Menu

What do you serve with chili?

I've not been able to focus on this all week... thought I'd ask you all for some fresh ideas!

Tomorrow we are having a birthday party. Weather here is a bit rainy and damp, and party follows a football game, so I thought it would be good to have something nice and warm to come back to the house to.

Chili

cornbread

green salad

Coffee

hot cocoa

What else would you serve?

:bigear:

Yes, we are having cake and ice cream for dessert. I figured I had that part covered.

Thanks for the condiment ideas, though! We don't add dairy to our meals generally, so I forget how the rest of the world eats sometimes! Might be nice to be able to have a reason to buy some sour cream!!! (Two with milk issues in our house.)

:party:

Reminds me of a funny story my friend, Brad, tells, about how spicy food can come back to "gitch ya!" later (it's a little off color, if you want to stop reading):

He had a friend (roommate, I believe) who had eaten some very, very spicy food, followed by ice cream for dessert. Later in the day, Brad was passing by the bathroom, where said roommate was "engaged," and Brad hears, "Come on, Ice Cream!"

I like corn chips, or flour tortillas, or sourdough bread, or cornbread with my chili - oh and shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese.

My husband likes sour cream, cheese and curly french fries with his.

So, for a party, I would put out tortillas (in a warmer if you have one), corn chips, sour cream, bread of some kind, cheese, and french fries/curly fries - oh and maybe hot dogs and buns as well!

I agree with just making sure you have lots of toppings. We always do a big chili party closer to Halloween. I make sure to have shredded cheese, sour cream, diced onions, Ro-tel tomatoes, and regular diced tomatoes for those who don't like the "heat" of the Ro-tel. Oh, and having lots of Fritos is an absolute must!

Okay, now I'm craving some chili! :tongue_smilie:

I know some people think it's completely wrong, but I like a few noodles at the bottom of my chili bowl. I think Chili, cornbread and salad sound good. I think brownies or something might be yummy, but you're probably having cake, right?

If chili over noodles is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

I also like it over cornbread, or even more decadent, corn pudding.

Condiments (sour cream, shredded cheese, diced onions) are good.

My grandmother always served a platter of saltines and sliced cheese with chili.