Menu

When did your child start mowing your own lawn?

We have a driving mower and it won't operate unless the driver is 90 lbs. For my eldest ds that was the summer he turned 11. My current 11yo is only 80lbs, so he has to wait. My dh won't let them operate the push mower until they are at least 5 ft.. He is more worried about safety with the push mower than the driving mower. The driving mower automatically shuts off if the driver leaves the seat, but the push mower doesn't have as many safety features.

FWIW- we also require ear plugs/headphones when using either mower, and goggles when using the push mower or weed-eater.

~

Leanna

We consider a lawnmower more dangerous than most other things. The 11yo was running a Bobcat at age 8, but didn't get to mow until 10. My 8yo will NOT be cutting grass at 10 because he just isn't as mature or serious as his older brother. The 11yo is learning to edge (with a string trimmer) so he can do lawns as a business.

Thanks for reminding me that part of our backyard still needs to be mowed.:glare:

All of our boys have started mowing when they were around 11 or 12. I think my oldest was 11 when I showed him. My dh has just shown the other two (almost 13 and 11 1/2) how to do it this summer.

We have a little over half an acre and they split the yard. Youngest ds (who is really about the size of a 10yo, not quite 70 lbs.) does the front since there is less to mow and middle ds (5'3" close to 100 lbs.) does the back. Dh still supervises the younger one, mainly due to his size; but the older one is on his own.

I really think the older one could have (probably should have) learned last year but we just never got around to it. When I was little, the boy that lived behind us started when he was 9 or 10. Of course his father was right there supervising the whole time.

I do think age and maturity play a part as to when they learn. But I also think size and ability should be taken into consideration. As I said, our youngest is a bit small for his age so it can be awkward for him if the grass has grown too tall.

Our children are learning how to mow this summer, with my dh's supervision. We have a gas-powered push mower. They are both hale and hearty for their ages. I imagine next year my ds will be mowing on his own. Now, if we could only teach them the finesse things like pulling weeds properly and trimming the edge. :)

My older dd started mowing the lawn when she was 11 or so. My dh supervised her and helped her start the mower for awhile, then she could do it herself. Now dd#2 wants to start, but she is smaller and lighter than dd#1 was at that age, so she's going to have to wait a bit. She's just not quite stable enough to handle the mower, even though she's mentally ready and eager (loves machines!)

We live in S. CA, so not a whole lot of lawn to mow around here!

I think it depends on how tough/thick your grass is as to whether you need a self-propelled mower. We have San Augustine and DH works very hard to keep it thick and lush. I know I couldn't mow it without a self-propelled, so I'm sure my kids would have a very hard time, too.

DH remembers mowing the yard when he was barely eye level with the top of the handle.

Our oldest dd started last year, when she was 10 and almost 5ft tall. Self propelled lawn mower - front yard only (no obstacles to maneuver around except for two trees that are easy to circle).

She's now 11 and still mowing (although, she's certainly not as excited about it as she was last year, :lol:). DH stays outside with her, doing the weed eating, etc while she mows. Then he finishes up the back yard.

The other 2 kids are cleaning the backyard (it's where the kids play, have their playhouse, swingset, etc) while DD#1 and DH are working the front yard, so it's good to go when DH is ready to mow the back.

I, in the meantime, stay inside, getting lunch ready for the overheated crowd when they return. :lurk5:

I am the main lawn mower person in our family. (Dh got me a weed eater for Mother's Day one year - but that's for that other thread - the one on gifts!) We made sure that it is a fairly easy start and is easy to push.

Ds12 started doing some mowing at age 11. We did it in stages. At first he was allowed to just go straight on flat ground. Now he is able to do the entire front yard because it is flat and fairly easy to do. I still do the back yard because is is bumpy and the dogs have torn up the yard somewhat. Also we check for dog toys, bones, sticks etc. but in case we miss something I want to be the one mowing back there. I'm always alert to stuff like that and would know to turn off the mower right away. I don't trust ds yet to do that.

My DS has been mowing since he was 9 (push) and 10 (rider). He loved it at first, but that didn't last long. :D

Ain't that the truth. Both of mine begged to start mowing the lawn, but the enthusiasm didn't last through the first season. (Maybe not even the first month!)

More than 25 percent of outdoor power equipment accidents occur to children ages 15 years or younger. For that reason, we have avoided involving our children with the riding or push mowers. There will be plenty of time for them to mow as they get older. In the meantime, there is no compelling reason to expose them to the risk, even if it is very small. There are plenty of other chores they can do that do not have the same risks associated with them.

My son is 9 and very tall for his age. My dh allows him to mow the yard (only the flat, easy to mow areas) and my dh walks within 3 feet behind him for quick assistance. For that entire patch of yard. We have friends with a very flat easy lot and their son has been on the riding mower since he was 7 doing their yard. They are always outside wiith him.

I was 11 when my parents had me start mowing the yard. I remember getting sunburn on my feet (just wearing flip flops) as I drove around on the riding mower. It hurt to walk at school the next week!

My ds turned 9 in March and I have been easing him into mowing the rider this summer. He is big for his age though. I mow the edges and save the big middle for him so he can practice with out knocking down fences...:tongue_smilie: I figure by next summer he will be an actual help to me.

Beginning when he was about 11 or 12, he would help dh do the yardwork. He drove the riding mower to cut our grass, and also was hired to help dh's brother do lawnwork as well. But he suffered from TERRIBLE allergy problems (sinus infections, etc.) every time he would cut grass. We hoped that a visit to the pediatrician would provide us with allergy medicines that would help, but instead, the doctor told us that ER should not be anywhere near freshly mowed grass at any time. So, either dh cuts the grass or we hire someone else to do it, generally when ER is not even home.

My ds and dd started mowing at 12 not because it was a magic age, but because that is when they were of a height/weight/maturity to handle the machine. We have a self-propelled mower, so that helps a lot with our thick zoysia grass. My son started out just doing the back yard because the front is sloped. He just started mowing the front yard this year... he turned 14 in May. My dd still only does the back, as she is still 12. With both kids, though, my dh still does the 'perimeter'.... he mows along the privacy fence and around any trees so the kids won't have to maneuver the mower other than normal turning. In the front, he mows along the edged flower beds and along the curb... those are the trickiest places to mow. He showed our ds the best way to mow a sloped yard. For both kids, he talked about how the mower works and the dangers of using such a machine. He also stays in the yard pulling weeds, etc, while the kids mow so he can keep an eye out. He still assists with bagging the grass, as that's too difficult for either child to manage alone. When ds' allergies are bad, he wears a face mask that helps greatly. The first mow of the year is done by dh.... it produces so much sawdusty stuff, even the face mask doesn't help ds.

I second the poster who said gloves are a must!! :tongue_smilie: