Menu

Question about horseback riding lessons

Dd 8 has been taking lessons for about a year. We barter with the farm next door - my husband works on her tractor when needed and my daughter takes free weekly lessons. DD has always loved horses and hopes to own one someday.

My question is, what are your goals for your riding lessons? DD's teacher is heavy into competitions and horse shows, as I'm assuming most trainers are. She has other girls she trains around my daughter's age who are very good and compete often. DD on the other hand, is not interested in all. She is very shy and just likes to ride because she loves horses and loves being with them. She is not competition-driven. Personally, I'm happy about these because those horse shows are expensive and we'd never be able to afford it anyway.

I've gotten the impression from the trainer that she feels like she's wasting her time because she doesn't see where all this is going. Being competition oriented, she sees that as the end goal, whereas we don't. DD just wants to learn as much as she can, not just about riding but about taking care of horses, in the hopes of having her own eventually.

Just curious for those whose children ride, what are your goals? Do you compete, or just ride for pleasure? Just curious.

thanks so much for your input!!

Lisa

My dd8 is just starting lessons. She was given the choice between Western and English and she chose Western, partly because she wasn't interested in jumping or competing.

She's exactly like your dd in that she wants to learn all she can about caring for a horse and all that goes with it in the hopes of having one of her own someday.

I don't know why the person who is giving your dd lessons doesn't understand where your dd is coming from, but maybe over time she'll start to get it?

We changed instructors for the exact same reasons. My daughter loves horses and wants to eventually own her own horse, so that is our goal. Our former instructor was very heavy into competition and shows. Our present instructor teaches the child how to own a horse along with the riding lessons. It is wonderful!

In the future, we might lean more towards showing, but I don't know. We will see. This is working perfectly for us right now.

Becoming a good horseman and learning equitation is a worthy goal, in and of itself. I am starting lessons soon just to learn more about how my horse moves and so that I can become a better, more well rounded rider. I do not plan to compete. Depending on what your trainer competes in, she may be stalled in teaching your child. A lot of trainers teach to a particular class. In other words, they teach the skills required to compete in a particular class like western pleasure. If your trainer is teaching to that class, your daughter will never learn how to do many, many other skills of higher equitation. But there is so much more to learn! Try to do some research on your own about what you would like your daughter to learn. Read books/ articles/ magazines by John Lyons, Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Lynn Palm, Bob Avila, Stacy Westfall or others. You will start to understand skills that your daughter doesn't have and can discuss them with her trainer. Don't let her negativity about not competing infect you. She is 100% wrong.

Yikes, I guess I'm in the minority here! My daughter has been riding for about four years now and competing for three of them. I'm of the mindset that this sport is very, very expensive and if the goal is to not show, then why spend the huge amount of money. Now don't get me wrong...I'm NOT saying that people should start showing the minute they start riding but...if they continue with the sport and become very good, then why wouldn't you show? There is so much more to riding than getting on a horse and riding around a ring. This sport has taught my daughter so much more but she has also become a beautiful, talented rider and she needs to be able to do something with her talent and that's why we show. So, I do think that your daughter's trainer is right, maybe she's a bit gruff in her presentation and by the sounds of it, your daughter is no where near ready to show yet being a new rider, but I credit your trainer for looking to the future. It shows me that she knows what she's talking about. There is nothing wrong with your child just wanting to learn how to ride so that some day she can own her own horse, that's awesome, but showing can be alot of fun (sometimes not so much) so don't totally abandon the idea.

My dd is going to start riding lessons this fall, and she too just loves horses and being with horses. That is our goal, to get her comfortable with them and learn to care for and ride them. My dd is not very competitive either unless it involves one upping her brothers lol.

We have found two instructors that are willing to teach kids what they want to know and not push them into something they do not want to do.

Yikes, I guess I'm in the minority here! My daughter has been riding for about four years now and competing for three of them. I'm of the mindset that this sport is very, very expensive and if the goal is to not show, then why spend the huge amount of money.

Why must there always be a goal involved around competition? What's wrong with teaching our children that it is okay to learn to do something for the pleasure of doing it? Riding is a wonderful skill to have and a hobby that can be carried on through life.

