Menu

Looking for a helpful secular liberal or two

I am tring to make a peace offering to my sister.

We are both expecting a little boys this fall, so I though I would get her a collection of picture books she could read with her new son. BUT I am worried that she might be offended by some of my choices SOooo.

I was hope a secular liberal or two might be willing to look over the list and see it any of my choices might be offensive.

My sister is very liberal and very secular and she has a very non-traditional lifestyle.

I would really like to not offend her. I would rather change the books.

I got all the books off the Caldecott medal winners list.

A story, A story - Gail E. Haley

White Snow, Bright Snow - Alvin Tresselt

Blueberries for Sal- Robert McCloskey

Hey, Al - Arthur Yorinks

Black and White - David Mcaulay

One Fine Day - Nonny Hogrogian

Sam, Bangs & Moonshine - Evaline Ness

May I bring a Friend? - Beatrice de Regniers

A tree Is Nice - Janice may Udry

Once a Mouse - Marcia Brown

Tuesday - David Wiesner

My friend rabbit - Eric Rohmann

Ox Cart Man - Donald Hall

Always room for one more - Sorche Nic Lesodhas

the Little Island- Golden MacDonald

Those look lovely. Some fav books I give as gifts are:

More More More said the Baby!

Goodnight Moon

The Napping House

Good Night, Gorilla

Ten Minutes Until Bedtime

Make Way For Ducklings

The Mitten

Annie and the Wild Animals

I could go on, lol, but I'll leave it at this: anything by Shirley Hughes, especially any Alfie book.

I am not sure what you mean by her lifestyle. Is she is gay? One of my fav picture books of all time is Everywhere Babies! It shows babies of every ethncity being loved and cared for. There are wonderful drawings of babies in front-packs, backpacks, slings, strollers, and who are having bottles, nursing etc etc. There is even a cute drawing of two women lwith a baby looking absolutely exhausted. It's such a real depiction. I chuckle every-time. You can see it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Everywhere-Babies-Susan-Meyers/dp/0152022260#reader

Edited by LibraryLover

I admire your intent!

If you want to give some books that a secular liberal might really appreciate, one to look at would be "Old Turtle." It's a beautiful book about environmentalism, but very liberal. My DH bought it when DD was very young, and I didn't read it to her because I was concerned about it theologically, but I liked it for myself.

The list looks great to me although I'm not familiar with a couple of those.

I'm secular/liberal, and it would be hard to offend me with any book, unless you were clearly trying to mock my beliefs or lifestyle. I think you're fine.

Me, too. I would also add the entire Sandra Boynton collection. We had so much fun with those when my kids were tiny. I think I can still recite them from memory (they probably can, too).

My absolute favorite for real littles is On the Day You Were Born. I weep every time I read it, and it is one of my favorite gifts for new parents.

What about Dr Seuss? Fox in Socks. Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop books. My son loved them. They rhyme have funny illustrations for little eyes and are easy to read... plus can be great for early reading programs when school days arrive.

DS loved any books about wheels when he was just a tiny little thing. He loved the pictures and one of his first words was wheels b/c of one of those little readers. So funny.

I'm secular/liberal, and it would be hard to offend me with any book, unless you were clearly trying to mock my beliefs or lifestyle. I think you're fine.

:iagree: I'm secular/liberal and those books look nice. It's nice that you take her beliefs into consideration - lots of the gift books we got at first were My First Book of Prayers, etc., and even that didn't offend me... Your list looks great!

My thoughts exactly, Perry.

astrid

OK, I'll show my stupidity and admit I've only read "Blueberries for Sal." Soooo, not being familiar with the other selections, I may be saying something that is obviously unnecessary...

Your OP seemed to focus on you two having boys and reading to her son. If you were trying to choose books with boys in them, "Sal" is a girl. If you were just looking for quality lit., B for S doesn't offend this secular liberal.

Best of luck with your peace offering. :)

How about Everywhere Babies? It's about as liberal as you can get where it concerns children's books.

I'm a Christian Liberal- oxymoron right? I am a professional librarian, and I'd be pleased as pie to receive any of those books. I agree- it is less about agenda.

You could also look into ALA recommended books on their website.

