Menu

I Just Can't Believe The NERVE Of Some People! (Vent, Long)

This happened last night, and I'm still blown away.

I received a call from my sister in law. We haven't heard from her in FOUR YEARS.

Did I mention in the time between she's bragged to another sib that we are close with that she's a crack user? Yeah. :glare: As recently as a few months ago.

So, she calls last night. She wanted Wolf to come pick her up and drive her to see Grandpa. Wolf had already left, and I told her so. She asked for his cell #, and I told her he didn't have one. She didn't believe me. She then asked for the phone number of the hospital, and I told her I didn't have it, which I don't. So, rather than saying she'll look it up herself, she tells me to have him call her.

After I'm in bed, sleeping, the phone rings. Its Wolf's uncle who gave SIL our phone number. He wants Wolf's cell phone #, and isn't too pleasant with me. I tell him Wolf doesn't have one. He grunts, asks if Wolf would be at the hospital by now, and decides to call him there.

Understand something...SIL lives about two hours OPPOSITE from where Grandpa is. She wants (and Uncle too) Wolf to come pick her up, turn around, and drive to Grandpa. This after no contact for four years. I'm just blown away by the nerve of her.

I can't see this going well. Wolf and I have a solid agreement. No drug users in our home. Every time M would visit, something of mine would go missing. Money, nail polish, fancy hair clips, then my earrings. Wolf didn't believe at first it could be his sister, and thought I'd just misplaced things. Realizing on his way home from a visit with Grandpa and she was there, and that she was wearing the earrings he'd bought me just brought everything crashing down. She wanted our address so she could 'stop in for coffee' and I sidestepped, telling her I wouldn't be home this evening.

Apparently, she's wanting Wolf to pick her up because her boyfriend of the moment has to work, and can't afford the time off to drive her. Huh. Our family can't really afford Wolf to take the time off he's taking, or the meals out, or the gas money, but we're dang well doing it. Heaven forbid that SIL has to *gasp* sacrifice anything.

SIL blames me for losing her relationship with Wolf. She also was very blunt in telling Wolf that she didn't want him marrying outside their race, and refused to attend our wedding. Uncle is suspicious of me, partly because of whats gone on with SIL, and also because I'm not First Nations.

I hate this situation. There's more than enough for Wolf to deal with, sitting at his Grandfather's side, wondering if each breath is the last, without his crack head sister causing problems. :banghead:

With Wolf's permission, I'd head this route:

The next time she or someone calls on her behalf say, "This time is difficult enough for all of us. Please stop making it Wolf's responsibility to get you to your Grandfather. We haven't had any contact in 4 years, now is not the time to start again. Please stop calling. I wish you well." HANG UP.

Then use your phone company's services and block the number.

Encourage Wolf to hang up if she, or someone on her behalf, calls the hospital. He really should tell her NO, too. "I am not in the position to pick you up. I'm sorry I can't help."

Repeat each sentence over and over and over and over and over again. The trap comes in getting into the conversation. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Could it just be she'd like to say goodbye too?

Even if that's the case, it's not Wolf's responsibility to get her there, nor should Imp be imposed by a stranger (no contact in 4 years makes a stranger) who has voiced such unkindness about their marriage.

The truth sets you free, Imp. I know it's hard, but anytime you can clearly define boundaries, it will avoid confrontation. If confrontation continues, you simply move away from boundaries to straight cutting off. :grouphug:

Could it just be she'd like to say goodbye too?

Yes, certainly. However, to call us, after not talking for four years and demand that Wolf comes and gets her is nuts.

Picture us in the middle. SIL is 2 hrs to the east from us. Grandpa is 2 hrs to the west. Its not a little bit out of the way, its grossly out of the way.

If she wants to see Grandpa, and its really important to her, then she'd get her boy of the month to take the time off work and drive her there.

I think life is trying to tell you something, because there is a pattern of people trying to walk all over you, one thing after another. Time to get strong and learn to say no so you can break the pattern. Its not happening by mistake, its happening because you let it.

If she wants to see Grandpa, and its really important to her, then she'd get her boy of the month to take the time off work and drive her there.

Why can't she drive herself? If she doesn't have a car, I'm sure boyfriend can loan her his and hitch a ride with someone just this once! Or take a cab.

Also, I sure hope Wolf confronted her when he saw YOUR earrings, that he knew to be missing, on his sister!

Impish, you have to do what you think is right for your family. This is just my opinion...

Based on what I've read you post lately, you're striving to be the wife God wants you to be. And, I've been very inspiried by your journey so far.

So, in light of that, I'll just say what is on my heart.

(Gently here)...

I understand your frustration. I really do. But try to put your feelings aside, and take it to the Lord. What would he have you do? Perhaps the most loving thing is for Wolf to go get his sister so she can say goodbye to Grandpa, too. I know it's not fair, and that she doesn't deserve it. But if I always got what I deserved, I'd have been thrown into the lake of fire long ago, ya know? The Word says, if someone forces you to go one mile with them, go two miles willingly. So, take this opportunity to go the second mile, just to glorify the Lord.

Of course I understand about not having a drug addict in your home or around your children. But if it's just Wolf and his sister at the hospital with Grandpa, what would be the harm in that? Yes, it would put you and Wolf out. Yes, it would be an extra burden at this time when you have enough burden. But maybe it would be a good testimony to your sil, showing the love of Christ?

Please understand, I'm not trying to put guilt or condemnation on you during what is already a trying time. Just trying to encourage a sister in the Lord to act with grace and in all humbleness. Whatever you decide, many blessings and prayers to you and your family.

ETA: Ok, I just went and read the other replies, and it appears I'm in the minority. I'm not saying my position would be easy for me to do, or that I would want to, either. Just trying to encourage you. :)

Edited by bethanyniez
clarification

My impression is Wolf is at the hospital for Grandpa's benefit. Wolf's sister seems to be the type who wants to be at the hospital for her own benefit. Wolf driving an additional 4 hours to get sis to go to the hospital with him will mean 4 less hours Grandpa has someone with him.

Tell sis to rent a car.

My impression is Wolf is at the hospital for Grandpa's benefit. Wolf's sister seems to be the type who wants to be at the hospital for her own benefit. Wolf driving an additional 4 hours to get sis to go to the hospital with him will mean 4 less hours Grandpa has someone with him.

Tell sis to rent a car.

Bingo. That's exactly right. She couldn't even bother to look up the phone number of the hospital. Since I didn't have it on hand, and didn't offer to find it for her, she dropped the idea of calling Wolf at the hospital, and just to have him call her when I heard from him. Now, *how* he'd call her when she's long distance from the hospital is beyond me...I don't think cell phones allow long distance collect calls.

I really recommend you read the Boundaries books by Cloud and Townsend. Your priority is your husband and children.... you're wise to draw the line about there being no 'impaired' people at your house and around your little ones. The sister seems manipulative - maybe she learned it from her mom? Support your hubby to continue to honor his grandpa. I think you're on the right track and you're honoring the Lord.

I agree with Bethany. Though I think the SIL's behavior atrocious at best and can't STAND people not taking responsibility, I can't imagine not doing this act of kindness.

I could go through all the issues with doing so, but I still would do it. I would have searched for the number, called hubby, called SIL back, etc...whatever was necessary to help her though she wasn't, imo, doing enough to help herself.

Jesus, several times, went out of his way to help undeserving people. Doing so sometimes helped save people's lives. Other times I'm sure it didn't. That isn't to say I'd suggest going that direction EVERY time, but definitely for certain things and Grandfather dying is definitely one of those times, imo.

oh, I remember the days WELL when my mother or father would be in the hospital and I couldn't focus on them, I'd have to focus on deterring a major blowout between or with mentally ill siblings. I'm so sorry my parents are gone, but I'm SO glad I won't have to deal with THAT anymore. I told my father last time that I would get social services involved if it came to that again. The fighting stopped.

I hope that Wolf does NOT feel obligated to go get his sister. I can't imagine asking someone to drive 4 hours (and how would she get home?), especially someone you're not close to. I fear that things would be tense around Grandpa, and this time should be ALL about HIM, his COMFORT, and his well being - meaning PEACE. If she really wants to see him, she'll get there. Why can't uncle drive her?

I'm so sorry for this situation. I'm also sorry for how dysfunctional your family is. I'm praying for Wolf to have the widsom and desire to put up protective boundaries around your family. My dh is VERY protective of us, but it didn't happen until we were married 10 years or so (boundaries with family)

How is Grandpa?

:grouphug::grouphug:

Impish, you have to do what you think is right for your family. This is just my opinion...

Based on what I've read you post lately, you're striving to be the wife God wants you to be. And, I've been very inspiried by your journey so far.

So, in light of that, I'll just say what is on my heart.

(Gently here)...

I understand your frustration. I really do. But try to put your feelings aside, and take it to the Lord. What would he have you do? Perhaps the most loving thing is for Wolf to go get his sister so she can say goodbye to Grandpa, too. I know it's not fair, and that she doesn't deserve it. But if I always got what I deserved, I'd have been thrown into the lake of fire long ago, ya know? The Word says, if someone forces you to go one mile with them, go two miles willingly. So, take this opportunity to go the second mile, just to glorify the Lord.

Of course I understand about not having a drug addict in your home or around your children. But if it's just Wolf and his sister at the hospital with Grandpa, what would be the harm in that? Yes, it would put you and Wolf out. Yes, it would be an extra burden at this time when you have enough burden. But maybe it would be a good testimony to your sil, showing the love of Christ?

Please understand, I'm not trying to put guilt or condemnation on you during what is already a trying time. Just trying to encourage a sister in the Lord to act with grace and in all humbleness. Whatever you decide, many blessings and prayers to you and your family.

ETA: Ok, I just went and read the other replies, and it appears I'm in the minority. I'm not saying my position would be easy for me to do, or that I would want to, either. Just trying to encourage you. :)

:iagree:

The phone number thing: I guess I'm in the mindset of, "If its important to you, you'd find it yourself" There's only one hospital in the city that Grandpa's in, and it even has the name of the city in its name. Really, not a hard thing to find. That she's lazy enough to not bother, and just ask for Wolf to call her, to me, speaks very loudly.

Last I'd heard from Wolf on his sister was that he wanted nothing at all to do with her. I'm not going to go against that. This woman lives for drama, as far as I can tell. She caused so many arguments btwn Wolf and I, its just not funny. It took us a while to figure out that she was deliberately attempting to sabotage our marriage. She'd go crying to Wolf that I'd said or done something offensive, or she'd be whispering in his ear about how I was disrespecting their culture by saying or doing something. She was supposed to get married at one point, asked Wolf to give her away...and then told him that I wasn't welcome, that other family members would be very upset with my presence, because I was white. :blink:

Before I came along, she was the one woman he was close to. He'd go running every time she called. That changed when I came on the scene.

Denise, I haven't heard from Wolf yet today. I'm going with the 'no news is good news' idea. I know he'll call if something happens.

ETA: I just did mapquest. I'm wrong, she's not two hours away. Its three.

Edited by Impish

If your dh had been home, you would have given him the phone. If he had a cell phone, you would have given her the number. The person calling has a history of mistreating you, your dh, and is known to be unstable. I probably would have done the same.

Each person is responsible for their own life and actions. Your SIL has chosen to alienate you and your dh at every turn. Now, in her time of need, her actions have come home to roost. I would say she is sitting down to dine on a banquet of natural consequences--and the taste may be bitter indeed. Why does she not have her own transportation? Are there no buses in her area? Because she has hurt those who could have helped her, now she is left with her boyfriend or other remaining friends for help in times of trouble. That was her choice. If they are not reliable, then perhaps she will learn to pick better friends.

It is between you and God as to whether you feel called to extend the hand of kindness to such a person. God may know she is a snake and may not give you a sense of peace about getting involved with her if He knows she will just cause more trouble. Or He may give you a softening of the heart and direct you to help her. Which ever way He leads, this is between you and Him, not you and her. She is a user who has demonstrated hostility toward you and your dh. The fact is that you owe her nothing. Perhaps this is meant to be a very tragic but powerful lesson for her to learn that one can't treat people terribly, ignore them for years, and then expect them to help whevever summoned.

Regarding the First Nations thing, racism is ugly no matter which colors are involved. Recognize her for the racist she is and move on with life. Your dh needs you now, as do your children, and perhaps other grieving relatives. Turn your focus on helping them honor their Grandfather and dealing with their own grief.

If your dh had been home, you would have given him the phone. If he had a cell phone, you would have given her the number. The person calling has a history of mistreating you, your dh, and is known to be unstable. I probably would have done the same.

Each person is responsible for their own life and actions. Your SIL has chosen to alienate you and your dh at every turn. Now, in her time of need, her actions have come home to roost. I would say she is sitting down to dine on a banquet of natural consequences--and the taste may be bitter indeed. Why does she not have her own transportation? Are there no buses in her area? Because she has hurt those who could have helped her, now she is left with her boyfriend or other remaining friends for help in times of trouble. That was her choice. If they are not reliable, then perhaps she will learn to pick better friends.

