Menu

What do you use for Singapore math : HIG, Textbook , workbook...etc

blessedmom3

i love the teacher's book (NOT the homeschool one). the approach they take to teaching the ideas is pretty wonderful, and has worked really well. the only times we've had difficulties have been when i've thought "oh that's easy" and not followed the lesson plans! we also have the intensive practice and extra practice books available for the times when they need to be challenged a bit more OR need extra practice. we use the textbook each day, and the workbook.

hth,

ann

We're using the Instructors Guide, Textbook and Workbook. We purchased the Extra Practice book and the Tests book but are only starting this week so we haven't used them.

Since Singapore takes a different approach from the way we learned math all those years ago we thought it wise to spring for the Instructors Guide. It does offer an outline of how many lessons/units per week and that's nice, though we probably won't follow it. It also offers a loose script and ideas for added work.

We're in 1A and using the workbook, textbook, and HIG. I don't think you "need" the HIG if you are very mathy and good at coming up with games (etc) to reinforce concepts. I love the HIG and would be lost without it. I am not mathy, and it helps me explain things, and suggest games to play, suggestions like "your child should know such and such at this point" and has mental math drills included.

We use the Teacher's Guide (because there is not a HIG out yet for the Standards edition level 5), textbook, and workbook. We have to have the Teacher's Guide for the answer key, but I'm so glad we have it. Even though I'm a math person, I use the Teacher's Guide everyday. I run through the lesson with my dd, doing problems on the whiteboard together, that I get out of the Teacher's Guide.

I'm a math-person. I only use the workbooks. I've bought the textbooks because always on this website, lots of people (like all of them), many of whom I have great respect for, rave about the textbooks and talk about how useful they are. So, I own all of them, from 1A through 6B. I've never used them. Go figure. ;)

Textbook to teach

workbook to do the work

If they need them I have lot of manipulatives that I have collected starting with the Saxon manipulative set, rounding out with the Rightstart set and cards and finishing up with a variety of homemade Waldorf and Montessori inspired materials.

If they need review, I use Rod and Staff for intensive, Math in My World (picked up the whole set at the dump for free) for light review, and I also like the Extra Practice book.

I do have the HIG for level 4 but have only looked at it once so far.:001_smile:

What do you use for Singapore math?

Do you use the Home instructor guide , textbook and workbook ?

I use the HIG's, the Textbook, the Primary Workbook, the Intensive Practice books and the CWP books (the last is going OOP and already hard to find-I already bought all the copies I will need).

Heather

Textbooks, workbooks, and CWP here.

I'm a former math teacher so I just naturally think of any activities or explanations that I'll need to do. And we don't do anything other than read the textbook to explain the concepts most days.

We used IP for first and second grade, but it's more for mathy kids who love puzzles. Not really helpful for my older girl--maybe my youngest would like it. I bought a used copy of the home instructor's guide for grade 2 and opened it a few times, but I just didn't need it and don't foresee buying any other grades at this point.

We have gotten along with just the textbook and the workbooks so far. When we started, they didn't have the home instructor's guides. Ds15 took it from 2b through 6B and is continuing with NEM. DS13, started with 1A and is in NEM. With dd9, I am considering the HIG, since I hear so many great reviews here. She seems to need a little more than my boys did. I have purchased the Challenging Word Problems, but we never got around to them.

We use Workbook, Textbook, Extra Practice, and HIG. I tried intensive practice and it was too intense for my DD8 who does not really care much for math. I have not used the HIG a ton, but love the mental math sheets to copy and the games. It has also been a wonderful resource for scheduling or to check in with when I am stuck on an explanation!

This is bad, but the only thing I use from the hig is the front where it tells you what text pages go with what lesson & what mm goes along with that. I'm thinking of getting the rainbow rock cd for multiplication, but it's expensive & I'm not sure how plentiful they are used. If anyone has one...pm me :)

Paula

We use the HIG, textbook, workbook, IP and CWP. I'm getting the tests booklet soon for my older daughter in 2B, but just because she will be doing standardized tests at the end of this year. I don't know how much I will use it, but I got it "just in case".

For levels 1A and 1B, I think you don't really need the HIG or TG. The textbook is fairly self-explanatory -- I have them, and review them, but don't really use them much for this level. (But this is just my opinion....others may disagree). Starting with 2A, I think the HIGs are really useful -- for the extra drills in the back of the book, and the games and approaches they outline for teaching topics. I don't always use what they provide, but I always at least skim the lessons for ideas if I need them.

We also have the Rainbow Rock CD, which we use about once per week. I intend to get the other CDs for higher levels.

As for manipulatives, we use multi-link cubes, an abacus, a base ten cube set, a balance with metric weights, coins and a white board for doing example problems.

HTH.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are very mathy and are assuming we will get the IP books instead of the workbooks.

How has this worked out for those of you who do this? Are there times when you make up (or look up online) basic problems?

For those of you who do both, do you the regular workbooks hit on any concepts that the IP problems don't hit?

My husband and I are very mathy and are assuming we will get the IP books instead of the workbooks.

How has this worked out for those of you who do this? Are there times when you make up (or look up online) basic problems?

For those of you who do both, do you the regular workbooks hit on any concepts that the IP problems don't hit?

I wouldn't recommend that. The how to approach things are taught in primary text and workbooks. The IP books just take the concepts learned one step farther in logic and difficulty. If you just buy the IP books, unless you have been trained in the Singapore way of approaching problems you are just going to solve them with traditional means, loosing half their benifit.

They really go hand in hand. You can leave off the IP books if you like. The IP books are great for making the child learn to think and learn that not all math problems can be solved the first time around. I consider them critical thinking practice. They do not teach the core approach, the why of math like the primary books, but assume it is already known.

Heather

This year we are trying the IP instead of the workbook. (We also use the text and HIG) This is working because my dc don't need a lot of practice with each text lesson and we tend to more than one text lesson/day. The disadvantages may be not enough practice for some kids, and there is no exact alignment with the text like there is w/ the workbook.