Menu

Can someone name some past Nobel Peace Prize Winners and their achievements?

Are you wondering about one in particular? I'm sure others are too, but that would be political, so of course it would not be posted here, right? :)

Just curious.

Nope....just curious. Question answered thanks! (I didn't have any tea yet and am very groggy....okay just my way of saying I was too lazy to do it myself.) I didn't think the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded based on politics. :001_smile:

ETA: I tried to delete the title of this thread, but it won't let me....anyway a mod can so it doesn't desend into chaos as is being suspected? It was probably poor (morning) judgement to even ask. Sorry.....

Nope....just curious. Question answered thanks! (I didn't have any tea yet and am very groggy....okay just my way of saying I was too lazy to do it myself.) I didn't think the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded based on politics. :001_smile:

ETA: I tried to delete the title of this thread, but it won't let me....anyway a mod can so it doesn't desend into chaos as is being suspected? It was probably poor (morning) judgement to even ask. Sorry.....

I saw a headline this morning that confused me, I thought you were wondering the same way I was, but came up with a creative way to ask.

Never mind :)

Yes, it's political. And for the record, I voted for today's winner and yet I'm still scratching my head. "Really? For what?"

:iagree:

I'm more than willing to admit that this was my feeling, too, this morning!!

I had to look up the reasoning behind the bequest and I'm still wondering why.

I can tell you the achievements of someone who didn't win once . . . :tongue_smilie:

At a school in Knoxville, Tn was a sweet kid and her 5th grade class had their own nominations for Nobel Peace Prize. She drew a picture of me and and convinced her classmates to vote for me. My pic hung in the hall for a whole week.

How did I earn this nomination? She never eats animals b/c they're her friends even when she really wants a hamburger and she has the prettiest pink shirt. Also she helps everyone get over their fights.

Everyone thought I was a contender but . . . I never heard from The Committee. Norway . . . what do they know!

Yes, it's political. And for the record, I voted for today's winner and yet I'm still scratching my head. "Really? For what?"

Apparently for "HOPE"-- guess it was good enough for many American voters, and good enough for the Nobel Peace Prize Committee.

Committee says president gives world’s people ‘hope for a better future’

'Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Jagland said.(Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland

"It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of hope." Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa.

ETA: I got these quotes from the lead article on MSNBC's website, but deleted the link in case it violated board rules.

Edited by Erica in PA

Well, Kissinger is the first person that comes to mind when I hear all the gasps surrounding Obama's award. Not that I have an opinion one way or another about Kissinger and his award. I just vaguely remember some of the same gasping about Kissinger.

Obama's Not the First Surprising Nobel Peace Prize Winner: Seven Controversial Recipients

In case the link is a no-no, it's a Newsweek: Wealth of Nations blurb and here's the list:

Elihu Root

Woodrow Wilson and Leon Bourgeois

Henry Kissinger

Menachem Begin, Yasir Arafat, Jimmy Carter

I'm off to find something else more gasp-worthy, in my own humble opinion. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Apiphobic

I can tell you the achievements of someone who didn't win once . . . :tongue_smilie:

At a school in Knoxville, Tn was a sweet kid and her 5th grade class had their own nominations for Nobel Peace Prize. She drew a picture of me and and convinced her classmates to vote for me. My pic hung in the hall for a whole week.

How did I earn this nomination? She never eats animals b/c they're her friends even when she really wants a hamburger and she has the prettiest pink shirt. Also she helps everyone get over their fights.

Everyone thought I was a contender but . . . I never heard from The Committee. Norway . . . what do they know!

:001_smile: Looks like you may be incontention next year!

Personally I think Wangari Maathai (winner from 2004) was a brilliant choice, for her identification that diminishing natural resources often leads to civil strife, and her work in the Green Belt movement of tree planting and plant-growing especially among women in Kenya. I think that is an extraordinary insight into the nature of peace and what could lead to harmony on earth. And that "regular people" can have a huge impact.

Incidentally there are two nice children's picture books about her: Wangari's Trees of Peace and Planting the Trees of Kenya. I'd imagine she would be a fantastic choice of a person for students to study, especially those who are into CM in some incarnation. The importance of nature study, indeed.

Personally I think Wangari Maathai (winner from 2004) was a brilliant choice, for her identification that diminishing natural resources often leads to civil strife, and her work in the Green Belt movement of tree planting and plant-growing especially among women in Kenya. I think that is an extraordinary insight into the nature of peace and what could lead to harmony on earth. And that "regular people" can have a huge impact.

Incidentally there are two nice children's picture books about her: Wangari's Trees of Peace and Planting the Trees of Kenya. I'd imagine she would be a fantastic choice of a person for students to study, especially those who are into CM in some incarnation. The importance of nature study, indeed.

I remember her! I had to google her name to be certain, but she was in the Planet Earth series. I forget which one/s, but I liked her. She was memorable.

Btw, when I googled her to be sure I had the right person, I found a Time article where previous Nobel Peace Prize winners Wangari Maathai and Muhammad Yunus discuss Obama's win.

Edited by Apiphobic

I think it's great! It's definitely political. The Nobel committee has used the Peace prize as a political statement before. Why not now? It's their prize. They can do whatever they want with it. It seems to me that this time, they are using it as their way of telling off the previous administration and its followers.

Well, Kissinger is the first person that comes to mind when I hear all the gasps surrounding Obama's award. Not that I have an opinion one way or another about Kissinger and his award. I just vaguely remember some of the same gasping about Kissinger.

yup.

contrary to some people's assumptions, there are quite a few that have a low opinion of the "Peace" prize for exactly these reasons.

History repeats itself.