Menu

Does Anyone Here Actually Homeschool for Free?

sweetbaby

We are having to do everything for free this year. Zero money for anything.

For math I will be using MEP

Following Ambleside recommendations for LA

Using Baldwin Project, Heritage History, Project Gutenberg and the Library for History, Science, Geography and reading books.

Using an online Latin text, taking it slowly, same with Greek.

Not easy, but doable.

Me- I ended up getting extras, but could have done it for free.

I borrowed books by Ruth Beechick and will use her math scope and sequence for K-3. I joined some yahoo groups and got a lot of info and ideas for making math games at home and great activities to teach concepts without spending a dime. I use LOTS of online math games and drills. I'm making a few board games to use as well. It's amazing how much real math kids can learn from "doing" and not sitting filling out an expensive workbook! I add in living math books from the library as well.

I use CM style LA, so narration,dictation,spelling, etc. come from our history and science books-- some spelling will come from their personal lists of frequently misspelled words. I can access Emma Serl's grammar book online for more LA and for composition. There are also compositon lessons incorporating grammar and other LA concepts in one of the Beechick books. Enough writing lessons to last a year, then they can be redone the next year on a higher and deeper level. I find MadLibs online and older dc do those for parts of speech review as well.

Phonics- I was a reviewer/test-driver for a phonics program so I have the set for free. But, there are plenty of phonics lessons in Beechick's A Home Start in Reading and it's very similar to the program I'm already using.

I get all our history and science books from the library. We're studying American History this year and I've written my own unit studies that include free art study and poetry related to the topic, websites with add'l info, booklist for the library, hands-on, recipes, science, experiements with lab sheets, LA activities, etc. all accessible for free or home made.

Latin/Greek-- we're going to focus on prefixes and suffixes this year. So, no curriculum needed. I just need to make a list and let them look it up in the dictionary, make some cards with the definition and add some words that use have the pre/suffix with their definitions.

Did I skip a subject? I think that's it.

As my dc get older, I don't know that I can do it for free, but I can get so much from the library that what we plan to use (HOD's newest guides) will be very affordable and only a one-time purchase that will go through 4 kids for each level.

ETA: You can access some of the Famous Men series on google books as well...there are MANY books there for free. We also get many DVD's from Netflix or watch instantly movies...we only pay $5 for that, so that's almost free.

Edited by hmschooling

I started off just reading An Easy Start in Arithmetic since my library didn't have the Three R's yet. I was hooked! It's great, then I went ahead and read much of the 4th-8th grade book she wrote titled You Can Teach Your Child Successfully. Just yesterday, I started on the Three R's book. Awesome!

I also picked up Language and Thinking for Young Children. This lady has some great methods...I love all her books. I can email you the scope and sequence PK-3 checklist for math (includes activities, games, directions, book references) I just made after compiling info from her books and files from yahoo groups for RB method moms and a friend or two using RB methods.

Add in a couple math board games if you want(Dino Math Tracks, Timing It Right, Money Bags, Flip4, Sum Swamp, etc.), some traditional board and card games and lots of fun manipulatives (home made and snacks for the most part!) and you have a complete math program for K-3 for nearly or completely free. Grab some living books from the library too for more fun. I should make a list of those to go along with the skills/levels in the S&S I made.

hschooling,

Can you tell me what books you read by Ruth Beechick that you got the math s&s and the LA ideas from. I have her Language Wars, but that is it. It just sorta just touches on things as far as I can see. No real detail except for that excellent study of Psalm 23.

hmschooling, you rock! :)

Gee, thanks. I'm flattered...and blushing :001_smile:

I would call it more like, ummm...obsessive. LOL I can't help it, I just love to research this stuff...helps that dh is a full time student and with the economy, we can't get any more student loans. Ha! I have to research this- like it or not! Glad I could help though.

I don't know anyone who does it, and I can't imagine doing it.

Several of the resources in that free curriculum list are just samples. One was even just a table of contents.

