Menu

What does your 9th grader's day look like?

We're doing 6 subjects as semester courses, and the rest all year. We're cramming a whole year's course into each of those semester courses as this works better for dd. So the fall course load is:

Semester courses:

Geometry

Chemistry with lab

Logic

All year: German, Latin, PE, Vocab

Starting in Feb the semester courses will be:

English

History

Art.

So, for Language arts, vocab is all year, but we'll be doing R&S English as we're going to go heavier on the grammar since dd hates literary analysis. We'll also do WordSmith and some literature aka WEM style, but modified ala Nan in Mass's suggestions and some other things. My dd hates essays vehemently, so we're going to make essay writing its own subsubject and so some for history as well. We'll do literary analysis with short answer questions (well, the answers will take one sentence up to a paragraph.) I should note that dd is far more interested in science & math than in English or history. Essay writing & research papers will be nailed before she graduates, of course, but we'll choose a less stressful time of her life than the year she is 14 (and perhaps 15).

Well, I'm floundering a bit in the English/LA department. I might skip it this year since it seems to be subsumed into Lit and Latin.

His work load is shaping up thus:

Algebra II

Latin I (this is a class he attends. The teacher really teaches grammar in great depth.)

Literature - reading Ancient works using study guides - he keeps a notebook where he answers study guide questions and writes a couple of short essays a week.

History -Ancients (using SWB's book) - he's going to be writing a research paper in the spring.

Earth Science

Scripture study

Socratic Discussion Group

PE

We are having trouble getting a comp course started so I'm thinking we put that off until next year. In the meantime he's still getting lots of grammar and vocab through the Latin class; short essays and research paper via Lit and History. The Socratic Discussion teaches teaches analysis, reasoning and oral skills.

Younger DS 9th Grade:

This son struggles with spelling, writing and abstract math; has never been very interested in school; is not self-motivated with schooling (but since about 7th/8th grade, but has been slowly growing able to work independently in some areas for short periods of time. (yea!)

English (1.0 credit) ~ 7-8 hr/week (including reading time)

1. Literature = Lightning Lit. 8 (3 poetry units; 3 short stories; 1 novella; 5 novels) = 3-3.5 hr./week

- Read aloud/discuss together = 30 min./day; 4 days/week

- Did worksheets on own = 10-20 min./day = 3 days/week

- Did just a few of longer writing assignments, in place of writing below (30 min./day; 4 days/week)

2. Grammar = 45 min./week

- Winston Advanced (review) = 5-8 min./day; 3 days/week

- Chortling Bard (grammar mechanics; editing; grammar review) = 5-8 min./day; 3 days/week

3. Writing = 30-40 min./day; 4 days/week

- read thru/used parts of Cut the Deck writing program

- 4 longer papers (3-6 pages) with citations (1 per quarter)

- 4 outlines/reports prepared for Public Speaking class (2 per semester)

- several 1-3 paragraph written responses to literature (1 per novel/longer work)

- weekly timed essay from past SAT prompts (only writing done on that day; did about 28 in the year)

4. Spelling = Megawords; individualized remedial practice = 10-15 min./day; 4 days/week

(5. Vocabulary = nothing formal -- from literature and spelling)

Math (1.0 credit) = Jacobs Algebra (40-50 min./day; 4-5 days/week)

Logic (1.0 credit) = with DH (45 min./day; 1 day/week)

Science (1.0 credit) 0.5 = Apologia Biology; 0.5 = Anatomy (2 hr/day; 2 days/week)

History: 20th Century World (1.0 credit) = (2-2.5 hr/day; 2 days/week)

Elective: The Great Books (1.0 credit) = (1 hr/day; 4 days/week)

PE (0.5 credit) = 2 hr/week

Extracurricular:

- 10 90-min. classes = Public Speaking class

- 1/month = homeschool group Student Council meeting

- 1/month = homeschool group social activity

- 1/week = evening church youth group

- 5 days/week for 10 weeks in spring = public school tennis team

Older DS 9th Grade:

English (1.0 credit) ~ 8 hr/week (including reading time)

1. Literature = Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (3 poetry units; 3 short stories; 1 novella; 5 novels) = 4-5 hr/week

- Read aloud/discuss together; did not do the worksheets or writing assignments.

