Menu

Baking bread and how to eat it

I have a bread machine that I love to use, but it makes a big solid loaf of bread with a crisper crust and soft inside. It's delicious but hard to slice. We end up with pieces that are either too thin and have holes in them or big ole honkin pieces that are useless when it comes to sandwiches. I grew up on white sliced bread and I like to use bread for toast and sandwiches. Is homemade baked bread just not used the same as regular sliced bread?

I have had the best luck letting it sit until completely cooled after brushing the top with butter or a little vegetable oil. You need a really sharp serrated knife.

Holes in the bread means it was left to rise too long before baking (unless you were talking about slicing errors?). Have you tried using it to knead and proof the dough only and then baking it in a loaf pan in the oven? This is what my mom does with hers. (I've told her she should just get a mixer.)

I bake bread by hand, so I'm not sure what the differences between a regular loaf and a machine loaf would be, but I generally don't have issues slicing bread. I just use a bread knife (serrated, long blade). My husband cuts wacky-thick slices, but I think that's just him...

They have slicing guides you can use if you're really having trouble with it.

I make homemade bread, but I make it by hand. We use it just like pre-sliced bread. Your crust should not be that hard. The crusts on my homemade bread are often much finer and less "crusty" than store-bought.

Perhaps the temperature setting on your machine is off??? I know nothing about bread machines, though.

If the bread is falling apart (not due to the crust causing slicing problems) perhaps it was not kneaded enough and the gluten didn't develop well.???

Good luck!

The hole is likely from the dough blade in her machine.

The hard crust and big hole were the biggest reason I gave up on the bread machine. A better, low -labor intensive method is to just use a stand mixer for kneading. Or all by hand.

Try putting your bread in a ziploc bag overnight before slicing.

The holes were due to our trying to slice too thin. :tongue_smilie:

However, I would absolutely LOVE to learn how to bake bread without the machine. Truly, I have absolutely no idea. I've lived with store bought bread all my life. Not even my grandmother's made homemade bread. It's such a foreign idea to me!

We make our sandwich bread in the bread machine... just cannot get over how convenient it is to pop all the ingredients into the machine at bedtime, set the timer on the machine, and wake up to fresh bread in the morning. :D

I bought a bread slicer guide for the kids to use (it's not perfect, but it helps). And a serrated bread knife, which makes it SO much easier to cut.

The recipe I use produces a pretty firm/dense loaf... the texture may also make it a little easier to slice.

Using a bread machine to make dough is a great way to transition to baking your own bread (or just do this indefinitely)! I did this for years because I didn't like the way the machine baked the crust, and I didn't know how to make it otherwise.

Your machine probably has a setting for making dough only. When it's finished, take it out to shape it. (Here's one way to do it.) Put it in a loaf pan sprayed with non-stick spray and cover it with either a dish towel or plastic wrap (sprayed with non-stick spray). Let it rise until about doubled (usually at least 30 minutes), and bake at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. If you want an objective measure of doneness, the internal temp. should be 190 F, or they say it should sound hollow when thumped. Take it out of the pan and put onto a cooling rack as soon as possible to avoid soggy bread.

Warm bread is so good, but it slices much easier when it is completely cooled. A bread knife or an electric knife will give you the best slices.

HTH! Have fun!

I'm sure there are about a million others, but Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook has a really basic whole wheat bread recipe with lots of instruction and pictures that would be great to start with if you can get it from the library.

I haven't read all the responses, so I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned. I've had success with cutting the loaf in half horizontally, then slicing each half into slices. If it's still warm when I slice it, then the slices have to be fairly thick (maybe 1/2" or a bit bigger). If I let the bread cool before slicing, then I can manage thinner slices.

Remove and allow to cool. Lay bread on its side, and slice a very thin slice off the bottom and discard. With the loaf still laying on its side, slice it into two halves from top to bottom (not side to side). Turn the loaf so that side that was inside the loaf is now on the board. Slice these two halves, starting at the bottom of the loaf (where the knife came out)--you are now slicing the opposite of what you sliced before, from side-to-side. The last piece will be the top of the loaf.

These are nice, uniform pieces that are not too big--about the size of a 1/2 a piece of bread.

Jean

Added: I always use a serrated knife

Edited by Jean in Wisc

My bread is the same way, from a bread machine. I honestly don't like homemade bread as sandwiches, though (yes, I've had others' bread that wasn't from a machine).

I use my bread to supplement soups and salads or as open-faced sandwiches. My favorite is sliced tomatoes with a little cheddar on top toasted.

I slice mine with an electric knife, and it does help to let the bread cool. I love my bread machine and love that it doesn't heat up my house while it bakes.

I bought an electric slicer. I also use the slicer to slice potatoes really thin for potatoes au gratin, and I use it to slice meat thin for carne asada. I love my electric slicer. It looks like a mini deli slicer, and I bought it at Macy's. It's probably overkill to buy an electic slicer, but I always go over board! :D

I just started making homemade bread. Before, I used my bread machine and I got tired of the way it baked the bread. I even let my bread machine do the kneading and then put it in the oven. It came out doughy. I have also had my machine for a good 14 yrs. That may be some of my issues.

Then I realized that my kitchen aid has a dough hook on it. I still have to knead the bread some. Wow, I don't think I will ever use my bread machine again. A good mixer is helpful.

I have never had anyone in my family make homemade bread, it was always from the store. It took me a few loafs to get it. I am not a baker. If I can bake bread I know anyone can. It is so worth it. My kids beg me to make home made bread. I even started to do some braided breads. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck, try making it homemade.

check out this book- i've been using it and it is wonderful! (the bread, of course)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312362919?ie=UTF8&tag=arbrinfimiada-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0312362919

i probably won't ever use my bread machine again, not when i just pull the dough out of my fridge and pop on a stone or loaf pan. try it, seriously!!

here's a link to the book's site- http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Edited by jentancalann

When I was using my bread maker I would just take the mixing paddle out and re-shape the bread prior to baking... and regarding slicing, if you have one good knife, get a good bread knife. It'll make all the difference in the world in your slicing.

I started with a bread machine for the whole process...

then started using it for kneading and rising only and baking in the oven...

then moved up to the KitchenAid stand mixer...

...and now do about 50/50 stand mixer/hand kneading. And my BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE book just arrived from Amazon an hour ago!!!!! I'm in BREAD HEAVEN right now!!!!!

Baking bread is what started The BIG Change about the way we eat and view food in our home. There is now very little that we don't make from scratch...

Have fun!

check out this book- i've been using it and it is wonderful! (the bread, of course)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312362919?ie=UTF8&tag=arbrinfimiada-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0312362919

i probably won't ever use my bread machine again, not when i just pull the dough out of my fridge and pop on a stone or loaf pan. try it, seriously!!

here's a link to the book's site- http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

I found a video on this at http://www.startribune.com/video/11967361.html. There are more on Google.

Guest Katia

I use our bread machine to make our sandwich bread, and it is a nice soft crust. Very much like what you purchase at the store (not white but whole wheat).

What I found when I first started baking our bread was that you have to play with the recipes to find what works for you and for your machine. I use half whole wheat and half rolled oats to get the consistency I desire with the soft crust. Really, it's just one of those things you have to play with.

But now that I've found the mix of ingredients that work for me, it's just so super easy to toss it all into the machine and turn it on.

After I slide the finished bread out of the machine and let it cool, I cut it with an electric knife. You can get really thin slices this way.

Don't give up, just read a lot of bread machine recipes and start mixing and matching ingredients. That's what I did anyway!

I know exactly what you mean about the tough crust and ginormous slices of wobbly cut bread. It's so heavenly, hot from the oven (er...bread machine) that it's worth it though! ;)

I found a great bread recipe online at tammysrecipes.com...her hubby doesn't like how homemade bread gets tough after a day or so, so he developed a recipe with natural dough conditioners that makes AWESOME homemade bread that stays soft. She also uses a bread machine, but since the bread stays soft for so long, she started experimenting with using the bread machine only to mix and rise the dough...and she put in a double batch of dough. She's been doing that weekly for a long time, and her machine is handling it just fine.

So, I've started doing the same thing...using my bread machine on the dough cycle with a double batch of ingredients...it raises the lid when it is fully risen :)

Then I take it out and put it in regular (greased) bread pans, let it rise for 20 min covered with a towel, turn on the oven, and then pop it in 10 minutes later when it's fully risen. I bake it at 350 for about 30 min. I still get the tender, awesome centers (mine isn't doughy at all inside) and now I get normal sized bread that is **perfect** for sandwiches and toast. I let it cool, slice both loaves, and store it in the fridge. We eat it in a week or less. The crust is a little softer once it's cooled and stored in bags. Here is the recipe that I use:

Soft Homemade Bread

with Honey Wheat variation

Yields 2 loaves. This bread is soft and sliceable, and is more like the texture of a good store-bought sandwich bread, but it’s made with all natural ingredients. It lasts for up to a week in the fridge. I use the bread maker to do the initial kneading, and then shape, rise and bake the dough. There are a few odd ‘secret ingredients’ that you can find at most health food stores. Once you stock up, they’ll last a long time.

Ingredients:

2 c. warm water (up to 115 degrees)

5 ½ c. unbleached flour

¼ c. sugar –we like raw sugar

2 t. salt

1/3 c. wheat gluten*

1 t. powdered lecithin*

¼ c. ground flax seed (optional, but yummy!)

2 T powdered milk (or omit water and use milk)

¼ c. butter (1/2 stick)

1 T. yeast

1/8 t. citric acid (or vitamin C powder)*

1/8 t. powdered ginger*

Honey Wheat Variation:

Follow directions above, but add in ¼ c. honey with the water, and substitute whole wheat flour for all or some of the unbleached flour. I like a light wheat with 3 c. unbleached and 2 ½ c. whole wheat flour.

Directions:

Put the ingredients into your bread machine bowl in order listed. Start on dough setting. I like to watch and poke it a few times with the handle of a spatula to make sure it all gets mixed in. When dough is done, deflate it. Divide in two and shape into 2 loaves.

Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled. I start pre-heating the oven about 25 minutes after putting them out to rise. Set your oven at 350, and bake for 30 minutes.

When bread is done, place it on a cooling rack and cover with a tea towel until it is cool. You can slice it now, or refrigerate it in a sealed bag or container. It slices easily when cool/cold, and stays soft. We store our bread in the fridge, and it lasts until we eat it all up…which isn’t very long. J

* The secret ingredients that make this bread so soft, light, and keep it fresh:

Gluten: occurs naturally in wheat. We’re adding more, to increase the elasticity and softness of the dough as it rises.

Lecithin: a natural emulsifier, lecithin helps your fats bond to the water for a softer final loaf.

Citric Acid: or vitamin C. Just a pinch or two of added acidity makes a friendlier environment for the yeast to grow.

Powdered Ginger: the kind you find on your spice aisle. This secret ingredient is a yeast-booster.