Menu

Families with 3 or more children , what packaged curriculum do you find easy to use

Looking for the perfect packaged curriculum for my situation.

I am new to homeschooling , please help!

My situation:

I have a 7 , 5 , 4 and one yr old.

I would like to combine the older two and in the future the three for most subjects except CLE for math and LA .

I want a Christian curriculum, with classical and CM spices :001_smile: with a little bit of traditional mixed in

One that is not heavily focused on American history

One that has some reading , some crafts but not too much of either one.

I've looked at Sonlight but I am scared it will be too much reading and my kids are not auditory learners , though they like some great books.Also I heard it lacks arts and crafts .

My favorite is Heart of Dakota. HOD has two years of American History during the elementary years. If that's too much for you, you may want to consider My Father's World (which only has one year of American History in elementary/grammar school - though when we did it, I stretched it out closer to 18 months). WinterPromise is an option, but they also cover American History for two years.

I've used all of those plus Sonlight. Heart of Dakota is just what I was looking for all along. I love the very strong Christian world-view and absolute centrality of the Bible & Creationism to everything. I love the way the books flow together. The projects are really fun, easy to complete, and are actual learning opportunities. For us, it's the perfect amount of reading with literature that we love. I like that it includes a reading program but it's gentle in that area and still feels very Charlotte Mason-like... doesn't analyze the books to death and take all the joy out of them. The readings are kept short so that you can fit in all the other areas that need constant focus, especially in the younger years when you are laying a strong foundation with phonics and math. I like that it's very CM, uses alot of classical literature and is quite traditional but literature based. I like that it includes grammar (they schedule Rod & Staff with copywork, spelling, and dictation) fairly early on which is kind of unusual for a curriculum that is so heavily influenced by Charlotte's methods (she would have delayed grammar instruction).

Even though there are two years of American History, the focus of each is different. The first year is about the events that are most important in American History and the second year is more biographical.

Well I cannot say enough about, Susan Wise Bauers, curricula. Check out the peace Hill Press link at the top of the forum.

I've used her Reading, History, Writing and Grammar.

I've also used Sonlight, Winter Promise, Tapestry of Grace, Abeka, etc etc etc. I'm so relieved I finally found a GREAT, teacher friendly (fast) curricula that my kids adore! (we still use TOG as well though)

First thing I'd purchase before buying ANY curricula would be Susans book, "The Well Trained Mind", in it she guides you through different curriculum choices for each grade. It's a great starting point! I wish I read it when I first started homeschooling, it would have saved me a ton of money and undue stress.

She doesnt offer math or science programs but she does have recommendations for each in the above book.

Tapestry of Grace is a super "everyone included" curriculum for K or first grade and up. I would second HOD for the younger 2 or all three at this early stage in the game however, if you wanted to really keep things simple. It is all American History, but you could add other readings such as SOTW.

First thing I'd purchase before buying ANY curricula would be Susans book, "The Well Trained Mind", in it she guides you through different curriculum choices for each grade. It's a great starting point!

:iagree: That's definately the place to start. I've continued to use Susan's products and ideas since we started our first son in K. I haven't always followed TWTM exactly but it has influenced everything we have done. Start there for sure.

Since you want Christian, I would check out HOD (as others have mentioned) and also MFW. Given the ages of your dc...MFW would work wonderfully in the years to come. You could do Adventures and then go all the way through, just adding in each dc as they reach 2nd gr. Make sense? MFW suggest using a separate K and 1st gr. program and then adding the dc to the History cycle wherever the oldest is.

Well I cannot say enough about, Susan Wise Bauers, curricula. Check out the peace Hill Press link at the top of the forum.

I've used her Reading, History, Writing and Grammar.

I've also used Sonlight, Winter Promise, Tapestry of Grace, Abeka, etc etc etc. I'm so relieved I finally found a GREAT, teacher friendly (fast) curricula that my kids adore! (we still use TOG as well though)

First thing I'd purchase before buying ANY curricula would be Susans book, "The Well Trained Mind", in it she guides you through different curriculum choices for each grade. It's a great starting point! I wish I read it when I first started homeschooling, it would have saved me a ton of money and undue stress.

She doesnt offer math or science programs but she does have recommendations for each in the above book.

I would have to agree with the above poster. I have 3 kids the same age as yours (with another on the way). Right now especially it is very easy to do school with the older two. I have all of the curricula (except WWE) and honestly it is the most user friendly, quick, and for my kids memorable curriculum we have used. I havent started formal school with my 5yo but still he knows nouns, verbs, etc because he sits with us for Grammar.

I dont really worry about lesson plans, I just keep pluggin away using a lesson a day in reading and grammar. We do history 3 days a week. For science we do it as a family when we can.

My curriculum choices are in my sig line and while its not a boxed curriculum it is way easier than Sonlight and a lot less overwhelming! :) PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck

I use MFW and love it. They use SOTW as a history spine (except 1) and follow many of the classical ideas.

The book basket lists are great and I do a combination of library and buying the best ones, although the curriculum is complete without them.

I have heard that criticism of MFW's Science but have never found it to be true in our home. We are very science oriented and have been pleased at how hands-on it is and how much the kids enjoy it. My kids have also tested well in science using MFW Science. My son who is in 7th grade moved into Apologia General Science easily.