- 1-1.5 hr./day; 4 days/week

2. Grammar = 45 min./week

- Winston Advanced (review) = 5-8 min./day; 3 days/week

- Chortling Bard (grammar mechanics; editing; grammar review) = 5-8 min./day; 3 days/week

3. Writing = 30-40 min./day; 4 days/week

- read thru/used parts of Put That in Writing 1 writing program

- 4 longer papers (3-6 pages) with citations (1 per quarter)

- 6 shorter (3-5 paragraph) papers (about 1 per 6 weeks)

- several 1-3 paragraph written responses to literature (1 per novel or longer work)

- weekly timed essay from past SAT prompts (only writing done on that day; did about 28 in the year)

4. Spelling/Vocabulary = individualized (to review spelling patterns and learn new vocabulary = 10-15 min./day; 4 days/week

Math (1.0 credit) = Jacobs Geometry = 40-50 min./day; 4-5 days/week

Logic (1.0 credit) = with DH = 45 min./day; 1 day/week)

Science (0.5 credit) = Apologia Biology = 2 hr/day; 2 days/week)

History: Ancient World (1.0 credit) = (2-2.5 hr/day; 2 days/week)

Elective: The Great Books (1.0 credit) = (1 hr/day; 4 days/week)

PE (0.5 credit) = 2 hr/week

Extracurricular:

- 1/month = homeschool group Student Council meeting

- 1/month = homeschool group social activity

- 1/week for 1 semester = Youth & Gov't meeting; at end = 3 full days mock legislative sessions

- 1/week = evening church youth group

Edited by Lori D.
fixed typos

6am get up and read literature for about an hour, then vocab & grammar for about 30 minutes. About once or twice a week we get together and discuss the literature and watch videos from Teaching Company on the selected readings.

7:30 history reading (Spielvogel)

8am chores and hygiene

9am PE

9:45 math (Geometry-Chalkdust video or assignment)

11 music (video theory lecture or electric guitar practice)

12 lunch/walk

1 Biology (Exploring Life)- labs on Thursdays

2 Rhetoric (Argumentation video and Art of Argument book, writing)

3 Teatime (current events, philosophy, SAT prep question)

4 Spanish

5pm Writing for history, science, or rhetoric or any other homework that didn't get completed during the day.

He usually finishes around 6.

Edited by Mad Jenny Flint
forgot Spanish

Hi Mad Jenny Flint! I am just curious but do you really have your 9th grader working 12 hours a day? I am just wondering how that's working out. I can't imagine doing that with my own kids, mostly because they would rebel hugely! But I'm curious about how you manage it.

Hi Mad Jenny Flint! I am just curious but do you really have your 9th grader working 12 hours a day? I am just wondering how that's working out. I can't imagine doing that with my own kids, mostly because they would rebel hugely! But I'm curious about how you manage it.

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have an exceptionally compliant child?

My 9th grader's load:

one chapter each week from Holt Biology along with a lab (mostly the paper labs right now) and questions from OM syllabus

one chapter section each day from Jacobs Geometry (but I split some over two days)

one week each week from Fix-It Grammar: The King and the Discommodious Pea

one section each week from The Least You Should Know About English Grammar (generally a few pages to read along with 5 exercise sets)

one chapter each week from Glencoe American Vision along with questions and a project from OM syllabus

one lesson each week from Jill Pike's lesson plans for Windows to the World

one lesson each week from US History-based Writing Lessons volume 2

10 minutes, 3x/week working on Spanish with Easy Spanish Step-by-step

one chapter each week from Holt Lifetime Health along with test from OM Health syllabus

gymnastics and other exercise for p.e.

assigned novels

She will finish Health at the end of this semester and will most likely do OM Photography next semester.

credits at the end of this schoolyear should be:

1 US History

1 English I

1 Geometry

1 Biology

1 P.E.

0.5 Health

0.5 Photography (probably)

Spanish is strictly for exposure, not credit. She'll take Spanish at the cc when she's able to start taking dual credit classes in 11th grade.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Early morning religion class M-F at church (6:30-7:20 am)

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

Key to Algebra (along with Key to Tracker)

Analytical Grammar (Should complete Season one and two this year)

First Form Latin

BJU Biology

I want her to do more, but I have to take a couple of things into account. 1)She has been in treatment for depression for 1 1/2 years. She deals with insomnia and feels very tired during the day. It can make it hard for her to think clearly.

