Menu

Anyone not doing a co-op?

I'm on a roll with questions today.....I guess I'm trying to prepare my bookshelves and thoughts for another year!

I've read various reasons why people like co-ops and are currently in one. Would anyone mind sharing if they joined one and realized it was not for them?

Or, if you had no desire to join one?

At this point, we have no desire to join one (primary yrs) this decision might change as my children grow. I'm just looking to see if there are others who share my "no desire" thought. I think they are fine and wonderful for many...I like our days the way they are now, but I have moments of wondering if that's ok. :)

Edited by mom2littleboys

We're not in one. I tried group gym, but they had the kids in groups from K-2, 3-6, etc and ds was stuck as the only 2nd grader in a class with wee littles, so we quit.

I don't feel the need to outsource and there's no one around here that shares my curriculum choices, so it would be difficult at best to join a co-op.

You are not alone :)

I'm not interested in joining either. My kids might enjoy it, but I don't feel like it's a high priority for us at this time. Our curriculum is more than enough to keep us busy....plus if we did a co-op, I'd have to teach a class. To be honest, I enjoy teaching my own kids, but not large groups.

Nope, not for us. :iagree: with Julie , it's very hard to find people using similar curriculum choices or even using your hs methodology. I tried joining in on a hs mom's group once and ending up spending half my time defending classical education. :glare:

I only join co-ops for the extras - like field trips and park play dates - that are hard for me to do as a single family or that get big discounts as a group. I have always been disappointed with classes we have signed up for. They are either too easy, or so difficult with outside work that we dread it. My ds is 9 and this year we will barely be active. He and my dd2 have multiple therapies and other activities so if I want to cover the rest of the academics I need to be home.

When my son was young and first starting out, I liked going to co-op because I met other families and moms that I didn't know before. I was able to make some connections I wouldn't have made. But beyond that, nah, co-ops haven't been a big draw. Now the only ones I am a part of either have very small fees to join or are free. And participation is optional.

No, I'm not in a co-op, which makes me a freak in my area. I never felt like their academics would be truly worth giving up a whole morning of our time. They are fun but time-wasting for our family, plus we live pretty far out of town. We would not be able to accomplish our own goals for our family if we lost one morning per week to this "fun stuff."

We do not belong to a co-op. I tried it once and it quickly became a nightmare.

We do belong to a large group (125 or so families) that has various activities. We just choose some fun activities and a couple of the field trips.

Mini rant:- I have been less than impressed with the behavior of some of the other children in this group, so I weigh my choices very carefully. (I have three semi-wild boys, but I'm on top of them at every outing!)

Nope, not for us. :iagree: with Julie , it's very hard to find people using similar curriculum choices or even using your hs methodology. I tried joining in on a hs mom's group once and ending up spending half my time defending classical education. :glare:

That's the same problem I had, just waiting while the kids had gym class. I couldn't imagine trying to co-op with so many people that think I'm making too much work for him already!

We are joining a co-op in the autumn, but I wouldn't have considered it before this year. I still probably wouldn't consider it but dd will get some 'club' experience from it, and her other teachers are good friends of ours. We're using it solely for electives/enrichment though - I don't foresee ever using it as a major piece of our curriculum.

I'm not interested in joining either. My kids might enjoy it, but I don't feel like it's a high priority for us at this time. Our curriculum is more than enough to keep us busy....plus if we did a co-op, I'd have to teach a class. To be honest, I enjoy teaching my own kids, but not large groups.

:iagree:

This is my feeling also. My sister tried to get me to join last school year and I'm just not interested. I've decided my dance card is full!:auto:

Nope - haven't been in any co-ops, and we like it that way! Making our own schedule, knowing what is being taught, etc. We have been part of a hs group and we have chosen carefully what we participate in - interest, life, etc., has changed over the years, so involvement with group has become less.

We attend a weekly park day and that is enough for us. The kids run around and play and the parents (we have a few dads but mostly moms) sit around and talk. This is working for us.

No classes, no assignments, no on-timeness, no commitment. Just good fun.

