Menu

Microwaves

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

entire article here

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm

If you don't like Dr. Mercola, research the researchers mentined in the article.

PS - taking a board break. see ya later alligators.

Edited by Karen sn

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

So, are we permantly damaged...memory, concentration, decrease in intelligence? Kinda wierd...since I quit working 2 years ago and now stay home with my kids, I use the microwave alot more. I have a Chemical Engineering degree and have had lots of issues with concentration and memory loss. I also feel like I am not as smart as I once was. Hmmm...microwave damage or just not enough mental stimulation at home?

Is the conclusion a true causation or is it a correlation? Do ALL foods, even homemade, chemical free, healthy foods causing the same effect as frozen dinners? Perhaps this finding is something that seems to occur with people who eat mostly pre-packaged foods, designed to be heated and cooked by the microwave, not just heating up last nights freshly made dinner.

you forgot to mention the plastic containers used for most microwaved food. :)

We threw it out several years back and after that first week of adjustment we never missed it. A toaster oven works just fine. We found smaller glass casseroles at Goodwill. Actually we found it cut down on dishes too because we use so few plastic containers now.

Most people will think you're crazy to do it. Never mind them. :D

So, on practical terms, how would you reheat what I was about to go down and do in the microwave: I have some leftover enchilada chicken in a container in the fridge, and need to put it in a tortilla with some cheddar cheese and heat the whole thing to warm it and melt the cheese. I only need a serving for myself, so don't want to heat the whole container of chicken. Would you put the whole thing in the oven? If that's the case, I probably do need a toaster oven, as it would take at least 20 minutes, I bet, to heat the oven and have it heat the enchilada all the way through (vs 45 seconds in the microwave).

Actually, I've discovered that things don't take as long to re-heat in the oven as I thought they would. Ok, a bit more than 45 seconds, but certainly not 20 mins. for one serve. :) Maybe you could heat the chicken in a saucepan, then pop the whole tortilla/cheese under the grill to melt the cheese. I just find I have to think ahead a little more, but it's definitely worth it.

We ditched our microwave many years ago for potential health reasons. You get used to warming foods up on the stove top or in the oven like others have long before microwaves were around. I do like our little toaster oven for quick warm ups of small portions. :001_smile:

But my microwave just sang "Happy Birthday" to me three times in the last hour during a thunderstorm. :D

It's become like part of the family. How can I just toss it out on the street? :confused:

that thing is still talking, eh? :lol: Tell it to be more useful and let you know what the next lotto numbers are LOL

But my microwave just sang "Happy Birthday" to me three times in the last hour during a thunderstorm. :D

It's become like part of the family. How can I just toss it out on the street? :confused:

You can't get rid of your microwave! It is clearly special. :tongue_smilie:

I don't really believe everything on Mercola and I doubt microwaves are really that bad for us.

That being said, I don't own a microwave and I don't really see why anyone would want one. It's just another gadget and item for the landfill.

I reheat leftovers in a pot or in the oven. Pretty much everything reheats well and pretty quickly on top of the stove.

I make popcorn in a pot it is waaaay better than microwave popcorn and just about as easy. If I have a cup of coffee that I want to reheat, I just warm it in a pot.

I had a microwave because it came with the house (mounted over the stove) and I never used it. My dh use to use it sometimes but then one day, he went to use it and it broke so we didn't replace it and he said he doesn't even miss it. We put in a nice exhaust fan hood over the stove. :w00t:

Does anyone in the house happen to have a birthday? Because you know, that would certainly be suspicious. Anyhow, my microwave has received the message and is back in working order. Now, does your microwave talk to dryers? :)

I try to avoid the microwave. I avoided it altogether for a while. I typically use it for foods that aren't nutrient dense anyway (hotdogs, soymilk, or something to replace a fast food meal). I have been using it almost everyday lately... to heat my milk before I add cacao powder. Now I am rethinking that.

About popcorn, it is the last thing that I microwave:

In 2006, concerns were raised about the levels of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA, a chemical related to Teflon) in popcorn bags. The high temperatures used in popping popcorn may facilitate the transfer of the chemical, which is carcinogenic in lab animals, into the popcorn oil. DuPont has agreed to eliminate almost all use of the chemical by 2015.[1]

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We had 3 microwaves die within a little over a year so I just started heating things up the old fashioned way. Most leftovers heat up well in a small pan with a little water or broth, this only takes 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I use the toaster oven or I put a variety of things in the oven on low for 20 minutes or so. With pasta I usually heat the sauce up in a pan and run hot water over the noodles then let them soak in the hot water for a few minutes.

