Menu

We were leaving for Orlando on Saturday...

...because my dh was scheduled for a training class. We bought Disney Homeschool Days tickets last week. Five of them, non-transferable and non-refundable. He received an email an hour ago that his class was rescheduled to October. We have spent our saved money on tickets. We've shopped at Goodwill for 2 months preparing. I have tour plans printed. My children do not yet know. I am crying and don't know what to do next.

GO!!!!! You can do it alone if necessary. Seriously - with your kids' ages, it'd be a breeze. Can your dh join you for a couple days after his conference? Can he explain to work about this vacation that is already paid for? Can you bring a friend along to help you out? (I'll volunteer!! LOL)

We went last year and dh was sick for FOUR days of our trip. FOUR days. I had all four kids with me for those days. I only lost the youngest boy once. (Actually, that was his fault - he chickened out of a ride after getting in line with his older brothers. I had already walked with the baby girl to the exit. Luckily, the cast members there found him and brought him to me before I even knew he was missing!!) We still had an AWESOME time!!!

I highly recommend the Homeschool Days classes, they are so wonderful. If there is any way that you can afford to go, please consider it. You don't have to stay on site to enjoy yourself. There are a LOT of inexpensive hotels off property....in fact you may be able to get yourself a wonderful last minute deal on a condo......check out

homeaway.com

vrbo.com

allstarvacationhomes.com

Check the individual homeowners' calendars and find one that doesn't have someone already booked for your dates and call them and see if they'd be willing to strike a bargain for you. After all, they aren't making any money on an empty condo/house and the chances of booking it by next week are pretty slim....so they may be willing to take half of their asking price. Some won't.....but many will. We've gotten luxurious condos for less than a 2 star hotel by booking last minute and negotiating with the owner directly.

AND...the added bonus is that if you have a vacation rental as opposed to a hotel, you'll have a kitchen so you can stop at Walmart and get the necessities for doing at least breakfast and snacks to carry to save money. When we've done Disney on a shoestring, we had breakfast in the condo, carried snacks in our fanny packs, shared lunches in the park and gone back to the condo for dinner. Our condo was so close to the parks that we could stand on the balcony and still see the higher set of fireworks and hear the boom! Several of the days we came back late afternoon for a rest, swim and dinner, then returned for after dark rides and fireworks in person.

If that is simply out of the question, then yes, call Disney and tell them your plight. If you hang out on any of the yahoogroups or forums, you'll know that many a "non refundable" ticket has been refunded for the asking. The worst that they can do is say no. Ask for a supervisor if they do say no, as often the first level CMs don't have the authority to override anything, but supervisors very job is to make guests happy.

Wishing you lots of pixie dust!

If these are regular Disney tickets, they can be used any time. You can use them when your hubby goes in Oct. The only stipulation is that if it is a multi-day ticket then it has to be used within a certain time window of the first use. I have never heard of them having a ticket that was only good on a specific day or set of days. Check this out. Hopefully, you can just go later.

If these are regular Disney tickets, they can be used any time. You can use them when your hubby goes in Oct. The only stipulation is that if it is a multi-day ticket then it has to be used within a certain time window of the first use. I have never heard of them having a ticket that was only good on a specific day or set of days. Check this out. Hopefully, you can just go later.

I *think* the homeschool week tickets are only good for that week, aren't they?

Good morning to everyone. Thank you for your kindnesses and suggestions. My dh called Disney and they were understanding of the circumstances, and offered a refund if we send the tickets back. Why don't I feel better? I mean, my body actually hurts. I hardly slept last night, and this morning I am so sad. Goodness, it's a theme park! But I had allowed myself to get so excited, I can't be consoled. Dh's company was paying for the rental of a mini van and the hotel, plus his meals, so without that, we could not afford the trip at all. I told the girls we're taking today off of school because I'm such a stupid mess today. The girls are being precious, and believe that God has a plan in it all. I'll try to pull myself together and learn patience. Thanks again~

Good morning to everyone. Thank you for your kindnesses and suggestions. My dh called Disney and they were understanding of the circumstances, and offered a refund if we send the tickets back. Why don't I feel better? I mean, my body actually hurts. I hardly slept last night, and this morning I am so sad. Goodness, it's a theme park! But I had allowed myself to get so excited, I can't be consoled. Dh's company was paying for the rental of a mini van and the hotel, plus his meals, so without that, we could not afford the trip at all. I told the girls we're taking today off of school because I'm such a stupid mess today. The girls are being precious, and believe that God has a plan in it all. I'll try to pull myself together and learn patience. Thanks again~

Ginger, I'm so sorry! :grouphug: It's normal to be disappointed when something so huge that you were looking forward to is canceled. Be easy on yourself. Your girls sound like very kind souls.

