance the skillet on) and burn a fire (or hardwood charcoal) into embers in the center.

I'd second the pre-cooked chili as a good first night cook, when time is short.

Bill

Our favorite is to make "hobo packs". If you can find "hot bags" (basically a big aluminum foil bag) you can make the meal for everyone in one bag, or bring some aluminum foil and make individual packs. If you do them individually, the kids can add their favorite foods.

Basically, all you do is put cut up meat and veggies and put in the bag. We like sausage, chicken, or beef (stew size pieces) for meats (you can put more than one in). For veggies we like small corn cobs, cut up potatoes, and carrots, but you can also ad onion and other things, depending on what you like. After you put the meat and veggies in, put a bit of olive oil and a marinade like Dale's or Moore's. Close the bag up and cook until the meat is done.

If you cut everything up and put it in ziplocks ahead of time, it will be very easy to fix when you get to the campsite. Also, there will be very little clean-up!

Hope you have a great trip!

I love camp cooking. My favorite cooking item is a "Potjie" pot.

A big cast-iron cauldron (think witches or cannibals) with 3 legs that slow-cooks, with just a few coals or can be fired up hotter for faster cooking. They are from South Africa. Here's a picture:

http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/potjie-on-the-fire-potjiekospotfoodsouthafrica.jpg

Bill

These are very readily available here... we call them Dutch Ovens :)

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-8-Quart-Camp-Dutch/dp/B00008GKDW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255639352&sr=8-2

They are actually not the same.

The Lodge Dutch ovens have short legs (not a good thing in a camp-fire) and they have flat bottoms which deflect the heat and cook unevenly.

The Potjie in contrast has long legs and a rounded bottom. You can place one over low-embers and let it cook way for hours without stirring or fear of burning the food (think bush-version of a crock-pot).

I actually made a delicious curried beef and vegetable stew in the Potjie last night. When you show up at a camping trip with a Potjie (and others are setting up Coleman stoves) you earn some serious "cave-man" points :D

Bill (knuckle-dragger :tongue_smilie:)

Pre-cooked chili or beef stew heats up quick and makes for a hearty meal. Hamburgers and hot dogs are quick and easy to grill.

Pre-made foil packages (can even be made with leftovers) with meat, potatoes and vegetables can cook on a grill or in the coals of a fire.

For breakfast sometimes we make a hash - which is basically cooking eggs, cheese, hash brown potatoes, and bacon together in a cast iron skillet - yum.

I hate cooking and cleanup while camping. I try to have stuff ready ahead of time to just heat up.

Things we are taking with us to big Bend next weekend:

hobo packs :)

cooked fajita meat

tortillas

shredded cheese

salsa packets

small jars of applesauce/ peaches [enough to feed our whole family and throw the jar away that same meal]

eggs [cracked ahead of time and placed in a ziploc bag].

sausages [sliced ahead of time and frozen in a ziploc bag. usually cooked w/ the eggs in lieu of bacon]

oatmeal w/ cinnamon and sugar already mixed in.

cereal.

small boxes of shelf-stable milk [hate powdered stuff. smaller quantities insure there's not a big container to be refrigerated afterwards.]

granola bars

dried: raisins/apricots/banana chips

apples

carrots

beef jerky

pouch juices [like caprisun, 100%juice]

ramen soup :D

that's off the top of my head... i think there were a few other things we had down too....

to clarify.... we're hiking up Emory Peak, camping two nights, and spending an entire day at the top. we won't have any ice the third day we're hiking down [after a day of hiking up and a day of playing. :) ]

I never find cereal and pastry breakfasts to give me the energy I need to start my day. I have a one skillet breakfast that I make that I enjoy for camping situations.

It's basically scrambled eggs with other items thrown into it.

I usually cook up a batch of o'brien potatoes at home and bring them with me.

Then I add the potatoes, loose breakfast sausage, onions, green peppers (and whatever else you like) to the scrambled eggs. It all cooks in one pan and feeds the whole family. Not to mention we got some protein, carbs and veggies all in that one pan meal. Oh we also add cheese to it, the kids won't touch eggs without it.

I take 2 pots and a fry pan (skillet) camping. I usually do the real cooking ahead of time and take frozen soup to be reheated over the fire or frozen bolognaise to be reheated with the pasta to be cooked fresh. Cooking ahead saves all the prep at the camp ground.

Otherwise we would have sausages and mashed potatoes. Very little prep, 1 pot, 1 pan, easy.

