Menu

Upcoming studies about possible links between chemicals and Autism

I have long felt that Alzheimer's is caused by chemicals we introduce into our bodies through the air, food supply, medication or other exposure, but no obvious links have ever been established. It seems reasonable that Autism may have similar causes. It appears the government is now funding a major long-term study in an attempt to learn more about the links between chemicals we have added to our environment and various disorders, including Autism.

Toxic Chemicals: A Culprit Behind the Autism Outbreak

Over the past 30 years, toxic chemicals, like Teflon, plastics, and formaldehyde have increasingly invaded our homes. We used to think these substances were harmless, but a rising tide of evidence has turned the spotlight on chemical exposures as a possible poison to our children's developing brains.

So how does this account for all of the 40, 50 + year old autistics?

asta

My understanding is that some believe the relatively recent increase in diagnosis is caused in part by newer environmental stressors. However, no one denies that there has probably always been some lower baseline incidence of autism.

I've been thinking about eliminating my Teflon from months now, because I notice how it wears away and we're obviously ingesting it :confused:.

What cookware would you deem safe? The only ones I'm aware of would be cast iron, stainless, or enamel. Without a coating, would you have to use a lot of oil in things like scrambled eggs? I wouldn't want to do that, so how do you deal with the sticking issue in non-teflon cookware without adding an absurd amoount of oil like I see in the cooking shows?

I've been thinking about eliminating my Teflon from months now, because I notice how it wears away and we're obviously ingesting it :confused:.

What cookware would you deem safe? The only ones I'm aware of would be cast iron, stainless, or enamel. Without a coating, would you have to use a lot of oil in things like scrambled eggs? I wouldn't want to do that, so how do you deal with the sticking issue in non-teflon cookware without adding an absurd amoount of oil like I see in the cooking shows?

I use stainless steel myself with an absurd amount of oil. LOL I don't see any way around it but I use coconut oil and I feel it's ok to use alot of that so I don't worry about the amount.

I use glass for baking and just a light coating of oil works on that.

I use stainless steel, and almost always cook with olive oil, and as little as I can get away with. Eggs will not stick if you float a small amount of butter first and rotate the skillet so it really gets up the sides. I use about a 1/2 T. before each batch of eggs, and I let them set before I move them at all.

I also use stoneware, which seasons like cast iron, and that has worked out amazingly well. I use a cookie sheet and a baking stone. I also use stoneware loaf pans, but they probably need reseasoning the most. Also, I use those foil muffin papers in my stoneware muffin pan.

Use plastic utensils on your stainless steel so you don't scratch it up, which also makes things stick more.

Guest Virginia Dawn

There were plenty of toxic chemicals around 40-50 years ago, and far less public awareness of possible affects.

That's not to say that there aren't other causes as well, such as genetics.

I have long felt that Alzheimer's is caused by chemicals we introduce into our bodies through the air, food supply, medication or other exposure, but no obvious links have ever been established. It seems reasonable that Autism may have similar causes. It appears the government is now funding a major long-term study in an attempt to learn more about the links between chemicals we have added to our environment and various disorders, including Autism.

Toxic Chemicals: A Culprit Behind the Autism Outbreak

I believe it is a contributor but not the culprit. I'm of the mindset that genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

Use plastic utensils on your stainless steel so you don't scratch it up, which also makes things stick more.

I just have to point out that using plastic will release it's own set of toxins such a pcb's and other plasticizers. It's difficult b/c you're almost doomed one way or the other...

So how does this account for all of the 40, 50 + year old autistics?

asta

One theory is that each person has a toxic tipping point. People with certain genetic factors may have a lower toxic tipping point. So people born 50 years ago with a low threshold, could still develop autism if they were exposed to enough toxins. Here is an article that discusses the environmental history of some of the first patients given the autism label (as I recall, mostly focusing on mercury though).

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=13317

If this theory is true, then it would follow that we would see a rise in autism with the rise in exposure to toxins.

There were plenty of toxic chemicals around 40-50 years ago, and far less public awareness of possible affects.

That's not to say that there aren't other causes as well, such as genetics.

