Menu

Argh - public school mishap

But I spoke up for myself this time!

My youngest ds (going into 7th grade) is going back to public school this year. He was so lonely last year neither he nor I could stand it. He had almost no social life outside our family all last year.

So, when I went in to check if he'd been registered, the woman at the desk said, "Oh,we're so glad he's coming back. Do you think he'll be up to speed after taking a year off?"

Um...excuse me? Taking a year off?????

She said the same thing last time we talked, so this time I spoke up. I said, "Actually, I see it the other way around. When he's in school, he slacks off, so I take him out for a year, work him hard and get him back to where I feel he should be, and when he's back on track I put him in school so he can have some fun."

That shut her up. She was much more deferential for the rest of the conversation.

Taking a year off, my a**. (sorry. that just fries me.)

:lol: I love your response! When people question me I tell them I'm the toughest teacher DS has ever had. We school year round and he is pushed. I make sure DS understands he must try HIS best. In regular school all he tries for is the lowest possible work to maintain an A. When he was in 2nd grade he had already figured out how many problems he was able to miss and still get an A. We remediate incorrect problems so no trying for minimum in my home.

Hope your DS enjoys his year off this year.

I said, "Actually, I see it the other way around. When he's in school, he slacks off, so I take him out for a year, work him hard and get him back to where I feel he should be, and when he's back on track I put him in school so he can have some fun."

You go, Girl! :hurray: