Menu

What to do for constipation in a breastfed 3mth old?

Dh's best friend has a 3mo baby. He is exclusively breastfed. His mom is from the Ukraine and doesn't know much English so she doesn't have a lot of resources to get information here. The dad called and asked me what to do, so I thought I would see what suggestions I could get here. They are spending the week in rural Oregon and would prefer to treat it without a visit (1/2 day drive) to the doctor. They will call the ped tomorrow, but for tonight I am trying to help them out.

The baby hasn't gone in 7 days and is showing early distress, crying/fussing, refusing to eat, pulling up legs etc.

The only advice I had was a warm bath, tummy rubs and for them to consider Karo syrup (knowing that it is not always recommended by all doctors-but available at most small markets). I also encouraged some diet changes for mom and extra fluids.

But my info is from dd10 being a baby and I figure there is much more current information out there. The Internet information is too conflicting to figure out.

Any suggestions?

My son had the same problem. The easiest way is to give them a baby Fleet enema. Sounds cruel but it works and baby is so happy.

The second attack is to cure the problem. Mom should first stop consuming all dairy products. This is the number 1 cause.

Just from my experience. My guy is 4 now.

Apart from there being a physical bowel problem, and providing the child is solely breastfed, I was told not to worry about it when we went through the same thing. The dr did feel her tummy, but didn't seem concerned, said that if it persisted for 10-14 days (I can't remember, but it was more than a week) then to go in again. Sure enough, she solved the issue herself in one explosive afternoon! :lol: Laying the baby on her back, with her knees bent, you could gently push her legs back until her bum lifts up, then repeat for a while. This gets things moving sometimes.

My last baby was and is like this the fleet is good and if baby is not feeling good then you should do something. When my dd tried to go but couldn''t I would lay her in my lap or on te couch next to me with er diaper open and take a wip and stimulate her rectum when she tried to go. Even a little vasoline or ky .Worked for us

Yes bf'ed babes can go a while but since baby seems uncomfortable... I would start with prune juice -- .5 to 1 tsp. Then if that doesn't provide relief, a pediatric liquid glycerin suppository. They are sold by Fleet pedialax I think. That's different than a fleet pedi enema which I would ask a doc about first.

A rectal temp (w/ ky jelly) might help too. And as you mentioned, warm baths and tummy rubs (in the shape of a ? around the navel).

Yes bf'ed babes can go a while but since baby seems uncomfortable... I would start with prune juice -- .5 to 1 tsp. Then if that doesn't provide relief, a pediatric liquid glycerin suppository. They are sold by Fleet pedialax I think. That's different than a fleet pedi enema which I would ask a doc about first.

A rectal temp (w/ ky jelly) might help too. And as you mentioned, warm baths and tummy rubs (in the shape of a ? around the navel).

:iagree: This is what I used. Take the prune juice slow and use baby brand so as not to cause cramping.

It is not uncommon for breastfed babies to go many days without bowel movements. It is normal. It means that the baby is using everything he's getting.

If the baby is uncomfortable, it is probable that it has nothing at all to do with not having a bowel movement. It could be that he's uncomfortable with what his mother is eating.

I believe that La Leche League's recommendation would be for the mother to avoid foods that are known to cause tummy problems in nursing babies, such as all dairy--*all* dairy, for at least a month--broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

My first dd had this problem every time we traveled. I think the carseat position somehow kept her from being able to go causing a backup. Her poor tummy got so tight and swollen. The only thing that would make her go was a glycerin suppository (infant sized of course). I believe the doctor had us cut it in half.

The babies in our family were always worn on the back so that farmwork could continue. My grandmother said that being upright, mobile AND having gentle pressure (from the adult's back) against the baby's tummy also aided with digestive issues.

I don't know if this is just old country superstitution, or what, but it made sense enough that I followed her advice - even without the farmwork issue! I'd guess that just placing baby on the chest would work the same way, just in the course of carrying her and/or letting her nap on someone's chest. Warmth and gentle pressure, with some gravity to boot.

But dietary changes in the mother are definitely worth mentioning.

ITA with Ellie- My bf baby goes for 3-5 days quite often without a bm. He does get a bit uncomfy toward the end, and cures it himself with a giant explosive poo. I *did* take his temp rectally (be careful, I don't think you're supposed to "move it around in there), but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Another possibility is he's not eating *enough* breastmilk. I'd recommend she offer more often, and try switching sides less often so he gets plenty of high fat hind milk. My ds poos more often when he's getting plenty of hind milk.

I've done peer lactation counseling for 4+ years now, have run a peer lactation counseling program for 3+ years, and have 5+ years of personal breastfeeding experience under my belt, so my recommendation is coming from this.

For heaven's sake, please do not recommend Karo syrup, prune juice, additional water, or any other non-breastmilk substance taken orally. At three months old, a baby's open gut is not prepared for these, and health problems can ensure from compromising the delicate balance of the developing digestive system. Breastfed babies need no non-breastmilk liquids, including water -- too much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance in an infant, and "too much" water is actually a fairly small emount in a baby that size. No enemas, either.

Breastfed babies can go up to 10 days (sometimes more) without a stool. This is normal. Yes, the baby may be uncomfortable if this is the first long space between poops, but this can usually be alleviated through bicycling the legs, warm baths, or gentle massage. True constipation is characterized by hard, dry stools -- I promise you that a well-hydrated breastfed baby will, when he eventually goes, produce a soft (if quite stinky) stool, not a hard, dry stool, even if it's been several days.

Will add to the suggestions:

When my last was in NICU (dd#3), the nurses had me try skin-to-skin kangeroo care to help things along:) Being naked against the warmth of mom's skin, plus being tummy down is supposed to help.