:iagree:I agree.

My ds is not autistic but displayed some of the same actions as some autistic kids.

When we pulled away from the major toxic overloaded placed(church was our worst) I was amazed at the change that took place in him. It was like his brain turned on.

I long have wondered whether my mother's Alzheimer's traces, in part, to her lifelong use of a particularly nasty-smelling, aluminum-laden brand of deodorant.

For a long time now, I have exercised my "rights" as primary family shopper to buy toothpastes, deodorants, body cleansers, and shampoos which are free from known and/or suspected toxins. Even my husband now swears by the "crystal" deodorants for their efficacy !

:iagree:I agree.

My ds is not autistic but displayed some of the same actions as some autistic kids.

When we pulled away from the major toxic overloaded placed(church was our worst) I was amazed at the change that took place in him. It was like his brain turned on.

This is interesting. How did you determine church was a place of toxin overload? Very curious.

I work around anesthetics all day in the sense that the by-products are breathed out and we breathe those in. I suppose that's pretty toxic :thumbdown: Breast cancer hasn't been a rarety in my work environment.

Edited by BalanceSeeker

I can't find either report now so please believe me when I say I read these.

First, there was a report several years ago where incidences of autism were mapped and at that time there were always more around sawmills and paper processing plants than in other areas. The chemicals in the air were thought to be part of the cause. I agree with others that there is not one singular cause. It seems to run in families, but it also seems to appear out of nothing.

Second, why is there more now? I think in part of better diagnosing. I have a brother that is 37 years old and was finally diagnosed with autism at the age of 34. It didn't suddenly appear, but until then no one knew what to call his odd behaviors or his learning problems other than "Unspecified learning disorders". He began receiving special services when he was 2 years old, but that didn't make a difference. Since he wasn't profoundly mentally challenged, or violent, or otherwise disabled, he was just lumped into a catch all category. Remember how ADHD was the hot diagnosis in the 1990s with a surge in people identified with it? I think the same is happening with autism.

Third, back to those pots and pans. Not too long ago there was a big splash in news about a report comparing men with heart disease. It seemed to show that single/divorced men had less heart disease than married despite their diets. One part of this study discovered that the single men often did not use teflon correctly and had flaking scratched pans. The assumption/conclusion, when all other points were removed, was that the small amounts of teflon in the diet may have had good effects on their hearts. (Ok, I don't know how true that is, but it makes me laugh to think of such a study).

So, which pans to use? I do use teflon for eggs only. We don't eat eggs often and so I feel the risk is minimal. I have stainless steel and love them, especially the ones with heavy bottoms. My favorite however is a well seasoned iron skillet for cooking any meats, and a lot of sauces. If theyare well seasoned, they don't stick, and they are a breeze to wash, much like teflon.

We use cast iron. I can fry an egg in our cast iron pan, flip it, and let it slide off the cast iron onto a plate. Without using any oil, butter, etc. Properly seasoned cast iron works as well (or in my opinion) better than Teflon. I can't speak highly enough of our cast iron!!!

Everything we have that's not cast iron is stainless steel, which I use when I cook tomato-based meals. I don't add oil to it either, but I usually use it to brown turkey before adding tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc. so it's not really an issue.

We use cast iron. I can fry an egg in our cast iron pan, flip it, and let it slide off the cast iron onto a plate. Without using any oil, butter, etc. Properly seasoned cast iron works as well (or in my opinion) better than Teflon. I can't speak highly enough of our cast iron!!!

Everything we have that's not cast iron is stainless steel, which I use when I cook tomato-based meals. I don't add oil to it either, but I usually use it to brown turkey before adding tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, etc. so it's not really an issue.

Looks like mama's getting a cast iron skillet. Any recommendations, or they all about the same?

To the OP, we are always looking for ways to minimize our exposure to chemicals, so thanks for the link!

It would not surprise me in the least to find environmental toxins are a player in the rise in autism and other neurological disorders. I grew up in a paper mill town, and the number of neurological disabilities in such a small town is breathtaking. Those are just the ones you can see!

I agree that properly seasoned cast iron is as non-stick as teflon, though you do cook with it differently (heat the pan empty, etc). We are trying to convince Calphalon to replace our cookware (which has a lifetime guarantee and, at this point 100% failure rate in my kitchen) with their stainless line, which is cheaper than the anodized aluminum we are asking them to replace. They're giving us a hard time. Ugh. Anyway, that's my current focus of decreasing exposure. (as I sit here being paranoid about the offgasing of our relatively new furniture :001_huh:)

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread on the cookware. I meant to start a new thread instead of reply. I ALWAYS do that by accident, sorry!
No worries. Cookware is something we come in contact with daily, but we DO have some control over.

MomsintheGarden and I have agonized over cookware choices since we were first married. I had grown up with anodized aluminum cookware (Didn't affect me none! :tongue_smilie:), but studies indicating elevated aluminum levels in Alzheimer's patients gave me sufficient pause to choose to avoid it for our family. Our first purchase was glass cookware from Corning, which was cheap but horrible stuff, as least on the stove. Not bad for the microwave. A couple of years after we bought our first house, we bought Cuisinart Everyday Stainless. We have loved this for most purposes. Cooking eggs is the exception. We have resorted to Teflon for this application.

We have a DS that fits that characterization almost exactly, except he continues in his behaviors. Anything we could do to help him would be great. I've always thought that if it were environmental, then the damage is already done, but perhaps that is not correct.
This is interesting. How did you determine church was a place of toxin overload? Very curious.
I have the same question. How do any of us evaluate the safety of our environment? MomsintheGarden has a pretty strong aversion to carpeting, which is apparently loaded with formaldehyde. As such, our last two large remodelling projects, our bedroom and our basement, saw us replacing carpeting with hardwood floors. We are using Persian rugs on top, which do seem much safer since they do not contain any glues.
Thanks for that! I find this nothing short of amazing! We have an iron skillet or two and do not have a similar experience. One issue is that they have been quite heavy for MomsintheGarden to handle. Also, our experience with seasoning the pan has not been as positive. I'm wondering if perhaps there are iron skillets that have edges that are rounded up, rather than the abrupt transition from the bottom to the sides that ours have. In any case, I'm willing to give iron another try if we can perhaps find better products and/or learn more about how to use it properly. Please tell us more! :bigear:
To the OP, we are always looking for ways to minimize our exposure to chemicals, so thanks for the link!
You are welcome! I've found the discussion to be very helpful, so thanks to everyone for your input!
I use a cast iron skillet and bamboo utensils for cooking scrambled eggs.
We've been using plastic utensils with a preference for harder types, like melamine. I'm thinking we should give bamboo a try. Can you please make recommendations about what works for you? Also, please provide more insight on what you think makes iron skillets work for you. TIA!

ITA about the cast iron. I LOVE mine. I think proper seasoning in the key. (Mine were pre-seasoned hand-me-downs, so I don't have tips for seasoning). I also have a few stainless steel pots and pans and some LeCreuset (cast iron covered with enamel). They are all very good, but I find myself reaching for the cast iron again and again.

We've replaced all our plastic utensils with stainless, wood, and bamboo. I don't miss the plastic at all. I did the same thing for tupperware-- I replaced it all with glass "refridgerator boxes" that were also passed down from my mom. They are great!

I have long felt that Alzheimer's is caused by chemicals we introduce into our bodies through the air, food supply, medication or other exposure, but no obvious links have ever been established.

FYI: There is a new study about juice and Alzheimers.

http://alzheimers.about.com/od/alzheimersprevention/a/Juice_Prevent_A.htm

I also heard on Fox news that Benadryl and other sleep aids with the ingredient diphenhydramine have been found to triple the onset of Alzheimers and other dementia issues.

http://www.healthscout.com/news/1/627737/main.html

I believe it is a contributor but not the culprit. I'm of the mindset that genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.

Precisely. That is the same with childhood cancer. It is thought that genetics (genetic hiccups, not what we think of as being passed down but hiccups within their own bodies during development), environmental stressors and/or viruses or bacteria work together.

Hopefully someone can figure out what is causing so much of this with our kids so perhaps we can help keep them safer.

