Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's paved. I was thinking of just taking the bikes out and trying to keep up jogging. It is a jogging stroller but I'm a beautiful giantess and the stroller was made for normies so I don't like pushing it. Normally John does but if he's riding his bike this giantess will be bending over the whole time.

I wonder if some clever person or bike shop mechanic could add a handle extender for you for that stroller?

• Like 2

We've never found one that fit our stroller. There is actually a stroller I really like and have recommended to other giants but it's $400 and I'm afraid that Alex is going to be making his own way in six months and we'll never have another baby. If John was 6 months old and we needed a stroller I'd buy it but at this point it's probably just a waste. Mostly Matt wears the baby on his back when we go places. The stroller has never really been a thing until we moved to this apartment. So now I'm complaining.

#firstworldproblems

Aww, phooey.

When Alex is on his own two feet they make toddler-size scooters with 2 large wheels and a wide foot platform.  My nephew loves his, and has since Grandma picked it up for him when he was 2.

• Like 2

:(

I have decided that since the boys will be canoeing and the houseguests will be out until very late tonight, the girls here are having a girls' night with a movie and ice cream and brownies.

When I was little, my step-dad used to take my brothers to the greyhound races. I was never allowed to go. So after they left, my mom would secretly take me to rent a Disney movie and we would make ice cream floats. One time they came home early and caught us; the boys refused to go to the races after that.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 10

School is done for the week. At least for the snapping turtles. As chief snapper I have to grade two Latin tests, locate and file all the math tests from summer, plan next week's torture sessions and make a bunch of vocabulary cards.

There's not enough chocolate in the house.

I am deliberately loafing here after having cleaned out the fridge AND put all of the groceries away.  I came home from the store to find both kids goofing off and neither one ready to come help carry stuff in.  DD13 hadn't finished packing for the weekend trip to the cousins, and I'm pretty sure I hear her online with a cousin or a friend right now.  The grocery store bagger was quite outgoing and friendly, followed all of my requests for raw meats in one bag only and please tell me which bag has the eggs, then I discovered she thought it was a smart idea to bury the fresh pears at the bottom of a bag and pile canned goods on top of them.

The grumpy pants are giving me a huge attitude wedgie.

So I am taking some time out, eating some Triscuits before one DD consumes the entire box, and catching up here.  I really should go along to ILs' house tonight, but I'm feeling time pressure about being ready enough for a friend to sleep on a floor and all I want to do is mop, binge-watch New Tricks, and eat some barely-cooked fresh veggies.

• Like 3

Segway!

They make a unicycle one now, I think.

I was wrong about DD13.  I don't know who she was talking to, but she cleared most of her floor.  I can wash her sheets in the morning, remake her bed, and be comfortable with the idea of a friend sleeping in there this weekend (while DD13 is away at cousins') if said friend doesn't want an air mattress and sleeping bag on DD16's floor.  Yay, DD13!  She also finished packing her clothes for the weekend!

• Like 5

Trigger warning: educational post ahead.

Reported.

So, today being Fine Arts Friday we studied "The Marriage of Arnolfini" by Jan Van Eyck. And we discussed the symbolic elements in the painting - the mirror symbolized the marriage contract, the oranges intimated great wealth, etc. and then the kids painted a water color painting that had to have some kind of symbolic element in it. And we listened to Bach. And we read about Jamestown in American Studies and made little paper boats. Those were a nightmare. We should hav just made those folded boats,but instead I printed off this pattern that you have to cut and glue tabs. Ugh. I ended up putting them together. The little girls decorated theirs with glitter. I'm not sure John Smith would have approved.

John Smith can stuff it.  Glitter is higher visibility out on the water.  It's a safety thing.

• Like 7

:(

I have decided that since the boys will be canoeing and the houseguests will be out until very late tonight, the girls here are having a girls' night with a movie and ice cream and brownies.

I am so sorely tempted to join you.  

• Like 1

Did I tell y'all about the fire station field trip. It was interesting. The battalion chief talked a lot. He was a very nice guy and was very enthusiastic and clearly loved his job, but he talked a lot. The shiny new firetruck was awesome. Apparently it's the only one of its kind in the state. And the kids got to shoot water out of the fire hoses.

Woohoo!  Did the hose whip them around?   :w00t:   Hooray for fire truck fun with fire fighters!

• Like 2

Aww, phooey.

When Alex is on his own two feet they make toddler-size scooters with 2 large wheels and a wide foot platform.  My nephew loves his, and has since Grandma picked it up for him when he was 2.

