Menu

Dog people - senior dog, biting, other dog aggression

AimeeM

Our IG is 14 years old and has cancer (again, we believe - her growths have come back so we'll wait and see what a biopsy says).

Our GSD is 2 years old.

Over the past year, our IG has become increasingly less tolerant of the young GSD. I mean, if he so much as sniffs in her direction, she attacks (as much as a 10 lb IG can attack an 80 lb GSD, I mean). The problem is that she's now attacking PEOPLE, mistaking them for the GSD. 

Tonight I bent to move the couch. Our IG was on the couch. She snarled from her sleeping position and bit my head. 

Yesterday she almost bit DS7 - again mistaking him for the GSD. 

I'm at a loss. Our IG, while old and we believe she has cancer again, still has a good quality of life and is otherwise pleasant and not aggressive at all - but this is getting absurd. We can't keep our GSD crated constantly! We can't keep the IG crated constantly! I'm not exaggerating when I say that our GSD needs only breathe where our IG can hear and she (IG) tries to attack. Our GSD isn't rough with her - he sniffs her, tries to play with her, etc. We call him off when he tries to play (she's old and more frail - and way past play stage), but now our old girl is biting at PEOPLE just because she knows the GSD is somewhere in the house and mistakes people for him. 

I have no clue what to do. Our IG doesn't have a general issue with big dogs, so that isn't the problem. She was close to our late GSD. Is it old age? Suggestions?

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

Could she have a brain tumor?  

What is an IG, btw?

I think she needs to be taken to a vet and see if there is something that is causing her to aggress that can be fixed such as some sort of pain...or dealt with. If not, she needs to be at least crated most of the time, because even a 10 pound dog can hurt a 7 yo child.  You may need to face more drastic measures if nothing that can be found to help the situation can be found and if containment does not work.  

I'd certainly be looking to crate the old and small dog who is probably happy mostly just being able to rest in the presence of her family, and let the young, large one who probably needs a lot more energy outlet have the greater freedom, and then crate the GSD while the old dog is on her out of crate times.

Maybe if she knows she is secure in a crate where the GSD cannot bother her she will start to settle down some. Or not.

• Like 1

Not sure what IG or GSD stand for, but maybe it is time for the older dog who may be in pain to go to the Happy Hunting Grounds? Sounds like an old cranky senior citizen doggie who does not feel well. What does your vet think? What if your child gets a bad bite?

I have had to put to sleep two of our cats, each only half way through their natural life spans, due to inoperable conditions that were causing them pain.. It is not easy :-(

Edited by JFSinIL

Could she have a brain tumor?  

What is an IG, btw?

I think she needs to be taken to a vet and see if there is something that is causing her to aggress that can be fixed such as some sort of pain...or dealt with. If not, she needs to be at least crated most of the time, because even a 10 pound dog can hurt a 7 yo child.  You may need to face more drastic measures if nothing that can be found to help the situation can be found and if containment does not work.  

I'd certainly be looking to crate the old and small dog who is probably happy mostly just being able to rest in the presence of her family, and let the young, large one who probably needs a lot more energy outlet have the greater freedom, and then crate the GSD while the old dog is on her out of crate times.

Maybe if she knows she is secure in a crate where the GSD cannot bother her she will start to settle down some. Or not.

An IG is an Italian Greyhound :)

She is seeing a vet. We planned to have her teeth pulled when they remove the tumors again, as she's had ongoing dental problems in recent years and it will be easier and less painful for her to eat if we have her teeth removed.

I think we will have to crate her. She actually HATES being crated (cries and barks the entire time, even when she's crated near family), but I don't think we have an option. 

Not sure what IG or GSD stand for, but maybe it is time for the older dog who may be in pain to go to the Happy Hunting Grounds? Sounds like an old cranky senior citizen doggie who does not feel well. What does your vet think? What if your child gets a bad bite?

I have had to put to sleep two of our cats, each only half way through their natural life spans, due to inoperable conditions that were causing them pain.. It is not easy :-(

IG is an Italian Greyhound. GSD is a German Shepherd (Dog). 