2)Due to her early morning religion class, she recently switched from waking up at noon to getting up at 5:30a.m. This has added to her fatigue and muddled thinking.

She'll participate in NaNoWriMo during November. Last year she wrote 20,000+ words. I'm very proud of her! A few years ago she cried when asked to write a paragraph.

We might not be rigorous but dd is making progress. I'm thankful that she tries and still loves to learn.

Chalkdust Algebra

Apologia Biology

R&S English 9

Wheelocks Latin (plan to finish half the book this year)

IEW U.S. History Based Writing (2 lessons/week)

Agriscience from CLE - (This was his choice for a fun elective.)

Reading from the 7th grade WTM list (He isn't ready for rhetoric stage great books, so we are selecting the more advanced books from this list. Perhaps mid-year we'll be able to jump to the rhetoric stage lists. We'll see.)

U.S. History - one hour/day (using the U.S. history book recommended for rhetoric stage U.S. history in WTM, 3rd ed. -- I can't remember the name just now, but it's very nice. Besides being a beautiful text, it has online quizzes.)

Traditional Logic

Jensen's Punctuation

Edited by Luann in ID

I was thinking about this this morning. Obviously, I am not MJF :D, but in her 12 hour schedule she has 1 hour for breakfast/chores, 1 hour for lunch and 1 hour for tea time . If you take those out of the picture, you are left with a 9 hour day. This is still less than PS where kids have school from 8 to 3, then 3-4 hours of home work every day. Never mind a 30 min bus ride both ways.

Biology- about an hour to read through section and answer questions. Then quarterly we take a week off and do experiments all week instead.

Computer Lit- online course, about 30-45 mins reading through info and doing assignments and tests

Algebra 1- chalkdust- I give dd 2 days for each lesson, and 1 day for reviews and tests. First day is watching the video and doing practice. Second day is doing 25-35 problems

Language Arts-

Spelling- dd is behind in spelling, we do 10-15 mins daily working on that,

Writing- CW Diogenes Maxim takes about 30-45 mins a day,

Analytical Grammar- she wants to do all three seasons in a year, so daily she does about 30 mins working on one lesson

Literture is tied into history

History and Geography

Geography- taking a geography class at an enrichment program

American History- reading History of US- reads one book in a week, about 50 pages a day, then write a research paper each semester.

Historical Fiction- reading 12 books over the year after the History of US book for the timeframe, then writes a summary and evaluation

Great Books- we chose 12 great books that we are reading together and discussing

German- 30 mins on Rosetta Stone

Art- taking a class at an enrichment program, and works on the projects a little each day.

English - including literature, speech/rhetoric, grammar - 5 x wk = 1 credit

Advanced comp - online class = 1 credit

Geometry + Swiss math + start Alg II = 1 credit

Advanced French = 1 credit

Intro German = 1/4 credit

Chemistry with lab = 1 credit

World Geography = 1/2 credit

American Gov = 1/2 credit

World History = 1 credit

Fine Arts = 1/4 credit

Typing = 1/4 credit

Hi Jean,

I think you have a point, however, a lot of that time at public school is not directly focused on academics but more logistics. I mean that's one way homeschooling is more efficient, supposedly. Also teatime seemed to still be time to cover schoolish stuff. And chores are still something that a kid wouldn't necessarily WANT to do, so it isn't like free time. And for the PS'ers, the ride on the bus also is not academic time either. I also really question the 3-4 hour homework. My kids have friends in PS and they seem to get a lot of that homework done during study hall and never seem to have that much to do at home, UNLESS they have a test or a paper due. Then yes, it might mean 3-4 hours.

But I wasn't really criticizing, just kind of boggled by the idea. It is way, way beyond our capabilities and would definitely lead to tension and burn out in my particular family. But to each his own. My dh doesn't usually work a 12 hour day, you know and he works a lot! He usually leaves here around 9:30 a.m. and gets home around 8. And that's including drive time back and forth (about 30 to 40 minutes).

The post really made me wonder about what my own 9th grader does and I think we are more in the 6 to 7 hours a day of focused academic work. He tends to do things in blocks, except for Algebra which happens 5x a week (M-Th and then a lesson done over the weekend with his dad). But the front end of the week is loaded up with Latin and the end of week tends to focus on science and lit. We are probably on the slow side too, so maybe thinking about this will get me to tighten up a bit.

Hi Jean,

I think you have a point, however, a lot of that time at public school is not directly focused on academics but more logistics. I mean that's one way homeschooling is more efficient, supposedly. Also teatime seemed to still be time to cover schoolish stuff. And chores are still something that a kid wouldn't necessarily WANT to do, so it isn't like free time. And for the PS'ers, the ride on the bus also is not academic time either. I also really question the 3-4 hour homework. My kids have friends in PS and they seem to get a lot of that homework done during study hall and never seem to have that much to do at home, UNLESS they have a test or a paper due. Then yes, it might mean 3-4 hours.

But I wasn't really criticizing, just kind of boggled by the idea. It is way, way beyond our capabilities and would definitely lead to tension and burn out in my particular family. But to each his own. My dh doesn't usually work a 12 hour day, you know and he works a lot! He usually leaves here around 9:30 a.m. and gets home around 8. And that's including drive time back and forth (about 30 to 40 minutes).

The post really made me wonder about what my own 9th grader does and I think we are more in the 6 to 7 hours a day of focused academic work. He tends to do things in blocks, except for Algebra which happens 5x a week (M-Th and then a lesson done over the weekend with his dad). But the front end of the week is loaded up with Latin and the end of week tends to focus on science and lit. We are probably on the slow side too, so maybe thinking about this will get me to tighten up a bit.

I understand. I know my kids wouldn't be able to handle a 12 hour day here either. We are probably more in the 5-7 hour day at the most and I am fine with it. I can see how her day looks like a lot but I still think it really isn't that different from most highschoolers and if it is working well for them than more power to them.

We are probably more in the 5-7 hour day at the most and I am fine with it.

Same here. We work about 5.5 hours a day SOLID (8:45-9am to 3-3:30pm), other than a 45-60 min. lunch break. PE is worked in after school in the afternoon or on weekends.

I'm still very involved in the school day between heavily one-on-one tutoring one son thru Algebra, then reading/discussing lit., history and science together, trying to grade/schedule/go over writing. That 5.5 hours is a FULL day for me, and if I'm toasted at the end of it, I cannot *imagine* expecting more schooling from the boys who are actually having to DO the work!

I remember looking at the logic stage "schedule" in the WTM -- 40 solid hours a week -- and thinking, "Please, these are kids we're talking about -- how do they have time to relax, develop interests/gifts/talents, follow their dreams, learn how to "be still and know that I am God", and just BE part of our family if school is a full-time job?" I think the push to work overtime is a bad tendency in our country's work "ethic" that has slopped over into our parenting ideas, too -- that kids must have every minute scheduled and we have to wring every activity possible out of them (cram into them??).

Sorry -- just my little off-topic rant. (Not at all meant for you, Quiver!) :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Yes, our day runs for about 12 hrs., but like Quiver pointed out, we do have those nice hour-long breaks in between. Plus, sometimes subjects get switched around a bit, depending on the work load. We have LONG days, and the kids know it and sometimes comment on it, but we also have those lovely breaks, and they are what make our homeschool what it is. I try to make the slots for each subject ample for what we are doing, and if one subject goes over a bit, we can usually slide that into another subject that has taken less time. Overall, it feels like a leisurely day, but we are getting a lot done.

We are all tired at the end of the day. My 5th grader keeps basically the same schedule, except that she gets up at 7, usually finishes around 4:30 or 5, and I work a lot more with her one-on-one.

And, the other bonus to our schedule is that Fridays are a light day, when we catch up from the big assignments for the week and only do a couple of main subjects, like math and literature. Field trips and casual (social) group activities also happen on Fridays. I have offered to make the schedule a bit "easier" M-Th in exchange for more time on Fridays but the kids always refuse.