Even knowing where the good free stuff is, I'd at least need to have notebooks and pencils, and pencil sharpeners, for my kids. Crayons and glue and scissors would be a stretch. Don't think it's impossible to not have enough money for a little plastic pair of scissors. My upstairs tenant pays all of her bills when her one source of income comes in, then she's completely, one hundred percent broke for the rest of the month. Furthermore, when you're poor, transportation is usually an issue. Unless you live next door to the library, you're paying for gas or the bus.

Taking for granted all those things a middle class person does, you could homeschool for "free," because you'd have a reliable car and the ability to buy pencils, notebooks, and replace the pencil sharpener when it breaks.

But a truly poor person probably couldn't do it, not someone living in poverty, not someone who needed it to be 100% and actually free, someone who couldn't handle the two and five dollar expenses here and there.

Although, if school supply stimulus grants become common practice, there might be a way.

I'm sure I *could*, given a good library (and paper and pencils). But it wouldn't be a *goal* of mine unless the survival of my family depended on it.

I'm very blessed to have the resources I need to make purchasing my choice of materials an option. And that certainly makes my life easier!

Several of the resources in that free curriculum list are just samples. One was even just a table of contents.

Even knowing where the good free stuff is, I'd at least need to have notebooks and pencils, and pencil sharpeners, for my kids. Crayons and glue and scissors would be a stretch. Don't think it's impossible to not have enough money for a little plastic pair of scissors. My upstairs tenant pays all of her bills when her one source of income comes in, then she's completely, one hundred percent broke for the rest of the month. Furthermore, when you're poor, transportation is usually an issue. Unless you live next door to the library, you're paying for gas or the bus.

Taking for granted all those things a middle class person does, you could homeschool for "free," because you'd have a reliable car and the ability to buy pencils, notebooks, and replace the pencil sharpener when it breaks.

But a truly poor person probably couldn't do it, not someone living in poverty, not someone who needed it to be 100% and actually free, someone who couldn't handle the two and five dollar expenses here and there.

Although, if school supply stimulus grants become common practice, there might be a way.

I agree. I think that it is our interpretation of the word free that is the misunderstanding.

How about "free" as in, have to go get groceries so I'll stop by the library on the way there. And hit up the dollar store and walmart during the back to school season for 15 cent pencil packs, crayons, and notebooks- a dollar for some construction paper and scissors, even if they are the primary grade ones. No need for binders, composition books, etc....the experiences and time together, not the big projects needing lots of supplies, are the best.

Like a certain handwriting curriculum but can't afford the workbook, while you are at the library getting your ancient history and living science books;), get online, check out that curriculum's preview of all the letters and write it out yourself as closely as possible. Do it in the order of their TOC so you can group them similarly or do it to go along with your phonics lessons-- or if you are using RB methods- do your phonics lessons in the order of the HW or alter both of the orders to your liking. Then, write up your own pages for dc to copy for handwriting/copywork.

There are SO MANY shortcuts and even when we finally have money-- more than enough once dh finishes his schooling-- I can't see ever spending much at all on the elementary grades. Their young years are so short and so important-- kick them outside and have them count the leaves and graph how many wild animals they see vs. pets. Measure around the trees to practice measuring and to see how old the tree is. Have them put those dirty sticky hands on dark construction paper and dust it with baby powder to be a forensic scientist and study/compare fingerprints when you join them in the mess making. THAT is a real education...all the rest is extra.

How about "free" as in, have to go get groceries so I'll stop by the library on the way there. And hit up the dollar store and walmart during the back to school season for 15 cent pencil packs, crayons, and notebooks- a dollar for some construction paper and scissors, even if they are the primary grade ones. No need for binders, composition books, etc....the experiences and time together, not the big projects needing lots of supplies, are the best.

Like a certain handwriting curriculum but can't afford the workbook, while you are at the library getting your ancient history and living science books;), get online, check out that curriculum's preview of all the letters and write it out yourself as closely as possible. Do it in the order of their TOC so you can group them similarly or do it to go along with your phonics lessons-- or if you are using RB methods- do your phonics lessons in the order of the HW or alter both of the orders to your liking. Then, write up your own pages for dc to copy for handwriting/copywork.