She actually isn't in pain. She's happy as a clam and playful - when the GSD isn't around. From a medical perspective, there's no reason to put her down. She still has a good quality of life at the moment.

I'll crate her before I let one of the children get bit. The children are in bedrooms right now. She hates the crate with a passion, but... 

Has she gone deaf or blind?  She could from biting out of fear - just from being "snuck up on" (from her perspective). 

No. She hears well (as is evident every time she is asleep and hears water run, lol - she hops off the couch like a gal of 4, not 14) and had her eyes checked at her last vet appointment. Both are fine. 

She definitely DOES feel "snuck-up on," though. It's just not because she's blind or deaf - she's sleeping or resting or burrowed under something (a couch pillow, for example - she really likes to burrow, which leaves her unable to see, by default).

I think you might be under-estimating her pain. Dogs rarely show pain until it's really bad. 

If she has crap teeth, she has pain. Given her age, odds are overwhelming she has arthritis and she has pain. I think her behavior is most likely a symptom of pain. 

I'd put her on anti inflammatories & see what happens. Also do a urine culture. Old female dogs get UTIs very quickly and this too will frequently show as snappy bhvr. 

• Like 5

Is she on pain medications right now? 

No. She doesn't appear to be in pain. I'll ask at her vet appointment, but if the GSD isn't around, she's happy and playful. She loves being cuddled and held and enjoys being picked up/petted by everyone (including visitors of the human variety).

Instead of crating, since she doens't like crates, can you try using x-pen panels to separate out areas? 

this kind of thing. You can make them into a fence if you have a couple 2x4 pieces that you anchor it into. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Exercise-Pen-30-Inch-Black/dp/B000H8YTJI

I don't think it's crated she doesn't like - I think it's being confined in a space separated from us, even if we're right there, close-by. For example, she adores being outside on the patio in the hot weather... but only if we're actually in that separated space WITH her. The minute we close the door, and leave her out there so she can sun-bathe, she's upset and crying to come in. 

This (what you linked) is a great option, and probably my first preference, though - and definitely worth a try.

I think you might be under-estimating her pain. Dogs rarely show pain until it's really bad. 

If she has crap teeth, she has pain. Given her age, odds are overwhelming she has arthritis and she has pain. I think her behavior is most likely a symptom of pain. 

I'd put her on anti inflammatories & see what happens. Also do a urine culture. Old female dogs get UTIs very quickly and this too will frequently show as snappy bhvr. 

Great ideas. I'll ask the vet about the urine culture (we know she's prone to colitis, which she's been medicated for before). I'll also ask about anti-inflammatories (which I assume need to be prescription? They give her stronger meds after surgery, so I'm not sure about inflammation meds).

Edited by AimeeM

The other thing is, iggies tend to be sensitive. You guys have had lots of stress, so maybe she's extra on edge because of that. 

But honestly, I'd lay odds on pain. Yes, anti inflammatories would be by rx from the vet. If she's not a candidate for nsaids (& given her colitis, the vet might be reluctant) you can ask to try other pain medications. I would definitely try 2-4 weeks of pain meds before trying other things. 

• Like 2

The other thing is, iggies tend to be sensitive. You guys have had lots of stress, so maybe she's extra on edge because of that. 

But honestly, I'd lay odds on pain. Yes, anti inflammatories would be by rx from the vet. If she's not a candidate for nsaids (& given her colitis, the vet might be reluctant) you can ask to try other pain medications. I would definitely try 2-4 weeks of pain meds before trying other things. 

Yes, she is a sensitive gal :) Dad is gone right now (he's in PA with his father for a while, helping out), and that's a stressor obviously (she is definitely attached to Dad). 

I don't have advice but our dog of 16 years passed away last fall. His personality changed alot in the last couple years and he became quite grouchy. His hearing and eye sight weren't as good but he definitely could hear us get food or the leash just like he was a puppy. He was also quite playful in bursts.

I think you do need to separate the dog from the kids if he's snapping without being provoked. Would one of those baby yard gates or even a pack n play work (you did say this was a 10 pound dog, right)?

I don't have advice but our dog of 16 years passed away last fall. His personality changed alot in the last couple years and he became quite grouchy. His hearing and eye sight weren't as good but he definitely could hear us get food or the leash just like he was a puppy. He was also quite playful in bursts.

I think you do need to separate the dog from the kids if he's snapping without being provoked. Would one of those baby yard gates or even a pack n play work (you did say this was a 10 pound dog, right)?

Yes, she's very small - but separating her from us at all, even by just a gate, seems to cause her as much stress as a crate. We are going to try to keep her separated from the children. I'm not sure how exactly, but she may just have to deal with the crate or a gate such as Horn linked.  

Yes, she's very small - but separating her from us at all, even by just a gate, seems to cause her as much stress as a crate. We are going to try to keep her separated from the children. I'm not sure how exactly, but she may just have to deal with the crate or a gate such as Horn linked.

That's tough. I hope she can adjust to the gate.

An IG is an Italian Greyhound :)

She is seeing a vet. We planned to have her teeth pulled when they remove the tumors again, as she's had ongoing dental problems in recent years and it will be easier and less painful for her to eat if we have her teeth removed.

I think we will have to crate her. She actually HATES being crated (cries and barks the entire time, even when she's crated near family), but I don't think we have an option. 

Ah, hating crate makes it much harder.  Is there any way she can have her anti-crate feelings improved such as a small soft side crate that can be held on a lap and give her petting while in it?  Or a backpack style carrier for small dog? Anyway, something very different than the current hated iteration?  Or even a muzzle to keep children safe from potential bite?

I'd also be looking at pain as a key issue, as well as maybe she feels vulnerable if her teeth are not good.  I know I get cranky from pain.

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Ah, hating crate makes it much harder.  Anyway she can have her anti-crate feelings improved such as a small soft side crate that can be held on a lap and give her petting while in it?  Or a backpack style carrier for small dog? Anyway, something very different than the current hated iteration?  Or even a muzzle to keep children safe from potential bite?

I'd also be looking at pain as a key issue, as well as maybe she feels vulnerable if her teeth are not good.  I know I get cranky from pain.

I know it's hard for her to eat, so I think it's a valid assumption that pain (even if we didn't consider it before because she does act like she's in pain) is an issue. First priority will be having the teeth removed and, I think, some anti-inflammatories like was suggested. 

She just hates being contained, even if she does sleep a lot as is, lol. Honestly, if she would allow us to leave her on the patio while Obi is around, she'd be in a good place. She loves it out there when we're with her. She's always cold, so the 95 degree outdoors is perfect for her right now (and she's a sunbathing diva).

I agree with the others that it's almost certain she's dealing with some amount of pain. First of all, just because of her age. According to the Pedigree dog age calculator she's the equivalent of a 72 yo human. I don't know of any senior human who doesn't have some sort of chronic pain issue (usually from osteoarthritis or a back issue). Dogs aren't different in that regard. Add in bad teeth and suspected cancer--yeah.

If she were mine I'd also want a thyroid check. That's common in middle aged/older dogs and can cause aggression.

Also consider canine cognitive dysfunction.

Since it sounds as if you woke her up immediately before she bit you, I would assume you startled her badly. Older dogs sleep very hard. Their senses, even if they're still working, certainly aren't as acute as they used to be. Vulnerable (in pain, losing senses) older dogs tend to snap first and ask questions later when abruptly woken. They also tend to be very defensive around other dogs.

I'm sorry. Dealing with elderly pets is hard. :(  

• Like 3

IG is an Italian Greyhound. GSD is a German Shepherd (Dog). 

She actually isn't in pain. She's happy as a clam and playful - when the GSD isn't around. From a medical perspective, there's no reason to put her down. She still has a good quality of life at the moment.

I'll crate her before I let one of the children get bit. The children are in bedrooms right now. She hates the crate with a passion, but... 

Sudden behavior changes signal either the start of doggie senility or pain. Either way, you can't have her hurt your kids (I've seen kids need plastic surgery after a maltese bite to the face, so small dogs can do serious damage). And if crating her makes her miserable, euthanasia may be the best option. If she's constantly on edge about the GSD that doesn't sound like a fun way to live, you know? 

But my guess is pain, somewhere. Dogs are REALLY good at hiding pain. Really good. They have done studies post op and the dogs would show pain if no one was in the room (filmed by hidden camera) but as soon as a person walked in they stopped. 

• Like 4

Can you keep the GSD separate with the gate, rather than the IG, most of the time, and switch them out?

• Like 1

Since it sounds as if you woke her up immediately before she bit you, I would assume you startled her badly. Older dogs sleep very hard. Their senses, even if they're still working, certainly aren't as acute as they used to be. Vulnerable (in pain, losing senses) older dogs tend to snap first and ask questions later when abruptly woken.

This is very true. You may need to keep this in mind when you see her sleeping, and wake her more gradually. Even using a pillow or something. I think she's probably safe around you, but not the kids/dog. 

Unfortunatly, that may not be possible without being cruel, if she hates the crate. At her age, I'd consider quality of life. Being miserable for the last 6 months to year of life versus euthanasia is something to think about, if you can't figure out another solution. 

what kind of cancer has she had?

SaveSave

• Like 2

I'm not sure what an IG is, but 14 is old for a dog, even a small dog.  I know what a GSD is, we had our GSD put to sleep last week. IMO you should discuss the behavior of the iG with your vet. Biting you on the head or threatening to bite your DS is not acceptable.  If the IG is in pain, it may react by being aggressive.  The time that you and your vet need to discuss Euthanasia may have arrived, or, be coming soon.  GL 

This is very true. You may need to keep this in mind when you see her sleeping, and wake her more gradually. Even using a pillow or something. I think she's probably safe around you, but not the kids/dog.

Unfortunatly, that may not be possible without being cruel, if she hates the crate. At her age, I'd consider quality of life. Being miserable for the last 6 months to year of life versus euthanasia is something to think about, if you can't figure out another solution.

what kind of cancer has she had?

Save

Save

The cancer is what I keep thinking too, although hopefully it's just her teeth or something. One of our dogs suddenly became grumbly and snappy- it seemed like overnight. I took him to the vet and he had an inoperable abdominal tumor. We had no idea. He had been eating fine, getting around fine. Never showed a symptom until the sudden growling and snapping. I think you're definitely doing the right thing by immediately going to the vet.

I agree it may be time to look at overall quality of life issues. She's 14, has cancer, bad teeth, and is in pain. She is showing aggression to people. She attacked you already, and you have small, unpredictable children. Removing all of her teeth is an extensive procedure, and it won't help the cancer or her decline in health caused by aging. 

I know the timing is particularly awful, and I know how much you love your doggies. :grouphug:

My instinct is that your old dog doesn't have the good quality of life you think she does.

Dogs hide pain naturally. (Weak pack members get culled . . .) My guess is she's in pain. (There is an easy test for this question . . . Medicate her well with pain meds -- usually an NSAID +/- narcotic (i.e., Previcox +/- tramadol). . . and see if she acts differently. If she does, she was in pain. If no change -- with good meds -- then pain is not the issue.)

Some cancers can be brutally painful. Dental disease can be *incredibly* painful. I can't count the number of times dh (vet) has gotten feedback weeks/months after a dental about how happy and perky a dog is . . . People *routinely* come in thinking their dog is "dying" or "too old" and the owners "know we'll be putting her down soon" . . . and then they go ahead and have the proper dental done, buying their dog months or years of painfree and "puppy again!" life. If it were my dog and the cancer wasn't imminently endangering her quality of life, I'd go ahead and do a full dental ASAP. Honestly, there is no suffering with a proper dental when a dog/cat has a really bad mouth. The dogs wake up feeling better and more pain free than they have in years. It's magic. (Make sure you get a good dental . . . The practice *must* have and use dental x-rays and a high speed drill . . . and of course, competent staff.) 