Can you reschedule all of this for October instead? It won't be Homeschool Days, but it will still be fun.

I think she's talking about the YES program and/or special Homeschool Day tickets....they have more restrictions on them than the regular admission tickets (which yes, until used for the first time will never expire).

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Awww, it's ok to feel that way. And what wonderful girls you have raised that they reacted in such a positive way to a disappointment.

If you're still able to go for October, contact a few of the Florida homeschool groups and see if you can get some of them interested in doing a YES program with you. The YES program only requires 10 people minimum. We did that for one visit because we'd had such a blast at the Homeschool Days. Our little group of 14 wasn't nearly as big, which can sometimes add to the fun of course, but it was another wonderful program put on by Disney that my kids STILL talk about almost 2 years later.

Good morning to everyone. Thank you for your kindnesses and suggestions. My dh called Disney and they were understanding of the circumstances, and offered a refund if we send the tickets back.

Excellent!! TAKE THE day off of school!! And use it to PLAN your trip in October!!! :) I think you can easily do all the parks in a 3 day hopper (if they still sell them like that) so it won't cost you anymore than the discount you received through the homeschool days.

Visit Disboards..there are amazing folks on there who will photoshop create a set of name tags for each of you in your family! You can inexpensively take those and print them on adhesive paper to wear on your days..you can go and buy cheap t-shirts (especially summer wear, since fall clothing lines are out) and tie-die/design your own family shirts!! We did that one year and received so many comments, fun sightings..were called out by strange traveling trash cans...we were walking in Magic Kingdom and I heard this man call out to me, he said, "Hey, you the lady with the messed up tie-dye"...(You see, I had done this incredible job of tie-dying 3 colors on these shirts, it was BEAUTIFUL!! But when I washed them you could only make out 1.5 colors and it looked hideous, we wore them anyway but on each shirt I had ironed on each kids favorite Disney character with their name I printed out on my computer using the Disney font and they at least had that on the front of their shirt...on the back I wrote in permanent marker statements like "My wife failed Tie-dye 101" or "I love my mom, but she can't tie-dye" etc.) well this 'trash can' travels around and talks to people..so by having our names on the shirt he started saying "Hi, Eliza, so your mom can't make a shirt, can she?" It was hilarious to realize it was a talking can...

So go out, explore the disboard pages, ask someone to create your families names on a background that you can iron on to shirts or just print out on sticky paper for name tags...get one for each day....it's a lot of fun..so now you have MORE time to plan and get creative!!!

Here is one designer, they do it all for free and are wonderful people!! there are probably 20 designers and thousands of designs!!, I'll post one here for you to see..

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1966574

Tarac.jpg

Yes, if you purchased these tickets new, you do not have to use them when you planned The only stipulation is that you have to use them within 13 days of first use - for example if you went on Sept.15th and used a 5 day pass, you would have to use the remaining 4 days on the pass within 13 days.

ETA: Oops sorry, should have kept reading, I see the tickets have been refunded.

Similar thing happened to me. In July my DH gave me 5k for my birthday to plan a Disneyland trip since I have been wanting to go (sneaky guy was saving all year!), I purchased the tickets right away and planned to go within two weeks. Since it was August and HOT got the kids some new summer clothing, sandals, etc. Then all this stuff started popping up, an urgent Drs appt we couldn't miss so we postponed for one week, then DH got summoned for jury duty (we found out too late to postpone because they sent the notice to his dad who has the same name), then we purchased my FIL's home, which has been used as a rental and is destroyed so the rest of the money went to repairs in the home. Now I have these fun tickets, the weather is cooling off, and I'm not sure when we will be able to go :(

Edited by fshinkevich
too late!

Ah, Ginger! This is a big adjustment. :grouphug:

I get thrown by much smaller things. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Your girls sound awesome!

This is what I was going to say - if yours is anything like mine, it is all paid except the family meals and any tourism. We go with dh all the time when he travels, but we couldn't do it if we had to pay the hotel, the rental car, etc.

Sorry about your trip. :(

We were going in March. It was a trip that we planned with our whole family (17 people) for 8 mos. A week before the trip we had spring flooding that surrounded our house and threatened it for three weeks and my father in law (who was coming on the trip) was diagnosed with cancer. Needless to say the trip was canceled. My oldest two were the saddest, but they handled it well. It was still hard though. We got a refund from Disney, but AA would only give us vouchers for our 7 plane tickets. I feel your anger, hurt, and frustration. We decided that the Lord really didn't want us to go if he put all those road blocks up.

I hope that your trip works out for the future!