There are SO MANY shortcuts and even when we finally have money-- more than enough once dh finishes his schooling-- I can't see ever spending much at all on the elementary grades. Their young years are so short and so important-- kick them outside and have them count the leaves and graph how many wild animals they see vs. pets. Measure around the trees to practice measuring and to see how old the tree is. Have them put those dirty sticky hands on dark construction paper and dust it with baby powder to be a forensic scientist and study/compare fingerprints when you join them in the mess making. THAT is a real education...all the rest is extra.

Gracious! You are full of good ideas!! :D

My problem is I am like a child when s/he attempts his first writing assignment....I see a blank sheet of paper. Hehe!

Gracious! You are full of good ideas!! :D

My problem is I am like a child when s/he attempts his first writing assignment....I see a blank sheet of paper. Hehe!

LOL...that's why I started a curriculum consulting business and writing my own unit studies. I needed somewhere to vent it all and put my obsession to get use for my family!

As for writing:

Make the letters big with masking tape first and let them walk the line with something that starts with that letter, then get smaller and let them trace it with their finger..then using upper elementary size handwriting paper (K-2 levels are too small and it's more like drawing than writing, a total different skill that requires too much motor control). Put several of the letter for them to trace. They have to write ONE letter as wonderfully as they can that day and each day after for a few days. Then move on to the next letter. Start with lowercase since this will be what they see and use the most at first.

A situation like this would be one that would benefit from outreach programs, church giveaways etc. There are usually charities that will give stuff to low income families. I would hope that would be available to anyone who wanted to homeschool, but felt too poor to do so. Also, a situation like this might view public school as a blessing. Low income families usually can get free lunch for their children and if you talk to the teachers, and resource centers at the public schools, they could assist with the school supplies. At least that is how it works here, and I live in a rural part of KY. Reading this post makes me truly see how blessed we are and not to complain so much about expense, but try to make a conscience effort to budget our money and not be so wasteful.

Hope that made sense..I'm a little under the weather...head is a little foggy.

WOW!! Well said!!! :hurray: I like those ideas. You've given me renewed hope that this can be done without all the curriculum I had picked out. I just wanted the easy route, but you've helped me realize that it wont be near as much fun!!

I have done it before and could again, I'm sure, though I am thankful I don't have to. We were absolutely broke during K5 and 1st with our oldest child. We didn't even have a computer. I hadn't read any books on educational philosophy. I'd read a few HSing books, whichever ones my library had that I could borrow for free. I borrowed the grade-appropriate Core Knowledge books from the library and made lists. I made judicious use two local libraries during those years, made worksheets by hand, focused on the 3 R's through unit studies...it was a great deal of fun! My costs were quite minimal during those years...a pack of pencils, a pack of red pens, a box of crayons, etc. Very minimal.

I agree that I've seen some of the free sites and they only end up being samples but hmschooling has some great thoughts.

My budget is even on a budget so I'm always looking for ways to cut cost but I'm afraid of planning my own stuff. :eek: LOL

Hmschooling, I'm waiting for your book to publish.:D

Hmschooling, I'm waiting for your book to publish.:D

LOL! The only thing I'm publishing are unit studies (which do incorporate many of my ideas-- if I'm allowed to point you to my link in my siggy below, then consider yourself pointed). LOL...but, that's a great idea...something to think about - a "how to homeschool for free the hmschooling way" book. :lol:

I'm going to have to get you to put some of these flattering comments on my site as reviews! LOL

WOW!! Well said!!! :hurray: I like those ideas. You've given me renewed hope that this can be done without all the curriculum I had picked out. I just wanted the easy route, but you've helped me realize that it wont be near as much fun!!

:iagree:

hschooling you are my new hero!! I have these kinda ideas all day too and it is funny I keep looking for somebody else to plan it out for me. Geez, what a concept, use the brain God gave me. ;) lol

Okay, but,once again trying to save myself from actually using my braincells (and time, that is the big factor), when you come out with the big book -- I wanna copy!!

When I think "free," I think of costs for things specific to homeschooling above and beyond the very basic stuff like pencils and crayons that 99% of parents buy (or already own) anyway.

I'm getting lots of requests for the S&S I've offered to share...so anyone interested, just go ahead and send me your email or post it here and I'll email it to several at a time instead of this one by one business...it's getting to be popular! If I can figure it out, I'm going to post the file on my website for you to be able to download from there-- perhaps in the forums connected to my for now. I'll try to also post a file that lists living math readers for each concept/level- if I've found some- but that could take a bit of time. Maybe I'll post a homeschool for free tips download too. ;)

You can also email me at hmschooling at att dot net. I'll post a direct link if I can figure out the process of getting it on there.

A couple of years ago, a man and his daughter were discovered living under a tarp in Forest Park in Portland, OR. They had lived there for years, and he was homeschooling here using only an old encyclopedia and a Bible. He got very sick, and that's how they were found. The girl went to public school (at least while he recovered), and they tested her to find out what kinds of remediation she would need.;) They ended up putting her in 1 grade higher then her age would have suggested:tongue_smilie:.

A couple of years ago, a man and his daughter were discovered living under a tarp in Forest Park in Portland, OR. They had lived there for years, and he was homeschooling here using only an old encyclopedia and a Bible. He got very sick, and that's how they were found. The girl went to public school (at least while he recovered), and they tested her to find out what kinds of remediation she would need.;) They ended up putting her in 1 grade higher then her age would have suggested:tongue_smilie:.

That is just too cool.

That is so incredibly awesome! Way to go dad! I'm also impressed with the school for not letting pride stand in the way of putting this girl where she belonged...around here, they'd not even bother to test and start her in K b/c there is "no way" she could have been educated in that environment.

It's not really homeschooling, but I school from home for free. I use my state virtual academy, and get all of our K12 curriculum as well as science and art kits for free. Well, my property taxes already paid for it, so it's not really free. I guess you can say it's pre-paid. :D

Me- I ended up getting extras, but could have done it for free.

I borrowed books by Ruth Beechick and will use her math scope and sequence for K-3. I joined some yahoo groups and got a lot of info and ideas for making math games at home and great activities to teach concepts without spending a dime. I use LOTS of online math games and drills. I'm making a few board games to use as well. It's amazing how much real math kids can learn from "doing" and not sitting filling out an expensive workbook! I add in living math books from the library as well.

I use CM style LA, so narration,dictation,spelling, etc. come from our history and science books-- some spelling will come from their personal lists of frequently misspelled words. I can access Emma Serl's grammar book online for more LA and for composition. There are also compositon lessons incorporating grammar and other LA concepts in one of the Beechick books. Enough writing lessons to last a year, then they can be redone the next year on a higher and deeper level. I find MadLibs online and older dc do those for parts of speech review as well.

Phonics- I was a reviewer/test-driver for a phonics program so I have the set for free. But, there are plenty of phonics lessons in Beechick's A Home Start in Reading and it's very similar to the program I'm already using.

I get all our history and science books from the library. We're studying American History this year and I've written my own unit studies that include free art study and poetry related to the topic, websites with add'l info, booklist for the library, hands-on, recipes, science, experiements with lab sheets, LA activities, etc. all accessible for free or home made.

Latin/Greek-- we're going to focus on prefixes and suffixes this year. So, no curriculum needed. I just need to make a list and let them look it up in the dictionary, make some cards with the definition and add some words that use have the pre/suffix with their definitions.

Did I skip a subject? I think that's it.

As my dc get older, I don't know that I can do it for free, but I can get so much from the library that what we plan to use (HOD's newest guides) will be very affordable and only a one-time purchase that will go through 4 kids for each level.

ETA: You can access some of the Famous Men series on google books as well...there are MANY books there for free. We also get many DVD's from Netflix or watch instantly movies...we only pay $5 for that, so that's almost free.

HSing mom, this is so inspiring! Even though we have funds for homeschooling, I'm drawn to these methods as well. It just frees up more $$ for quality art supplies, more activities, and other equipment type stuff. We combine CM and the WTM and so far, I really haven't had to spend much $$ on curriculum. I bought an inexpensive b/w laser printer to print free stuff out cheaply, but even that I haven't needed to do as much as I originally thought.

I love everything you're doing here. These are great resources you listed- much better IMHO than "curriculum."

