Menu

Anyone else do a double take about this? Where do you ask for permission? Who has the authority to okay sending spacecraft spiraling into the moon in search of water? I am admittedly ignorant about such things, but I've seen no one question the wisdom of doing so. What do you think?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else do a double take about this? Where do you ask for permission? Who has the authority to okay sending spacecraft spiraling into the moon in search of water? I am admittedly ignorant about such things, but I've seen no one question the wisdom of doing so. What do you think?

I actually signed the permission slip. :lol:

I didn't think they'd go through with it. :D

The question of if it's safe came up on GMA this morning and apparently, the moon gets slammed with all kids of stuff regularly due to the lack of atmosphere.

They said there is talk of building a base up there, which is why they're hoping to find ice. If there's water, then they will have hydrogen and oxygen as well. i think that's what I heard. I might just be making that up.:D

They said there is talk of building a base up there, which is why they're hoping to find ice. If there's water, then they will have hydrogen and oxygen as well. i think that's what I heard. I might just be making that up.:D

You're not making it up. You heard it.

The question of if it's safe came up on GMA this morning and apparently, the moon gets slammed with all kids of stuff regularly due to the lack of atmosphere.

earth regularly gets hit with space debris too.

I sure hope that logic doesn't apply to bombing earth.

What would be the purpose of a moon base? Would we own it then? Like first to claim the new world or something?

If it's a race - I want America to win!

But really I'd rather everyone just leave our ocean-affecting nightlight alone entirely. :)

earth regularly gets hit with space debris too.

I sure hope that logic doesn't apply to bombing earth.

What would be the purpose of a moon base? Would we own it then? Like first to claim the new world or something?

If it's a race - I want America to win!

But really I'd rather everyone just leave our ocean-affecting nightlight alone entirely. :)

It is the first step on our way to Mars. I think the plan is that we would take off from the Moon. Please don't quoute me on the last part.

We heard it on CSpan on our way to the library today. Ds said, 'but won't that mess up the way the tides work?'

Amazing, my 8yo came up with an, imo, incredible and important question that I have yet to hear answered.

What audacity to chuck a bomb on something that effects the entire planet. Sometimes I just ...... there are no words that I can put on here and still be a Queen Bee, so I'll keep mum :glare:

We heard it on CSpan on our way to the library today. Ds said, 'but won't that mess up the way the tides work?'

Amazing, my 8yo came up with an, imo, incredible and important question that I have yet to hear answered.

What audacity to chuck a bomb on something that effects the entire planet. Sometimes I just ...... there are no words that I can put on here and still be a Queen Bee, so I'll keep mum :glare:

I couldn't agree more. We are rather arrogant. Humanity scares me.

It is the first step on our way to Mars. I think the plan is that we would take off from the Moon. Please don't quoute me on the last part.

I keep telling ds I'm shipping him to Mars someday (he'd make a fun astronaut). How about a homeschooling field trip.

Sorry, Gretchen, quoted you on the whole thing, it was the only my comments would make sense. :confused: Okay, maybe my comments still don't make sense.

(I'm so glad it's Friday)

I keep telling ds I'm shipping him to Mars someday (he'd make a fun astronaut). How about a homeschooling field trip.

Sorry, Gretchen, quoted you on the whole thing, it was the only my comments would make sense. :confused: Okay, maybe my comments still don't make sense.

I get words... brain mush Monday since, yes me.

Lol, this will be a decompression weekend, I think my head may've blown a gasket or two ;)

:lol::lol::lol: I heard that years and years ago. I am not sure that it is still true.;)

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

How could bombing the moon possibly affect the tides? The mass of the moon is 73,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. It's big enough that it's 382,500 miles away and it can lift trillions of pounds of water high enough to create tides on the earth.

You could explode every nuclear weapon ever created, every bomb ever made on the moon and it wouldn't do a darn thing. There's no atmosphere there to disturb, no ecosystem to destroy.

How could bombing the moon possibly affect the tides? The mass of the moon is 73,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms. It's big enough that it's 382,500 miles away and it can lift trillions of pounds of water high enough to create tides on the earth.

You could explode every nuclear weapon ever created, every bomb ever made on the moon and it wouldn't do a darn thing. There's no atmosphere there to disturb, no ecosystem to destroy.

You're absolutely right, the moon has nothing to do with our planet or the tides or anything of that sort. I will go flog my son immediately :)

Heck, now that I think about it, the moon is just a blight on the sky and puts out some of the worst light pollution. We SHOULD just nuke it out of existence. Thank you, I have seen the light.

You're absolutely right, the moon has nothing to do with our planet or the tides or anything of that sort. I will go flog my son immediately :)

King did not say the moon had nothing to do with our planet or the tides. He said that bombing the moon was not going to throw it out of its orbit or affect its gravitational pull. We blow up things here on earth all the time and we don't worry how it affects the orbit of our planet.

crickey.

You'll just have to forgive me for being less than thrilled with testing that theory.