It is between you and God as to whether you feel called to extend the hand of kindness to such a person. God may know she is a snake and may not give you a sense of peace about getting involved with her if He knows she will just cause more trouble. Or He may give you a softening of the heart and direct you to help her. Which ever way He leads, this is between you and Him, not you and her. She is a user who has demonstrated hostility toward you and your dh. The fact is that you owe her nothing. Perhaps this is meant to be a very tragic but powerful lesson for her to learn that one can't treat people terribly, ignore them for years, and then expect them to help whevever summoned.

Regarding the First Nations thing, racism is ugly no matter which colors are involved. Recognize her for the racist she is and move on with life. Your dh needs you now, as do your children, and perhaps other grieving relatives. Turn your focus on helping them honor their Grandfather and dealing with their own grief.

:iagree: Particularly, the bolded part. There is definitely a time for grace and mercy, but there is also a time to stand firm and gird your loins with truth. It is Not your problem she can't get to Grandpa. If you had the resources (2nd car, money), I'd encourage you to help her...but you don't, so you are not bound to Create A Situation Of Reconciliation according to her whim, your guilt, or a desire to do good works. The Good Samaritan was walking along (our daily life) and helped someone a)put in front of him for which he b)had the means to help. She has been a)out of your life, def. not in your daily walk and b)you do not have the means. Imo, her drug addiction is irrelevant in this situation and totally relevant for not letting her in your home.

:grouphug:

Thank you. Wolf himself has said more than once that his sister uses people up, and discards them as soon as they won't allow her to use them anymore, or they simply can't do what she wants.

The racism, combined with the constant, "If she were a First Nations wife, she would/wouldn't do...." She even demanded keys to our home, saying its First Nations culture to not have locked doors btwn family!

I'm praying for both Grandpa and my husband. The last thing he needs right now is his sister causing trouble. I've no doubt that the innocent convo we had last night will be retold in a completely screwed up way that makes me look like a complete jerk. Its happened plenty of times before. That the uncle called and asked for his cell # tells me that she went running to him, saying that I refused to give her the number. No doubt the fact that he called at almost 11 pm and woke me up will be more fuel for the fire, since I doubt I was in my most friendly and social frame of mind, and it was probably evident in my tone (I was polite, but it was obvious he woke me, and he even asked if he had) He didn't seem to believe me when I told him that Wolf doesn't have a cell. Heck, I wish he did! I'd love to be able to call and find out how he's doing, and how Grandpa is.

I wish like heck that the uncle hadn't given out our number!

good boundaries make healthy relationships.

decide now how you will handle the next phone call. then do it pleasantly. if she is an addict, and was under the influence the last time you spoke, she may not even remember. or she might, but not accurately. i'd vote for pleasant, firm on the boundaries, and reflective listening. also a timer you can set that goes off a few minutes in and allows you to say "oops, there goes the timer. must dash". as it appears that she will have trouble setting boundaries, you will need to. just look at all the practice you're getting! (sigh....)

The next time she pulls the "First Nation families or First Nation wives..." ask her if First Nation families and wives are all drug addicts and abuse their families, since that's the example she shows you.

I know that's not the case, but you see my point, right? Use Her words right back at her. A counselor taught me that while discussing how to deal my dh's pearly family!

Then tell her, you're not First Nation, your white and Wolf married you for you. grrrrr she's revin' up some memories for me...sounds Just. Like. my SIL...grrrrr

And that is, what does Grandpa want?

Is he dying?

Does he want to see everyone in his family before he does?

SIL a jerk or not, I would take his wishes into account as well. I would think about trying to honor them in some fashion.

ETA--Now I see your other posts about Grandpa. I am so sorry. And, although I would probably try to help SIL, I wouldn't do it by leaving his side, under any circumstances whatsoever. right now.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
ETA

Ya, btdt. Only, it was my cousin after 4-5 months of not speaking, and out of the blue she wanted me to help her plan her son's 1st birthday party.

Read: he turns 1 on the 24th and i won't have my check by then and i'm broke because i bought drugs and alcohol with the money instead of spending it on him and will you PAY for the party the relatives are expecting?

HA. Not. Nope. Tried to help you get on your feet, you threw it back at us.... not being your friend to pay for the party because you are doing drugs. Not gunna happen.

I'm sorry you are in the middle of all this.... :grouphug:

What a sucky situation Impish. It seems handled now. I hope everything goes as well as possible for you and yours.

The only thing I can think to add to all this is, in the end, you only have to answer for yourself. Try to make sure that you don't do anything you will regret (or be ashamed of) later.

That's not to say you should have rushed off to cart her here there and everywhere, or that you should pack all your valuables and drop them off at her house. What I'm trying to say is, only YOU know what the nagging voice in the back of your head is saying, only YOU know how YOU really think you should handle this. Do what you think is right (really right, not right right now, iykwIm).

