Menu

Suggestion Needed:Would YOU take your Nikon D-40 to EUROPE?

We are getting ready to go, and I was tossing around the idea of what would be best. To take the D-40, or use my little handheld cannon?

I just want to have some GREAT pics.

Oh yes, we will be with a tour, not self-guided.

Suggestions?:bigear:

Absolutely. Take it, you will regret it if you don't. I drag my DSLR everywhere and the one time I took my daughter's small digital camera instead, I regretted it (and it is a good Canon one). Get a good camera bag if you don't have one but absolutely bring the camera with you.

I agree take the camera. We have a canon digital camera and a canon camcorder. We just back from a short vacation. We wore the batteries out on the camera, the camcorder has a rechargeable battery. Also amazon has some cheap prices on SD cards if you need them.

I'm not sure I would. I believe that the camera is more the tool, and is subject to the skills of the person working it :) if you use your d40 to just point and shoot, why drag the bulky body along? If you're a hobbyist who uses it in its different modes, then hands-down it's the camera to bring!

I guess it's important to know what you'll be photographing. Last time I did Europe we hit up a ton of chapels, cathedrals, and the like which made my external flash a necessary accessory to bring along. If you don't already have one (or care to buy one) that might be a further consideration in which camera to bring. If you will primarily shoot outdoors, either camera would be a fine choice.

But again :) my opinion is that the pictures are a product moreso of the photographer than of the camera. Great photographers get great shots with homemade, dinky cameras and conversely - even the highest-end camera won't a professional photographer make! In this case, the best pictures would come from whichever camera would be most convenient to carry and use in whichever environment you plan to shoot it.

Enjoy the trip!

I love my Nikon D40 and if I *ever* had the chance to go to Europe, I'd want the best camera I could deal with along.

Besides, you may have difficulty getting a cannon through airport security. :D. (A Canon would be fine though. ;))

We have a Canon D40 and even though it is bulky I would take it in a heartbeat!

The zoom quality alone makes it worth its weight. You won't always be really close to something you want a picture of.

I notice that even though I am standing at the same distance as someone with a point and shoot, my pics come out as if I am standing right at the stage or whatever where my friends' pics come out far away.

TAKE IT!

Dawn

I just went to Singapore, and I took my bulky D80.

I took two cameras, my D80 and then a small cheap point and shoot for when I wanted to ask a stranger to take a picture of us.

I just got my D80 this year, so I hand carried it in my carry-on bag. No way was my baby going to be checked!

If you take it, just be careful to not have it stolen.

Especially in Italy, but all over really, tourists are targeted and crime happens. I know dozens of people who have been pick pocketed and thefts of friends of mine include a nice camera that was removed from a camera bag worn around the neck of my friend. They were riding packed train and someone bumped her. She didn't notice the theft until she'd exited the train.

It seems almost in every tour book, and even on Rick Steves web site. Yes, I will be really attentive. That is shocking that it could be taken from the camera bag. Yikes!!

Especially in Italy, but all over really, tourists are targeted and crime happens. I know dozens of people who have been pick pocketed and thefts of friends of mine include a nice camera that was removed from a camera bag worn around the neck of my friend. They were riding packed train and someone bumped her. She didn't notice the theft until she'd exited the train.

Do you have a pic...or better yet a website w/apic? Thanks, as this could be really helpful.

I HAVE A D-40 AND IT WOULD NOT STAY BEHIND!!! i have recently purchased a backpack for it, and since that, i love it even more. great travels call for great cameras and photos.

I agree, I'd take both too.

I would also recommend getting a long camera strap for the D40. I have one of these and it's hip length so I can wear it across my body like a purse. I find it much more comfortable and convenient than the traditional neck strap. Plus, they're really cute!

I use a bino strap

http://www.binoculars.com/binocular-accessories/straps-and-harnesses/nikonbinoharness.cfm (I don't know this company--it just came up in google. You can get these at any store that sells good binoculars.)

This holds the camera close to the body (less likelihood of theft, but distributes the weight to make it more comfortable). It also makes a slight tension on the camera when put up to the eye (if you adjust it that way) which helps to take some of the shake out of those pictures that you've zoomed in on.

We took 2 cameras to Europe, and I don't ever regret it!

FWIW,

Jean

My camera was stolen from our locked hotel room in Greece, while we were at the hotel's beach. We were near the end of our trip, and I was so sad to have lost my pictures.