Menu

Announcement

I've decided that I'm too thin-skinned, or something, for much of the debate that goes on here. I find myself sitting up late with my heart pounding, just like this character.

From now on, I will be attempting to put forward my point cogently in one post, then will leave the thread. I apologise if I will be denying others a good tussle, but I need to put my energies into other things.

I already have two threads where I have posted and run - it feels good just to say to myself: no, I've said my piece, I don't need to go back there.

Laura

I do that a lot of the time, too. If I give an opinion or agree or give advice (when asked for!), unless my post is specifically questioned, I wont go back and forth... I already said my part... And, when I have been questioned, it may have been that I need to clarify or really give a bigger picture of what I previously wrote... that is okay with me... If someone disagrees, I don't have to respond because they are just stating their mind.

I had that happen when I posted about something I found very comical and a few others did not find it funny at all... and they were sure to point it out! Well, okay... that's fine. I would not have found the situation funny 10 years ago and never imagined myself in that position... so... okay... I just laughed a bit more and got through the situation. Life has a way of going round and sometimes those who have no idea what is funny about something or who judge an issue... well... life has a way of happening and they find themselves surprised with a very new experience and perspective!!

Good for you!

I understand the feeling completely. :grouphug:

I was just pondering to myself recently how much it seems things have changed, and I'm not thinking of this board specifically but in a larger sense. It seems like the political arena has become so much like a Jerry Springer show and all about the ratings and shock value than anything worth listening to. The discussion (if that's what it could be called) doesn't lead to persuasion or understanding, just divisiveness, anger and suspicion.

I wish it could be more like Marc Antony's (or, I guess, Shakespeare's actually) method of persuasion, "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!" That's power, imo.

Enjoy the peace, Laura.

Edited by Apiphobic

When I saw the title I thought you were puttin C&H in school earlier than planned.

This year is going well so far. Calvin, in particular, is really enjoying the new time management measures we have in place. As of tonight, he only has twelve more hours of work for the whole week - last year he was working evenings and weekends to get through the same workload.

Laura

I think that's fine if you feel having folks disagree with you is too unpleasant to tolerate.

Best wishes.

IRL I enjoy debate. It's more a feeling of frustration. There's something about the online medium, I think, that actually militates against compromise. One's previous positions are there in black and white, so the gradual move towards consensus that might happen in spoken disagreement is harder to achieve. Or so I find.

Laura

From now on, I will be attempting to put forward my point cogently in one post, then will leave the thread...

I already have two threads where I have posted and run - it feels good just to say to myself: no, I've said my piece, I don't need to go back there.

Laura

LOL! I have told myself I will do this as well... too bad I have already failed on one thread here. I wish you more success than I have had and that I can follow your example.

I've decided that I'm too thin-skinned, or something, for much of the debate that goes on here. I find myself sitting up late with my heart pounding, just like this character.

From now on, I will be attempting to put forward my point cogently in one post, then will leave the thread. I apologise if I will be denying others a good tussle, but I need to put my energies into other things.

Laura

I do the same thing. In many cases, I've stopped reading the political threads (healthcare and such) completely because I know I'm just going to expend a lot of energy getting worked up and upset.

I've just stopped opening most (not all:tongue_smilie:) contentious threads. I think I've only posted in two or three in recent memory, and one I thought was going to be mild, but got rough.

How To Spot A Contentious Thread Without Opening One, 101.

1)Look for star ratings that fluctuate between extremely low and extremely high. (1 star, then up to 5 stars, than down to 2 stars with 13 votes........you get the picture)

2)Look for snarky tags

3) Look for 1600 views or above

4)Look for any hot-button words in the title such as-

Obama

Health Care

Shopping Carts

Health Care

Breastfeeding

Health Care

Spanking

Healthcare

Anything else PARENTING related

Health Care

Rights

Quiverful

Healthcare rights

The people with the tv show with a whole bunch of kids

And it's almost time for the two biggies ..... Do Christians celebrate Halloween and/or Christmas?

Edited by Blessedfamily

It seems like the political arena has become so much like a Jerry Springer show...
Yes, one has that sense about life in general...

I think that's fine if you feel having folks disagree with you is too unpleasant to tolerate.
You're misstating things here. Laura never said she finds it intolerable when people disagree with her.
There's something about the online medium, I think, that actually militates against compromise. One's previous positions are there in black and white, so the gradual move towards consensus that might happen in spoken disagreement is harder to achieve.
That's an apt observation, Laura. Best to you.

There's debate going on? :001_huh: I guess I mostly skip those threads....mostly. ;-)

This was my first reaction too. I think I tend to avoid those threads that show potential to get too time intensive so that might explain it.

I think it is a good idea to keep the 'online community' stuff in perspective. Life is too short to get wrapped up in online debates to the extent that it is stressing or frustrating JMHO. :001_smile:

This year is going well so far. Calvin, in particular, is really enjoying the new time management measures we have in place. As of tonight, he only has twelve more hours of work for the whole week - last year he was working evenings and weekends to get through the same workload.

Laura

Tell us more, please! I've tried this sort of thing before, but haven't been able to get it to work for us.

Tell us more, please! I've tried this sort of thing before, but haven't been able to get it to work for us.

He has to 'active sit' or stand for all tasks. Active sitting means sitting on a wobble cushion or an exercise ball - it's meant to keep the brain awake by causing constant small physical adjustments.

At the beginning of the week, I write out his tasks, including times for each task - he can appeal if necessary, but basically he works to a timer for each task. I give him a mark for most written work and add it up to make a weekly grade - if he dawdles and doesn't finish, he gets a low mark.

I'm not sure what is the most important element of all this. Actually, yes I do know: Calvin wants to change. He really hated working such long hours last year.

Best wishes

Laura