I don't know why our microwaves kept kicking-off, possibly because of cooking potatoes that did not have enough moisture but after I refused to buy another one I just got used to heating things up in different ways. It's not as big of a hassle as one would imagine.

I can't say that I know much about the microwave/health issues other than what was posted and similar things that I have read about over the years.

I've knon this all along....didn't have a microwave for some time....got one for convenience sake...especially one DH got diagnosed with celiacs....making two meals is no fun!

Microwave litterally just blew up last week! Didn't use it much anyway..especially with the food the kids ate!

Coincidence?...there are no coincidences!

Here's an article that presents the other side of the story. Not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's wise to consider all the evidence. I'm not convinced that microwave ovens are harmful.

I am confused.

Does anyone really believe that nuking plastic wrap is OK just because there are no more phalates in it?

And did you know that you are not supposed to open it right away?

So many people just hit the open bar while it is still running.

There are still particles bouncing around!

Microwaves change the energy of your food by the very way in which they are designed to work.

And something tells me that microwave cooking was discovered by accident - much the same way that artificial sweetners and teflon for cooking were.

But it is interesting to read "the other side" so thank you.

Just because you microwave popcorn, doesn't mean you use those nasty bags. :001_smile: This is what I use. You can buy it at Target, KMart, WalMart, etc. It makes awesome popcorn.

Do you know you can also pop it in a brown paper bag? Toss the kernels in a little oil, add to bag, 2 staples in bag and pop in microwave.

Most people who talk about popping popcorn in microwave are talking about the product: Microwave Popcorn in those nasty bags.

I still prefer the pot method (not that I have a choice unless I buy a new MW). A little oil in a pot, kernels, medium heat, lid, 3-4 minutes, add salt= yummy popcorn. But I also have a pot to wash.

partly as the next step in our plan to continue cleaning up our diet and our home (yes, and those icky plastic containers cannot be a good thing).

And, b/c it simply took up too much counter space!

RESULT: meal time is much less frenetic as I am not m/waving three plates of food in rapid succession. Everything is being warmed on the stove or in the oven, the kids can no longer identify somethng as a leftover as it seems to taste much better (relative, I think), and we seem to be having less hectic lunches as everyone is called to the kitchen at the same time.

We entertain quite a bit and it has not made a bit of difference -- I guess that if I am cooking for guests, I am really cooking and not micro-waving.

I have had to use a little bit of forethought as things do need to be defrosted ahead of time -- that also has not proven to be an issue.

I have had to get accustomed to actually BOILING water for things like tea and MEDIFAST hot cocoa (my guilty pleasure), but all in all, it has been a very positive change for our family.

Next thing to get kicked to the curb: The cable box and remote control!

I have had to use a little bit of forethought as things do need to be defrosted ahead of time -- that also has not proven to be an issue.

Certain things can be defrosted very quickly in water. For example, if I have ground beef that I need NOW, I make sure it's wrapped tightly, and drop it in a cool bowl of water. It defrosts in about 20 minutes (well, enough for me to break it up)

I'm not convinced that microwave ovens are harmful.

I'm not convinced they're harmful either. But I'm also not convinced they're safe. We've been without one for seven years or so now, and I can't say that I miss it at all.

I will occasionally use a microwave at someone else's home, so I'm not completely paranoid about them. But I don't choose to have one in my home. Just one less thing to worry about. :)

Here's an article that presents the other side of the story. Not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's wise to consider all the evidence. I'm not convinced that microwave ovens are harmful.
Thanks for the link! I was hoping to read both sides of this discussion.
And something tells me that microwave cooking was discovered by accident - much the same way that artificial sweetners and teflon for cooking were.
Yes, I think they were discovered when RADAR engineers noticed the warming sensation they got from standing in front of the transmitter. :eek: When I used to design RADAR equipment, I heard a story of an Air Force technician who died one night after eating his lunch in front of an aircraft on the ground while RADAR testing was being done. That testing was SUPPOSED to be done with the transmitter switched into a load instead of the antenna, but apparently someone made a mistake. The belief was that the RADAR cooked his liver. I have no way to verify this story one way or the other, but it certainly does not seem unreasonable.

