Menu

Need sci fi/fantasy brain candy book recommendations for 15yo girls

My daughters are going on a long road trip with their grandparents and are looking for some light reading. They don't care much for romance in books, they like adventure and are big fantasy/sci fi fans but too many have themes I do not feel the need to have them read just yet.

Either Christian themed or at least nothing directly objectionable to the moral ethics of our faith. I'm trying to remember if Dragons of Pern has too many questionable issues. If not, something in that line would be the type of thing they'd really like. Donita K Paul has some Christian fantasy books out they like, but I think they read all of hers. We're waiting a bit longer on most Orson Scott Card since he's sometimes a little... mature? heavy? though he is another great one in that area. I haven't read all of his books though. Any of his that stay fairly mild?

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede

-Dealing with Dragons

-Calling on Dragons

-Searching for Dragons

-Talking to Dragons

(I don't think those are in the right order:001_rolleyes:)

These are not Christian, but clean and fun. I loved them, dd14 loved them and so did her friends.od

Dragons in Our Midst Series by Bryan Davis

-Raising Dragons

-The Candlestone

-Circles of Seven

-Tears of the Dragon

These are by a Christian author. I've only read the first. Dd and friends LOVE these books. Dd actually just re-read them this spring because a new one came out. There are four more books after the first four.

Dd loves any books by Shannon Hale. I haven't read these but I think they are more fairy-tale-ish though. She has also enjoyed E.D. Baker's series, again, I haven't read these.

Dd and friends have enjoyed the Viking Quest Series, too, by Lois Walfrid Johnson. Not fantasy, but from all the talk about them, pretty go, this series is Christian.

We love this genre!!

Some of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy that are fine for younger teens:

Patricia McKillip's "Riddlemaster of Hed" trilogy, she also wrote "The Forgotten Beasts of Eld" and "In the Forests of Serre," which would also be good.

Ursula LeGuin's "Earthsea" books and short stories

Have they read "The Princess Bride?" It is a fantastic book.

"The Graveyard Book" by Neil Gaiman is one my eldest and I just finished reading, we both enjoyed it.

eta: In my opinion some of the Pern books are fine for a youngish teen and some really aren't. My eldest has read the "Harper Hall" trilogy and a few other Pern books here and there but I re-read and review each one before I hand it off to her.

The Pern books definitely have some adult scenes, so you may want to hold off on those. Ditto many of Orson Scott Card's.

Patricia Wrede is GREAT. So is Diana Wynne Jones (though she has a couple of adult titles which I think are okay, been a while since I read them, most of hers are YA or juvenile and pretty clean). Jane Yolen, though she can be hit or miss ... I read some great juvenile ones and then some creepy YA ones. She's a good writer though.

Lloyd Alexander is good. Susan Fletcher is good. Susan Cooper is pretty good, Light vs. Dark, though not Christian (and I thought the end a bit depressing, but oh well).

Hmm, most of those are fantasy. I'll have to think of who does juvenile/YA science fiction. Some of Isaac Asimov's stuff is okay, though some of his novels also include adult scenes, which I found annoying.

Old obscure stuff can be fun, like the old Tom Corbett, Space Cadet series.

If they like short stories, Bruce Coville has a collection of anthologies. The quality of the stories varies, of course, by author, but overall they weren't (mostly) objectionable. Some of them were great. He's got both fantasy and sci-fi anthologies, as well as a couple horror (juvenile scary, but they scared me, LOL). He is a good writer himself, for the elementary and mid-grade age set. He picks some classic stories and some contemporary ones.

Redwall by Brian Jacques, and its sequels, are pretty popular.

All I can think of off the top of my head. The rest coming to mind are more adult ones.

I love and own all the Pern books, but I would recommend waiting on them, as the original trilogy, which is necessary, has some fairly obvious s*xual situations--not long and drawn out, but still more graphic than *I'd* be comfortable allowing a young teen to read.

Some of Andre [Mary] Norton's earliest books are pretty good. Ditto Isaac Asimov's.

Kristen mentioned Brian Jacques, I actually liked his Castaways of the Flying Dutchmen series better than Redwall. I'm not one for talking animal books (sorry, I know lots of people love them!).

eta regarding Ellie's post: I actually think quite a few of the Pern books stand on their own (especially some of the later ones like the Dolphins of Pern). Yes, you need the original trilogy to understand everything about Pern's history, etc but there's just enough history in the front of each book to make up for that a bit. I would agree that the original trilogy is definitely not teen appropriate and neither are some of the other books.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Well, I read the original Pern books at about that age and loved them. . . but I wouldn't recommend them for that age. The first two books of the Harper Hall trilogy (set on Pern)--Dragonsong and Dragonsinger--are clean. I let my son read them at 11.

I think 15 is a great age for David Eddings books too. I've only read the Belgariad and Mallorean series, so I don't know about the others.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

I echo The Princess Bride!

I can't remember (it's been too long)--is The Once and Future King by T.H. White clean?

Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 are excellent.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The White Dragon might be okay from the Pern series--don't remember any s*x scenes. I agree--Dragonsong and Dragonsinger should be fine.

Great suggestions! This points me in the right direction.

My memory did serve me well about the Pern books. They can wait on those. I told them when they're adults they can then read books with adult themes, which they seem fine with. There's a world of books and there is time. I think it would be tough for them to love a series and skip books so we may wait on the whole thing, but I can offer the first two of the Harper Hall, perhaps.

As for magic, we do draw lines depending on where it seems the magic "comes from", if that makes sense, and prefer things more Narnia-ish when there is a choice, but my girls are old enough that they are pretty discerning themselves on that issue.

I'll send some recommendations their way and let them do some research on what strikes their interest.

Thanks!

The Harper Hall trilogy are a good choice, they're written for a younger audience (that's Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums).

Some of Mercedes Lackeys' books are age/standards appropriate: The Fairy Godmother books, in particular. They're based on fairy tales (a bit reminiscent of The 10th Kingdom if you've ever seen that miniseries).

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a fun series, though it's placement of Greek mythology in the modern world may be objectionable to some on religious grounds (it is fantasy, though...).

Lloyd Alexander's books are good, too.

Robin McKinley is good.

Eragon (I don't remember the name of the series) but I recently read it and can't think of anything that would make me object to it - even recommending it for my 12yo girl cousin. I always like good thick books.

I think at that age I liked Terry Brooks a lot - but that was many years ago and I don't remember anything about them.

Mercedes Lackey I think was another good one.

Oh, how could I forget Robin McKinley? She can WRITE! Spindle's End is my current favorite, though I love The Hero and the Crown too.

I read the first Percy Jackson book and was surprised to enjoy it. Looks like a potentially fun series.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is good, both ds13 and I just read them.

John Flanagan: Ranger's Apprentice series

Tamora Pierce: Circle of Magic series

Jim C. Hines: Goblin Quest (there are 3, all with goblin in the title)(also he has a new series Stepsister Scheme but I haven't read them)

Anne McCaffrey The Ship Who Sang and the others in that series.

David Eddings: Belgariad and Mallorean

Mercedes Lackey I would wait on if your not comfortable with Pern. The Godmother series is romance and her Valdermar series has s*xual themes and alternate lifestyles.

My girls love sci fi/fantasy here are a few of their favorites. I can't judge what you might find acceptable or not so I will try to give a brief description. :001_smile:

Deltora Quest Series by Emily Rodda (standard epic quest to gather stones of power to save a kingdom from the evil Shadow Lord - some magic) Very enjoyable and easy to read, likeable characters that you remember after the book is over.

Shadow Children Series - Margaret Peterson Haddix. First book is titled 'Among the Hidden'. Series is a dystopian society where third children are illegal and will be killed if discovered. Death of a semi-major character in the first book. Very compelling to read.

Tamora Pierce is an excellent author with powerful female lead characters, she has several series out. However, there is lots of magic users and a pantheon of 'gods' (along the line of greek mythology), so you might look at them first or get an opinion from someone who knows your preferences.

I would recommend pretty much anything by Robin McKinley, especially:

The Hero and the Crown

The Blue Sword

Beauty

There is no sexual content, and I am assuming you are ok with magical elements as you requested fantasy.

Those are my three favorite McKinley books. :-)

"Rose Daughter" is a retelling of Beauty.

But only the first 5 are published so far. Number 6 either comes out this month or next. They are not Christian, in the main country they don't seem to talk about religion at all. But in the other countries they've been to so far, they do have several gods. The other country's religion is treated respectfully. (Ex: someone was dieing after a battle without his sword in his hand which to his countrymen was how you went to heaven. One of the main characters knew this and put his sword in his hand.) There are a few curse words at the end of book 5.

My girls have enjoyed The Door Within series but I haven't read them. They were given to my oldest by Christian friend.

My oldest also enjoys Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I read the first one and found the story is ok, but there is quite a bit of language. DD was already whiting it out so I told as long as she continues to do that, she can read them. (I know she will read the word the first time through, but she re-reads books all the time.)

Someone mentioned Tamora Pierce ... she's a good fantasy writer. BUT she includes adult scenes in her books .... the cleanest series is the set of quartets in her fantasy country Tortall, and there's still plenty of sex.

The Circle of Magic books were cleaner, due to the ages of the characters ... but then the second quartet included some rather gruesome mysteries, and the finale stand-alone made me so mad I returned it to the store for a refund and got rid of all the others. (One character made a lifestyle choice I strongly disagreed with, and it seemed completely out of the blue for the series. Plus it was just a badly written book.)

So ... keep that in mind with her books. She's talented and makes great fantasy worlds, but her characters have some fairly physical relationships at times.

Robin McKinley is good.

Mercedes Lackey I think was another good one.

I have read Lackey and in case anyone else here is reading this post looking for ideas, I need to caution that Mercedes Lackey, though an excellent fantasy writer, is NOT something I'd recommend for a young teen. She has some harsh s*xual violence in a few books and a lot of mature elements throughout.

Well, I read the original Pern books at about that age and loved them. . . but I wouldn't recommend them for that age. The first two books of the Harper Hall trilogy (set on Pern)--Dragonsong and Dragonsinger--are clean. I let my son read them at 11.

A couple people have mentioned the Harper Hall trilogy now. I read them so many years ago I can't remember them at all. Is the third one a problem? If so, can the first two stand alone? It's frustrating to love characters then not get to finish a series. Has anyone read them recently?

I think the first two stand alone just fine, and yes there's an adult scene in the third one. I like the middle one best so it's been awhile since I read the first or third, but I think the first is clean, and I know the second one is.

You're right about Mercedes Lackey.

Why is it so hard to find really good, exciting, well-written, CLEAN novels?