The best thing about doing MFW as a family is the family learning aspect. I love learning as a family and the family learning projects - medieval night in rtr, feasts and festivals in ctg, playing games that were played on the Mayflower. We love that and has helped us to come together as a family.

Heart of Dakota sounds perfect for you! I don't have 3 children, but I am using 2 different manuals this year. It is CM based and for Math and English, I use CLE. :) CLE and HOD marry so well. You could likely combine your two younger children in Little Hearts for His Glory (maybe even Beyond...but it would depend on the younger one. My little 6 year old wasn't ready for Beyond even though he is advanced otherwise - the history was over his head). For the 9 year old, likely Bigger Hearts with Extensions or Preparing Hearts would work for you. I went with Bigger w/extensions for my 10 year old because we really wanted to do a year of American History right now. Next year, we will choose between Preparing and CTC.

ETA: Little Hearts is more Biblical History and not American. Beyond and Bigger are American. Preparing is an one year overview of world History and CTC starts the 4 year cycle with "Creation to Christ."

There is a message board there, if you are interested or have any questions. :)

Curriculum http://www.heartofdakota.com/

Message Board http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/

Edited by Tree House Academy

I'd start with HOD or MFW (although I'd prefer HOD) and then I'd switch to TOG at around 2nd and 3rd grade levels. Using TOG with my 3rd grader plus has been fantastic for our family.

We have very successfully combined Apologia Elementary Sciences (at one book per semester vs. the full year as Fullbright recommends) with grades K-6.

I combine math wherever I can. One year ds2 worked with ds1 and the next year, he worked with dd3...go where you can with those areas.

This year older reads aloud history to youngest, same for geography and piano. I took the things they loved most and allow them to share with the youngest. It has been great so far!

Finally, I schedule in play time with older and youngers. It helps a great deal and allows for the 20 min. time slot I need to quickly teach a math or language arts lesson to another child, as well as, a no brainer break for older children.

Some of these things don't apply to you now, but they will soon :)

Best wishes!

Ok , great ,thank you for all your opinions !

I think I will just purchase the books . I don't mind that as I have 4 kids to use them.

Who is Crystal ? I would be interested to read that post . My son loves history the most but he also likes science. He seems to have the brain more inclined toward language (he spells and reads at 3-4 grades above his age) and history so I think in the future he will be more interested in history than science. Is MFW history as good as Sonlight's?

Voting for TOG here. (Tapestry of Grace). It does use Story of The World as well, depending on which way you go, its listed as an 'alternate' history selection. Best of both worlds, I think.

TOG covers everything but math and science. Art, geography, history, social, language arts...love it. And its a repeat 4 yr cycle. So, once you buy the spines, you repeat them with different books over and over again, getting harder and deeper into subjects as you go. Expensive initially, but considering how many children you have, their ages, and the repeat factor, completely worth it. To me, anyways. I have three that will be hs'd. Diva is 10, Princess is three today, and Tazzie four. So for me, it is completely worth the initial price.

Due to my custody arraignment with my oldest child I have never had the opportunity to do MFW science (he has done science at his mom's house) but Crystal's dh is a scientist and they think it is wonderful. She has posted detailed opinions of the science but I can't find them at the moment. Maybe she will come along and link one for us.

my ears are burning.... Hi Christina. ;)

I'm in quite a bit of depression today. one of those horrible days where adjusting to an out of state move 6 weeks ago is just too much to find a link. So, I will probably not write a good post over here. I can try. sigh... self pity party today... sorry.

Yeah, my dh has a PHD in chemistry. Works as a research scientist.

We like how MFW does science. It really seems to respect various stages of learning. They try to include a variety of science skills that you might otherwise be tempted to skip or focus on "teaching to the test". That's stuff like learning via the scientific method and not just learning the words of the scientific method. That's something he really likes -- let them do the experiment, ask simple questions, make them clean it up. have fun.

Lots of high interest fun experiments in the youngest years. Extra reading is encouraged on the topic via book basket lists. And you can add more when they are interested in more.

grades 3-6: lots of topics are covered. uses several publishers over various years. Some years you get two years of science in one academic year. Nature walks are scheduled (not specifically assigned b/c of regional differences). But those are great for learning how to observe things. Not all of the years are the same in science. ECC - there are less hands on things because it is botany/biome/habitat theme to go with geography.

and you still have time to tailor it for your child if they want more of a topic, or enter science fair. good balance there.

We're in Creation to the Greeks again this year (did it 5 years ago too) and we like the Genesis for Kids book because it is hands on, fun stuff. And then there is the addition of what is called Science Toolbox in that book. That's a time where the kids learn what it is to make a good observation and hypothesis and all of those tools of the trade. And then you also get some Egypt science in there too. And some Greek history of science. Good year for over view in chemistry and physics.

7th-12th, they use Apologia jr. high and high.

my hubby thinks the science is good in MFW. I remember one year I managed to bring him to a homeschool conference with me. He looked ahead in the science (we were in year 4 that year). He told the author of MFW that she did a fine job selecting science.

-crystal