Here is one comment about the pro-microwave article:

Forget the charges floating around the Internet. The "evidence" that microwaved foods cause cancer boils down to Hans Hertel's and William Kopp's claims.
So, what? That does not mean that microwaved food does not cause cancer. Perhaps we have simply not studied this possibility enough. Let's be clear: It is MUCH more difficult (it is IMPOSSIBLE) to prove that something doesn't cause cancer than to prove that it does. I'm pretty sure that most cancer rates are increasing in developed countries, so there MUST be a cause, or more likely multiple causes, somewhere. As such, the Guheerts are interested in eliminating likely causes. I also believe diet may be a contributor to the apparent increase in the rate of Alzheimer's disease, but who knows. The bottom line is that I do not like to take any unnecessary risks when it comes to what food we eat or feed to our children.

Here are Reg's current thoughts about the potential dangers of the use of microwaves:

- Leakage of the microwaves from the oven: I am not concerned about this. I suspect that the exposure I get from the microwave oven is MUCH lower than the exposure I get from my cell phone. I DO press pause before opening the door so that no microwaves leak out before the door switch shuts it off.

- Heating water in glass or ceramic containers: I do not see how this could possibly be dangerous, other than the leakage mentioned above.

- Heating anything in plastic containers: I am generally becoming more and more suspect of the health risks of ingesting plastics or any other petroleum products. I think we Guheerts need to focus more effort on eliminating plastics from our food containers in general, with a specific focus on not heating anything in plastic.

- Possible change of some molecules in the food into toxins: This is a new one for me which I find interesting. Thanks to Karen for this thread and the link she provided!

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to MSG. I get severe headaches from even small quantities of right-handed glutamic acid (the toxic chemical in MSG). While nearly all molecules in life on Earth are left-handed, high-temperature processing tends to create half left-handed and half right-handed molecules and also has the ability to flip some left-handed molecules in food into the right-handed form. Some of these right-handed molecules are apparently toxic, such as MSG and aspartame.

So I'm wondering: Could the localized temperature in food in a microwave oven get high enough to convert some of the molecules in the food into their right-handed form? I don't have any way to know the answer, but it is an interesting question. Does anyone have links to any evidence, one way or the other, regarding this question?

The bottom line here is that we are not about to give up our microwave oven. However, I agree that there is some cause for concern. The Guheerts will continue our gradual move away from plastics toward glass and ceramics for both storage and reheating. If anyone has any links to studies about the possible changes to the molecules in the food due to microwaves, I would be interested in seeing them.

Of course, my views on this subject could change in the future. I tend to get more conservative in my concerns over our food supply over time, not less.

- Heating anything in plastic containers: I am generally becoming more and more suspect of the health risks of ingesting plastics or any other petroleum products. I think we Guheerts need to focus more effort on eliminating plastics from our food containers in general, with a specific focus on not heating anything in plastic.

This is my thinking as well. Recent studies have shown that certain chemicals leach out of plastic food containers due to heating or the acidic content of certain foods. Over time, this might add up to be a significant degree of exposure. We're also moving away from plastic containers, where possible.

Studies on microwave heating, however, have shown that it is safe. In fact, it might be more safe than traditional cooking methods which create small quantities of char, due to higher cooking heat, which is a known carcinogen.

I would be inviting people over during thunderstorms, just for the entertainment factor. It's the ultimate conversation piece.

I believe microwaves are safe so long as:

-you use glass or certified lead/cadmium etc free stoneware

-you are reheating real food prepared in your kitchen

IF there are any probs with food prepared in microwaves, I believe it would be to do with the plastic containers & the highly processed prepared meals which people are using them for.

Also I think if you wear a tin foil hat while using it & stand 10 feet away, you'll be fine. As an additional precaution you could chant something like the times tables in order to keep your brain well organized. {JOKE!}

Seriously, I also think more people need to go through the Physics for Future Presidents course from UC Berkley. It's all on youtube - free.

