Menu

Barnes & Noble homeschool discount

Mine gave me one, no problems or hassles.

I had a membership ID to a local homeschool group ready to show, but they never requested to see it. They just took my word for it (and a quick look at the school-aged kid next to me with his nose in a book and a pile in his arms that he wanted to pay for!)

Doesn't hurt to ask, good luck :)

Has anyone had any success getting a teachers discount card to Barnes & Noble?

I have one from Borders but have not tried yet with Barnes & Noble. I always hear about them harassing people and I'm too scared to try!

I've had one for quite a few years. I just showed them my homeschool association card and received the discount card immediately. I do have to renew it each year.

I've never had any problem at any B&N receiving the discount, and I've used my card at stores in several states.

I have had, as a homeschooler, an educator's discount card from Barnes & Noble since 1995. When I was asked to show "proof", I explained that I had absolutely none because I did not belong to any support group. That situation has continued to the present, and I successfully renew my card every year.

No problems here.

And if you have a Books-A-Million where you live, get one from there too. They discount anything you buy unlike the other stores that only do educational materials.

Our BAM has recently cracked down and I now only get the discount on items for the classroom. They question me every time. :glare:

I have cards from HPB, B&N, and Borders. I have had either B&N or Borders give me a rough time about "no official ID" --I refuse to show any type of made-up card. what a crock.

But it depends on the store. Borders wouldn't give me one, so i went to another Borders. Ditto w/ B&N. go figger.

Half Price books NEVER questions me.

I have one from Borders but have not tried yet with Barnes & Noble. I always hear about them harassing people and I'm too scared to try!

than at Barnes & Noble. At Borders the procedure was always very complicated, but with Barnes & Noble I just had to show some proof of homeschooling in order to get their discount card, and they simply wrote out the card for me.

There was only one time I had a little problem at Barnes & Noble buying homeschooling books. I can't remember which town it was in (we live in a small town, so we make it a point to visit B&N stores when we travel), but I had a stack of books that were obviously for homeschooling. When I was paying for my copy of The Odyssey, no less, the clerk asked me, "Is this for homeschooling?" I just looked at her, probably a little like this: :glare: and asked, "Yes, of course this is for homeschooling."

But, I've never, ever had any problems at any other Barnes & Noble. Since I don't homeschool anymore, I have their Barnes & Noble credit card, which gives me a 15% discount.

Good luck!

I have had one for years. I use either my HSLDA or my local HS group ID card to prove that I am a teacher. You don't even need that. I have heard of mother's making their own Teacher ID card at home.;)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
but I had a stack of books that were obviously for homeschooling. When I was paying for my copy of The Odyssey, no less, the clerk asked me, "Is this for homeschooling?" I just looked at her, probably a little like this: :glare: and asked, "Yes, of course this is for homeschooling."

Yes! This is exactly my problem with our local B&N! The first time I tried to use my discount card, I was buying a kids' international cookbook for our world tour and they wouldn't give me a discount because they didn't think it was for school. Honestly, it annoys me to have to explain myself. It annoyed me even more to explain myself and then be denied despite a perfectly reasonable (and, if I may say so, fabulous :tongue_smilie:) explanation. And it flat out annoys me most to think that I probably would have been given a different answer depending on who was working the checkout lane that day, you know?

I much prefer Amazon with it's computerized non-judgment and Prime two day delivery. :D Honestly, it's cheaper with no tax or shipping even when you factor in the homeschool discounts elsewhere.

Oh yes, and our store did want me to write up a simple letter stating I'm a homeschooler, which is fair, I suppose...except for the fact that the state doesn't even need anything in writing from me. Irony.

I'm in DFW and have never had a problem getting one, and renewing it, at B&N or Borders or Lakeshore Learning or some other places I can't remember right now. Half-Price Book is the only place that even asked for proof and I don't belong to a group either, so I showed them a hsing curriculum instructors guide and that was acceptable to them.

