Menu

Vegetarian Cookbook Recommendations

I'm looking for a good vegetarian cookbook that would contain dishes that utilize easy to find ingredients.

We love all types of food from Thai to Italian to Middle Eastern, but I don't want to be hunting for that one impossible to find ingredient. We are not at all picky eaters and have no food allergies.

Illustrations of the dishes are nice but not a must.

Any suggestions?

I like Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine; it has a nice variety of interesting all-vegetarian dishes, from crackers and breads to quiches, soups, desserts, etc. Some of them are a bit too "whole" food-y for me, lol, but I can easily use part white flour for all WW, or similar. It also tells you whether something is a major or minor protien, so you can balance your diet pretty easily too. I don't know, though, if it's still in print--my copy is an older one. :D

ETA: I checked--it's still in print, and available at amazon for $15. :)

Edited by Caitilin

Anything with the word "Moosewood" on it! We have several and the recipes are yummy, easy, usually less than an hour, and I can make most of them with what I carry on hand. The one I use most is Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites

My favorite book is "The Passionate Vegetarian" by Crescent Dragonwagon, but it is the opposite of what you are looking for. Long complicated recipes with odd ingredients... but when the food goes into your mouth.... oh my! Every recipe has been worth it. Mmmmmmmmm!

"Great Vegetarian Dishes," Karma dasa and "Quick Vegetarian Dishes" Karma dasa

Both of these are great cook books. Some of the ingredients may seem a bit exotic but are usually available in the grocery store or you can substitute. The author is Harri Krishna so there isn't any garlic in the recipes, I add where appropriate.

Also "A diet for a New World" and "A diet for a New America" by Robbins are both very good.

Lately, I have been loving Vegan Soul Kitchen. Super fun, fairly simple, and very tasty. (I made a Butternut Squash Pear Soup from this book this past week, and it was absolutely fabulous!)

I agree with anything from Moosewood. My favorite is Simple Suppers. Very easy meals, most made with things you already have in your pantry/fridge (and includes tips on stocking your pantry to be able to make quick meals). And in general I think the recipes are good for people who may not be used to vegetarian meals.

Finally, I love Vegan Lunch Box, and the new Vegan Lunch Box Around the World. (You can see her blog here.) I've made lots of her recipes, and they've always turned out great. And there are some really fun ideas for themed meals.

My favourite book is Meals Without Meat. All the recipes are down to earth and they all work (I hate recipe books where I follow the instrucitons exaclty and they dont turn out well). Whenever I find a copy 2nd hand I buy it so I can give it to a struggling vegetarian.

It is written by a New Zealander. I dont know if it is available in the U.S.

My Aunt gave me A year in a Vegetarian Kitchen last year for Christmas. I just love it! I also do a lot from Simply in Season. Another one that has some great recipes is Farm to Table. It includes some meat eater ones, but not many.

And another vote for Moosewood. I've enjoyed almost everything from those.