I'd take her to your vet, talk about the issues, and see about a more aggressive "hospice" style medical management of her cancer and/or take care of the dental disease ASAP. Personally, I'd progressively medicate her more and more until she is happy and non aggressive. If I couldn't reach that happy point, and her aggressive tendencies were not controlled, then I'd sadly realize that it was time to let go and schedule euthanasia. The last thing I'd want at the end of a good dog's life is a tragic bite incident. And, if the cancer isn't imminently threatening her life, I'd go ahead and do a (top quality) dental yesterday and then carry on with the management of her pain. And, if I couldn't afford to take care of the dental disease, I'd have her euthanized ASAP because that sort of pain is no way to live, IMHO.

(((hugs)))

• Like 2

Sudden behavior changes signal either the start of doggie senility or pain. Either way, you can't have her hurt your kids (I've seen kids need plastic surgery after a maltese bite to the face, so small dogs can do serious damage). And if crating her makes her miserable, euthanasia may be the best option. If she's constantly on edge about the GSD that doesn't sound like a fun way to live, you know? 

But my guess is pain, somewhere. Dogs are REALLY good at hiding pain. Really good. They have done studies post op and the dogs would show pain if no one was in the room (filmed by hidden camera) but as soon as a person walked in they stopped. 

We're going to crate her for now, or let her be on the patio otherwise, until the children are in bed. At her vet appointment, I'm going to ask for for pain medication for her and a urine culture. We are having her teeth removed when they remove the tumors.

We plan to have her teeth removed when they remove her tumors this time. Last time they did another procedure when they removed the tumors, so dental wasn't an option. At her age, and with the cancer, they were hesitant to put her under for too long - or to do too much - during any one procedure. So, next slated is dental + tumor removal. Hopefully that will make her feel better.

When it rains, it pours, eh? DH is up north with his Dad, who we were told has 6-8 weeks, and after taking Bella-Bug to the vet, I may have to tell him that his beloved pup needs to be put to sleep. I just can't win right now.

My instinct is that your old dog doesn't have the good quality of life you think she does.

Dogs hide pain naturally. (Weak pack members get culled . . .) My guess is she's in pain. (There is an easy test for this question . . . Medicate her well with pain meds -- usually an NSAID +/- narcotic (i.e., Previcox +/- tramadol). . . and see if she acts differently. If she does, she was in pain. If no change -- with good meds -- then pain is not the issue.)

Some cancers can be brutally painful. Dental disease can be *incredibly* painful. I can't count the number of times dh (vet) has gotten feedback weeks/months after a dental about how happy and perky a dog is . . . People *routinely* come in thinking their dog is "dying" or "too old" and the owners "know we'll be putting her down soon" . . . and then they go ahead and have the proper dental done, buying their dog months or years of painfree and "puppy again!" life. If it were my dog and the cancer wasn't imminently endangering her quality of life, I'd go ahead and do a full dental ASAP. Honestly, there is no suffering with a proper dental when a dog/cat has a really bad mouth. The dogs wake up feeling better and more pain free than they have in years. It's magic. (Make sure you get a good dental . . . The practice *must* have and use dental x-rays and a high speed drill . . . and of course, competent staff.) 

I'd take her to your vet, talk about the issues, and see about a more aggressive "hospice" style medical management of her cancer and/or take care of the dental disease ASAP. Personally, I'd progressively medicate her more and more until she is happy and non aggressive. If I couldn't reach that happy point, and her aggressive tendencies were not controlled, then I'd sadly realize that it was time to let go and schedule euthanasia. The last thing I'd want at the end of a good dog's life is a tragic bite incident. And, if the cancer isn't imminently threatening her life, I'd go ahead and do a (top quality) dental yesterday and then carry on with the management of her pain. And, if I couldn't afford to take care of the dental disease, I'd have her euthanized ASAP because that sort of pain is no way to live, IMHO.