I once belonged to a co-op for one 8 week session. In order for my children to attend the classes, my responsibility was to teach two classes. I spent the evening before and the day of the classes preparing the educational material and going over my notes. This translates to a "light day" of school the day before and "no school" the day of co-op.

When I arrived and dropped my kids off to their respective classes, I noticed that one teacher was ill prepared. She said that the day before was busy for her and she was on the phone the morning of the class, so she quickly copied off coloring sheets to keep the kids busy during the session. In the other class, the teacher did not show up. The next 7 weeks were not much better. All in all, I have never joined another co-op again.

I have heard of co-ops that do work, the teachers are great and the children learn multitudes. The parents do not have to agree to teach a class, instead they pay fees. But, if that is what I wanted, I would search high and low for a private school.

I've thought about joining one, but I don't want to be tied into somebody else's schedule and their way of doing things. Right now I need to limit our outside activities.

And then there's the issue of religion. . . It seems like every co-op in my area requires me to sign a statement of faith. I have no problem with agreeing to abide by certain standards, but I do have a problem with being told that I have to believe as they do for my daughter to take an art class from them. :glare:

We were part of a co-op gym time several years ago, but had to drive 1 hr just to get there once a week. It worked for us then, since I had just pulled my dc's out of ps and thought they needed the interaction. Now, however, we do not have the option since there is no co-op in our area (the closest would be 1 1/2 hrs away and with gas prices and time restrictions that is just not an option!). But I'm not concerned with not having one. Our days seem to fill up way to fast as it is. We get lots of interaction with church activities and a few field trips with other local hs families. Mabye I will change my mind again some day, if the opportunity presents itself, but for now, we're just fine.

no co-op here. There really isn't co-ops around this area as far as I know, there is one but it is almost $800 for the year per child. Umm, no thanks, I can put them in all sorts of lessons for less than that.

$800??? No way would I even be able to consider that. The most i have ever paid for co-op fees was $35 a year. We then paid for any teachers hired (divided the cost among the children who registured for the class) and paid our own way for field trips and food on field trips.

No co-op here either. I don't think our personalities, mine and my oldest boy at least, fit well with co-op situations. He gets overwhelmed in loud and busy areas. As for me, well, I don't like to see things being done half way. So, I'd be the one to step in and "fix" everything or do it myself.

Again, I may change my mind as my boys get older. Right now we don't even belong to a social group because they all require religious affiliation or have attendance requirements.

We just make sure we have sports going on and I'm looking for away to meet other families with similar views.

I would not have participated in co-ops had they been "invented" when my dc were still home, at least not in the elementary years. High school...yes, that would have been helpful for things like lab sciences or higher maths, but otherwise, no.

We did one last year for music classes, but by January were ready to quit. We stuck it out for the rest of the year but have found a private piano teacher for this coming year. The responsibility to raise money monthly for the program or to volunteer time in the office, etc., just wasn't for us. The two classes, by the time we drove there and back and waited for both kids to finish, took up an entire morning every week. This year we are sticking to afternoon activities that are not just for homeschoolers and our weekly fun homeschool group for play and parties on Fridays. We school 4 days a week with day 5 reserved for finishing up any work from the week before we leave to play.

We do not belong to a co=op and really have no desire to do so. My children do take homeschool science classes at the local science museum and in the fall will be doing similar history classes a local historical park. These are only once monthly and my kids love them. For us, taking on too much outside the home spells disaster to actually getting our work done.

We did for many years, starting when the girls were in 4th and 7th. It was mostly social, not academic. The most important part was the girls seeing friends and me getting a chance to hang out with other homeschool moms. I think friendly moms were more important than the curriculum/structure.

I always had a great time planning my classes and working with the kids. The fees were minimal and it was mostly fun.

Most of the original children have gone on to dual enrollment or graduated so we closed down this year.

I'm sure I will miss the social interaction but I really need that half day back now that my youngest is in high school.

Co-ops vary so much depending on the goals and the families involved. For me it was a great support/social structure.