Menu

Ignore this thread!

Skechers has TONS of casual shoes.  I'm not very good at knowing what's stylish and what's not.

What's in style will not be in style in 6 months. Keep the shoes. Jean wears pajamas.

I am a big fan of sensible soles and arch supports.  I spent big bucks on Birkenstock sandals for DD13 so she can have open-air shoes with arch supports.  She loves them (and has a somewhat more stylish pair than the pair I bought for myself).

My Birks are giving me a blister on the instep of one foot.  I remember this blister; I used to get it decades ago when I had Birks.  It is because the Birks are new and my feet are unused to them.  I just need to judiciously wear my Birks off and on and the skin will toughen up there sufficiently over a few weeks.

I thought the girls and I were going to need to get some dance fitness shoes, shoes with less grippy soles and a pivot spot at the ball of the foot.  (Our sneakers have been proving to be somewhat too grippy for the floor and the moves.)  The Zumba teacher and many of our classmates are raving over their shoes.  I saw one gal with another solution yesterday, however: there are some dance socks they make that fit over the balls of the feet but leave the toes and the rest of the foot bare.  She had bought some rather large cotton ones and put them on over her sneakers.  Voila!  Dance fitness shoes for less money!

As a bonus when we were at home I realized one pair of sneakers I have that I liked less (because of the less grippy soles) are perfect for Zumba.  I'll only need to chase down the dance socks for the girls' shoes.

I wear excellent shoes, but not to church.

Since I so seldom wear anything except flops, I buy the $5.97 ballet flats at AFSA.

This is bad. You will regret this when you're old.
  • Like 5

I wear athletic shoes all the time.  Being able to walk trumps fashion.  ;) 

I do have comfortable shoes for church.  I've had women stop me to ask me about them because they look so comfortable.  They must not be too ugly if they want them too.  They don't have the exact shoe any more on their website but this one is probably closest to what I have:  https://www.trotters.com/product/Black%20Suede/Sarina (But mine are more comfortable.  Just saying.)

• Like 4

Yesterday, I bought a pair of comfy, casual shoes to go with black pants for church and such.  I tried them on with dress pants this morning and the consensus is that they are old lady shoes.   :sad:   In fact, at least one child told me I would be better off just wearing running shoes.   :laugh:   Which I'm not above doing.   :glare:   So, I guess I need to return my old lady shoes.   :thumbdown:

Or...you could decide to not care what they look like and just wear them.  Because comfortable.

• Like 5

I need prayers, ladies. We are in a crisis situation. Don't want to post it on a public forum. But don't worry too much - nobody is dying, DH and I are not getting a divorce and we are not filing bankruptcy. And I am certainly not leaving ITT. I need you guys. But things with DH and his job are very bad and he called the realtor this morning and rescinded the offer and we are not moving forward with any new house at this point. 😩😩😩. So, if you think of me, please pray. I'll update as events continue to transpire.

I'm so sorry! I hope your situation turns around soon.  :grouphug:

Random gardening question: Why are my morning glories that I planted last year open all day long this year? I'm assuming those seeded themselves because I didn't plant new seeds this year. The ones I planted this year on the other side of the fence (from seed) are open in the mornings only like normal plants, and like the others did last year. Weird.

• Like 3

My county has one library.  One.  

That would make life so much easier. (okay, not really... I like having a good library system)

Actually, we only have 37 branches and a mobile library. So, way less than Jean.  :svengo:

Boeja!

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

I need prayers, ladies. We are in a crisis situation. Don't want to post it on a public forum. But don't worry too much - nobody is dying, DH and I are not getting a divorce and we are not filing bankruptcy. And I am certainly not leaving ITT. I need you guys. But things with DH and his job are very bad and he called the realtor this morning and rescinded the offer and we are not moving forward with any new house at this point. 😩😩😩. So, if you think of me, please pray. I'll update as events continue to transpire.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

My Fitbit says that I managed to cobble together 5 1/2 hours of sleep. I know that I did sleep some because I woke in a panic after posting here because I couldn't breathe. I was coughing so hard I almost threw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  That sounds horrible. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  That sounds horrible. 

It's not fun.  But it was 100 times worse in years past before I started taking prescription meds to boost my immune system.  So I keep remembering how much worse it could be.  Kind of like this children's book:  https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://t2.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn:ANd9GcTzj4gZ7LqmUzKoaRzc_aYVHVTkuW3IdmvTEuhvgbhCRKRGIRd2&imgrefurl=https://books.google.com/books/about/It_Could_Always_be_Worse.html%3Fid%3Dc44kPwAACAAJ%26source%3Dkp_cover&h=638&w=736&tbnid=_vsn9KPTeJYDSM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=150&usg=__0hBLxJ587YmqSjnnaPkGhQkDJsI=&vet=10ahUKEwj6tJqu2qfWAhVCxWMKHWZUBAsQ_B0I7AEwCg..i&docid=7K3_MZbmmtYerM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6tJqu2qfWAhVCxWMKHWZUBAsQ_B0I7AEwCg   Really - I had a time for a couple of years when I was seeing a doctor once a week and talking to them on the phone halfway through the week.  They didn't want me to go to a hospital because they thought it could kill me being around those germs. 

• Like 1

Can you hear me now? 

Loud and clear from across the country!

This is how I've been coughing for a couple weeks now. Doctor says it's allergies and all the stuff in the air since Harvey. It's much worse at night than when I'm up and moving around.

:grouphug:  Something tells me Jean is not being affected by Harvey. My money is on the smoke (or, just an cold or w/e, or both).

• Like 2

I wear athletic shoes all the time.  Being able to walk trumps fashion.  ;)

I do have comfortable shoes for church.  I've had women stop me to ask me about them because they look so comfortable.  They must not be too ugly if they want them too.  They don't have the exact shoe any more on their website but this one is probably closest to what I have:  https://www.trotters.com/product/Black%20Suede/Sarina (But mine are more comfortable.  Just saying.)

Have you found these in a store (if so, which store, please) or do you order online?

• Like 1

I got them at a store called The Walking Company.  They are the shoes I bought for my dad's funeral. 

Thanks.  I'll see if there's one around here I can check out sometime.  I'm always looking for good sources of shoes, when I think the budget will allow.

Help me with this list, please.

Bicycle

Scooter

Roller blades

Skateboard

Things with wheels!

Or was I supposed to phrase that in the form of a question?

Be careful with such a list.  It tends to progress to golf carts, dune buggies, and cars on hydraulics pretty quickly.   :leaving:

• Like 4

I'm thinking for the whole family. The kids have bikes but Alex is in a stroller and if I get a bike I'll have to get a baby trailer thingy and they're expensive. I'm uncomfortable being responsible for everyone on the trail in rollerblades.

Get them scooters with large diameter, fat wheels.  Such wheels smooth out the ride, and scooters are (with luck) easier for the inexperienced person to control than skateboards.

• Like 4

Help me with this list, please.

Bicycle

Scooter

Roller blades

Skateboard

Things that mostly require you don't live down a dirt or a chip-sealed road.

ETA: Bikes are okay--but we routinely have to get tires fixed due to off-road cycling through the thorny patches of the yard.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

It's paved. I was thinking of just taking the bikes out and trying to keep up jogging. It is a jogging stroller but I'm a beautiful giantess and the stroller was made for normies so I don't like pushing it. Normally John does but if he's riding his bike this giantess will be bending over the whole time.

• Like 2

You can get extension handles for jogging strollers.. https://www.amazon.com/Englacha-Stroll-Handle-Extension-Black/dp/B00OOKC13G

We've never found one that fit our stroller. There is actually a stroller I really like and have recommended to other giants but it's $400 and I'm afraid that Alex is going to be making his own way in six months and we'll never have another baby. If John was 6 months old and we needed a stroller I'd buy it but at this point it's probably just a waste. Mostly Matt wears the baby on his back when we go places. The stroller has never really been a thing until we moved to this apartment. So now I'm complaining.

#firstworldproblems

• Like 3

School is done for the week. At least for the snapping turtles. As chief snapper I have to grade two Latin tests, locate and file all the math tests from summer, plan next week's torture sessions and make a bunch of vocabulary cards.

There's not enough chocolate in the house.

• Like 4

The library system of the Big City we used to live in was huge and wonderful, though we only went to the local branch. I did extensive online reserving and other branches would send the books to our branch. Our current county library system is smaller but still pretty good and I still use the online reserving system constantly. They recently upped the overdue fines from 10 to 20 cents per day but I can renew online and the main branch is only 2 miles from our house.

I do love abebooks, though. I once splurged on a signed copy of The Book of the Dun Cow. It is still in bubble wrap. :D

• Like 4

Trigger warning: educational post ahead.

Reported.

So, today being Fine Arts Friday we studied "The Marriage of Arnolfini" by Jan Van Eyck. And we discussed the symbolic elements in the painting - the mirror symbolized the marriage contract, the oranges intimated great wealth, etc. and then the kids painted a water color painting that had to have some kind of symbolic element in it. And we listened to Bach. And we read about Jamestown in American Studies and made little paper boats. Those were a nightmare. We should hav just made those folded boats,but instead I printed off this pattern that you have to cut and glue tabs. Ugh. I ended up putting them together. The little girls decorated theirs with glitter. I'm not sure John Smith would have approved.

• Like 9

:(

I have decided that since the boys will be canoeing and the houseguests will be out until very late tonight, the girls here are having a girls' night with a movie and ice cream and brownies.

That sounds like fun. Wish I was there. Instead, I'm considering restructuring two chapters to tighten the end of the novel, and eliminate words. I may have to kill a darling.

• Like 2

Did I tell y'all about the fire station field trip. It was interesting. The battalion chief talked a lot. He was a very nice guy and was very enthusiastic and clearly loved his job, but he talked a lot. The shiny new firetruck was awesome. Apparently it's the only one of its kind in the state. And the kids got to shoot water out of the fire hoses.

• Like 8