That was supposed to say 3 large wheels!  The scooter is a 3-wheeler, and quite stable.

:grouphug: AMJ for the pears. That would crush my soul, I'm sure.

Luckily they were "green pears" that were actually turning yellow, so they are a bit firm yet.  They are bruised, but I might be able to salvage them.

Should I be the good DIL and go see my ILs with the rest of my family this evening, or should I be the good hostess and spend the evening mopping and cleaning bathrooms in preparation for people who have never seen our house before coming over?

Hmm, DD13 is now trying to peel one of the oranges I picked up.  Apparently the entire breakfast area is getting sprayed with juice.  The oranges are huge, and the peels are just as juicy as the flesh inside.  Mopping might win this evening.

Of course I'll have to mop in sections, and while I wait for sections to dry I will have to sit out of the way.  On the couch.  Might as well watch New Tricks.

• Like 2

I love stories.  I wonder where I get this overriding strong love of a good story?  Oh yeah, that's right--at LEAST both grandmothers AND my mother.  I suspect one or both grandfathers might have contributed, too.  And my dad.

I'm done for.  Stories are the air I breathe.

• Like 2

At our local town festival last weekend they had St. Bernard's pulling carts. I bet that you could make a cart big enough for three kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great idea!  Harness up the kids and get them to pull you.  You can circle back before they tire out, or (if you really want to be nice) you can pull them on the way home.  You can also show them Balto beforehand to get them in the spirit of the game!

I would just have the older children ride ahead on their bikes with the admonition that they always have to be in sight. Then they can ride back to where you and Alex are coming more slowly. Then ride on ahead. Then ride back. Repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it might be good for my big booty to keep up with them.

Trigger warning: educational post ahead.

Reported.

So, today being Fine Arts Friday we studied "The Marriage of Arnolfini" by Jan Van Eyck. And we discussed the symbolic elements in the painting - the mirror symbolized the marriage contract, the oranges intimated great wealth, etc. and then the kids painted a water color painting that had to have some kind of symbolic element in it. And we listened to Bach. And we read about Jamestown in American Studies and made little paper boats. Those were a nightmare. We should hav just made those folded boats,but instead I printed off this pattern that you have to cut and glue tabs. Ugh. I ended up putting them together. The little girls decorated theirs with glitter. I'm not sure John Smith would have approved.

You're amazing!

Have I told y'all our Continental Army glitter story? We were doing "Militia Training" in Olde Towne Philadephia and the commanding officer asked very sternly if there were any questions. Dd11 (then 5yo) asked if he liked her sparkly sneakers to which he barked "There are NO SPARKLES in the Continental Army!!" :D

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 10

If a 3 year old will spend 20 minutes straight screaming himself hoarse and hurling himself bodily against the door if he's locked out of your room only to fall into your arms so exhausted he falls asleep on your lap (despite being fed, clean, and left with a sister and an episode of Thomas), does that qualify as being "strong willed"?

I don't know, everytime I see a thread where people start piling on a mom for not training her toddler to play quietly in their room I wonder if I'm going crazy.

My opinion: training might have to start for only a few minutes at a time. But I expect toddlers to have needs that sometimes are only addressed with crying and hurling themselves against doors because they don't have the skills to "use their words ". I have gotten a lot softer on toddler training since getting farther in my parenting journey.

• Like 4

I don't know, everytime I see a thread where people start piling on a mom for not training her toddler to play quietly in their room I wonder if I'm going crazy.

I never trained my kids to play quietly in their rooms, and I know you can attest to how fabulously clean and shiny they (and my floors) are now!

#againwiththelolsmilietimesamillion

• Like 3

If a 3 year old will spend 20 minutes straight screaming himself hoarse and hurling himself bodily against the door if he's locked out of your room only to fall into your arms so exhausted he falls asleep on your lap (despite being fed, clean, and left with a sister and an episode of Thomas), does that qualify as being "strong willed"?

I had the calm, willing to play alone toddler. I assure you, it was nothing I did. It's just the way of it. :grouphug:

• Like 3

Well, and then there are situations where it's not about spoiling the kid, but about stuff that needs to be done, e.g. brushing teeth. It's not a disaster to skip that occasionally, but you can't just let a kid go indefinitely without brushing his teeth, just because the kid is feeling oppositional (no sensory issues with the brushing - a phase of being oppositional and pushing boundaries about plenty of other stuff too). And unfortunately, I'm not talking about a 2yo, but about a 2nd grader. Sigh.

• Like 4