Lecture 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysbZ_j2xi0

This is my thinking as well. Recent studies have shown that certain chemicals leach out of plastic food containers due to heating or the acidic content of certain foods. Over time, this might add up to be a significant degree of exposure. We're also moving away from plastic containers, where possible.
If you have any links to favorite sites that discuss this subject, I'd be interested to have them. TIA!
Studies on microwave heating, however, have shown that it is safe. In fact, it might be more safe than traditional cooking methods which create small quantities of char, due to higher cooking heat, which is a known carcinogen.
Agreed. However, the problem with studying to determine if something is safe is that it can only focus on specific possible concerns. For instance, I work in the wireless industry and the mantra about safety has always been that if the radiation is non-ionizing, then it must be safe. I have always been skeptical of this limited definition, given some of the anecdotal evidence which exists. Also, I have seen some studies about the affects of non-ionizing ultrasound on cells which gives me pause about that definition. I suspect there are other effects of microwave radiation on living things that are not currently understood. On the other hand, I do believe the use of SAR as a standard for evaluating the radiation of all new cellular phones into the head have resulted in a reduction in our exposure to this type of radiation over time. New wireless standards also tend to reduce this exposure over time, also, since battery life concerns tend to lead to reduced transmitter power.

In the case of microwave heating, I am now specifically wondering if there are any studies that have been performed to determine if any left-handed molecules are converted into their right-handed versions during heating.

I would be inviting people over during thunderstorms, just for the entertainment factor. It's the ultimate conversation piece.
Agreed! What's funny about this is that we COMPLETELY FORGET ABOUT IT between occurrences, so when we here it sing (it used to talk), it is always a surprise! It definitely brings a smile to our faces! :D

I'm with you. We've completely cut plastic from our heating regime though still use some for quick storage in the fridge or long term storage in the freezer.

And... I see no problems at all from cooking in the microwave as long as what one is cooking is healthy to start with. I don't think a Twinkie uncooked is any worse than a microwaved Twinkie...

I use a microwave many times for heating water for tea, reheating leftovers, and cooking veggies. I'm not worried. I suspect getting into our van to head on a trip is more dangerous. I also suspect cell phones are more dangerous.

As for more heart disease, more cancer, more everything... think of all the electromagnetic waves that are out there now that never were before - TV, radio, cell phones, etc, etc, etc. Think of less exercise off the treadmill or outside the gym. Think of all the processed 'everything' we consume compared to what people used to eat. Think of all the rat race stress. There are so many factors that could - and possible do - play a part that how one heats food is among the least of my concerns.

I'm not a 'healthy only' eater anyway. I prefer a balance and don't mind indulging in unhealthy things for the enjoyment of the taste. Enjoying life is more important to me than the longevity of it. I prefer the time saved using the microwave than any potential longevity from not using it. That said, I still won't heat with plastic of any sort... and we don't do prefrozen bought meals.

I really prefer the hot air poppers - like this

You can control the amt of butter you put on it or just have it plain. One of my dogs likes popcorn a lot so I use it sometimes for training sessions.

I'm not much of a popcorn eater, but that's what MomsintheGarden uses for popping corn, too. It seems like a good way to do it!

In fact, it might be more safe than traditional cooking methods which create small quantities of char, due to higher cooking heat, which is a known carcinogen.
I meant to comment on this, but forgot!

I LOVE barbecued food and I often joke about the great-tasting toxins we add to the food! :D

Is the conclusion a true causation or is it a correlation? Do ALL foods, even homemade, chemical free, healthy foods causing the same effect as frozen dinners? Perhaps this finding is something that seems to occur with people who eat mostly pre-packaged foods, designed to be heated and cooked by the microwave, not just heating up last nights freshly made dinner.
The conclusion is that some of the molecules are changed when something is heated in the microwave. So some of what you are eating is no longer food, but toxic.

I read somewhere (yeah I know) that if you microwave water and let it cool and then put your fish in it, the fish will die. Anyone here of this?

- Heating water in glass or ceramic containers: I do not see how this could possibly be dangerous, other than the leakage mentioned above.
Pyrex works just as well as plastic containers and then you can reheat your leftovers in the oven.

IF there are any probs with food prepared in microwaves, I believe it would be to do with the plastic containers & the highly processed prepared meals which people are using them for.

Seriously, I also think more people need to go through the Physics for Future Presidents course from UC Berkley. It's all on youtube - free.