This is worth quoting a few more times:D

You really do need to write a book, link stuff to your webpage, etc...:iagree:

Between the free workbooks from the Glencoe Textbook company

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/georgia/student/languageart/assets/workbooks.html

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/georgia/student/mathematics/assets/workbooks.html

and the public library I don't think that I would need to buy curriculum for my DS' grade 7 year.

I did end up buying a used Lial's Basic College Math text, the Berlitz basic French workbook (new), and new grade level Canadian history and geography textbooks I've spent about $160 so far this year for my DS' grade 7 year (not counting printer paper, pencils, exercise books, ect).

A situation like this would be one that would benefit from outreach programs, church giveaways etc. There are usually charities that will give stuff to low income families. I would hope that would be available to anyone who wanted to homeschool, but felt too poor to do so. Also, a situation like this might view public school as a blessing. Low income families usually can get free lunch for their children and if you talk to the teachers, and resource centers at the public schools, they could assist with the school supplies. At least that is how it works here, and I live in a rural part of KY. Reading this post makes me truly see how blessed we are and not to complain so much about expense, but try to make a conscience effort to budget our money and not be so wasteful.

Hope that made sense..I'm a little under the weather...head is a little foggy.

I'll have to say we are in the low income bracket. My husband has been losing hours at work so we are just scraping by. I don't even have all of our school stuff right now so I'm just getting what I can off of the internet and using what I have at the moment.

One thing is for sure is I would never find our public school system a blessing. Ever. It is terrible and no matter what position we are in I will homeschool my children. I just find ways to make it work. And my third daughter is in a K12 cyberschool this year. I wanted to add my two other daughters but there is trouble right now with the school and I already have my two older daughters signed up for homeschooling so I'm not going to mess with it.

Edited by TracyR

That is amazing!

This is worth quoting a few more times:D

You really do need to write a book, link stuff to your webpage, etc...:iagree:

Thanks :001_smile: I have to say that online gives me the added benefit that no one can see how young I look...rarely does anyone listen to my advice in person! Glad that so many of you are encouraged by my little tips. It's boosting my ego (in a good way) and encouraging me to keep up what I'm doing. Thanks!

Oh, and I would love to link to my webpage, but I forgot that it's against board rules since I sell products of my own on there. (oddly, anyone else can post a link to my site though, just not me ;). So if anyone has been to it and likes what is on there so far, pass the word! There's plenty more to come!)

HSing mom, this is so inspiring! Even though we have funds for homeschooling, I'm drawn to these methods as well. It just frees up more $$ for quality art supplies, more activities, and other equipment type stuff. We combine CM and the WTM and so far, I really haven't had to spend much $$ on curriculum. I bought an inexpensive b/w laser printer to print free stuff out cheaply, but even that I haven't needed to do as much as I originally thought.

I love everything you're doing here. These are great resources you listed- much better IMHO than "curriculum."

If you'd like, (and if you her PK-3rd graders), I can send you the file I made of for the Beechick scope and sequence-- and it has a lot of math games and activities. I was going to put it on my site and link to it, but I can't do that due to board rules. I will gladly email it.

Thanks :001_smile: I have to say that online gives me the added benefit that no one can see how young I look...rarely does anyone listen to my advice in person! Glad that so many of you are encouraged by my little tips. It's boosting my ego (in a good way) and encouraging me to keep up what I'm doing. Thanks!

Oh, and I would love to link to my webpage, but I forgot that it's against board rules since I sell products of my own on there. (oddly, anyone else can post a link to my site though, just not me ;). So if anyone has been to it and likes what is on there so far, pass the word! There's plenty more to come!)

Put me on your PM list:D

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/28/1106850082774.html?oneclick=true

Wow. Found several references to it from various news sources around 2004 - 2005. Amazing story!

that was a very good article! Thanks!

That aside it illustrates my dh's opinion, which I am becoming a bigger and bigger champion of:

the cheapest thing you can do is to a) use what you already have and b) make sure you have quality materials

the cheapest thing you can do is to a) use what you already have and b) make sure you have quality materials

I think there's quite a bit of truth to that -- I find that if I have one book on a subject, then I may use it fairly extensively, but if I have, say, 10 books on a particular subject, I use none of them, or only very cursorily.