Menu

Am I the only Christian parent that lets her child read Harry Potter?

We're Christian and LOVE the Harry Potter books. My oldest just turned 11 recently and we finally let her read the first three HP books. Our 2nd dd might get to read the first three books later this year (when she's 9) because dd11 really wants to chat with her about them, lol.

We're a big fantasy-book family, though. Love the genre - we just make sure our kids understand reality from fantasy, and it's all good... :001_smile:

I strongly dislike children's books which stereotype adults as evil nincompoops, and which stereotype children as vastly intelligent and superior to adults. This is a common trait of contemporary children's books. It sometimes masquerades as humour, but I don't fall for it.

LOL! we often refer to Harry's screw-ups in applying real-life authority to adults. So many times in HP Harry finds out just how stupid he is and how well things would have gone if he had had a bit more faith in the adults, or how much better things DID go because he DID follow the advice of an adult. ;)

But I didn't really care for the writing in LoTR, so I can't agree w/ "how much better" those are. Not that HP is some beacon of literary genius, but so many "classics" just aren't that good. Diff'rent strokes and all that.

and for OP: yes, another Christian family here that reads HP. a cool book: "What's a Christian to o w/ Harry Potter?"

Like another poster, I just quietky refrain from making comments when I hear the anti-HP crowd chirp up just the same way as I generally don't broadcast our old age creationist views either. We are reformed CHristians and are quite active in any church we belong to at the time.

Ditto on all counts! (I feel like I keep my mouth closed more than it is open when mixing with my Christian friends...we too are OECs, newly-reformed -- we both grew up pretty arminian!, and not anti-HP. Oh, we're also military and get active quick in the church that we are in at the moment because ...well, we're military.)

My girls are way too little for HP, but when the time comes, I'm sure we'll consider them for the reading list...I only say consider because DD5 is prone to nightmares from scary images. But I've read all of them and enjoyed every line.

I honestly haven't read all of these posts, and it's probably been mentioned before, but they forget that the world where Harry Potter lives is different than ours. That's what fantasy IS. He's not working within a framework where the laws of science are really the same as here in real life.

I think this article is kind of old (because it only refers to "the first four" books, but it is insightful and from a decidedly thoughtful, Christian source, Ransom Fellowship.

There are many Christian families who read the "HP" books and enjoy them. Many.

There are many Christian families who don't.

We dipped into the first book shortly after it was published, and did not bother finishing it. Reading any of the others was a moot point.

I strongly dislike children's books which stereotype adults as evil nincompoops, and which stereotype children as vastly intelligent and superior to adults. This is a common trait of contemporary children's books. It sometimes masquerades as humour, but I don't fall for it.

My older boys (the only dc old enough at the time to consider the book) immediately -- and I mean immediately -- snorted with disdain at "HP". They already had read Lord of the Rings, and many other good books, so they had an innate sense of what constitutes "good writing." They dismissed Miss Rowling as a lame-brained copy-cat who did not know how to write. (I think those were among the boys' words.)

So our rejection of the book series was not for the reasons typically encountered.

Perhaps you are referring to Harry's "evil" step-family that appear in the first couple of chapters. They are betrayed as buffoons, but other adults are not represented that way. There is a reason in the storyline for the wicked step-family archetype. Otherwise, there are deeply good and highly intelligent adults and very evil, highly intelligent adults.

I've read them all and love them. My 5 yr old is too young but certainly when he's ready he can read them.

I go to a small conservative church. I'd say about 50% of the families are fine with HP and 50% aren't. Our pastor's son is one of the biggest fans. :)

We have read them all and enjoy them. In fact, the only one in the house who doesn't like them is my agnostic husband.

It's hard for me to understand what is the exact issue that people have with Harry Potter. I know those who allow no magic period and I can see that. But then there are those that say No wizards or witches but fairies and fairy godmothers are okay. Magic is okay in LOTR and Narnia but not Harry Potter. We have some families in our homeschool group that are so anti-Harry Potter that I moved all our copies to the bookshelf in my bedroom so as not to disturb the peace.

Thanks for info ! Bottom line, however, was that the dc read enough of the text that they could articulate their own well-based opinions of its flaws.

Never has been an issue around here, even for the once younger, now old enough dc. (no interest on their part) Good news is that there are plenty of great books to read out there -- enough for everybody to find what suits ! :)

Perhaps you are referring to Harry's "evil" step-family that appear in the first couple of chapters. They are betrayed as buffoons, but other adults are not represented that way. There is a reason in the storyline for the wicked step-family archetype. Otherwise, there are deeply good and highly intelligent adults and very evil, highly intelligent adults.

I'm just curious. I haven't come across any of my Christian friends who let their child(ren) read HP books (or have read them to their child(ren). Am I the only mother that allows this?

Please tell me no, please tell me no, please tell me no...;)

We are Christian. We are also very big sci-fi/fantasy buffs. Most of the movies and books in our house are of that genre. My hubby plays D&D every other week, as well as tabletop games such as Warhammer.

In short, no. When my children are old enough, they most definitely can read Harry Potter and may they enjoy it as much as I did!

My oldest daughter was in 3rd grade (at least that's when all the buzz about the book started.) I didn't allow her to have anything to do with it at that point because of our beliefs. At that point I believed her too young and impressionable to subject to wizardry and whatnot.

Now that she's almost a senior in high school and well-founded in her faith, she's reading through the series. She's old enough to discern truth from fiction and not be unduly influenced. As for my little ones--they can wait.

My husband and I used to order 2 copies of each book from Amazon -- to be delivered to our doorstep the day they were released. That way, we didn't have to share the book!

Now, our oldest has read them all at least twice, and our younger son is on book 5.

And, yup, we're Christians.

I am not sure why more Christians aren't embracing the HP series. I don't think there's been a series, since Narnia, that reveals the fundamentals of the Christian faith in such a compelling and creative narrative.

It's about redemption, love, and sacrifice. I love what J.K. Rowling has done and I'm suprised that more Christians haven't realized what the books are all about now that the last one has been in print for some time.

So, I'd encourage anyone who hasn't done so yet to read aloud the entire series with their kids and look for those Christian themes. Discuss them, analyze the characters and their motives, dig into the underlying themes and enjoy!

I'm just curious. I haven't come across any of my Christian friends who let their child(ren) read HP books (or have read them to their child(ren). Am I the only mother that allows this?

Please tell me no, please tell me no, please tell me no...;)

We read them! Matter of fact, the entire family has read them. I have my own personal set that the kids are not allowed to touch.

We will even be ordering The Sorcerer's Stone in Latin and Greek.

We have read them all and enjoy them. In fact, the only one in the house who doesn't like them is my agnostic husband.

It's hard for me to understand what is the exact issue that people have with Harry Potter. I know those who allow no magic period and I can see that. But then there are those that say No wizards or witches but fairies and fairy godmothers are okay. Magic is okay in LOTR and Narnia but not Harry Potter. We have some families in our homeschool group that are so anti-Harry Potter that I moved all our copies to the bookshelf in my bedroom so as not to disturb the peace.

I also don't understand the apparent inconsistency. I've met people who are strongly opposed to Harry Potter but don't mind fairy tales or Star Wars. I can only assume that magic is OK as long as it's called using the force. Or perhaps it's the setting that makes one story about "magic" OK but not others?