Menu

Ignore this thread!

We are done with history for the year. We are done with geography as soon as I have the kids fill out their end-of-year world maps. Ds12 finished math (miracle of miracles!). We have one science lesson left, which may take us a couple days to get through.

I have no idea what to read next for story time, which starts in 5 minutes. Last week we read the Beatrix Potter collection.

Dh just called and we are having out-of-town guests tomorrow night. I am in a blissful state of denial right now. Panic will set in tomorrow morning when the dirty dishes start overflowing the kitchen sink and I realize that we have nowhere to sit because the girls' clothes piles and tubs have taken over the living room. :willy_nilly:

*Note*  The above like was restricted to Paragraph 1 only.

• Like 3

Youngest looks like she's got Fifths disease--rash broke out this morning. 

I picked up jelly beans when I picked up kids' benadryl & tylenol.  I think more for me than her.

I burned down to the wick last month.  There's nothing left to light.  I'm telling myself he's only in 4th grade.  I can rejuvenate this summer and we can start 5th grade strong.  Literature, spelling, math, history.  Just plugging away to get the number of days we need.  All extras went out the window.

And now DH has done gone gotten me sick.  :glare:  Coffee and nap sound wonderful. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are amazing. Julie (I really mean Junie, but auto-correct wants to call you Julie) that book list is amazing!! I have no idea what we are doing for next year. I don't even know what I am doing this afternoon.

I just got off the phone with a parent, who is also a friend of mine, about yesterday's kerfluffle at the junior high meeting. Well, apparently it has become a kerfluffle. Yay me. The new parent just comes in and stirs things up. Sigh! At least the finches like me. I keep their feeders filled.

• Like 7

I burned down to the wick last month. There's nothing left to light. I'm telling myself he's only in 4th grade. I can rejuvenate this summer and we can start 5th grade strong. Literature, spelling, math, history. Just plugging away to get the number of days we need. All extras went out the window.

And now DH has done gone gotten me sick. :glare: Coffee and nap sound wonderful.

((Ikslo))

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are amazing. Julie (I really mean Junie, but auto-correct wants to call you Julie) that book list is amazing!! I have no idea what we are doing for next year. I don't even know what I am doing this afternoon.

I just got off the phone with a parent, who is also a friend of mine, about yesterday's kerfluffle at the junior high meeting. Well, apparently it has become a kerfluffle. Yay me. The new parent just comes in and stirs things up. Sigh! At least the finches like me. I keep their feeders filled.

Most of my dc like to read, so the book list is mostly their doings.  The only thing I have to really force them to read is poetry.

Dd14 and ds16 have similar lists, but there are a few differences.  Moby Dick is so long that I gave dd14 the opportunity to listen to an audiodrama of one of Melville's other works.

My Antonia is not ds16's type of book, iykwim.  :)  And I did not force him to read Little Women, as he kind of lives that.  I gave him the option of reading one of Alcott's shorter works.

• Like 3

Ds16's British Lit list  (Dd14 is still working through Brit Lit, so I'm not sure what all she has read or will read.)

The Hound of the Baskervilles – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of the Speckled Band

The Time Machine – H.G. Wells

Animal Farm – George Orwell

Emma (dvd)

The Screwtape Letters (audiodrama)

Beowulf

Canterbury Tales – prologue plus literature guide

Ivanhoe (Scott)  -- I can't remember if he finished this

Emma -- dvd

Silas Marner (Eliot) audio drama

Christmas Carol audio drama

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll) 

The Golden Key, The Light Princess, The Wise Woman (MacDonald) -- short stories  -- I can't remember if he did these either

Treasure Island (Stevenson)

The Time Machine

Sherlock Holmes short story mysteries (Doyle)

Peter Pan (Barrie)

Pygmalion (Shaw)

Animal Farm (Orwell) plus lit guide

Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)  plus lit guide

Macbeth plus literature guide plus movie

The Hobbit Trilogy dvd  :D

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy dvd  :D  :D 

West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet) dvd

Gnomeo and Juliet dvd

Early British Poetry – Poetry Rocks

Modern British Poetry – Poetry Rocks

Chaucer and His World

• Like 4

Most of my dc like to read, so the book list is mostly their doings. The only thing I have to really force them to read is poetry.

Dd14 and ds16 have similar lists, but there are a few differences. Moby Dick is so long that I gave dd14 the opportunity to listen to an audiodrama of one of Melville's other works.

My Antonia is not ds16's type of book, iykwim. :) And I did not force him to read Little Women, as he kind of lives that. I gave him the option of reading one of Alcott's shorter works.

My kids do not like to read. Well, DD reads Babysitter Club and DS reads Diary of a Wimpy Kid. They need a tremendous amount of guidance and pushing and I just can't do all that. So, I don't know what to do. I read aloud to oldest DS at bedtime and we have gone through a lot of wonderful literature together that way.
  • Like 3

My Antonia is not ds16's type of book, iykwim. :) And I did not force him to read Little Women, as he kind of lives that. I gave him the option of reading one of Alcott's shorter works.

I have read and enjoyed some of LMA's shorter works. One of my students recommended to me years ago, "A Long Fatal Love Chase", which got me reading some of her other stuff. I loved "A Long Fatal Love Chase." It was a good story, but it was really the title that grabbed me.

A FAFSA on taxes!  I am supposed to be done.  Except that they say that I have to fill in the information from one more form.  But I don't have that form.  I called the originator of that form and they said that is because everything would say zero on it so they didn't send it to me.  But the tax software won't let me go on until I fill in that form. . .     grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

• Like 1

Uncooperative 6 year old boys are aggravating. They are also not allowed TV or video games. Take that, stubborn child.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

It's good to be the MOM!