Either way, I still think you're great :)

Impish, I know this is off your original topic, but I was wondering why your posts are always in bold print. I find it hard to read and makes your message seem even more emotion filled and stressful. Forgive me if this has been addressed before.

With regard to your family issues, you have been given some good advice here. I wish you and your family well.

Sue, I've always used bold font since being on the 'net. A habit, and I've tried not bolding, but it just didn't feel like me.

I just talked to Wolf. I told him about his sister calling. Apparently, his uncle already tried to get him to go get her. He explained to his uncle about her stealing from us, etc, and that we haven't had anything to do with her in years. When I told him where she lives, and that she wants a ride, he said that "She can d**n well find her own way up.", then suggested she could bite a part of his anatomy.

Grandpa is most certainly in his last hours. He's talking to people who have died, and speaking in Cree. No way on the planet would Wolf leave him now. Grandpa's told Wolf before that he's the one person he can really count on. He told us last night, "I love my people. But they never come." Wolf asked him if he meant his family, and Grandpa nodded, looked at us all standing around his bed, and said, "But you come. Thank you." :crying: How sad is that?

The woman can take the bus, for crying out loud. If Wolf is feeling EXTRA charitable, he could pay for part of the bus ticket (and actually spend it on the ticket, not give her the money directly).

The grandpa could pass at any time, but you think Wolf should take an additional four hours out of that time to pick up his druggie sister and drive her all over Kingdom Come? "Sorry, Impish, I went to pick up Sis and wasn't there for Grandpa's passing. Oh well."

Sometimes doing the godly thing means saying "NO."

Sue, I've always used bold font since being on the 'net. A habit, and I've tried not bolding, but it just didn't feel like me.

I just talked to Wolf. I told him about his sister calling. Apparently, his uncle already tried to get him to go get her. He explained to his uncle about her stealing from us, etc, and that we haven't had anything to do with her in years. When I told him where she lives, and that she wants a ride, he said that "She can d**n well find her own way up.", then suggested she could bite a part of his anatomy.

Grandpa is most certainly in his last hours. He's talking to people who have died, and speaking in Cree. No way on the planet would Wolf leave him now. Grandpa's told Wolf before that he's the one person he can really count on. He told us last night, "I love my people. But they never come." Wolf asked him if he meant his family, and Grandpa nodded, looked at us all standing around his bed, and said, "But you come. Thank you." :crying: How sad is that?

Then your issue is solved. :001_smile:

I think Grandpa already knows what's up and there is no need to worry 'bout a thing.

3 cheers for Wolf for standing up! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

and I'm so glad that you have not only honored your husband, but also that the entire family has honored Grandpa. Nicely done, sister.

The woman can take the bus, for crying out loud. If Wolf is feeling EXTRA charitable, he could pay for part of the bus ticket (and actually spend it on the ticket, not give her the money directly).

The grandpa could pass at any time, but you think Wolf should take an additional four hours out of that time to pick up his druggie sister and drive her all over Kingdom Come? "Sorry, Impish, I went to pick up Sis and wasn't there for Grandpa's passing. Oh well."

Thank you. Not to mention, it wouldn't be 'just' four hours. From where he's at right now, it would be 12 hrs, round trip. And from how Grandpa sounds, I honestly don't think he has that kind of time.

I'm so proud of my husband. He's never been in this situation before at all. His bmom died before he decided to search, and we found his bdad a few months after his death. His grandfather means so much to him...he's the first person in Wolf's experience that simply opened his arms and heart, loved him unconditionally, just for being who he was.

The racism, combined with the constant, "If she were a First Nations wife, she would/wouldn't do...." She even demanded keys to our home, saying its First Nations culture to not have locked doors btwn family!

First Nations are supposed to show hospitality, not make racist comments. First Nations don't steal from family or their brothers' wives. First Nations are supposed to act with the good of tribe in mind, not running our lives into the ground on crack.

You are acting as the wife of a Cree should. You are backing up your husband and keeping your home sacred and pure.

From your sister,

Another Native American ;)

:iagree:

First Nations are supposed to show hospitality, not make racist comments. First Nations don't steal from family or their brothers' wives. First Nations are supposed to act with the good of tribe in mind, not running our lives into the ground on crack.

You are acting as the wife of a Cree should. You are backing up your husband and keeping your home sacred and pure.

From your sister,

Another Native American ;)

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much your words mean to me. :grouphug: