Menu

Question for all ya Landlords

What circumstances would cause a prospective landlord to tell a renter applicant that they wouldn't rent to them because they "couldn't trust them."

Bil & sil are in default and they're trying to secure a rental before they're evicted. And this is the message they were given when they tried to rent.

I have my own theory, but I'm interested to hear what you think.

We use an online credit report agency where we can input our minimum requirements for a tenant (credit-wise). This online source checks their credit report (with their written permission, of course), job history, and history of renting and spits us out results. If they don't match our criteria, it prints a rejection letter for us. By using this system online, it gets rid of the chance of prejudice for other reasons... and kind of makes it more official.

For what it's worth, we have made exceptions three times based on 'feelings.' Once we got really burned. Two other times it's worked out ok or very well. Numbers aren't everything, but if they match feelings, then we definitely don't rent. It'd cost us more to evict and fix...

I, personally, wouldn't use the 'don't trust you' wording... just the facts.

We use an online credit report agency where we can input our minimum requirements for a tenant (credit-wise). This online source checks their credit report (with their written permission, of course), job history, and history of renting and spits us out results. If they don't match our criteria, it prints a rejection letter for us. By using this system online, it gets rid of the chance of prejudice for other reasons... and kind of makes it more official.

For what it's worth, we have made exceptions three times based on 'feelings.' Once we got really burned. Two other times it's worked out ok or very well. Numbers aren't everything, but if they match feelings, then we definitely don't rent. It'd cost us more to evict and fix...

Glad to hear that you've at least been willing to make exceptions - there is so much more to a person than their credit record. Low credit ratings can be caused by all sorts of situations - doesn't necessarily mean that the individual can't be trusted to pay their rent. :)

(written as a renter with a not-so-great credit score thingamajig)

My husband and I have been renting homes for 20 years now. We have relied on credit reports and other background checks and have had great renters that entire time. We have passed over renters due to not "trusting" them to either pay rent or care for our properties with respect but did not tell the prospective tenants that - we just rented to someone else.

BTW, we have rented to people with bad credit and just charged more rent for our increased risk and took a higher security deposit. Everyone involved was happy with this arrangement.

Our rental agent told us about a particular potential tenant and we had a gut feeling to say no. I can't remember, but there was a sad story in there...but it didn't bode well for their sense of responsibility. It was a sense that the person had a chaotic life. We told the agent no, and she actually said "I am so glad you said that, I felt so too".

It always feels different when you know the people, or you are on the other side, but it's no fun having a tenant not pay rent because their life is falling apart for any reason. For us, it would be very difficult to cover that extra money ourselves for more than a short time.

A landlord has the responsibility of paying a mortgage on the house (usually). For us, our two rental properties are our only investments- we live in rentals ourselves. As landlords, we dont have the repsonsibility to take care of strangers with difficulties, as harsh as it may sound, because it would impact on us- we are just people.

It completely depends on the type of property they are trying to rent and the neighborhood. It seems like a strange way to put it because it is not socially acceptable to phrase it that way, but that is what it comes down to. I am so sure that none of my landlords would have ever rented to us without good credit. I know when I was a landlord, I had a rental management company doing the leasing. That was best for us since we were overseas and because I would have been more picky about my tenants.

I think with their credit problems, they need to be looking for either other desperate owners who would rent to them or look for places in less upscale neighborhoods or apartment complexes. I think that most landlords are fairly picky about credit histories and problems and while they won't say they don't trust you, they will reject you anyway.

What circumstances would cause a prospective landlord to tell a renter applicant that they wouldn't rent to them because they "couldn't trust them."

Bil & sil are in default and they're trying to secure a rental before they're evicted. And this is the message they were given when they tried to rent.

I have my own theory, but I'm interested to hear what you think.

I'm curious to keep up with the outcome of this. We are also in default, but are trying to see what can be done through a "workout package" that the mortgage co sent to us. Supposedly they can lower our payment and some other options. I have a feeling they can't lower it enough, in which case we'd like to try to sell. But because we can't really talk to a human at the mortgage co (or if we do they just say "your file is in review, just hold on for now") we are not sure if we have permission to try to sell it. A short sale is probably the only option and I think we have to have their permission for that. I doubt a realtor would touch us with a 10' pole without knowing if we can even sell.

We also experienced a bad hail storm a month or so ago and need a new roof. We can't afford our deductible right now. Fortunately the damage is not very bad, just needs to get done, but we are on hold for that. Can't sell it without a new roof probably.

We feel very stuck. We have a lovely home and dh has a good and stable job (our issue was pymt increase with income decrease) it's just that this house is too much for us. I wish we would have tried to sell a long time ago but it kind of all happened at once. We'd make great renters and would pay a higher security deposit, and even a slightly higher rent (depending on the amt) and even do a direct check each month. I am now getting scared that if we do go into foreclosure, who will rent to us?:confused:

Can I get the website you use? Thanks!

If a landlord reacts to you that way, you don't want to rent from them anyway.

After being a landlord for 5 years, I'll say that you come to be able to predict pretty well who will and who won't be good tenants. You'll never be 100% perfect, of course, but you begin to have a radar.

We tend not to rent to anyone who expresses a beef about a former landlord. We don't rent to young kids( under 22 or so); we've NEVER had that go well. We don't rent to people who look like they party or look like they don't take care of their things.

In the case of your relatives, I think it's just the fact that they're in default; from the landlord's point of view, if they walk out on that contract then they're likely to walk away from a rental without proper notice, etc.

My parents have been renting homes for over 20 years. If they run a credit check and find a default, that may or may not be a problem - if they feel the people are being honest with them and that is the only big negative. However, if they run a credit report and find delinquencies all over and other bad reports dating way back, they will not trust the person to pay rent or care for the property. It has happened too often to them- promises to pay rent, then each month the rent comes slower and slower until it doesn't come at all. It becomes a bigger hassle than it is worth, especially if it moves to eviction.

My dad also made the comment just last week that this type of renter is same one that ends up doing the most damage to the property. Sometimes it is big serious damage - like stealing pipes to sell for cash. Other times it is simply that they won't call to have a repair made because they know if they call the landlord he will also ask about the rent they haven't paid. This is what my dad sees happen the most. The little repairs are left neglected until they become big repairs at the end of the lease. Or the renters try to repair it themselves, do it incorrectly or with cheap flimsy materials not appropriate for the job (so they don't have to talk to the landlord), and that leads to costly repairs down the road that should have never happened.

great. now there's talk of them moving in with us. I. am. not. happy.

It's DH's brother and evidently asking me to babysit 8 kids (our 5 + their 3) isn't asking too much. Did I mention that would be 8 kids 10 and (more) younger. Because bil and sil would be working.

I. am. borderline. $%^&%@!*%T$#@#@#!

Glad to hear that you've at least been willing to make exceptions - there is so much more to a person than their credit record. Low credit ratings can be caused by all sorts of situations - doesn't necessarily mean that the individual can't be trusted to pay their rent. :)

(written as a renter with a not-so-great credit score thingamajig)

It was never our intent to just use numbers, but rather to use them as a tool along with our judgment... and, if we do reject someone, it gives us an unbiased report as to why instead of just some mumbling something or another...

We have been burned quite badly once... and really don't want that to happen again, so try to be as careful as we can. It wasn't just that something unexpected happened to our tenant. Instead, he wouldn't hold down a job, got in trouble with alcohol, was allergic to taking out any garbage, etc, etc, etc, then knew he could stretch it out for a while via eviction. The sad thing was he had two kids... that he left alone for LONG periods of time. I can only wonder what they learned from dear ole dad.

But we have declined applications from prospective renters who had bad credit records including multiple late payments in the months after a bankruptcy. Our attitude was that it was better for the house to be vacant for a couple months than to have to deal with renters who were late or non-paying.

If someone were being evicted from their current home, I would not be likely to approve renting our house to them. I would expect that we were going to be the next creditor to not be repaid by them. I might approve them with a co-signer who had better credit or if there was a substantial deposit.

We never deal directly with tenants. That is why we have a property manager. I would expect her wording to be something along the lines of the applicant's credit history making the owner unwilling to approve their application.

It's DH's brother and evidently asking me to babysit 8 kids (our 5 + their 3) isn't asking too much. Did I mention that would be 8 kids 10 and (more) younger. Because bil and sil would be working.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I think you really need to let your DH know that this is not ok with you. I know he feels awful for them, but there ARE places that don't really worry too much about past credit, not always the first choice of places you'd want to live, but sometimes tough love is necessary. I'm guessing of course, but sounds like his brother got himself into this mess, now he needs to get himself out of it....and moving in with your family isn't really going to teach him responsiblity. That will come much quicker if they have to lower their standards and move into a cramped apartment that will accept their poor credit rating. Six month or a year of good standing with the apartment (plus no new credit messes) and they ought to be able to "move on up".

Believe me, I'm not unsympathetic to your brother's plight.....we have had our share of serious financial problems and had to seriously downgrade our lifestyle because of them. But I don't know that we'd have pulled ourselves out of the gutter we felt we were in if we'd had family to live with and care for the kids. We "made it" because in our eyes there was no other choice, not for us, but because the kids needed us to make it. It wasn't fun, it wasn't easy, but when you have no choice you do what you must to get through.

Mostly though, I think your feelings on the matter should have a large impact on the decision. If you truly feel there is no choice, you might want to make sure that the BIL and your DH come to a firm agreement about how long this will go on, that is, a date at which time BIL will move out again. So that they have a goal, and so that you have a light at the end of the tunnel. It's much easier to grit your teeth and say we'll get through this because it's only for 6 months than it is to feel there is no end in sight. Your mental and physical health needs to be accounted for here as well as their need to get on their feet.

If all else fails....put the kids down for a nap, and start calling any and all apartments in town until you find one that will accept a family of 5 with both adults working but an eviction on their credit. Be honest about their past mistakes and that they are responsibly working towards getting back on their feet. Then tell BIL about your finds!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

No, no, no! Do not allow this to occur! Help them in some other way, help them find a place to rent, even pay a higher deposit for them if needed to get them in. It will be far cheaper in the long run than letting them move in.

Why would you be watching her kids? Who's watching them now, or is she not yet working?

No, no, no! Do not allow this to occur! Help them in some other way, help them find a place to rent, even pay a higher deposit for them if needed to get them in. It will be far cheaper in the long run than letting them move in.

Why would you be watching her kids? Who's watching them now, or is she not yet working?

:iagree:

Also, :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

bil is the sahd. sil is working full-time trying to get her massage business off to a good start. DH's family is encouraging bil to "get a job" as he'll have a higher earning potential that sil. sil isn't going to give up her new role those. bil didn't loose his job. he quit a good job in order to pursue his own business, which hasn't taken off like he'd like.

I did let dh know my feeling about the whole scenario. He wasn't enthusiastic. It's his family. It's his brother.

About the renting issue. We are landlords. You said in your original post that they are looking for a place before they get evicted. If their current landlord has already started the process (at least here) I would be able to find it online. We will not rent to anyone who has an eviction. We have been burned by a lot of tenants and that is one rule we will not break. I would have told him straight out why we weren't renting to him. We have found that a lot of tenants seem to think that their rent is just cash in our pocket, that's not true. When our tenants don't pay the rent we have to come up with the mortgage anyway, the bank doesn't seem to care what our tenant's issues are. And it's our credit on the line. This means that my family does not get groceries, last year it meant curriculum was not bought till way after the school year started, it means my kids don't get to do co-op classes, and it means a ton of other cutbacks in our house to cover another mortgage payment.

Evictions are also very expensive. When it looks like a tenant can't afford the rent anymore we really try to get them to move without an eviction. We let them out of the lease and give them a deadline to leave the property. This works most of the time. The two times we have had to go through the eviction process (which costs us about $500 to do) we have also lost several months of having the home empty. Most landlords do the same as us, so if there is an eviction that has been filed on someone, it usually means the tenant really burned that landlord.

Now, we have rented to people with bad credit. A lot of the renters here have bad credit and a good credit is (we have found) no guarrentee that a tenant will pay the rent. We always have our tenants supply proof of income with their application so that dh and I know they aren't getting in over their head and going to be able to pay the rent.

We will also rent to someone who has been foreclosed on. The company who does our evictions and background checks convinced us to try to get people who have been foreclosed on in our houses. Why? Because they usually treat any home as theirs. They know how to do small repairs and in general will treat it as a long term home, not a one year place to live. They also seem to understand that we have a mortgage that's due and they have to come up with the rent.

I'm really sorry that your BIL's problems are becoming yours. I would really try to put my foot down with my dh if I was in your situation. I would also offer to help cover a larger security deposit to get them into a home of their own. With one set of tenants that we didn't want to rent to (income really wasn't there for the home they wanted to rent), but they seemed like good people who needed a chance. They offered a larger deposit and we agreed to the deposit of two months rent (usually it's just over one month). This gives us the safty of knowing we won't be out much if we do have to evict them. Usually it takes two months to get a tenant out when you evict (at least here). Maybe you could help them find something if they offer a larger deposit.

HTh

Melissa

bil is the sahd. sil is working full-time trying to get her massage business off to a good start. DH's family is encouraging bil to "get a job" as he'll have a higher earning potential that sil. sil isn't going to give up her new role those. bil didn't loose his job. he quit a good job in order to pursue his own business, which hasn't taken off like he'd like.

I did let dh know my feeling about the whole scenario. He wasn't enthusiastic. It's his family. It's his brother.

Um, was your dh unenthusiastic about your feelings on the matter? Unenthusiastic about bil & family moving in? Both? And where do you and your kids fit in with his figuring? Is there room for 5 more people in your house? What will happen to all the items from bil's house? Are they going to pay for storage? Has your dh discussed with his brother the terms of them living at your house? Are there going to be terms? Will they contribute at all to the increase in living expenses -- food, water, trash, utilities, etc? Will they pay *you* for watching their children? Will they help with home upkeep/maintenance? Who will cook the meals or will you do a "wagon" (we do this at my station - we each take turns cooking dinner according to a set schedule [i have Tuesdays -- eek! that's tomorrow] )?

I really recommend that if your dh is set on this course of action come h&ll or high water that all four adults sit down and discuss the terms of the living arrangements. The specific terms. Like they can do laundry on x & y days; we'll do laundry on a & b days (for instance). Like they'll need to pay [set amount of money toward all the different bills]. Like they have X amount of time for bil to find a job and a place for them to live. Etc, etc, etc. Needless to say you and your dh must first agree (between yourselves) what the terms are and then you present them to bil/sil together.

Please treat this as a business arrangement -- I promise it'll cut down on any ill-feelings in the future and it'll minimize future, unpleasant surprises. This is what my dh and I did with my bil - he moved into the apartment over dh's workshop (as opposed to in our house). He's lived with us for 4 or 5 years now and it's generally worked out wonderfully.