Yes, horseback riding lessons are expensive. But so are golf lessons, batting cage fees, tennis lessons, music lessons, etc. I bet there are children represented here who participate in those activities but do not have the intention of competing in the respective area.

My DD loved horses. She grew up riding my inlaws horses and dreamed of having her own horse. Well, we bought her one and she was happy, rode very day and took wonderful care of the horse. Then she was encouraged to begin showing. The expenses increased dramatically (show clothes, show saddle, trailer fees, entry fees, picture fees, hotel/campground fees, special shoes from the farrier). Extra time was devoted to perfecting little nuances (the way the horse held her head at the trot, the slight movement of a leg in the stirrup). The focus went from having fun with her horse to shaving off precious seconds during pole bending.

The back biting in show circles was terrible. You had to have a particular trainer, come from a particular barn, have a particular pedigree. Without those things it didn't matter if you had the best horse - you weren't going to win. Horse judging is subjective in halter, horsemanship, showmanship. If the judge has a particular idea of what he is looking for and you don't have it you have lost before you enter the arena. The only things that are objective are the speed events. Then it's you and your horse against the clock.

DD, who has always disliked competition, woke up one day and said no more. That was two years ago and she hasn't ridden since. The shows killed her joy and wounded her spirit. After months of paying for a horse that wasn't being ridden I decided to give riding a try. I have been riding for a year and have no intentions of showing. I much prefer riding the trails and enjoying my beautiful mare for what she is - an awesome companion.

My dd is the same. She had the option of taking 30 min riding lessons or a 2 hour group ride. She chose the group ride, because it gave her more time with the horses and also included horse care and tacking up the horses. She is very happy with her choice.

Why must there always be a goal involved around competition? What's wrong with teaching our children that it is okay to learn to do something for the pleasure of doing it? Riding is a wonderful skill to have and a hobby that can be carried on through life.

Yes, horseback riding lessons are expensive. But so are golf lessons, batting cage fees, tennis lessons, music lessons, etc. I bet there are children represented here who participate in those activities but do not have the intention of competing in the respective area.

My DD loved horses. She grew up riding my inlaws horses and dreamed of having her own horse. Well, we bought her one and she was happy, rode very day and took wonderful care of the horse. Then she was encouraged to begin showing. The expenses increased dramatically (show clothes, show saddle, trailer fees, entry fees, picture fees, hotel/campground fees, special shoes from the farrier). Extra time was devoted to perfecting little nuances (the way the horse held her head at the trot, the slight movement of a leg in the stirrup). The focus went from having fun with her horse to shaving off precious seconds during pole bending.

The back biting in show circles was terrible. You had to have a particular trainer, come from a particular barn, have a particular pedigree. Without those things it didn't matter if you had the best horse - you weren't going to win. Horse judging is subjective in halter, horsemanship, showmanship. If the judge has a particular idea of what he is looking for and you don't have it you have lost before you enter the arena. The only things that are objective are the speed events. Then it's you and your horse against the clock.

DD, who has always disliked competition, woke up one day and said no more. That was two years ago and she hasn't ridden since. The shows killed her joy and wounded her spirit. After months of paying for a horse that wasn't being ridden I decided to give riding a try. I have been riding for a year and have no intentions of showing. I much prefer riding the trails and enjoying my beautiful mare for what she is - an awesome companion.

:iagree:

Well put!

Unfortunately, I find it to be the same in the world of dog shows. Not so much the expense, but definitely the back biting and nastiness.

This is an answer that stretches far back in time (ancient history if you must) to my childhood. I grew up riding and showing horses. I'm a bit surprised at the idea of having goals to start with when it comes to horses. Like many young girls, I was horse-crazy. My parents obliged when they could with lessons at a local stable. It was enough just to occasionally ride and breathe horses. No goals. Just making an 8-year-old ecstatic.

A couple years later, my folks stumbled on a piece of property with a barn and 4 stalls. We started by buying two older, poorly-trained horse from friends. We weren't quite sure what to do with them; however, the barn down the road had a trainer and lessons. We were fortunate. This man and his wife showed horses but I think of him more as a horse whisperer. He wanted us to truly love and appreciate the animals for what they are. My experience down the road was that the best trainers always have this passion first.

There were other younger riders at the barn and soon we had a 4-H group. We started showing at county and state fairs. Different horses and people came into our lives. An amazing Welsh pony for my sister that could go Western, hunt seat, saddle seat, and could drive moved us into breed shows. A retired Thoroughbred race horse took us to Thoroughbred shows. And I have no clue how we ended up breeding and showing Arabians.

My long-winded point is that I think of the love of horses and the enjoyment in riding them as an evolutionary process. If your daughter doesn't want to show, then if you can, find a trainer that can live with that. Find someone who places the well-being of the horse and your daughter at the top of the list. Horses are so much more than ribbons, trophies, medallions, and useless silver-plate candy dishes. She will learn a lot of hard-work and self-discipline and experience a great deal of joy even if she never steps foot in the ring.

As your daughter gets older, her goals may change. She might want to try showing. 4-H is a gentler-slightly less-expensive way to get started. I always loved showing and was fairly competitive, but 4-H remains my favorite experience.

Good luck and have a blast. Our family has many life-long friends that we made through horses.

We ride and take lessons but it is for pleasure. 95% of our riding is out on the trails. My girls have shown a bit at fun shows but they are low key, $3/class, wearing used outfits that cost under $20, etc.

We do try to take almost weekly riding lessons---we take them from a 4H instructor. She helps us with basic horse care, tacking up, safety, developing our seat and quiet hands, etc. Often she goes on trail rides with us at the end of the lesson or as the lesson to teach us how to cross the roads safely, what to do when you come across dogs, snakes, etc., how to navigate up and down hills, water, sand, etc.

There is a LOT more to riding than just showing in a ring. That is fine if showing in a ring is what she wants, if not, maybe she would like speed events, trail riding, or other types of riding better.

This is an answer that stretches far back in time (ancient history if you must) to my childhood. I grew up riding and showing horses. I'm a bit surprised at the idea of having goals to start with when it comes to horses. Like many young girls, I was horse-crazy. My parents obliged when they could with lessons at a local stable. It was enough just to occasionally ride and breathe horses. No goals. Just making an 8-year-old ecstatic.

A couple years later, my folks stumbled on a piece of property with a barn and 4 stalls. We started by buying two older, poorly-trained horse from friends. We weren't quite sure what to do with them; however, the barn down the road had a trainer and lessons. We were fortunate. This man and his wife showed horses but I think of him more as a horse whisperer. He wanted us to truly love and appreciate the animals for what they are. My experience down the road was that the best trainers always have this passion first.

There were other younger riders at the barn and soon we had a 4-H group. We started showing at county and state fairs. Different horses and people came into our lives. An amazing Welsh pony for my sister that could go Western, hunt seat, saddle seat, and could drive moved us into breed shows. A retired Thoroughbred race horse took us to Thoroughbred shows. And I have no clue how we ended up breeding and showing Arabians.

My long-winded point is that I think of the love of horses and the enjoyment in riding them as an evolutionary process. If your daughter doesn't want to show, then if you can, find a trainer that can live with that. Find someone who places the well-being of the horse and your daughter at the top of the list. Horses are so much more than ribbons, trophies, medallions, and useless silver-plate candy dishes. She will learn a lot of hard-work and self-discipline and experience a great deal of joy even if she never steps foot in the ring.

As your daughter gets older, her goals may change. She might want to try showing. 4-H is a gentler-slightly less-expensive way to get started. I always loved showing and was fairly competitive, but 4-H remains my favorite experience.

Good luck and have a blast. Our family has many life-long friends that we made through horses.

Beautiful post!

One of the things that bothers me the most is when people call equestrian sports a "hobby" and one of the posters here just did. I don't consider it a "hobby" when my 14 year old daughter gets on the back of 1200 lb. of unpredictability and successfully jumps over a four foot jump. I call that great skill. I consider horse back riding (at the advanced level) to be a skill that not many people can master and it's rude to call it a hobby because not all people want to just go on trail rides. When my daughter started riding, we went into this SPORT with the intention of her going as far with it as she could. We know she will never make money in equestrian sports but she does it because she too, loves horses and wants to know as much about them as she can. It really bothers me that people get angry at those of us who choose to show our horses. Yes, it is expensive but as with anything, if you want it badly enough, or you are good enough at it, there are ways to make showing happen. I'm a single mom and we can make it happen so I know from first hand experience that it can be done. I would never, ever tell my daughter or those that she shows with that her experience with horses is just a "hobby". To some it is, yes I agree, but to many, it's much, much more than that. Another thing, our goal isn't the competition, our goal in horse showing is to realize just how far my daughter can take her horse, or any horse and do well. I have taught my daughter well, in that, she doesn't walk around bashing other rider's or horses. She goes to shows to prove to herself that she can ride. Yes, there are kids (and adults) who lie and cheat just to get ahead in the show ring, my daughter is not one of them. "the dragon academy" I"m sorry that your daughter's joy and spirit were wounded but that's life. We need to be teaching our children that winning is NOT everything but that it is okay to feel proud and give God the glory when they do win a class and yes, horse shows are biased and sometimes crappy but what in life isn't. Just because you don't agree with horseshowing, don't put down those of us who are very invovled in it.

I think that riding can be a sport (like your dd rides) or a hobby (like we ride) just as some golf, swim, play ball, sail, etc. for the fun of it and others are very into the sport.

I think the original poster was wondering if there were other options other than higher level shows for horseback riding.

If your daughter likes to show and does well, that is great. I enjoy going to horse shows and seeing well trained horses ridden by very talented riders. Even more though, I enjoy riding down the trails with my girls on our not so highly trained (but great with water, turkey, deer, and horse eating garbage cans) horses. We are not talented like your daughter but can enjoy riding as our hobby.

"the dragon academy" I"m sorry that your daughter's joy and spirit were wounded but that's life. We need to be teaching our children that winning is NOT everything but that it is okay to feel proud and give God the glory when they do win a class and yes, horse shows are biased and sometimes crappy but what in life isn't. Just because you don't agree with horseshowing, don't put down those of us who are very invovled in it.

I don't recall putting you down for showing and I never said riding wasn't a sport. Nor did I say my DD no longer rode because she didn't win. She did very well and won state level competitions.

I used to compete a bit when I was younger, but had much more fun tearing around with my friends and their horses. It is much more expensive to own a horse and show, than just to own a horse.

In the shows around here it doesn't matter who has the best horse, it's all politics. Since I don't chew tobacco, and don't wear big spurs on my boots I'm automatically counted out. So even if I had the inclination I wouldn't show.

Horses are not a hobby to pick up and put down, they are a grand passion, a lifestyle, even for those who don't show.

I used to compete a bit when I was younger, but had much more fun tearing around with my friends and their horses. It is much more expensive to own a horse and show, than just to own a horse.

In the shows around here it doesn't matter who has the best horse, it's all politics. Since I don't chew tobacco, and don't wear big spurs on my boots I'm automatically counted out. So even if I had the inclination I wouldn't show.

In our area your horse won't place if it doesn't have the 4 beat lope. Any horse with the forward moving, 3 beat lope isn't even considered.

One of the things that bothers me the most is when people call equestrian sports a "hobby" and one of the posters here just did. I don't consider it a "hobby" when my 14 year old daughter gets on the back of 1200 lb. of unpredictability and successfully jumps over a four foot jump. I call that great skill. I consider horse back riding (at the advanced level) to be a skill that not many people can master and it's rude to call it a hobby because not all people want to just go on trail rides. When my daughter started riding, we went into this SPORT with the intention of her going as far with it as she could. We know she will never make money in equestrian sports but she does it because she too, loves horses and wants to know as much about them as she can. It really bothers me that people get angry at those of us who choose to show our horses. Yes, it is expensive but as with anything, if you want it badly enough, or you are good enough at it, there are ways to make showing happen. I'm a single mom and we can make it happen so I know from first hand experience that it can be done. I would never, ever tell my daughter or those that she shows with that her experience with horses is just a "hobby". To some it is, yes I agree, but to many, it's much, much more than that. Another thing, our goal isn't the competition, our goal in horse showing is to realize just how far my daughter can take her horse, or any horse and do well. I have taught my daughter well, in that, she doesn't walk around bashing other rider's or horses. She goes to shows to prove to herself that she can ride. Yes, there are kids (and adults) who lie and cheat just to get ahead in the show ring, my daughter is not one of them. "the dragon academy" I"m sorry that your daughter's joy and spirit were wounded but that's life. We need to be teaching our children that winning is NOT everything but that it is okay to feel proud and give God the glory when they do win a class and yes, horse shows are biased and sometimes crappy but what in life isn't. Just because you don't agree with horseshowing, don't put down those of us who are very invovled in it.