Lecture 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysbZ_j2xi0

Does this course show that the idea of molecules being damaged during microwaving is incorrect?

I read somewhere (yeah I know) that if you microwave water and let it cool and then put your fish in it, the fish will die. Anyone here of this?

I don't know about fish, but at my dd's preschool, I cleaned the tadpole tank and decided that the water I used from the pond outside was too cold, I nuked the water, let it cool off and put the large tadpoles (almost frogs, they were in there for a few weeks) and they were fine.

I didn't want to use tap water because I wasn't sure about chlorine.

I never even thought about microwave damage.

The science part of me suspects this is due to heating the water and getting rid of the dissolved oxygen... even when the water cools, unless it is stirred up a bit, not as much oxygen will be in the water.

Then too, was it chlorinated water? Water needs to sit in light a bit to shed excess chlorine if it's from a municipal source.

Otherwise... it would be a very interesting experiment... assuming controls of the same water just sitting and heated/cooled by other methods.

I don't know about fish, but at my dd's preschool, I cleaned the tadpole tank and decided that the water I used from the pond outside was too cold, I nuked the water, let it cool off and put the large tadpoles (almost frogs, they were in there for a few weeks) and they were fine.

That's interesting, since amphibians are about the most sensitive vertebrates around. It's tough to transfer them between any kind of water without killing them. So it's unlikely that the water changed states via the microwave.

That's interesting, since amphibians are about the most sensitive vertebrates around. It's tough to transfer them between any kind of water without killing them. So it's unlikely that the water changed states via the microwave.

I agree... I was just thinking I had a really neat experiment coming up and now it's gone. Oh well. Easy come, easy go. I'm still blaming the fish death of whoever wrote the original article on lack of oxygen.

Does this course show that the idea of molecules being damaged during microwaving is incorrect?

This course (all 26 lectures; or you can get Muller's book) is not about microwaves. It's about physics and the point of this course is to enable people to think and reason for themselves whether certain claims are valid or not.

It's the kind of scientific literacy which is required in order to assess such claims as this one:

DHMO is a very dangerous chemical.

1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting

2. it is a major component in acid rain

3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state

4. accidental inhalation can kill you

5. it contributes to erosion

6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes

7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

8. over consumption of it can lead to disorientation, coma and even death

9. it contributes to the greenhouse effect

10. it accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals

11. it may cause electrical failures

Surely you'll agree that DHMO "dihydrogen monoxide" is a dangerous chemical and should be closely regulated! And yet it is not! It's widely used in industry and in the entire food chain!

How can this be??!!! There's even a website about dhmo & the conspiracies surrounding it. http://www.dhmo.org/

DHMO, btw, for those who have not seen this joke before, is water. H2O.

The microwaved water killing fish idea is not scientifically valid IMO. Assuming the water is cooled to the correct temperature for the fish, the only effect which would be a problem as far as I can see is that the water will be de-oxygenated. This would happen if you boil water on the stove too. We aerate water in fish tanks to add oxygen. When you boil water, you take some of the oxygen out. That's why boiled & distilled water taste 'flat' and that's partly why we have aerators on our kitchen taps - it makes the water taste better to us.

BTW, anyone wanting to do experiments on water & houseplants and seeds etc (not live fish pls!) should use a variety of waters - tap, distilled, boiled on the stove, microwaved. Skipping the 'boiled on the stove' is where people often go wrong.....

The conclusion is that some of the molecules are changed when something is heated in the microwave. So some of what you are eating is no longer food, but toxic.
To me it seems clear that this is the main point. In microwave heating applications, the transfer of energy to the food occurs at even VERY high temperatures. In fact, I've seen a YouTube video of glass being heated to plasma temperatures inside an ordinary microwave oven. As such, I have no problem believing that food can be heated to a point where changes such as left-handed molecules turning into right-handed molecules can occur. I can easily imagine turning food into charcoal, as well.

So the question becomes this in my mind: If we ignore the plastic issue for the time being, how much toxic non-food do we produce in our food if we microwave the food to proper temperatures in everyday usage? Is it zero, or is it some finite amount? Also, how much toxic non-food do we produce if we do not use the microwave properly? You know, what happens *inside* that hot dog when your child puts it in the microwave oven for 5 minutes?