I have heard that the educator discount at B&N is only supposed to apply to materials they deem educational, but we use ours all the time- for picture books, fiction books, games, and so on, without any problem.

Wow - no idea they gave a discount!

I have a B&N one - I showed them a card I had for a DFW home schooler meetup group and they filled a card out real quick for me.

I will be sure to ask for one at Half Price. We usually shop there first.

I got a card with no trouble several years ago at our local Barnes and Noble, but when it expired they would not let me renew it because I didn't have anything official saying we homeschool.

The homeschool group we are part of does not issue ID cards and neither does our state. The state does not give me any kind of official form saying we are homeschoolers.

I have never had a bit of trouble at Books-a-Million or at Borders, so I spend my money at those places or online.

It really seems to vary by location, and probably most importantly, the particular employee issuing the card.

I just had a memory of being with a friend at B&N, at a different location than I usually go to, and when she tried to get an educators card as a homeschooler, she was given the third degree. This nosy employee was even asking my friend why she didn't have any proof, saying that some kind of testing is required anyway. (Which it most definitely is not required in my state).

No, issues here at all! I showed my "Declaration of Intent to Homeschool" (a paper we fill out with the school district in my state) and that was it.

I have never had to show any proof since then, they just renew it as needed each year, based on the previous year's card.

The manager at the one I go to is fantastic and he even gave me his email address if I want to special order books. By going through him directly, he gives me our local school districts discount of 25% on everything, instead of the regular 20%.

They said they really value homeschoolers in our area and are happy to help in any way possible. He recently sent out a email to all the US stores to try to track down 4 out of print books for me.

On the other hand Powell's Books (15 minutes away), the biggest bookstore in the world, doesn't give any discount to homeschoolers and makes it difficult for even a teacher to get a discount there. I no longer shop at Powell's and shop almost exclusively at B&N because of the difference in customer service.

ETA: They have also given me the discount on things that were not for homeschool. I seperate them into piles and most of the time they say "well if you homeschool and it is going to your home...it is for school," or something similar, and discount anything the computer will allow the discount on. They really seem to want the homeschoolers buisness here. :0)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I'm in DFW, and have used my cards (B&N, Borders) for all manner of purchases. Magazines may not be discounted. Nor may DVDs, most of the time. I am honest about what is "for school" and what is for something else (say, a birthday present). The stores even extend the discount to books about medications and about special needs. Once, years ago, I was queried about a book of this type, and I explained that I have a special needs student. No problem. This is the only time, in fact, that I have been "countered" (fleetingly) about the subject matter of a purchase for homeschool use. B&N even discounted my purchase of one of those expensive, "designer" cannisters of fancy, decorated pencils which dd fell in love with and wanted for school use !

Yes! This is exactly my problem with our local B&N! The first time I tried to use my discount card, I was buying a kids' international cookbook for our world tour and they wouldn't give me a discount because they didn't think it was for school. Honestly, it annoys me to have to explain myself. It annoyed me even more to explain myself and then be denied despite a perfectly reasonable (and, if I may say so, fabulous :tongue_smilie:) explanation. And it flat out annoys me most to think that I probably would have been given a different answer depending on who was working the checkout lane that day, you know?

I much prefer Amazon with it's computerized non-judgment and Prime two day delivery. :D Honestly, it's cheaper with no tax or shipping even when you factor in the homeschool discounts elsewhere.

Oh yes, and our store did want me to write up a simple letter stating I'm a homeschooler, which is fair, I suppose...except for the fact that the state doesn't even need anything in writing from me. Irony.

I was shopping for a book once and had no idea that a discount existed and mentioned homeschooling to the sales clerk who was helping me search for said book. She said "Oh you need a homeschool discount card!" and promptly signed me up!

I wish i'd known half price books provides a discount. My mom lives near one and we recently spent about a month with my mom and I spent a fortune on books there. I don't foresee going back anytime soon though.