We use mainly glass but also stainless when cooking. We only use wooden utensils to cook with.

We have a DS that fits that characterization almost exactly, except he continues in his behaviors. Anything we could do to help him would be great. I've always thought that if it were environmental, then the damage is already done, but perhaps that is not correct.

These behaviors, if a result of environmental poisoning, are not permanent. I have three children recovered from autism, all recovery was accomplished by removing toxins from the body and their personal environment and addressing deficiencies in the body caused by these toxins. I know multiple children recovered from these life-altering difficulties regardless of the label applied to the child.

I use cast iron skillets, stainless steel pots and cookie sheets, and glass bread pans. Most of my cooking is done with my trusty cast iron skillet, everything from eggs to pancakes to tortillas to stir fry to casseroles.

If the cast iron is properly seasoned you don't need to use much oil at all (though, I tend to make fried versus scrambled eggs). Run the skillet under a little water and with a scrubby pad anything that 'sticks' tends to come off pretty easily, in my experience.

Even if you do have to use a bit of elbow grease and some of the seasoning is worn off, I've found that cooking fried eggs in the skillet re-seasons the pan very well.

I went online and noticed you can purchase a pre-seasoned pan. Is this as good as seasoning your own? Like Reg, I'm curious to know how you do this successfully?

Off to throw my plastic utensils away. I hadn't even thought about those!

Before I used my cast iron skillets for the first time (or, if I really did a messy casserole in them that required super elbow grease to remove), I wipe the inside with vegetable oil or Crisco and bake it in a low oven for an hour or so.

If I take off a bit of the seasoning with scrubbing or it just seems dull, cooking fried eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches brings it back to a nice seasoned 'texture'.

I don't remember if the Lodge we got was pre-seasoned. It may have been, but I redo it anyway. The ancient skillet I got from my grandma needed some love though.

I love my cast iron skillets and my cast iron muffin pan. Hope this info helps turn others into cast iron lovers, too!

Forgot to add: I use small stainless steel spatulas for most of my cooking. Otherwise I use wooden utensils or stainless steel spoons. The small stainless steel spatulas make flipping eggs and pancakes really easy--small enough to flip smartly and thin enough to slide easily under the food.

Edited by elw_miller

These behaviors, if a result of environmental poisoning, are not permanent. I have three children recovered from autism, all recovery was accomplished by removing toxins from the body and their personal environment and addressing deficiencies in the body caused by these toxins. I know multiple children recovered from these life-altering difficulties regardless of the label applied to the child.

How did you go about removing the toxins? I'm very curious. :bigear:

Thanks for this. I thought that there were reports of several studies within the past couple of years that indicated mercury in older type tooth fillings might be at least responsible in part for some of the alzheimers problems of past decades....

There is definitely a link between mercury fillings and Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune thyroid disease), especially among people who are allergic to mercury. (http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/thyroid/thyroid-mercury.html)

One theory is that each person has a toxic tipping point. People with certain genetic factors may have a lower toxic tipping point. So people born 50 years ago with a low threshold, could still develop autism if they were exposed to enough toxins. Here is an article that discusses the environmental history of some of the first patients given the autism label (as I recall, mostly focusing on mercury though).

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=13317

If this theory is true, then it would follow that we would see a rise in autism with the rise in exposure to toxins.

I totally agree with this.

I don't think it's truly accurate to say that "genetics is the cause, and environment is the trigger." I think it's more accurate to say that the environment (chemicals, for example) is the cause, and one's genetics makes him/her more susceptible due to the inability to metabolize the chemicals (or whatever else is in the environment). Without the issues in the environment (man-made), genetics wouldn't be an issue.

Since World War 2 the production of synthetic organic chemicals has increased dramatically. In 1945, the production of such chemicals was under 10 million tons compared to 110 million tons today. Also, power plants are putting out tremendous chemicals as well. As someone else pointed out, it wasn't as though there were no chemicals 40-50 years ago; they did exist—just not in the large quantities that they exist today.

I suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (and also lots of allergies as well). I've reached my threshold for the toxic tipping point, and it's awful. I am greatly limited in life due to it. I have had to change my entire life, and social activities are almost nonexistent. So many people don't "get it" (and don't want to get it), and it's easier for them to believe that it isn't real, but believe me; it's real.

I don't put any great faith in this study that will be done by the government. The chemical companies, including pharmaceutical companies, and other big businesses (like the Southern Company) have too much pull in the government for us to ever expect to get accurate results from any study performed by it. The large companies have too much to lose by its being stated by the government that chemicals are the cause of so many health problems, and they'll make sure that the government doesn't allow such "conclusions" to be drawn from such a study.

Then they didn't have autism.

Looks like mama's getting a cast iron skillet. Any recommendations, or they all about the same?

Lodge is thought to be the gold standard in cast iron cookware, I think. They're inexpensive, well-made, and made in the USA. My friend bought the preseasoned one and loves it. I have a different brand and it's OK, but I don't know if my past dissatisfaction is due to user error or brand!

However, the trick to using stainless steel for things like eggs is to let the pan heat up ALL THE WAY, and use a lower heat setting than you might imagine. My DH uses high heat for everything and is continually frustrated when everything burns and sticks. I keep telling him to go lower, lower. When I cook eggs in the stainless steel, I use a low heat, let it preheat for a good 5-7 minutes, use a small amount of butter to coat the entire surface, and crack the eggs in. If they stick, it's usually just a thin skin of egg white, not enough to affect the egg. For cooking other things, if you try to flip them too quickly in stainless, they'll stick. If you let them sit a minute and release their juices, they'll come free pretty quickly. Then, when you're done and the pan is still scalding hot, pour in a few cups of water and let it sit while you eat. Don't let it cool and then try to soak it. Makes the washing up a snap.

(Can you tell we've thought about this a lot?! :D)

We have an iron skillet or two and do not have a similar experience. One issue is that they have been quite heavy for MomsintheGarden to handle. Also, our experience with seasoning the pan has not been as positive. I'm wondering if perhaps there are iron skillets that have edges that are rounded up, rather than the abrupt transition from the bottom to the sides that ours have. In any case, I'm willing to give iron another try if we can perhaps find better products and/or learn more about how to use it properly.

I agree with your assessment of the cast iron. I have a pan that's just big enough to cook three fried eggs (two comfortably). That's about as heavy as I can manage. I use stainless for everything else. And I was also having trouble with the seasoning until I learned two things: 1) Crisco is the best choice for seasoning (actually, lard probably is, but we don't ever have any on hand), and 2) My mother was secretly washing it with soap! I'd told her several times when we first got it not to do so, but she either forgot or couldn't bring herself not to. When I solved those two problems, the pan started to work much better. After every use, I wash it with only hot, hot water and a washcloth (no scrubbie, no sponge that could hold leftover soap). Then I rub a thin layer of Crisco on the insides and put it on a very low flame to reseason while I was the rest of the dishes. Sometimes, if I have time to let it cool off in between, I'll even add a second coat while I'm doing something else in the kitchen. I don't generally cook much other than eggs in it, but this has worked fine for me.

HTH!

Lodge is thought to be the gold standard in cast iron cookware, I think. They're inexpensive, well-made, and made in the USA. My friend bought the preseasoned one and loves it. I have a different brand and it's OK, but I don't know if my past dissatisfaction is due to user error or brand!

My only concern with "pre-seasoned" is that I don't know what they're using. Mineral oil? Something else? :001_huh: My favorite pan is an ancient hand-me-down from my mom. I've seen a number of well-priced cast iron pans in the junky antique shops around here (as opposed to the high-end, pedigreed antique shops that I try to stay away from). I also just picked up a high-sided, covered pan (shallower than a Dutch oven, and with a regular handle) for $15 at the local Amish store. It needs to be seasoned, though.