You were right.  It's good to be RIGHT.

And the finches might like you, but we love you.  :001_wub:

And autocorrect corrects my child's name to "No."  Make of that what you will.

I started Artemis Fowl for story time. I've never read it but dd14 says it's good.

I think we have rounded up all the various bits of lost paperwork. The kids are labeling maps. I'm gonna hide for a while until we have to get ready to leave for children's choir.

No really liked Artemis Fowl.

• Like 5

A FAFSA on taxes!  I am supposed to be done.  Except that they say that I have to fill in the information from one more form.  But I don't have that form.  I called the originator of that form and they said that is because everything would say zero on it so they didn't send it to me.  But the tax software won't let me go on until I fill in that form. . .     grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 

:ack2:   This is why we use an accountant.  (He was a good friend of my dad, so we get the family rate.  I know that CPAs are frequently out of the range of a reasonable budget. :( )

• Like 2

I need three hours of editing to get 20 hrs for the month. Realistically, I've done more than that, but it's been in bits and pieces today. And my son just reminded me that I promised we would make GF sugar cookies...so with the chores, treatments, dinner and all, there goes the rest of the afternoon.

• Like 3

Youngest looks like she's got Fifths disease--rash broke out this morning. 

I picked up jelly beans when I picked up kids' benadryl & tylenol.  I think more for me than her.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I'm sorry she's sick.  I remember the kids getting that when they were younger, though I never knew the name for it until now.  I hope she gets better soon.

This morning DD15 was looking for the aloe "for the sunburn on my face".  She didn't have sunburn and hasn't been outside enough for that, anyways.  I promptly quizzed her on what she used on her face this morning -- the "gift with purchase" we got when picking up known-good stuff for her acne.  I promptly had her wash her face, explained she was reacting to something in the new stuff, and told her not to use that stuff again.  I then gave her a rather thorough explanation of just how sunburn occurs, and probable causes if she ends up with a "sunburn" when she hasn't had sun.  Conclusion:  always talk to Mom when your face gets (and stays) red.

DD12 just got the shortened lecture on informing Mom when trying new stuff AND only using the stuff her sister uses when first trying stuff for acne, if and when she starts developing it.  She really does benefit from having an older sibling who is more sensitive to stuff.  Older sib = guinea pig. 

• Like 1

I burned down to the wick last month.  There's nothing left to light.  I'm telling myself he's only in 4th grade.  I can rejuvenate this summer and we can start 5th grade strong.  Literature, spelling, math, history.  Just plugging away to get the number of days we need.  All extras went out the window.

And now DH has done gone gotten me sick.  :glare:  Coffee and nap sound wonderful. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   There does seem to be a lot of stuff going around this year.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 1

My kids do not like to read. Well, DD reads Babysitter Club and DS reads Diary of a Wimpy Kid. They need a tremendous amount of guidance and pushing and I just can't do all that. So, I don't know what to do. I read aloud to oldest DS at bedtime and we have gone through a lot of wonderful literature together that way.

DH and the girls are rather hooked on audio books.  My girls will read, but they will also gladly listen to someone else reading.  DH got a subscription to Audible, and those three have been going to town.

I like audio well enough and will easily listen along in the car, but I gravitate more to the printed word.  I therefore have told DH he doesn't have to grant me any allowance of the Audible credits and can spend them all on stuff he and/or the girls want.

DH is mildly dyslexic and has always been a s-l-o-w reader, so he was glad when in high school his mother convinced his English teacher to let him listen to books on tape for the required reading.  He always chose unabridged versions and was able to answer all of the questions asked in class.  

I have quizzed the kids from time to time on books they have listened to, and they are definitely absorbing the stories and not simply zoning out.  Now when I ask them questions it's because I fell asleep while listening and missed something.

• Like 1

I have read and enjoyed some of LMA's shorter works. One of my students recommended to me years ago, "A Long Fatal Love Chase", which got me reading some of her other stuff. I loved "A Long Fatal Love Chase." It was a good story, but it was really the title that grabbed me.

I had never heard of that one.  I will have to go look it up now, just because of the title!  Thanks!

I hadn't had a choking incident in over a month.  That all ended at lunch.  It wasn't a bad one though.  Rocky was the only one to come check on me. 

:ohmy:   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

FAFSA!

• Like 2

Krissi is a rabble rouser! Go Krissi, Go!

Glad to hear the good news about your friend, Jean!

My angst has calmed. I realized this afternoon that my monthly hormones are gearing up and that usually makes everything seem like a crisis.

Also, I spoke to a lady this afternoon who I was afraid I might have offended a couple weeks ago but it seems there was no offending going on whatsoever, so that was a relief.

• Like 6

What? My brain can't figure this out.

Lana can do puzzles! :hurray: She saves my brain from unrealistic making of connections and careful reading.

Glad I could help.

I was being super funny.  But apparently not.

• Like 1

My friend finally came off of the ventilator today.  They think that they can avoid heart and lung surgery and can manage things with meds at this point.  Things are finally moving in the right direction. 

Oh, hooray!  So glad to hear he is mending.

• Like 3

apparently it was recently ( in the past 25 years or so) published.

Sounds like it was originally published under a different pen name: A. M. Barnard.  She apparently used this name for "sensational" stories, which led me down a nice rabbit trail reading up about Gothic romances and the like.  I have placed a paperback copy in my Amazon cart (they didn't have Kindle available).

• Like 2