(((hugs)))

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

We plan to have her teeth removed when they remove her tumors this time. Last time they did another procedure when they removed the tumor removal, so dental wasn't an option. At her age, and with the cancer, they were hesitant to put her under for too long - or to do too much - during any one procedure. So, next slated is dental + tumor removal. Hopefully that will make her feel better.

Sounds like a good plan. 

As long as the vet uses good anesthesia management, then a long procedure isn't necessarily a bigger risk. For me, I would accept the risk of anesthesia and if the dog dies during/after the procedure, then I'd be OK with it. I just wouldn't be OK with her suffering for an indefinite period of time. 

Be sure to be up front with your vet about your priorities (quality of life vs length of life) . . . There are some pet owners who will not take any risk with the pet's life even if the pet is suffering. There are even some pet owners who refuse aggressive pain management because they "want the dog to experience what life wants it to experience" and they "don't want to cheat the dog out of the opportunity to grow from their suffering" No shit. Dh had a client whose dog had an extremely painful bone cancer . . . and would NOT use aggressive pain medication or the amputation that could have relived some of the suffering . . . Cost wasn't an issue . . . The owner was some sort of religion that thought the dog had a soul and that suffering was a natural part of its life and . . . My dh nearly lost his mind during those months. It was years ago, and I still can't forget how traumatized dh was by that dog's suffering and his inability to get the client to manage it properly. So, anyway, every vet has had plenty of clients who were insulted/freaked out by the very mention of euthanasia and tons of folks with serious $$ constraints. Everyone has different priorities. So, be sure to communicate openly about your priorities and budget so that the vet can help you achieve your goals of helping your dog. 

(((hugs))) and best wishes for some more good time with your dog.

Oh no, that sounds terrible. I'm so sorry your DH had to go through watching that :(

If our vet were to recommend euthanasia and ever insinuated that Bella's quality of life wasn't good, we wouldn't hesitate (as much as it might hurt us) to euthanize. We've been there already with our late GSD, who was only 3 when he passed - and, frankly, we should have euthanized him sooner, but we wanted, due to his age, to try some aggressive treatments first - he was in a lot of very obvious pain. Bella's a bit different, because of her age, so we are more than happy to have the cancer removed, but I don't think we would venture into chemo or anything more extensive than pain management after the removal surgery - she's just too old and the cancer has now already recurred, so I'm not sure there would be a point in anything more extensive than basic removal and pain medications. If the doctor advises euthanasia, we would do it. 

Sounds like a good plan. 

As long as the vet uses good anesthesia management, then a long procedure isn't necessarily a bigger risk. For me, I would accept the risk of anesthesia and if the dog dies during/after the procedure, then I'd be OK with it. I just wouldn't be OK with her suffering for an indefinite period of time. 

Be sure to be up front with your vet about your priorities (quality of life vs length of life) . . . There are some pet owners who will not take any risk with the pet's life even if the pet is suffering. There are even some pet owners who refuse aggressive pain management because they "want the dog to experience what life wants it to experience" and they "don't want to cheat the dog out of the opportunity to grow from their suffering" No shit. Dh had a client whose dog had an extremely painful bone cancer . . . and would NOT use aggressive pain medication or the amputation that could have relived some of the suffering . . . Cost wasn't an issue . . . The owner was some sort of religion that thought the dog had a soul and that suffering was a natural part of its life and . . . My dh nearly lost his mind during those months. It was years ago, and I still can't forget how traumatized dh was by that dog's suffering and his inability to get the client to manage it properly. So, anyway, every vet has had plenty of clients who were insulted/freaked out by the very mention of euthanasia and tons of folks with serious $$ constraints. Everyone has different priorities. So, be sure to communicate openly about your priorities and budget so that the vet can help you achieve your goals of helping your dog. 

(((hugs))) and best wishes for some more good time with your dog.

• Like 1

I guess I don't understand the issue. The senior dog has tried it and successfully bitten family members. For me, that is it. I'd take the dog to the vet to see if there was a physical problem causing that, and if not, I won't allow my family to be around a dog (not puppy that is learning) that has a history of attempting (successfully too) to bite humans. What if she bit a visitor? What if she seriously bit my child?