I missed where anyone called it a hobby. Nothing that requires you to get up and clean stalls before breakfast at 5:30am, go to school, come home and trailer a horse out an hour or more to work with the right trainer and do school work in the car is hobby. Nothing that requires the discipline, hard work and expense involved with horses, is a hobby-whether you show or not. And no one bashed horse showing. I think that the point is, is it's not for everyone. You don't usually start out in the show ring but you often end up there. Your dd has chosen to stretch her skills as a horsewoman; that is fantastic and to be respected. But the young person who spends hours currying her horse, picking up his stall, and perfecting her riding skills is to be respected too regardless of whether or not she shows. She is just as serious about her love for horses.

Remudamom is absolutely right about it being a lifestyle and a grand passion.

IMO, showing is no more snarky or political than any sport on the elite level.

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate all your experiences.

Journey, I completely understand your passion for your daughter's skill in this sport. She sounds like a confidant and skillful rider, and it sounds like she's doing exactly what she wants to do. Most of the other girls dd's teacher coaches are very similar. They are wonderful girls, very focused and driven, excellent riders, and win many competitions. I'm just not interested, and neither is dd. I don't mind spending the money for dd to do something she loves without feeling like she needs to take it to the highest level to be justified.

I've been battling this same thing with older dd 12. She drives racecars (called junior slingshots). She is a fair driver, not great but she holds her own. She's been racing for three years every Saturday, and has only won two races. This past year I feel like she's had the joy of racing sucked out of her by this pressure to win, win, win. Many people race for recreation, not just to win. yes, I know it's nice, but it's not everything to me. She loves racing. She doesn't have many friends, but in the racing pits she feels she belongs and is part of a group.

I guess what bothers me is, what if my kids aren't particularly talented at what they enjoy doing? Should I choose that, unless they can excel in that sport it is not worthwhile to bother? Maybe someday they'll find a particularl talent or desire that drives them to push themselves to the next level or compete, and that's great. But if there is something, a sport perhaps, that brings them joy and makes them feel good, that is all I care about. I could care less about competing, truly. I want them to do what they enjoy and feel good doing it.

Anyway, I appreciate all different schools of thoughts on this. Thanks so much!!

Lisa

You might be able to find lessons cheaper---depending on what level of riding you want to do and if you/your daughter are willing to do some chores or barter other services for the lessons.

I pay $20/hour for lessons right now, using our horses and that is for all 3 of us in a group less---not $20 per person but for all 3 of us. I have traded rides in my trailer, use of our camping trailer, wood for woodstoves, etc. for lessons as well.

Check to see if there are any 4H clubs in your area. Many of those leaders will give lessons at a reasonable price. You might also find an older, experienced highschool or college student that will do lessons cheaper. Just make SURE (as with any lessons) that the horse is the right type of mount for the rider's skill level and that safety is foremost.

do you mind me asking....how much are you paying for riding lessons? around here, it is very expensive - $50.00 per one hour lesson!

At the barn my boys ride at, the lessons are $25/lesson (1 hour total) if you prepay a month at a time. I don't remember what they are individually. The one hour includes tacking, riding, and whatever you call it after you ride (removing the tack and brushing down the horse), with at least 30 minutes on horseback.

I have heard of kids exchanging work for lessons at our barn (we haven't done that yet, although the boys have worked at the barn...it's a long story!). So if your child is old enough, you might ask for a barter system...it's a great lesson for the kids to learn how much work it is to take care of a horse :)

Blessings,

Rita

When I charge, and that isn't very often, I only charged $20 an hour. Enough to pay for the kids' pizza on nights I was riding and didn't want to cook.

And right now I'd give a lot for a little girl/boy that could exercise my pony on a regular basis.

When I charge, and that isn't very often, I only charged $20 an hour. Enough to pay for the kids' pizza on nights I was riding and didn't want to cook.

And right now I'd give a lot for a little girl/boy that could exercise my pony on a regular basis.

Can I just send my dd10 to you for the summer?:lol: She has my horse gene;).

My dd started lessons in April. Her goal is to have her own horse someday. We thought that in having lessons, she would become familiar with horses and learn what owning a horse entails. When I asked about lessons, I told the woman what our goal was in taking lessons. We have been so happy with how everything has turned out. The woman's dd (15 yrs. old) is the one giving the lessons. This girls is an amazing teacher. My dd enjoys her lessons so much. I'm not sure if this will lead to showing or not. We will cross that bridge when/if we need to. For now, my dd is just enjoying being with this horse.

Btw, we pay $20 for an hour and a half.

My dd started lessons in April. Her goal is to have her own horse someday. We thought that in having lessons, she would become familiar with horses and learn what owning a horse entails. When I asked about lessons, I told the woman what our goal was in taking lessons. We have been so happy with how everything has turned out. The woman's dd (15 yrs. old) is the one giving the lessons. This girls is an amazing teacher. My dd enjoys her lessons so much. I'm not sure if this will lead to showing or not. We will cross that bridge when/if we need to. For now, my dd is just enjoying being with this horse.

Btw, we pay $20 for an hour and a half.

Edited by LibraryLover

We went searching for a trainer that would not only teach our 10 yo dd how to ride, but to understand and know horses better. Our dd loves horses first of all for the shear beauty and wonder of them as animals, and we wanted to nurture her interest in them. Like others have mentioned on this thread, our dd hopes to have her own horse one day and so we wanted her to know how to care for them properly, even how to muck stables and do the corresponding chores. She has very little interest in being in competitions and I couldn't be happier.

We were very blessed to find a young 21 yo woman who is not only from a homeschool family less than two miles from us, but who has the right goals and philosophy to match our daughter's interest. Our friendship with this young woman has expanded to include her family and ours, and it has become a beautiful friendship we can all share.

There isn't anything wrong with competing with horses, but a girl's love of animals and learning to be disciplined and responsible are at the heart of why we are supportive and provide the lessons. I know that if we were in the op's situation, we would be looking for a trainer that is a better fit.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. We pay $25 per hour for lessons.

I find this to be an interesting thread! For my early childhood, I begged my parents for a pony and finally got 2 (!) for my 8th birthday (technically one was my sister's). We learned to ride the old fashioned way - parents put us on and let go... and we survived, though I don't necessarily advocate that method.

Three years and many miles later my dad realized we were serious about riding and got us English lessons. Since we already had terrific balance, etc, we only had to learn small technique thingies (and jumping) and started showing within a month. By 14 I was training my own and was a regular guinea pig rider for new horses acquired by the stable I rode at.

I have oodles of ribbons in English (and Western gaming), year end trophies, and many fond memories, but shortly after college the competition bug left me. Now we have our own farm, 25 ponies here (current number before 5 leave for training this fall and any other sales), and hardly do any riding at all. My passion has morphed to simply loving raising the babies... and soon it will morph even more to just selling out (as my boys leave home and I lose my stable hands). We haven't done a lick of showing since we started raising ponies and I don't miss it one bit. I do, however, still raise show ponies as that's where the money is...

My boys never got the horse gene and have only ridden trails (when they rode). I tried lessons for maybe a year. They weren't impressed and I stopped as I was wasting my money.

There is the whole gamut out there from hobby (which we are now) to sport (where many of my ponies are destined). As long as it remains FUN for people, that's what counts. Quite honestly, only a small portion of horse owners show. I used to know the percentage, but it slips my mind now. There are far more that keep them for pleasure riding and/or trails.

There are trainers around us that focus on showing and those that focus on riding - and probably several in between. Since your lessons are free, I'd probably stay there (economics is important after all), but if not, then I'd look at switching to better match your desires.