King did not say the moon had nothing to do with our planet or the tides. He said that bombing the moon was not going to throw it out of its orbit or affect its gravitational pull. We blow up things here on earth all the time and we don't worry how it affects the orbit of our planet.

I don't think it'll be thrown out of orbit. Neither would I say it can't be damaged or polluted/contaminated.

Just saying bombing the moon seems like a less than neccessary scientific goal. :)

I don't think it'll be thrown out of orbit. Neither would I say it can't be damaged or polluted/contaminated.

But King wasn't answering your post and neither was I.

That's not to say it cannot be damaged but, again, we blow up stuff on our *own* planet all the time without a thought. Why is this different? eta: I'm just saying, these sound like emotional responses, not logical ones.

Just saying bombing the moon seems like a less than neccessary scientific goal. :)
Was going to the moon at all a *necessary* scientific goal? Is going to space a necessary scientific goal? Maybe not but I like my phone, digital cable, gps, weather information and the various ways of helping with my husband's work. Edited by Mrs Mungo

Your son asked a good question for a child. It's quite easy, however, to explain to him why nothing we do could affect the tides and thus assuage his fears.

But King wasn't answering your post and neither was I.

That's not to say it cannot be damaged but, again, we blow up stuff on our *own* planet all the time without a thought. Why is this different? eta: I'm just saying, these sound like emotional responses, not logical ones.

Was going to the moon at all a *necessary* scientific goal? Is going to space a necessary scientific goal? Maybe not but I like my phone, digital cable, gps, weather information and the various ways of helping with my husband's work.

We don't know where this might lead us. I can't help thinking about our early explorers. Can you image? We could still be thinking the world is flat without them. This is the next step for our modern day explorers.

Was going to the moon at all a *necessary* scientific goal? Is going to space a necessary scientific goal? Maybe not but I like my phone, digital cable, gps, weather information and the various ways of helping with my husband's work.

And don't forget "Tang" :D

Bill (who's not actually fond of Tang)

Let's just say in my youth the "space-man" in me felt compelled to drink my fair-share of Tang (despite the fact that it was vile and disgusting :D)

Bill :patriot:

lol Don't feel bad Bill, I was duped too and felt it was my duty as a Floridian to support the space program by drinking that nasty stuff! lol Although we also drank Kool-aid, ate Twinkies and Little Debbie "snack" cakes. Jeez, what was my mom thinking!! :tongue_smilie:

lol Don't feel bad Bill, I was duped too and felt it was my duty as a Floridian to support the space program by drinking that nasty stuff! lol Although we also drank Kool-aid, ate Twinkies and Little Debbie "snack" cakes. Jeez, what was my mom thinking!! :tongue_smilie:

You didn't really say "Kool-aid" did you???

That's the kiss of death for this thread :D

Bill

They didn't bomb the moon as in "to attack with bombs" but as in "to hit very hard." NASA rammed a spent rocket, followed by its shepherding rocket, into the south pole of the moon to see if ice was released on impact. The impact was no greater than what the moon normally experiences 3-4 times per month from meteors, comets, etc.; it was just aimed at an area of interest to researchers.

Three papers were recently published in the journal Science indicating the presence of water on the moon... a fascinating discovery considering that the moon was thought to be dry up until now. Some scientists appear to find the news desirable because it means that a research station could possibly be placed on the moon allowing us to then look more closely at the rest of our solar system (a much less costly proposition - both financially and environmentally, in the long run, than sending exploratory rockets from the earth's surface repeatedly). Others, like me, are just thrilled about what it could possibly teach us about the physical nature of our solar system as well as the discovery's potential for reigniting passion for scientific inquiry purely for knowledge's sake and not necessarily for any directly practical purpose.

They didn't bomb the moon as in "to attack with bombs" but as in "to hit very hard." NASA rammed a spent rocket, followed by its shepherding rocket, into the south pole of the moon to see if ice was released on impact. The impact was no greater than what the moon normally experiences 3-4 times per month from meteors, comets, etc.; it was just aimed at an area of interest to researchers.

Three papers were recently published in the journal Science indicating the presence of water on the moon... a fascinating discovery considering that the moon was thought to be dry up until now. Some scientists appear to find the news desirable because it means that a research station could possibly be placed on the moon allowing us to then look more closely at the rest of our solar system (a much less costly proposition - both financially and environmentally, in the long run, than sending exploratory rockets from the earth's surface repeatedly). Others, like me, are just thrilled about what it could possibly teach us about the physical nature of our solar system as well as the discovery's potential for reigniting passion for scientific inquiry purely for knowledge's sake and not necessarily for any directly practical purpose.

Oh sure. Use logic :D

Bill

Very cynical, but an interesting thought none the less.

In all seriousness, most of the "space-race" was a "proxy-war" of sorts between us and the Soviet Union, which showed how we could destroy the world a thousand times over, while they could only do it a hundred time.

Started out serious at least :D

Bill (in a silly mood today)