For snacks take your standard stuff, whatever you would have at home, cookies, slice etc. For breakfast depending on refrigeration you might want to go with cereal & long life milk or stick to toast & eggs on the skillet.

Gotta go will try come back later with some more ideas :)

I'd offer suggestions, but the group I camp with bring a 3-burner propane stove, a largish 2-burner propane stove, and a little 2-burner propane stove (used just to heat water mostly), a carport tent to house the kitchen, a smaller shade pop-up to house the dish washing area, and oh, yeah, a ton of bricks so they can build an oven (though that last is getting re-thought for the upcoming events; too heavy!)

We tend to have one skewer-and-scorch night; otherwise the fire pit is just for keeping warm after the sun goes down until we retire to our (typically huge) tents, most of which have heaters in them...

What can I say? I don't camp like a boy scout.:lol:

I saw the most BRILLIANT idea on a blog. I have not done it yet but I guarantee that I will next summer.

The recipe is called Walking Tacos. Before the trip, fully cook the taco meat. Cut up and bring tomatoes, onions, cheese, etc. Bring a single serving size bag of Fritos for each camper. At the campsite, warm up the meat. Have each camper mildly crush the Fritos, then open the bag and add the rest of the taco ingredients. The kids can eat the tacos out of their bags with a spoon. How fun is that?!?

In terms of storing meat, I keep it in a cooler full of ice for no more than a day or two. if the trip is longer, we go to a store and buy the day we need it. I try to precook things like tacos, chili, pasta sauces, etc, so it only needs to be warmed up. I do not like the risk of hoping that raw meat has been thoroughly cooked over a campfire.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how do you store meat at the right temperature for food safety? It sounds like a lot of people are doing things with meat.... I'd love to get some tips! (We've used shelf-stable bacon, but that is about it, meat-wise.)

We keep it in coolers, adding ice as necessary. We usually have a dedicated meat cooler, which reduces how often it gets opened. Any meat not already cooked is kept vacuum-sealed in desired portions until ready to use, and we start out with all of it frozen. When camping for a full week, someone will usually bring some of the meat in mid-week.

Some meat gets cooked ahead; brats, for example, get parboiled then they can just be grilled over the fire to heat them up.

We usually aren't serious enough campers to not be able to find an electrical cord... so next time I'm gonna have one of the coolers that are like a small fridge... I hate it when the ice starts to melt... ick!

My husband's treats for the kids are "fruit pies"... which are white bread with canned fruit. They are grilled in these little "pie" cast iron things..

And, smores, of course:-)

Weiner bean pot is a camping favorite for us... And Hobo Dinner....(for them...)

Carrie

Poy (like "boy") plus "Key" (as in the thing you open locks with).

Bill

Whoa. I was way off. Thanks.

I find the idea of raw ingredient storage daunting in a camping type situation, not the cooking itself. These ideas are interesting.

I do like the taste of biscuits made on a campfire. Gives them a nice taste.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but how do you store meat at the right temperature for food safety? It sounds like a lot of people are doing things with meat.... I'd love to get some tips! (We've used shelf-stable bacon, but that is about it, meat-wise.)

for backpacking, we're placing the cracked, uncooked eggs and sliced, cooked sausage inside a trio of ziploc bags and freezing the bag in a container of water: it will literally be inside a big ice cube. we'll use the thawed water for cleanup. The Big Cube of Food will be taken out of the deep freeze Friday morning, wrapped in newspaper, and placed at the bottom of the cooler. It will remain in the closed cooler all day Friday and Friday night, and will be placed in the backpack [wrapped] Saturday morning. At lunch we'll unwrap it and let the container start thawing[forecast for this weekend is 80's and sunny -yay!]. If it's not thawed by dinnertime, we'll start applying some low heat.

i prefer to use large chunks of ice [freezing water in big rectangular containers] to reduce the surface area [and melting time]. You can also use small amounts of dry ice to keep the regular ice frozen longer. I tend to freeze as much as i can the night before we leave [hot dogs work especially well for this!].

but honestly? i mostly don't worry about "proper" food storage temps anyway. ;)

For those near a "Trader Joes" there is a Corned Beef Hash (from Brasil) that is packed in an aseptic foil pouch (and packaged inside a thin box) that doesn't need refrigeration that makes a fine breakfast meal on that final morning of camping when the ice has melted, but you still want something that seems "camp-style".

It is pretty tasty.

Bill