However, the trick to using stainless steel for things like eggs is to let the pan heat up ALL THE WAY, and use a lower heat setting than you might imagine. My DH uses high heat for everything and is continually frustrated when everything burns and sticks. I keep telling him to go lower, lower. When I cook eggs in the stainless steel, I use a low heat, let it preheat for a good 5-7 minutes, use a small amount of butter to coat the entire surface, and crack the eggs in. If they stick, it's usually just a thin skin of egg white, not enough to affect the egg. For cooking other things, if you try to flip them too quickly in stainless, they'll stick. If you let them sit a minute and release their juices, they'll come free pretty quickly. Then, when you're done and the pan is still scalding hot, pour in a few cups of water and let it sit while you eat. Don't let it cool and then try to soak it. Makes the washing up a snap.

(Can you tell we've thought about this a lot?! :D)

"Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick" - The Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith

I agree with your assessment of the cast iron. I have a pan that's just big enough to cook three fried eggs (two comfortably). That's about as heavy as I can manage. I use stainless for everything else. And I was also having trouble with the seasoning until I learned two things: 1) Crisco is the best choice for seasoning (actually, lard probably is, but we don't ever have any on hand), and 2) My mother was secretly washing it with soap! I'd told her several times when we first got it not to do so, but she either forgot or couldn't bring herself not to. When I solved those two problems, the pan started to work much better. After every use, I wash it with only hot, hot water and a washcloth (no scrubbie, no sponge that could hold leftover soap). Then I rub a thin layer of Crisco on the insides and put it on a very low flame to reseason while I was the rest of the dishes. Sometimes, if I have time to let it cool off in between, I'll even add a second coat while I'm doing something else in the kitchen. I don't generally cook much other than eggs in it, but this has worked fine for me.

HTH!

I second the shortening - it tends to not get gummy like liquid oils - but I use non-hydrogenated, organic. I would actually be concerned about lard going rancid in a pan that did not get daily use.

My only concern with "pre-seasoned" is that I don't know what they're using. Mineral oil? Something else? :001_huh:

Their site says a soy-based vegetable oil. I guess that works pretty well, unless you're allergic to soy. I already had my pan by the time I heard about that, otherwise I'd have bought one.

"Hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick" - The Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith

Bingo! I forgot about the cold oil part, too. Definitely preheat the empty pan.

I second the shortening - it tends to not get gummy like liquid oils - but I use non-hydrogenated, organic. I would actually be concerned about lard going rancid in a pan that did not get daily use.

Does this exist??? I went looking for it awhile back but couldn't find anything and gave up. How does it stay solid if it's not hydrogenated? Where do you buy it? What brand? I'm so excited!

ETA: Never mind. I must not have looked very hard! I just googled it and there it was. I wonder if I only looked in Whole Foods and didn't see it there, so I figured it didn't exist. I can't wait to get some. I don't like buttercream-style cake frosting made with just butter, so I kept Crisco on hand for the occasional homemade cake, but I hated using it. This will be the perfect alternative. Thank you!

Edited by melissel

How did you go about removing the toxins? I'm very curious. :bigear:

Lots of different things that I'm sure will be picked apart and slammed by many. LOL We started with changing their diets and giving them a variety of different supplements to support their bodies. We had to treat for parasites and chelate metals out of their bodies. We use FAR infared to get the plasticizers out. Oh all sorts of things really; far too much to condense here. It's such a complex issue and everyone is unique so different things worked for different children here.

Then they didn't have autism.

Yes, they did. I know, I live with them. :D

My grandmother (nearly 90) always wipes her iron skillets out after cooking. She never uses soap on them because soap (IE Dawn) is made to remove oils from cook ware. If something does stick, she will coat the pan in salt, add a touch of water, and scrub. She will rinse in water only. After use, she puts the skillets back in her oven after putting on a thin coating of oil - usually bacon grease. Not much at all, just a bit on a paper towel and rubbed onto the skillet. She has never had the grease go rancid, but then again, she uses her skillets daily.

I don't use bacon grease, but I do use vegetable oil or olive oil in mine.

Lodge is the only US iron skillet company left, if I remember right. At one time there were many more companies. Some were considered to be better than lodge and those pans are prized at antique stores and flea markets. I have bought some at flea markets and such that have some light rust, cleaned them, reseasoned them, and they have worked wonderfully for a fraction of the cost. Just avoid those obviously painted or so rusted they will be pitted.

Chemicals don't explain why the cluster of spectrum kids is very high in Silicon valley but the types of people who work there sure is- many people who would have been labeled Aspergers or one of the other milder syndromes having children who exhibit worse problems. I don't claim to have the answers but I think one part is the lack of labeling or the mislabeling in earlier years. I grew up in the 60s and 70s not knowing any autistic children even though I did know some with Down Syndrome and other mental disabilities. But looking back, I think there were some mild autistic children about, they just concentrated in the chess club or HAM operator club. I was involved in other areas. While I do understand why autistic children need special education, I am not sure that these kids who may very well be labeled Asperger's today needed it. They seemed to do well in school and formed their own social grouping of similarly focused and different people by the time they were in jr. high or high school.

Lots of different things that I'm sure will be picked apart and slammed by many. LOL We started with changing their diets and giving them a variety of different supplements to support their bodies. We had to treat for parasites and chelate metals out of their bodies. We use FAR infared to get the plasticizers out. Oh all sorts of things really; far too much to condense here. It's such a complex issue and everyone is unique so different things worked for different children here.

Why then post that there was a way to do it and not share that information? Who cares if you get slammed? I'm sure if what you truly experienced with your children was Autism and you truly were able to cure them from it, that MANY parents would like to have that information. Don't you think?

Does this exist??? I went looking for it awhile back but couldn't find anything and gave up. How does it stay solid if it's not hydrogenated? Where do you buy it? What brand? I'm so excited!

ETA: Never mind. I must not have looked very hard! I just googled it and there it was. I wonder if I only looked in Whole Foods and didn't see it there, so I figured it didn't exist. I can't wait to get some. I don't like buttercream-style cake frosting made with just butter, so I kept Crisco on hand for the occasional homemade cake, but I hated using it. This will be the perfect alternative. Thank you!

Whole Foods carries Spectrum. I prefer Jungle. (I prefer the company, and the shortening) I never thought to look on Lodge's site for what they season with... good to know. I'm stalking some cast iron muffin pans (as my old nonstick ones are flaking and rusting - I use liners). Thanks!

Why then post that there was a way to do it and not share that information? Who cares if you get slammed? I'm sure if what you truly experienced with your children was Autism and you truly were able to cure them from it, that MANY parents would like to have that information. Don't you think?

She never said "cured." Recovery is a commonly used term in the autism community for removal of visible symptoms and the ability to function as a neurotypical individual. Because autism is diagnosed based on observable characteristics rather than say a blood test, it is impossible to know the cause of each individual case of autism. It is generally believed that there are multiple causes of autism. If Wylie's children recovered from removing toxins then that would be a good indication that toxins were at least partly responsible for causing the autism. For those who pursue a biomedical approach to autism, the list of treatments can be quite long and complicated. She gave quite a list already, but if you want to learn more this website is good start:

http://www.generationrescue.org/

(And if you're not a Jenny McCarthy fan, just ignore all the references to her -- it was still a great resource before she became the spokesperson).

Edited by argsmommy
clarity

The boards have been a little touchy lately, don't you think? I know I am even more sensitive when talking about my kids (more than even my bathing suit or my tattoos! :D) so I can understand her hesitation to post. This subject brings up a lot of frustration. Perhaps a PM conversation or merely posted links would work... though I agree there are many here that would like the info. Just trying to help!

Sorry, but I was distracted while posting this morning. First, I care if I get slammed - I get tired of people telling me we didn't do what we have done; second they are not cured, they are recovered. I have to make that distinction... :) You can recover from a car wreck but you cannot be cured of it - it's a similar process with autism recovery.