It is a bit draconian. I admit it. But the kids have been sufficiently indoctrinated to my way of thinking about their education and they know they are getting a quality education mixed with some great family time. I have also prepared my son that he will likely have some things on the weekends from time to time (after all, this is high school) but, so far all he has had was a little lit. reading on one weekend. We both know this can change, but they get tons of down-time on the weekend. They get a lot more down time than I do!

Also, let me share this: we are a very close-knit family, and we do a lot of laughing. A LOT of laughing. Overall, our school day is FUN. We enjoy each other, and they (mostly) see the purpose for their work. I don't assign busy work, I assign work for content and skill development. I don't pick everything that they do to shreds. They understand that they need to learn this stuff, whether they particularly like an assignment or not. They are on-board with what we do. We have had years in the past where school was done in solid blocks and it was miserable. We were racing to the finish, trying to get done with the day. Now, we take our time a bit more, and the breaks we have are there to get the blood moving and shift gears to be ready and fresh for the next class/assignment. There are moments for digression during the day. There are moments to wonder and laugh and there are moments for gratitude. This is how I want my kids to remember their homeschool experience. Outside of homeschool, my kids have one major extracurricular each (ds 14 4H; dd 10 community theatre). And, they each have at least one hobby they are developing on their own. They are not overscheduled. But, I am the one in charge of the schedule for the school day, and I consult with them all along the way as I develop it. I consult with ds a lot about curriculum and about structuring of coursework. I tweak a lot.

It's a great rhythm we have during the week, but we do look forward to Fridays!

Edited by Mad Jenny Flint
Saw Lori D's post and wondered if she meant me.

Monday:

Algebra 1 (finishing up)(Jacobs/Alg. 1 a Fresh Approach)

Geometry (just beginning) (MUS)

Civics/American Government (fall)(variety)

Conceptual Physics (final readings, review/computation questions, lab familiarization)

Drama practice (co-op)

*This is the day we finalize our co-op assignments

Tuesday: Co-op and Boy Scouts

Wednesday:

Algebra 1

Geometry

Grammar/English 9 (IEW, MCT, Jensen's)

Civics/American Government (fall)

Physics

Starting Points

Thursday:

Algebra 1

Geometry

Starting Points

English 9

*works in the afternoon

Friday:

Algebra 1

Geometry

English 9

Starting Points

Civics/American Government (fall)

Physics

Beginning in the spring semester he will be done with American Govt. and drama and begin Great Books Literature (modern) and Art (history & projects in co-op).

Hi Jenny!

I wasn't criticizing you. Probably in my head I felt a tiny, tiny bit defensive because I don't do nearly as much. It does sound like your kids are willing to take more direction from you than mine are. Mine are, shall we say, free spirits. Or often I refer to it as herding cats! Also, I don't think I personally would have the stamina to be directing others in such detail all day long. I'd burn out. Also, I realize I have more kids than you do, so I have to divide up my time a bit more. When we do our academic work, a lot of it is still one on one. And we also do lots of outside activities every week.

But we do have to have a lot of free time around here. That's just our style. I am half classical, half unschooling so I find that free time is wonderfully valuable as it lets them develop on their own. They do a lot of delight directed/independent learning on their own time. I have two kids who spend hours on their own playing musical instruments. I have a couple of kids who spend hours doing gymnastics. I have one child that will go through periods where he creates the most wonderful little animations on his own. He submerges himself in it for days on end. I am glad to give him the freedom to do that. Another child will choose to spend hours reading. They spend hours and hours playing and teaching themselves so much through it. It absolutely delights my heart when I see them doing these wonderful things and blossoming on their own. I couldn't bear to take that away from them. And their love for learning definitely diminishes the more I micro-manage it. But everybody really is different. We are each of us on different places of the learning spectrum. And I truly believe that everyone has to find the groove that works for them. So I salute you! I just stand in awe.

P.S. I am almost ashamed to admit it but our Fridays are light too!

She also has 5 kids but all of them are still at home. Sometimes I envy their ability to be as loose as they seem to be with things. However, I really feel that it is more a difference in the demands of living with more or less kids. It may not seem like it, but my kids also have their own activities and interests and they are self-directed, as well. They enjoy their free time. Yes, they have *less* open, self-directed time Monday thru Thursday, than on Fri-Sun, but they are not "over-scheduled."

I agree strongly with you that each family has to find a path, and my children (and I) enjoy having more structure and predictability to the day. This schedule has evolved over 10 years of schooling them at home. When we are looser with the schedule, we have found we don't get as much work done across the board- but that is just us, and I realize that the "schedule does not the rigorous program make" for everyone.

I also have an accredited home school program, which creates a bit more demand for record-keeping and structured time, so that I can keep track of what we are doing day to day. That also helps me for grades, coursework, and transcripts. This is part of the reason we do things as we do, but it doesn't explain the whole picture.

It is hard on me to manage the schedule sometimes. I do get tired. I have to do a lot of reminding, particularly for my younger dd. Ds is very self-motivated and has taught himself to consult the schedule and move to the next thing. I am talking to him a lot more lately about "taking ownership" of his work and his day... and yes, he is very laid-back and easy to work with. Just a joy. My daughter gives me a little bit more difficulty sometimes, but she loves school, so that helps.

DS is young, but a very strong student... so 9th grade is probably the best fit for what to call what we do, but it might be different from others' 9th grades for any number of reasons....

Daily (M-Th):

Biology (1 hour - read chapter, short writing assignments, labs or quizzes)

Geometry and Mathematical Logic (1 hour)

Latin (30 minutes)

History (1 hour independent research and writing)

Literature (1 hour reading, sometimes more, plus frequent discussion and/or writing)

Spanish (1 hour)

Then he has approximately 2 hours a day of outside stuff (classes and/or homework for same) including his flute practice. I also have 30 minutes set aside for "homework" -- like the last two geometry problems he didn't get done before lunch, or the 7 more pages of reading he still had to do at the end of his hour but we needed to head out the door.... that sort of thing. Phys Ed is scattered in there - rock climbing, family walks, hiking, swimming, tennis, shooting some hoops, etc. - but I don't count any of that for credit.

Fridays are Project Days, and other than Biology he gets the day off his regular work. That's the day for the science fair project, or for spending more time on his flute, or getting some extra time in on history research (like if we need to drive across town to the university library for something he can't get on our usual rounds...) Also for computer programming, cooking projects, maybe watching a good movie, and free reading time. Almost anything that can be justified as educational. Also test prep for anything that's coming up -- studying for any approaching curricular tests, or doing a run through an ACT section or whatever.

Like Mad Jenny Flint said, our days are long, but they're fun... Mornings are accompanied by a pot of tea (used to be cocoa when he was younger... *sniff*), and I always schedule outside things for the end of the day when we've had our long unhurried block of work time and we're ready for a change of pace. I'm not good at changing gears myself, so the long day is probably less a matter of getting a lot done and more a matter of knowing we have enough time not to rush.

Thanks everyone. I am still unsure on a couple of things, but here is the tentative plan:

Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra (he is weak in math and will likely take until Sr. Year to get through it all)- daily

Science- Apologia Physical Science - daily. Will also use "Science Roots" to expand on the "Vocabulary Vine" we are using this year.

Literature- novels with Progeny Press guides, a lit text (BJU or Abeka?) to cover some short stories- 1 or 2 x a week

Grammar- not sure, I don't think we need something daily

Writing- will do weekly writing assignments perhaps an essay a week on various reading related subjects.

Spelling- continue with Spelling Power Monday to Thursday

Vocabulary- not sure if we'll continue with Wordly Wise or just do vocabulary that is in literature study guides.

History- undecided if I want to start with American History or go with World History using Notgrass or Winter Promise

Geography- 2 -3 x week either U.S. or World depending on what to do for History

Latin- an intro course, not sure what to use

P.E.- he plays baseball, ropes and rides and is generally active. Is this enough or should he be tested on rules of sports etc? He knows the rules of baseball inside and out since he has played since T-ball.

Boys Scouts- his goal is Eagle Scout

I understand. I know my kids wouldn't be able to handle a 12 hour day here either. We are probably more in the 5-7 hour day at the most and I am fine with it. I can see how her day looks like a lot but I still think it really isn't that different from most highschoolers and if it is working well for them than more power to them.

