Menu

Give up paying taxes or the right to vote?

Would u give up ur obligation to pay taxes in exch for giving up the right to vote?  

1. 1. Would u give up ur obligation to pay taxes in exch for giving up the right to vote?

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely not.

Yes, we have an imperfect system. Yes, there is room for improvement. However, I am comfortable paying my share to the public benefit; it's factored into our lives. I would be fine with paying more in taxes for more public benefit - we'd adjust. I know that's an unpopular point of view around here, but there it is.

I'm also jaded. I voted yes, because I figure the "no tax forever" would last at least a few years lol. Voting doesn't really affect government, not to the extent that is nessisary anyway. And "no taxes forever" is not a promise anyone can make. So I figure since neither is really of much value, like I said, I would expect the "no taxes" to last for a few years so the discount from that would be the best of the choices I think.

Absolutely not.

Yes, we have an imperfect system. Yes, there is room for improvement. However, I am comfortable paying my share to the public benefit; it's factored into our lives. I would be fine with paying more in taxes for more public benefit - we'd adjust. I know that's an unpopular point of view around here, but there it is.

:iagree: And I'd add: it isn't just about the public benefit but my own selfish interests. I don't want some person's untreated TB, or some criminal on the street, or some poorly-educated person, or dangerously mentally ill person, impacting my family.

Absolutely not.

I agree wholeheartedly. Absolutely not.

Absolutely not.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: :hurray:

I'm feeling pretty unpopular around here too because I also share this point of view.

I am also perfectly comfortable paying my share to the public benefit. I believe it to be my moral responsibility to help my fellow man and I have no problem with my taxes going up for the cause. We too would adjust.

So, to answer the question. I would not trade my right to vote for the option of no longer paying taxes.

I would never give up my right to vote. As meaningless as I feel my little vote has become, it is still my vote. I've voted in every election local and federal since I became eligible. I used to be naive and think some of our elected officials really cared.

Absolutely not.

Ditto.

I believe it to be my moral responsibility to help my fellow man and I have no problem with my taxes going up for the cause.

I agree. No one said you can't donate the equivalent amount you would've paid in taxes to whatever agency or charities you wish. This is key.

Someone has to be in power, that's true. But power also needs money behind it to have weight. If you disagreed with how schools were acting, and stopped paying the school district, I am guessing the administrators see the budget projection and would soon start asking their superintendent to take a different approach to school matters. Would this be good? I guess it depends on what you call "good" and what strategies seemed good to you.

Nope. I have absolutely no problem paying federal taxes to allow the government to function constitutionally (which includes my right to vote). The same goes for state and local taxes and their governing documents/ principles. I also will (and do) give money to help my fellow human beings via charities and just plain-old neighborliness.

I'm also jaded. I voted yes, because I figure the "no tax forever" would last at least a few years lol. Voting doesn't really affect government, not to the extent that is nessisary anyway. And "no taxes forever" is not a promise anyone can make. So I figure since neither is really of much value, like I said, I would expect the "no taxes" to last for a few years so the discount from that would be the best of the choices I think.

I'm so sad that :iagree: It seems like our vote doesn't matter anymore...I keep dreaming of the British Civil War!

If you disagreed with how schools were acting, and stopped paying the school district, I am guessing the administrators see the budget projection and would soon start asking their superintendent to take a different approach to school matters. Would this be good? I guess it depends on what you call "good" and what strategies seemed good to you.

The point here is that an individual could choose where to put their money.:001_smile: That's the difference.

:iagree: And I'd add: it isn't just about the public benefit but my own selfish interests. I don't want some person's untreated TB, or some criminal on the street, or some poorly-educated person, or dangerously mentally ill person, impacting my family.

I assume I'm part of the public so, with the exception of personal gain at the expense of others, my interest IS the public interest in matters of security (health, food, physical, etc). (I also like roads.)

Absolutely not. I am more than happy to pay our fair share of reasonable public expenses too. However, I think the last several administrations have gone above and beyond reasonable, and this current administration is taking it into the realm of ludicrous. It would not bother me as much if the services and benefits that were being given in exchange were properly managed and WORKED. I do have a problem with extreme amounts of money being forceably taken from our family in order to pay for vast amounts of waste, frivilous projects that are mismanaged anyway, and programs that are clearly seriously broken.

I think what I would prefer would be to pay a reasonable tax to cover infrastructure, defense, and other very basic services, and then have the option to voluntarily contribute additional money to specific governmental funds that covered services I would like to support. For example, this Cash For Clunkers nonsense is not something I would voluntarily fund, but I would absolutely contribute to a program to provide basic food, shelter, medical care, etc. to the elderly and disabled.

What would prevent you from contributing to the public good and helping your fellow man even if you weren't required to pay taxes?

:iagree:

And I, in the minority, voted that I would give up my right to vote. Over the last 32 years, I have been on the losing end of the vote 95% of the time. I'm guessing on that, because I cannot remember one I was on the winning side of.

I'd have more effect waving a sign, shirtless, on an I-5 overpass.

No, but I do like the proposal Heinlein made in a couple books that you could not be a voting citizen unless you had completed military service. It was optional, but you couldn't vote without it. He also would not have allowed anyone to vote if they were receiving payments from the government.