There are so many details, understand this was with 3 different children so I'll try to give a brief synopsis and people can feel free to pm or whatever if they want further information. It may surprise you to know that many people DON'T want to know how to recover children b/c they listen to the hyperbole put out there that says there is nothing to help these kids. However since you seem interested here it is:

Child #1

Diet (over time we slowly removed gluten, casein, soy, sugar, artificials, anything that feeds yeast - pretty much eat only whole foods) We have now stayed on the Body Ecology diet for about 2 years

Supplementation (far too many to list here but each was addressed to a specific need a test showed was necessary)

Chiropractic care

Chelation

Occupational therapy

Neurofeedback

FAR infared sauna (in the form of a biomat)

Child #2

Diet (same as above)

Supplementation (same as above)

Chiropractic care

Chelation

OT

ST

Neurofeedback

Child #3

Diet (same as above - but much more strict as she was allergic to all but 6 foods for a very long time)

Chiropractic

Chelation for only about 6 rounds then switched to B12 shots - she could not tolerate chelation so this was to stimulate her methylation cycle so her body would detox itself

NAET

Energy work

Ok that's the basics that worked here. There are many things that can be done to help the kids detox. My thoughts are that if a child looks like they have autism, behave like they have autism, get a dx of autism, then it IS autism. If detoxification rids them of the autism, then their autism is a cause of environmental poisoning but it was still autism. There are thousands of children being recovered like mine are but it's with means that many find controversial. You can read more at www.autism.com if you want generalized science and information. Be aware that it is NOT traditional mainstream medicine you will read about so if that sort of thing offends you , don't click on the link.

She never said "cured." Recovery is a commonly used term in the autism community for removal of visible symptoms and the ability to function as a neurotypical individual. Because autism is diagnosed based on observable characteristics rather than say a blood test, it is impossible to know the cause of each individual case of autism. It is generally believed that there are multiple causes of autism. If Wylie's children recovered from removing toxins then that would be a good indication that toxins were at least partly responsible for causing the autism. For those who pursue a biomedical approach to autism, the list of treatments can be quite long and complicated. She gave quite a list already, but if you want to learn more this website is good start:

http://www.generationrescue.org/

(And if you're not a Jenny McCarthy fan, just ignore all the references to her -- it was still a great resource before she became the spokesperson).

The boards have been a little touchy lately, don't you think? I know I am even more sensitive when talking about my kids (more than even my bathing suit or my tattoos! :D) so I can understand her hesitation to post. This subject brings up a lot of frustration. Perhaps a PM conversation or merely posted links would work... though I agree there are many here that would like the info. Just trying to help!

Thanks! We were all posting at the same time but you girls said it better than I did. :D

Sorry, but I was distracted while posting this morning. First, I care if I get slammed - I get tired of people telling me we didn't do what we have done; second they are not cured, they are recovered. I have to make that distinction... :) You can recover from a car wreck but you cannot be cured of it - it's a similar process with autism recovery.

There are so many details, understand this was with 3 different children so I'll try to give a brief synopsis and people can feel free to pm or whatever if they want further information. It may surprise you to know that many people DON'T want to know how to recover children b/c they listen to the hyperbole put out there that says there is nothing to help these kids. However since you seem interested here it is:

Child #1

Diet (over time we slowly removed gluten, casein, soy, sugar, artificials, anything that feeds yeast - pretty much eat only whole foods) We have now stayed on the Body Ecology diet for about 2 years

Supplementation (far too many to list here but each was addressed to a specific need a test showed was necessary)

Chiropractic care

Chelation

Occupational therapy

Neurofeedback

Child #2

Diet (same as above)

Chiropractic care

Chelation

OT

ST

Neurofeedback

Child #3

Diet (same as above - but much more strict as she was allergic to all but 6 foods for a very long time)

Chiropractic

Chelation for only about 6 rounds then switched to B12 shots - she could not tolerate chelation so this was to stimulate her methylation cycle so her body would detox itself

NAET

Energy work

Ok that's the basics that worked here. There are many things that can be done to help the kids detox. My thoughts are that if a child looks like they have autism, behave like they have autism, get a dx of autism, then it IS autism. If detoxification rids them of the autism, then their autism is a cause of environmental poisoning but it was still autism. There are thousands of children being recovered like mine are but it's with means that many find controversial. You can read more at www.autism.com if you want generalized science and information. Be aware that it is NOT traditional mainstream medicine you will read about so if that sort of thing offends you , don't click on the link.

Thank you for the more detailed reply.