Menu

If you keep your thermostat down and your house kind of chilly...

What do you do about showers and baths in a cold bathroom? I just hate starting my day shivering in a shower, and the kids are starting to complain about freezing while taking baths. Our bathroom now is bigger than anything either of us have ever had before (though not huge--we're just used to closet-sized bathrooms!), so it takes awhile for warm steam to warm it up, especially if we're trying to keep the showers short.

Any tricks that I'm unaware of?

TIA!

I wouldn't put a space heater or anything in a bathroom - the idea of something electric being plugged in near water....nope.

Our bathroom - the entire upstairs, actually - is always a lot colder than the main floor...we crank the heat up for the time that a person is in the shower or bath and then turn it down again after ~ and there's no chance of forgetting, because the main floor becomes a sauna when we do that. :tongue_smilie:

I also make sure we have hot tea or hot chocolate waiting.

Oh, good idea!!! Or for the kids, even beforehand, so they're already warmer.

Thankfully, I have no need of a space heater. We are lucky to have a heat fan, installed by the previous owners when they redid the bathroom. I can only imagine the electricity it draws, though, so we hardly use it. I guess it couldn't hurt to use it to warm the room a bit only before baths, though, right? I'd love to know how much power that thing pulls.

We just installed a heat fan in our bathroom when we remodeled it, and it makes a world of difference at bathtime. I find that since we have a very small bathroom, I only have to run it for a few minutes to get the room comfortably warm. I also make sure we have a bath mat down for the kids to step on because there's not much worse than a cold tile floor in winter! (We have a wood subfloor, so it gets really cold.)

We just installed a heat fan in our bathroom when we remodeled it, and it makes a world of difference at bathtime. I find that since we have a very small bathroom, I only have to run it for a few minutes to get the room comfortably warm. I also make sure we have a bath mat down for the kids to step on because there's not much worse than a cold tile floor in winter! (We have a wood subfloor, so it gets really cold.)

Oh yes, always a nice cotton bath mat. Our tile is suuuuuper slippery. I don't know who chose that tile for the bathroom, but I don't think it was the best decision!

I get so hot in the shower that I actually open the window in the winter. :)

So, I'm not much help, huh?

:lol: No, not really, but thanks! DH is the same way, and he loves a good steaming hot shower. The bathroom is always soaked when he's done!

What do you do about showers and baths in a cold bathroom? I just hate starting my day shivering in a shower, and the kids are starting to complain about freezing while taking baths. Our bathroom now is bigger than anything either of us have ever had before (though not huge--we're just used to closet-sized bathrooms!), so it takes awhile for warm steam to warm it up, especially if we're trying to keep the showers short.

Any tricks that I'm unaware of?

TIA!

Winner of the mean mom award says make the kids take their showers first so the steam has accumulated for her shower. :lol:

Heated towel rack. I don't have one, but I've used them in the past and they make a huge difference coming out of the shower into a nippy room.

First, I take my showers at night before hopping into bed. :-)

However, I also turn up the thermostat for an hour or so in the morning to take off the chill, then turn it back down. Furthermore, I don't turn the thermostat way down at night. It's around, oh, 68-70 then; in the morning it goes down further. See, during the day, there's solar heat from the sun, and people are generally moving around and being active so that they feel warmer. OTOH, the house isn't so cold going into the night and it doesn't take as much energy to keep the temps up at a level that is more comfortable to all the sleeping, immobile bodies. And then in the morning, the house is comfortable and the heater doesn't have to work hard to bring the temps up. See?

twice a day I turn my thermostat up, at 7 am and 7 pm. I run it at a higher temp for about 30 minutes, then turn it back down. this gets the house rather toast for showers/getting dressed, and for baths/bedtime. Otherwise we keep the temp lower the rest of the time. I find it a good compromise of low thermostat and comfort.

Oh, good idea!!! Or for the kids, even beforehand, so they're already warmer.

Thankfully, I have no need of a space heater. We are lucky to have a heat fan, installed by the previous owners when they redid the bathroom. I can only imagine the electricity it draws, though, so we hardly use it. I guess it couldn't hurt to use it to warm the room a bit only before baths, though, right? I'd love to know how much power that thing pulls.

We had a heat fan in our bathroom at our previous house, and we really didn't notice any difference in our electric bill when we used it.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Simple. We keep the bathroom door shut so it holds the heat in. The thermostat is in the living room, it can't tell how warm the bathroom is getting. :-)

Our house is pretty leaky. We usually set the thermometer at 58 at night and 60 - 62 during the day. Now that we have only half a house and no furnace (long story), my husband broke down and bought a space heater. You aren't supposed to place them near anything combustible so it sits right smack dab in the middle of the bathroom. So, I joke that we do have central heat.

Still, we only turn it on for a short while before a bath and that is it. We generally take a shower in the evening after doing something physical so we are warmed up from that and it helps. If I exercise in the morning, I am hot and sweaty from that and don't mind the cold room.

A good idea is to have someone bring you a nice hot towel fresh from the dryer!

In my last house, there was no heat source at all in the bathroom, so we got a small space heater and turned it on briefly before anyone took a shower or bath. It was one of those closet-sized bathrooms and took only a few minutes to warm up. We never had any safety incidents. If you were concerned for small kids in the bathroom around the space heater, you could always move it out when not in use.