Me, too. I would also add the entire Sandra Boynton collection. We had so much fun with those when my kids were tiny. I think I can still recite them from memory (they probably can, too).

Oo, oo, oo! I have to second these. Every single one of them is goofy fun-ness! We had an audio tape (it was a while ago!) with songs of the books. Fun, fun, fun!

Ditto to Boynton. We checked her song book out of the library 2 years ago- Philadelphia Chickens, and DH requested I go back and get it this past weekend. My DD is 3 and can "read" the books herself. We've had to buy many copies of Moo, Baa, La La La because she carried it everywhere and lost it several times.

... "Old Turtle." It's a beautiful book about environmentalism, but very liberal.

I tend to identify with Joel Salatin's description of himself, "Christian-libertarian-environmentalist-lunatic farmer" (well, everything but the "farmer" part :D ), and Old Turtle is one of our favorites, too.

We always give books as baby gifts. Some of our favorites are:

The Story of Little Babaji

Goodnight Moon

Guess How Much I Love You

or anything by Dr. Suess or Eric Carle

I second the recommendation for "Guess How Much I Love You". Other hits in my house that haven't been mentioned are:

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Stone Soup by Jon Muth

Kiss Goodnight by Amy Hest

On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman (different from the other book recommended with the similar title)

The Little Engine that Could by Watty Piper

"Grandfather Twilight" is one of our all time favorite books

http://www.bhberger.com/children/books/bks_gt.htm

Of the books you listed, we liked The Ox Cart Man and we have loved all of Gail Haley's books. I haven't read the others.

The Boynton books are wonderful as well. I know it's popular, but "Love You Forever" has always struck me as really creepy (and not in a good way).

"Grandfather Twilight" is one of our all time favorite books

http://www.bhberger.com/children/books/bks_gt.htm

Of the books you listed, we liked The Ox Cart Man and we have loved all of Gail Haley's books. I haven't read the others.

The Boynton books are wonderful as well. I know it's popular, but "Love You Forever" has always struck me as really creepy (and not in a good way).

I am delighted to see someone else loves Grandfather Twilight it is a beautiful book.:iagree:

Your list seems for older more pre-k, K and 1st graders. Which is fine especially if your are trying to give a keepsake book. You might want to include a book or two for younger kids. We always read books about various animals going to sleep and books with pictures of babies more than any other type of book for the first 1 years or so. There are also books made out of cloth that are great for babies.

...that I give OFTEN is "Grandpa Bear's Fantastic Scarf." It is about how your life is a combination of your experiences, what you have inherited (traits) from your family, and your choices. It makes this case through a gorgeously illustrated picture book that shows a beloved grandfather bear teaching his grandson how to weave a scarf that represents his life. This book originally caught my eye because I have been a weaver, but I keep giving it because it is so beautiful and true in every way.

The books are not offensive. I agree with OrganicAnn. If your goal is start your nephew's personal library, the books are great. If you are looking for read aloud books for a baby or toddler, these are not good choices.

Some favorites in our house have been Freight train (Donald Crews), Babies (Gyo Fugikawa), the Going to Bed Book (Sandra Boynton), Goodnight Moon (Margaret Wise Brown) , and the Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle). All of these are available in board book versions.

Nope, not in my book! I do not believe that the two are mutually exclusive. I'm right there with ya!

astrid

Yes. There is a world of difference between Worshipping Christ and following the actual teachings of Jesus.

In fact, there is a book by a liberal Pastor entitled Saving Jesus from The Church. Absolutely worth a read.

http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061568213

"Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch is an absolute must have. Each of my babies had a copy bought for them before they were born, and I wrote inside the front cover when they were a day or two old. I love him as an author, and most of his books are wonderful, and hilarious...I've yet to get sick of having to reread one of his books for the 10,000,000 time.

Count me too! :)

You would probably really enjoy Saving Jesus from The Church. The author speaks of following the path of Jesus' love, not the fundamentalist dogma that has been rewritten by man. A Christianity were one doesn't have to hold up dead fetus signs, burn heretics at the stake, can see Evolution as the How, and not the Why, or worry about hating the sin while you say you love the gay 'sinner'. It's enough to make one weep with hope.

Edited by LibraryLover