I wonder if any of these places offer a discount online? I would much rather buy online. Wouldn't it be nice if Amazon offered a discount?

I have had teachers cards in 3 states. Alaska and Montana were no problem, I just asked for one and recieved it. Now Texas is another matter, atleast in my area. They wouldn't give me one, so I called corporate. They explained the requirements to me, and then to the local store. They can require a homeschool ID ( yeah ok, we all have these LOL ), or your school info on letterhead. This was the easiest for me to do. I just made letterhead and promptly recieved my card.

I have had teachers cards in 3 states. Alaska and Montana were no problem, I just asked for one and recieved it. Now Texas is another matter, atleast in my area. They wouldn't give me one, so I called corporate. They explained the requirements to me, and then to the local store. They can require a homeschool ID ( yeah ok, we all have these LOL ), or your school info on letterhead. This was the easiest for me to do. I just made letterhead and promptly recieved my card.

yeah... the B&N that was hassling me asked for lesson plans, but when i pulled out a blank piece of paper and asked if they wanted me to jot down a year-plan or write up a single day, week, month, or the entire year, they couldn't answer the question....

and they did NOT want to accept me "scribbling" a note affirming I'm a homeschooler...:lol:

When they asked for my school ID, I handed them my driver's license. "Our private school recognizes the state ID as the school ID."

they also were not impressed when i told them that they, too, could fill out a membership form for a local homeschool group, pay their 20-50 bucks, and get a cute little laminated card done by a mom on her computer. I guess they think that most homeschool groups actually check to "make sure" you are homeschooling????

:lol:

Our B&Ns are very easy to work with. I showed them my LOI 6 years ago and that was it. I've received discounts on Bibles, dh's sc-fi books, etc, even though I put them in separate home / school piles. B&N had a booth at our homeschool conference too, although the only thing they brought were 'educational' ABC picture book type of things.

Ouch ! :confused: Well, DFW covers many square miles. I purchase from B&Ns in Dallas, Plano, and Lewisville. Never a problem, and I probably have renewed my annual card in all three cities over the fourteen years. (I forget to check the date, the clerks forget to check the date, so eventually a clerk will notice, and I just fill out the new card on-the-spot without incident.) Sure sorry that you and Alatexan68 have experienced problems.

yeah... the B&N that was hassling me asked for lesson plans, but when i pulled out a blank piece of paper and asked if they wanted me to jot down a year-plan or write up a single day, week, month, or the entire year, they couldn't answer the question....

and they did NOT want to accept me "scribbling" a note affirming I'm a homeschooler...:lol:

When they asked for my school ID, I handed them my driver's license. "Our private school recognizes the state ID as the school ID."

they also were not impressed when i told them that they, too, could fill out a membership form for a local homeschool group, pay their 20-50 bucks, and get a cute little laminated card done by a mom on her computer. I guess they think that most homeschool groups actually check to "make sure" you are homeschooling????

:lol:

The fact that I was homeschooling came in up conversation as I was making a purchase and the employee said, "This is your lucky day! You qualify for a homeschool discount card", and handed me the form. I filled it out and they gave me the card - easy peasy.

I do believe that you have to show whatever proof your state requires. So, if you have to turn in a letter of intent, you should bring that to show them. Since Texas has now requirements, Barnes and Noble doesn't require any proof from me.

There was only one time I had a little problem at Barnes & Noble buying homeschooling books. I can't remember which town it was in (we live in a small town, so we make it a point to visit B&N stores when we travel), but I had a stack of books that were obviously for homeschooling. When I was paying for my copy of The Odyssey, no less, the clerk asked me, "Is this for homeschooling?" I just looked at her, probably a little like this: :glare: and asked, "Yes, of course this is for homeschooling."

I get that at one bookstore from time to time - "Is this for the classroom?" Well, yes - it's all for the classroom because our home is our classroom! American Girl books teach history and reading... hello!