Me too.

I completely saw that as realistic and doable.

Our light day is Thursday - we are hardly home at all that day.

Also I view current events and music as not academic. To us those are scheduled fun and conversation.

So removing those times from the "school" day makes it seem like a much lighter day to me than 12 hours of sweating over school books. ;)

Here's my dd's 9th grade load:

Classical Writing - Diogenes Maxim/Crea online class

(w/Harvey's Grammar, and Literature - includes some great books)

Biology - outside class 2 hrs, 1x/wk

Art (Drawing) outside class - 1x/wk

finishing Basic College Math, then Algebra

Ancient History via WTM w/History of the Ancient World

some Great Books via WTM, some lighter literature just for reading

finishing Apples Daily Spelling Drills, switching to Megawords 3

--hoping to start these soon ---

Word Roots sw from Critical Thinking press

Test Prep (options include: Editor in Chief, SAT question of day, Word Roots sw, reading detectice sw, calculadders, etc.)

Thinking Toolbox

Rosetta Stone: German and Polish

she is also on a soccer team (hmm that's PE)

hth,

Kathie

My son gets up early on his own at 5:00 or 5:30. (His idea, not mine)

He reads his Bible, then he has:

Algebra I (he's about 3/4 of the way through Chicago Math, he should be in Geometry now, but our move threw a wrench in that plan)

Biology

Great Books (through Schola tutorials, I'm told this should count for about 2.5 credits. I don't think he's currently doing enough work to count for that, but I need to talk to the instructor again)

Latin I (Wheelock's)

PE

Religion/Christian Living/Church History (haven't decided what to call it yet, but he's reading everything from Christian biographies to doctrine. I'll figure that out later.)

R&S Grammar (8th grade). We dropped this last year because of his work load, but I want him to finish R&S through 8th grade.

Dd

M-F 8:30 -3:30 This is an average day with 30 minutes for lunch. Homework occasionally takes her past 3:30.

Health 1/2 credit 1st semester. Speech 2nd semester

World History

Physical Science

Algebra

English

Art

PE

She volunteers at the library and takes classes in art, but those aren't scheduled during school hours.

I have a 9th grader (sort of) this year. This is what a typical day for him looks like. When we've gotten the French stuff speeded up, we'll add back in a bit of Latin (we're mosying through Ecce Romani 3) and some sight singing. He's still getting over the shock of doing French every day, though, and I can't deal with the complaints about singing with a changing voice (he sounds gruff now when he used to sound beautifully clear) and the amount of hard work Latin is, for both of us. Anyway...

At quarter of seven we shake him and tell him to wake up. He grumbles, rolls over, and doesn't. At seven, we tell him he is supposed to be doing his math now. He throws on his clothes, grabs his book, and we go over his math homework. Then I read him his lesson, work the example problems out on paper for him, talking all the time, quickly scan the problems, and assign some for homework. This takes until about 8:30. By then he is hungry. He makes breakfast and eats it in front of his computer. Fifteen or twenty minutes later we do French and history. His French book is a 6th grade French child's "English" book and his history book is a 6th grade French history and geography book. These are hard work for us both. I look at whatever he wrote the night before, recopy it in (hopefully) correct French, and give it to him to recopy again for homework. The I read a spread aloud to him, he answers the questions orally, and I assign a little writing. Both books take about an hour and a half, but I'm fairly sure that this will speed up after a bit and leave us the extra half hour for Latin. Then we read literature aloud together for an hour (or discuss it or do research or he does an historical context a la TWEM). Then he has lunch. Then Mon. and Tues. we read geometry (or he works on the problems), or Thurs. or Friday he does some sort of technical stuff on his own (currently exploring a computer programming language dealing with music). Then he does MODG Natural History syllabus. This involves reading, then going outside to draw something in his nature journal then looking it up on the internet and writing a few sentences about it in his journal. Then he plays piano for half an hour. Then it is two and he is done. He plays computer games for an hour. Then he does his French homework and gets ready for gymnastics. He eats supper in the car on the way. When he gets home from gym, he does about an hour of math problems, then climbs into bed and reads a little and goes to sleep. Wed.s he goes to my father's after noon and works on technical stuff with him. Fridays, we go get his friends and they go off and play D+D type games. Weekends, he has extra reading and writing to do. This year is rather light on writing in English, but I've done that deliberately because he is learning to write in French. He will write about each book we read for literature. Sometime this year, we will suspend literature for awhile and work on writing from several sources and get the research librarian to show us how to use the library for research (I hope). Output: 1 to 5 pages of math (depending on how much writing is needed for each problem set), 1 page of nature journal, a third of a page of science or literature notes, half a page of French, and perhaps a bit of computer code or a page of geometry problems or science questions.

HTH

-Nan

my 9th grader ds15 is doing this;

Saxon algebra2

Abeka grammar and composition 1V

A rulebook for arguments

exploring creation with biology

exploring creation with physics

ten thumbs typing

Rosetta stone German

history of the ancient world along with spielvogel's western civilization

great books reading as recommended in WTM

that is all I can think of at the moment

What does your 9th graders day look like? Not schedule wise, but curriculum, work load wise? I am especially interested in Language Arts/English.

...but she has some pretty lofty goals, so we're going to see how it goes.

In addition to being on the High School swim team, which currently requires 3hrs/day in the pool, she has the following classes/activities:

Omnibus 3, Primary

Omnibus 3, Secondary (These are both on-line with VP, so they actually read all the books, and do a lot of writing.)

Composition 1 (with VP)

Latin II (Wheelocks) (with VP)

Geometry (High School)

Honors Biology (High School)

French 2/3 (High School) I call it 2/3 because it is her 2nd year, but she kind of skipped a year, and will be in French IV next year.

Art 3 (Oils and Sculpting, also at the High School)

She is also in her 9th year of piano.

Does that answer your question? She is getting extensive grammar with the Latin, and to some degree, the French. She is doing a lot of good writing with the Comp. class and the Omnibus. And of course, Literature is covered.

This schedule seems nuts to me. She literally dashes from 1 class to the next, and basically does homework until 9 or 10 at night. Then she is up at 5:30, to be in the pool by 6am. Her social life consists of the swim team, and seeing her friends at the high school when she's there for her classes. It seems to me she doesn't have enough down time. But she insists that she is having fun. And she does seem very happy. It will be nice when swim season is over, and she only has to be in the pool 1 1/2 hours/day, and won't feel so guilty about taking a day off. She also won't have to miss school for meets, and then make up her work.

HTH, Jackie

We're only starting up this week (we were waiting for lots of it to arrive and even if we weren't, family crisis' would have prevented us starting anyway) in the middle of October. :D She doesn't have a timed schedule right now because it throws her off if she doesn't stick to the times but she knows what she has to do each day.

LANGUAGE ARTS

Composition (I think this is really rough, but she organised it herself. She's sectioned off a file and is learning how to write different types of papers, writing up a few examples, then going onto the next type. She's also doing NaNoWriMo which involves writing a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. Well she is my little writer. :D)

She's also reading How to Read a Book. (:

MATHEMATICS

Lial's Beginning & Intermediate Algebra (One sub-chapter, 1.1 for example and all odd problems. Check answers and review problem areas.)

HISTORY

History of the Ancient World (As many notes as her brain can take then reading her notes from previous days back. She has a problem connecting things together so this helps her a lot even though she hates taking notes.)

SCIENCE

Biology for IGCSE (She
hates
this. She wants to get it so badly, but she's not a science person. This is probably the one that takes the longest each day.)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE

French (She does some vocab each day, and we're going to get a french grammar book recommended here on the hive soon but I can't remember the name of the top of my head.)

ELECTIVES

SAT Prep (She's working this in a few different ways - doing grammar studies, vocab, trying different techniques, practice tests, that kind of thing. I think she's insane since she's only a freshman but ah well. It won't go on her transcript though.)

Great Books (We'll attempt to start this in a few weeks time when things settle down. Lots of trips to the library ahead...)

Religions 101 (She's studying a book on different religions. She's got a thing about religions. Since she's an agnostic, I'll never understand that. xD)

Music (She's attempting to self-teach piano and guitar. If she does well, we'll give her credit and if not, no big loss.)

I hope that helps a little. :001_unsure: