Menu

how much do you pay for a CSA membership?

We're in the PNW.

$300-500 (each family decides how much they can afford to pay) for a weekly veggie box from mid-June through mid-October.

We go to the farm to pick up our box.

(For Tammy-CSA stands for Commmunity Supported Agriculture. You pay for a "share" in the farm's produce and get part of the fruits and veggies the farm produces. http://www.prairienet.org/pcsa/whatisacsa.html )

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
Adding more info

I think that the subscription fee alone will not yield all of the information you may require. Lengths of seasons vary, box sizes vary, as do contents.

My CSA is a bargain: $275 for 16 weeks. Each week I receive a half bushel box of organic veggies and/or fruit. Produce only which I pick up from a cooperative in a nearby city.

I have friends in other places who receive eggs or cheese in their CSA boxes. I know another farmer who calls a bushel sized box a "share" and a half bushel box a "half share". She offers "sweat equity" opportunities to those who want discounts.

Cost alone may not tell the whole story.

Jane

Last year we joined here, anyway it was 18 weeks at $785 for a family of 4. We are in the Midwest and we picked it up once a week. We had one to two bags of produce that was organic, but not certified.

Wow, home delivery would be awesome.

Edited by Tammyla

I think that the subscription fee alone will not yield all of the information you may require. Lengths of seasons vary, box sizes vary, as do contents.

Yes.

I know another farmer who calls a bushel sized box a "share" and a half bushel box a "half share". She offers "sweat equity" opportunities to those who want discounts.

How much is a bushel? I tried looking it up. The closest meaningful description I could find is about the size of a small laundry basket, but I saw photos of bushel baskets online that looked way smaller than that.

Now I'm walking around singing "I love you, a bushel and a peck, You bet your pretty neck I do..." *sigh*

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch
typo, as usual

Our local organic farm produces crops 10.5 months out of the year. Except for a six week break in Dec. - Jan. we have 2-3 grocery bags full of veggies coming each and every week. We pay $75 per month, and it is well worth it. We drive to a nearby town at a pickup point to get our share every Tuesday.

We've eaten some of the most tasty greens and root veggies this past winter, and now that spring is here we are eating new things -- things I've never even heard of before! It is so fun to try new things, and also great to learn to eat according to what is in season rather than buying crops from Mexico or elsewhere just because we have a yearning for a certain dish.

Today I am cooking Cardoons, a relative to the artichoke. For lunch, my daughter and I had sauteed salsify greens with our grilled sandwiches. It was delicious. We also have spring potatoes, leeks and collard greens this week. I am very excited to think of all the delicious beets up ahead, not to mention salad greens, etc.

CSA memberships are the greatest! We know that one of the best things to do for the economy is to buy locally. This is a two-fold benefit.

Blessings,

Lucinda

How much is a bushel? I tried looking it up. The closest meaningful description I could find is about the size of a small laundry basket, but I saw photos of bushel baskets online that looked way smaller than that.

Now I'm walking around singing "I love you, a bushel and a peck, You bet your pretty neck I do..." *sigh*

Cat

Why a bushel is four pecks. Clear as mud? (My mother grew up on a farm so I am accustomed to this measure!)

When I buy a bushel of sweet potatoes in the fall, I get 40 pounds. But, in general, a bushel does not equate to pounds (since produce weights vary) but a dry measure. Imagine a banana box from the grocery. That is roughly a bushel, I think.

Also NC, just switched to different CSA

Previous CSA---25 weeks certified organic, no work on farm required $750

last year, 30 weeks, delivered to my house $900 (she's not doing delivery any more), year before that it was $650 for 30 weeks, but the share size was a bit smaller

New one---20 weeks organic, 4 hours work on farm over season, $500, without the work option, $540

The previous one was great, very experienced farmer, wonderful, would sometimes include eggs, honey, extras, but we had to drive 20 miles one way to pick up veg each week. The new one is brand new, first season, but only about 5 miles from my house. Don't know how the shares will compare in size as the new one doesn't start until June.

Ours is $650 plus 4 hours labor/adult for a small share. Here in NE we make our first pick-up in June and go through the end of October with a Thanksgiving share available (sometimes extra $, sometimes not dependent on the weather over the summer) for those who want to participate. So about 20 weeks at a little more than $30/week. Pickups start small them build...

The best part for me is going out to the farm each week it keeps me in touch with the season -- although you can postpone a maximum of 2 weeks until the end of October for storage veggies which is great for vacations. Some of the produce is pick your own -- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries; peas & beans; cherry tomatoes & tomatillos; flowers -- mostly you 'pick' your share in the barn. One of the best things is the choice table: select 2 or 3 from 5. That means you can usually skip on those (few) veggies that nobody in your family will eat. Amazingly this seems to work well because my anathama always seems to be someone else's delight.

We also get to choose some herbs which are great -- I never use enough to justify buying the packages in the store.

Like another posted said, price is a very small part of the experience, especially if you have the opportunity to go to the farm and participate in the food production on a limited basis.

~Moira

I am in south-west Virginia/north-east Tennessee. We are paying $700 for 24 weeks or so for a bushel or $520 for a half bushel. Our started 2 weeks ago and it has been a "slow" start. We have had so much rain, they are behind in their planting.