Dd#2 had the same problem - it's miserable watching them go thru it. Warm baths and time seemed to help, also the baby suppository. Karo syrup (dr's advice at the time) didn't help. Her constipation started at 2 mos and she had reoccurances of it all thru toddlerhood. She developed a fear of pooping and held it in during the toddler years. That was a really horrid time for us!

Will add to the suggestions:

Dd#2 had the same problem - it's miserable watching them go thru it. Warm baths and time seemed to help, also the baby suppository. Karo syrup (dr's advice at the time) didn't help. Her constipation started at 2 mos and she had reoccurances of it all thru toddlerhood. She developed a fear of pooping and held it in during the toddler years. That was a really horrid time for us!

I've seen this before in my friend's kids and it was truly horrific. :grouphug:

As for the OP, all of my kids had a bowel movement once a week or even a couple of times 10-14 days. I would take them to the doctor and he would feel their belly and say they were fine. Sometimes they would be fussy, but it was never 'true' constipation. I wouldn't worry about it. All of the stuff that drs tell you to do, [prune juice, cereal, thermomator(sp?), water etc] is unnecessary. The mom should drink lots water, eat healthy and yeah the whole dairy thing probably is a good thing to stop. :glare: [sorry]

My oldest had true constipation, hard round pellets, caused by a dairy allergy. Our pediatrician had me give her magnesium...liquid, about 1/2 tsp up to about 1 tsp...or crushed tablets mixed with something (breastmilk would be fine), about 1/2 of one. He never really gave me a specific amount, said too much magnesium causes you to go which is what we were wanting to happen. He said there were no other concerns with magnesium. So, that's what I did. It worked within a couple of hours every time.

I don't have time to read all the posts, so this could be a repeat. But my sister's kids have had this. We finally found the solution: water..either from a bottle, but they would not take a bottle, so she squirted it in with a medicine dropper. just a few tablespoons througout the day when you lay them down to change their diaper did the trick.

I've done peer lactation counseling for 4+ years now, have run a peer lactation counseling program for 3+ years, and have 5+ years of personal breastfeeding experience under my belt, so my recommendation is coming from this.

For heaven's sake, please do not recommend Karo syrup, prune juice, additional water, or any other non-breastmilk substance taken orally. At three months old, a baby's open gut is not prepared for these, and health problems can ensure from compromising the delicate balance of the developing digestive system. Breastfed babies need no non-breastmilk liquids, including water -- too much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance in an infant, and "too much" water is actually a fairly small emount in a baby that size. No enemas, either.

Breastfed babies can go up to 10 days (sometimes more) without a stool. This is normal. Yes, the baby may be uncomfortable if this is the first long space between poops, but this can usually be alleviated through bicycling the legs, warm baths, or gentle massage. True constipation is characterized by hard, dry stools -- I promise you that a well-hydrated breastfed baby will, when he eventually goes, produce a soft (if quite stinky) stool, not a hard, dry stool, even if it's been several days.

I am a Certified Lactation Counselor w/ WIC and will match smrtmama's post and raise her one rectal infant suppository :tongue_smilie: especially if the baby is so uncomfortable.The mama does not to change her diet, if her diet was a problem the baby would have lots more problems and would have shown signs before this. Make sure the mother is not doing an cultural relevant foods or supplementing. She may think she is exclusive, but doesn't realize that rice cereal in a bottle every day negates her status as exclusive and is the cause of the problems! I'm not saying she is, but with a language barrier, it's easy to miss something like this.

I am a Certified Lactation Counselor w/ WIC and will match smrtmama's post and raise her one rectal infant suppository :tongue_smilie: especially if the baby is so uncomfortable.The mama does not to change her diet, if her diet was a problem the baby would have lots more problems and would have shown signs before this. Make sure the mother is not doing an cultural relevant foods or supplementing. She may think she is exclusive, but doesn't realize that rice cereal in a bottle every day negates her status as exclusive and is the cause of the problems! I'm not saying she is, but with a language barrier, it's easy to miss something like this.

I love your comment so much that I want to marry it, have babies with it, and then nurse them all with your wonderful lactation support. :)

I agree and will add that *I* wouldn't do anything with an exclusively breastfed baby unless the bms were hard, had blood in them, etc. As long as they are loose, yellow and buttermilky then it's all good.

I love your comment so much that I want to marry it, have babies with it, and then nurse them all with your wonderful lactation support. :)

:lol: I'm dying over this comment.

Karo syrup has been associated with botulism, if I remember correctly. This could be debatable, I'm sure. "My doctor told me to give it my baby and he/she is fine!" is all well and good, but let the doctor be the one losing sleep at night for recommending that one.

Prune juice is a pretty tried and true "remedy", but there is a reason it works so well, and it is not very comfortable for a baby. The gas and cramping it can cause may be worse than the not pooping discomfort.

Sometimes babies that young still don't have the best muscle strength or know where to focus their efforts in order to poop. They get more uncomfortable, and instead of pushing to relieve the discomfort, they hold it in because it hurts. Much like many women in the pushing stage of labor, lol. Helping the baby by holding the legs up so they can push against them a bit can help, as well as gentle pressure on the rectum with a baby wipe. That pressure helps them "remember" where to push their efforts. Often why babies poop again as soon you just change their diaper :tongue_smilie:

I see someone else already quoted this post...

This post is correct advice. I too have extensive breastfeeding training. She speaks truth. :001_smile:

Karo syrup has been associated with botulism, if I remember correctly. This could be debatable, I'm sure. "My doctor told me to give it my baby and he/she is fine!" is all well and good, but let the doctor be the one losing sleep at night for recommending that one.

No, that's honey.