Menu

Going to Italy!!!! ...

Heather in VA

I turned 40 in July and my husband gave us a huge surprise. Apparently for the last 6 months he's been planning a cruise to Italy for our family. We are spending several days in Rome and in addition to several other Italian cities (including seeing Pompeii!!!) we will be spending 2 days in Florence and 2 in Venice. I'm so excited.

We have covered alot of history here and I'm trying not to make the whole thing a big "schooly" experience by doing alot of school about it before we go but I would like to touch on some artists and composers we might encounter while we are there. We leave in early October. So who would you recommend? For sure Vivaldi since he was in Venice but there are so many I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

Oh and I just had to share a hilarious comment my 6 year old made. We were telling her about the Colosseum and telling her that it was were the Christians were brought and killed by the Lions. I didn't want to upset her but she's seen artwork of it. I should have known. She loves animals so she skipped right over the 'killed' part and said 'oh do we get to see Lions???'. I said no, that happened over 2000 years ago. She said 'Darn ... We missed it'. LOL!!!

Heather

Michelangelo, of course! (I think his Pieta at the Vatican is the most breath-taking art I've ever seen in person.)

Have fun & be sure to post about your trip when you return!

ETA: Have you seen this Treasure Hunt Venice book for kids? It looks cool & they also have one for Florence. I saw it because I was trying to remember a picture book we read a couple of years ago that talked about all the lion statues in Venice & spending time spotting them. (Your youngest dd should like that, lol.)

Edited by Stacia

You'll love it! My husband and I went in '06 for his work. If you get a chance, read the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers before you go (not recommended for your kids). It will make the Colosseum even more meaningful as a Christian. As far as "schoolish" things, you could go to the Vatican Museum and see the Sistine Chapel. Hope you have a great time! :001_smile:

Edited by Mom_Abear

Lucky You! My dad and daughter are over there right now. They went back to Rome, because my daughter loved it so much! With some Latin study, it seems as though Italian makes a bit more sense to my daughter. (I think...we'll talk more when she's back) She has enjoyed it SO much. You realize to get in Vatican City, it's a separate spot. And, my dad advance purchased First Class (train?) tickets and found out that it just allows him to reserve/purchase 1st class when he's there. (For about 10 euro extra each ticket.)

Of course, you realize lots of n*keds over there. (art) and so my dad was concerned that I explain this to my daughter before they went.

My dad said the euro is horrible for us, right now, and so it's a lot more $$$ than he was expecting. They've loved the gelato! and Pizza has been great. Fresh Mozzerella....oh...wow....food ...art....Yay:-)

Get good walking shoes:-) and check out what you have to wear for some of the spots.??

I have no idea when you're leaving...but they're getting back here on this Saturday...if you aren't leaving before then.

Carrie:-)

We went this summer - amazing. We had each kid research one of the famous places we would go and they played tour guide. (We also downloaded the Rick Steve's audio tours to help) Don't forget to go to the Christian catacombs; they were amazing. Have a fantastic trip and enjoy it all.

We went to Rome right before dd was concieved (Dh says we ate, drank and made Mary...lol). Dh was doing some research for his dissertation, so he needed to go to see a synagogue (in ruins) in Ostia; we combined his scholarly pursuits with a week-long vaca.

Definitely do not miss Vatican City (be prepared for sensory overload). If you go directly to the Sistine Chapel and then work backwards thru St P's and the museum, it seems less crowded. (that didn't make sense, but just do it)

I found the catacombs were profoundly affecting--we took a bus there.

Definitely see the Pantheon--there's a nice square in front where you can sit and people watch while eating gelato--oooh, eat lots of gelato.

The Forum is way, way cool, ruin-wise. Get a good guide so you can tell what happened in the buildings. Trajean (spelling?) has a cool column, too, that shows his military victories.

There are tons of feral cats at the Colliseum. Don't pet them.

Perhaps you can take a day to go to Pompeii? Super, super cool--like walking thru an ancient ghost town, with mosaics and all intact on the walls. Watch the artwork in the brothel--or, don't "watch" it! lol Oh, and there are tons of wild dogs in Pompeii--don't feed them or get near them...

Have a BLAST and plan to go back! Happy 40th!

I went with my husband about 9 years ago and loved it!! He's an artist, so I loved seeing the Sistene Chapel and all of Caravaggio's paintings with him!

One word of caution - pickpockets target the tourists in Italy!! Some women on the busses pretend to be holding a baby (wrapped in blankets) and will stand next to you so they can steal your wallet/purse without you even knowing it!! I actually saw a man rub my husband's back pocket trying to steal his wallet- my husband never even felt it. When we were eating lunch, we saw a man run out of the restaurant with a woman screaming after him that he stole her purse! Also, the little children are trained to come up to you in groups and distract you while one of them takes your money. BEWARE!!! So - definitely buy one of those zipper billfolds that buckle to your waist that you wear under your clothes!

I was able to have peace of mind knowing my passport/ money was all safe!

Michelangelo, of course! (I think his Pieta at the Vatican is the most breath-taking art I've ever seen in person.)

Have fun & be sure to post about your trip when you return!

ETA: Have you seen this Treasure Hunt Venice book for kids? It looks cool & they also have one for Florence. I saw it because I was trying to remember a picture book we read a couple of years ago that talked about all the lion statues in Venice & spending time spotting them. (Your youngest dd should like that, lol.)

These books look fabulous. I'm going to get several. I know my kids will love them!!

Thanks. I can't wait to see the Vatican. We are looking forward to that.

Heather

Lucky You! My dad and daughter are over there right now. They went back to Rome, because my daughter loved it so much! With some Latin study, it seems as though Italian makes a bit more sense to my daughter. (I think...we'll talk more when she's back) She has enjoyed it SO much. You realize to get in Vatican City, it's a separate spot. And, my dad advance purchased First Class (train?) tickets and found out that it just allows him to reserve/purchase 1st class when he's there. (For about 10 euro extra each ticket.)

Of course, you realize lots of n*keds over there. (art) and so my dad was concerned that I explain this to my daughter before they went.

My dad said the euro is horrible for us, right now, and so it's a lot more $$$ than he was expecting. They've loved the gelato! and Pizza has been great. Fresh Mozzerella....oh...wow....food ...art....Yay:-)

Get good walking shoes:-) and check out what you have to wear for some of the spots.??

I have no idea when you're leaving...but they're getting back here on this Saturday...if you aren't leaving before then.

Carrie:-)

Oh how fun. My parents took my oldest to Europe - including Rome - a few years ago. She absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back especially now that she's studied more history and Latin. The n*keds don't bother me but I do worry about the Sistene Chapel. According to my daughter they are very strict about absolute silence in there. I dont' think my 6 year old has been quiet for more than 3 minutes in her entire life, except maybe when she's sleeping, and even then she makes wierd noises LOL.

I would love to hear about their trip when they come back. I'm sure you are missing her. I know I did when mine was gone, even though I knew it was a great time and great opportunity.

Heather

You'll love it! My husband and I went in '06 for his work. If you get a chance, read the Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers before you go (not recommended for your kids). It will make the Colosseum even more meaningful as a Christian. As far as "schoolish" things, you could go to the Vatican Museum and see the Sistine Chapel. Hope you have a great time! :001_smile:

Thanks- I'll look at those books. I am looking forward to seeing it. I was surprised to find how few people went to the catacombs when I was reading on travel boards etc. We are looking forward to that as well.

Heather

We went this summer - amazing. We had each kid research one of the famous places we would go and they played tour guide. (We also downloaded the Rick Steve's audio tours to help) Don't forget to go to the Christian catacombs; they were amazing. Have a fantastic trip and enjoy it all.

Thanks - I have Rick Steve's book. I hadn't thought about his tours but I will take a look. We are definately going to the catacombs. There is so much to see in Rome we had to narrow things down to reality but I told DH the catacombs were a requirement.

Your research idea is great. I think I will try that.

Heather

We went to Rome right before dd was concieved (Dh says we ate, drank and made Mary...lol). Dh was doing some research for his dissertation, so he needed to go to see a synagogue (in ruins) in Ostia; we combined his scholarly pursuits with a week-long vaca.

Definitely do not miss Vatican City (be prepared for sensory overload). If you go directly to the Sistine Chapel and then work backwards thru St P's and the museum, it seems less crowded. (that didn't make sense, but just do it)

I found the catacombs were profoundly affecting--we took a bus there.

Definitely see the Pantheon--there's a nice square in front where you can sit and people watch while eating gelato--oooh, eat lots of gelato.

The Forum is way, way cool, ruin-wise. Get a good guide so you can tell what happened in the buildings. Trajean (spelling?) has a cool column, too, that shows his military victories.

There are tons of feral cats at the Colliseum. Don't pet them.

Perhaps you can take a day to go to Pompeii? Super, super cool--like walking thru an ancient ghost town, with mosaics and all intact on the walls. Watch the artwork in the brothel--or, don't "watch" it! lol Oh, and there are tons of wild dogs in Pompeii--don't feed them or get near them...

Have a BLAST and plan to go back! Happy 40th!

