Menu

Please share your favorite read-aloud classic(s) for character-building!

amsunshine

I'll go first:

So far, for us, it's Pollyanna. This book had such a beautiful impact on my dds 6 and 7.5. They play the "glad game" all the time!

Anyone else care to share a classic (or two or three) that had a significant impact on your family or dc in terms of building character or virtue? (And why?)

Understood Betsy - about truly appreciating things and relationships. A beautiful story.

The Wheel on the School - relationships, character, perseverance...a slow start but what a good book!

The Year of Miss Agnes - just a really nice story.

All the Little House books.

Lots of others but those came to mind.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling k, 2, 2 and 5

The book I have to suggest is Christian, not sure if that matters, but we are finishing it up right now. It is The Little Pilgrim's Progress by Helen Taylor. My ds is really really loving it! Our whole family is getting so much out of finishing each short chapter and discussing something that spoke to us in it.

The Little Britches series, especially the first one (Little Britches) has some wonderful discussions between Ralph and his dad that I was able to discuss with my dc (honesty, racisim, work ethic, pride, obedience, etc.). We've read the second and third books in the series as well and they have been powerful. Highly recommended.

Swiss Family Robinson. It was also a great book about real learning and home schooling.

Hinds Feet on High Places was awesome. It made me cry over and over again.

Pinnochio...especially for naughtyish little boys.

Little House on the Prairie series

Those are some of our favorites.

Faithe

We are reading The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling right now and it is actually about following the laws and the consequences of breaking the law. The laws are of the jungle but I think the lesson applies to our lives as well. The laws were devised by a higher power (the ancient ones or first animals) to keep order, ignoring them causes little cracks in the foundation of society (the wolf pack) which leads to its destruction (it cannot be rebuilt). In the chapter we just read, Mowgli takes a jeweled tool from a buried treasure and is told it is "death"-within one day 6 men kill each other over greed-each wants to steal the jewels from the other and Mowgli who cannot understand such greed or killing without need (hunger) puts it back where he found it.

Susan

ds(8)

I'll add Heidi to the list. She learns that God has ways we don't always understand, but that he is absolutely trustworthy. She looks back on her time with Clara and sees how hard it was, but how blessed her life, Clara's life, the Doctor's life, the Grandfather's life, Peter's life, the Grandmother's life--all of them, became because of her experience.

It is truly one of my favorite books ever.

We read a couple of the G.A. Henty books this year, and I thought character was a strong theme (The Young Carthaginian and Beric the Briton)

I second (or third or fourth?) Little Britches, mentioned by a pp. That book came to my mind first as I looked back over our years of reading.

The Hundred Dresses. I think it's more applicable to dc in a traditional school setting, but a good reminder about standing up for what's right.

Oh, that's a wonderful one! And I don't think there's any reason it would be less applicable to a home schooled child. Yes, it happens to focus on one classroom of kids, but it's certainly applicable to any group dynamic where one leader emerges, and someone else is (even, in a way, inadvertently) left out or mocked or picked on... What I love especially is that it isn't really clear cut for the protagonist. She justifies her actions and her inaction in very realistic, very human ways. And it's painful to her to realize the difference between the lies she told herself and what was really happening, and her role in all of that.

It's a great book for teaching kids about compassion, and seeing the value in others -- even the unlovely.

• 4 months later...

The Hundred Dresses. I think it's more applicable to dc in a traditional school setting, but a good reminder about standing up for what's right.

There are so many that come to mind, but the very first was The Hundred Dresses. The best character-building books, imo, are those that don't hit readers over the head with the message, and this one qualifies.

I found a ton of great books at Keepersofthefaith.com

I have also recently discovered Castleberry Farms Press. They are a homeschooling family who publishes their own books. I just finished reading book 1 in their Farm Mystery series (I read everything before my girls do) and love love love it. I think it is the best book I have read so far as far as books I want my children reading.

I have also read Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince which is a book from Lamplighter Publishing and really liked that as well. I have ordered several Lamplighter books but have only had time to read that one so far, all the rest look great though.

Love, love, love this story. A young boy, lots of determination and hard work, loyalty, dedication to family and selflessness. So many virtues I want my own children to acquire and hope reading this book to them will instill in them that same desire.

Edited by storkyswan

A Little Princess and Understood Betsy are two of my favorites.

:iagree:Oh, absolutely!

Another favorite is The Chestry Oak, a rare and out-of-print book by Kate Seredy. And yet one more: The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth Goudge. Understood Betsy, the Chestry Oak, and the Little White Horse are always the top three books on my must-read list...way at the top.

We love A Little Princess, too.

Another favorite character-building book is Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. Based on the true story of Nathanial Bodwditch, a man of exemplary character. He teaches himself Latin and navigation, and shows that perseverance and hard work pay off. A very inspirational book.