Oh that is SO funny. I definately plan to eat and drink... but we'd better not be making Mary LOL. We are staying in Rome on either end of the cruise part in a hotel right across from the Pantheon. I looked into a day trip out to Ostia but it was going to end up being too expensive (there are 5 of us). We did decide to get a guide for the Forum. My oldest has been there and said you need it to know what the rubble used to be. We are going to Pompeii on our stop in Naples. We decided to get a guide for that as well. But we'll be doing the Vatican on our own. I figured it would be so overwhelming anyway that more information would just blow our minds. Plus - we were starting to run out of money LOL.

The catacombs are on the list too. I am really looking forward to that.

I'm so excited I could just bust.

Be sure to make advance reservations for all the big sites you want to see! On our tour last year, we were able to walk right past hundreds of lined-up tourists at the Coliseum and the Vatican because we had reservations and they didn't.

Traffic in Italy is horrific. If you're going to be driving or riding in a bus, plan on many traffic delays.

Be sure to make advance reservations for all the big sites you want to see! On our tour last year, we were able to walk right past hundreds of lined-up tourists at the Coliseum and the Vatican because we had reservations and they didn't.

I was going to mention this same thing! We lived in Italy for a couple of years, and it's definitely one thing we learned the hard way. Check to see if your cruise line will set it up for you, or if you should make the reservations on your own. You will definitely want an admission time for the big museums in Florence or you may never get in. Rome isn't so bad, except for the Vatican.

If you hit Venice, I recommend getting a day pass for one of the water taxis. They will zoom you all around, and if you get tired of walking, you can just ride around the city and take in the sites. It's lovely, and much cheaper than a gondola! ;)

I went with my husband about 9 years ago and loved it!! He's an artist, so I loved seeing the Sistene Chapel and all of Caravaggio's paintings with him!

One word of caution - pickpockets target the tourists in Italy!! Some women on the busses pretend to be holding a baby (wrapped in blankets) and will stand next to you so they can steal your wallet/purse without you even knowing it!! I actually saw a man rub my husband's back pocket trying to steal his wallet- my husband never even felt it. When we were eating lunch, we saw a man run out of the restaurant with a woman screaming after him that he stole her purse! Also, the little children are trained to come up to you in groups and distract you while one of them takes your money. BEWARE!!! So - definitely buy one of those zipper billfolds that buckle to your waist that you wear under your clothes!

I was able to have peace of mind knowing my passport/ money was all safe!

Yes, this warning is given in every travel guide, and for good reason. A group of such children encircled me outside the Coliseum. Within seconds my waist pouch was unzipped and little hands were fumbling through the contents--a comb, a pen and some Chapstick. Everything of value I kept in one of those hidden zipper billfolds underneath my clothes, just like the travel guides recommended. Nonetheless, I instinctively fought off the little darlings. A few minutes later I saw the police arrest a women sitting on a nearby bench.

Have a great time! Italy is beautiful (except for Naples, lol). Don't stress too much about being silent in the Sistine Chapel. We were just there on Monday, and while you are supposed to be silent, it wasn't being strongly enforced. Every few minutes the guards would yell, "Silence! No photos." It would get quiet (but not silent) for about 30 seconds and then the noise level rose tremendously again. This woman ran out of the room with her hand slapped across her screaming toddlers face (she literally slapped her hand across his mouth and was jerking his head around as she ran for the exit) and the guards got really upset with her. They kept telling her it was fine, not a big deal.

If you can't afford it, you don't have to have a tour guide. I always buy a really good tour book and play guide for my husband and kids. They love it and think I'm so smart (I memorize parts before we go and impress them with my knowledge, lol).

Rome and Florence are wonderful cities. Haven't been to Venice yet, but hope to get there next year before we leave.

Thanks everyone. You are all confirming what I've heard and was planning. We are making advanced plans for the big places with tickets. Thanks for the pickpocket warning. My parents travel alot (several months each year) and they have these neck things that you wear around your neck and down your shirt for your money. They have steel inside so you can't slash the cord. They are loaning them to us. I know we will have to be careful since as a group of 5 we will most likely get distracted at some point with keeping track of the kids.

Heather

Rome: Pantheon!!! Hadrian's Tomb (Castle St. Angelo)!!! buy your tickets for the forum/coliseum combo at the far forum entrance (barely any line) unless you want to stand in a long line at the coliseum. If you already have your ticket you get put in another line. MAke your reservations to the Galleria Borghese ahead of time. We didn't get to go because of that. Walk down Via Veneto. Don't be afraid to take the subway. Don't be afraid to walk into any church or open doorway, you might find an amazing achitectural gem!

Florence: Spend the $$ to climb the duomo. Unless you have vertigo and/or claustrophobia or weak legs. :)

If you can go to Siena, do it. If you can go to Lucca, do it. If you can go to the Cinque Terre and portovenere do it.

What a great trip and have a great time! I will some day get to putting our family's last trip up on my blog then I will post it.

I have only been twice but my husband is from Italy and all his family is there. I actually got stopped in Florence to sign a petition, as I guess I didn't look like a tourist!

Don't forget to experiment with your gelato flavors!:D And go into local shops to get little picnic lunches and evening food supplies!

How exciting for you. If you all don't mind, what would a trip for four to italy cost in a either a cruise or just to go over there for say a week to 10 days. Is that long enough? I would love to take my children when they are a bit older (they are 5,6) and maybe I need to start saving now! Thanks!

I would suggest climbing Giotto's campanile (bell tower) located near the duomo in Florence, rather than climbing Sta. Maria dei Fiori itself. That way, you have a great close-up view of Brunelleschi's dome (on the church) instead of being inside it. Does that make sense? I need more coffee. My 7-year-old son climbed the campanile with me and he had no problem. Beautiful view of all of Florence at the top.

I would highly recommend Rick Steves' guidebooks. That's where I got the above tip and many others. There is a great little sandwich shop across from Orsanmichele (a lovely place that many tourists walk right by without noticing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orsanmichele ) called Due Fratelli. It is only a quarter of a block from Orsanmichele, on a side street. There is no place to sit, but they sell little sandwiches and single glasses of wine. This could be one way for the adults to enjoy a glass of wine at lunch on your way back to the hotel for a rest. It is a very local place if it is still there. The regulars keep their wine glasses on a shelf for when they come back later in the day. That is also a Rick Steves tip.

My tour in Venice did not include L'Accademia, and I was dying to go there. So I used the Rick Steves tour of L'Accademia in his "Venice" guidebook and was pleased. I was an art history major, so I'm not saying the museum "tours" he includes are scholarly, but it is a heck of a lot more than you would get on your own. (And most children are unwilling to listen to the long-winded "tours" that are usually offered.)

Another one of my favorite places in Florence that I was extremely surprised to find nearly empty is San Marco, a former monastery with beautiful paintings by Fra Angelicon in the monks' cells: http://www.paradoxplace.com/Perspectives/Italian%20Images/Montages/Firenze/San%20Marco.htm If your children enjoy illuminated manuscripts, don't miss the Library at San Marco. It is not really near anything else, so you might just want to take a cab there. I walked, but it was a long way from the center. It is amazing how big those illuminated manuscripts were/are: they had to be big so that a big group of monks could all see the book at once. There are no clear pictures of these manuscripts that I could find on the internet, but here is a nice review of the museum: http://www.igougo.com/print.aspx?ReviewID=1175669

Have a wonderful time -- I love your upbeat attitude!

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

How exciting for you. If you all don't mind, what would a trip for four to italy cost in a either a cruise or just to go over there for say a week to 10 days. Is that long enough? I would love to take my children when they are a bit older (they are 5,6) and maybe I need to start saving now! Thanks!

I honestly can't tell you for sure. DH has a contract job (he's a software developer) that is sporadic and apparently has been less sporadic than I thought because he's been saving money from it for a while for this trip. I really don't know what the cruise itself cost. But I do know they are at rock-bottom prices compared to what they used to cost. In fact he told me that after you book, if prices go down and you call, they refund the difference and he's gotten 3 refunds already.

What is expensive is what you do when you get there and it's greatly affected by the down dollar right now. We have a family of 5 and have chosen to do private tours rather than the bus tours with the cruise ship because the cruise ship price X 5 people is either the same or sometimes much more than 5 people in a private tour. Private tours are MUCH more expensive than the cruise for 2 people. But for a tour (we aren't doing one at every port - just a few) for 5 people which includes a full day tour and transportation but not food, entrance to any museums or places or tips, runs about 500 Euro. Of course what 500 Euro means in dollars changes every day. And the cost to fly there isn't cheap either.

If you want to go in a few years, try to start saving now. I know DH has been saving about a year and he had his side job he could earmark money from. It would take us longer to save it out of our "regular" paycheck.

Heather

Julie!!!

What great information. I am so looking forward to Florence. We have two days there so while we did choose to do a tour one day, we will have the other to wander the city on our own. I'm making notes of all of your great advice (especially where to get good food :-) )

I have the Rick Steve's book and a StreetWise map of each of the major cities we will be in. I'm a big fan of 'wander around and experience' so I figure I'd better get a map in case I get completely lost :-).

Thanks so much

Heather