Menu

Ignore this thread!

Did I tell y'all about the summer of 1998 when the 7 year and the 13 year cicadas emerged in the perfect cicada storm? It was horrifying. I remember being 8 months pregant waving my arms like a crazy person to get the swarm away from my head as I ran screaming through the parking lot to my OB's office. We have recordings of the constant noise of a buzz saw we could hear inside the house with all the windows shut. No one mowed their lawns until they were gone that summer because the cicadas would swarm anything that made noise - especially engines.

oh my! That sounds horrible!

My kids are going to VBS this week; half of them will be helping in my stead while I come home and do *ahem* important things.

Actually, I am planning to use the precious time wisely.

good for you!  

I just got off the phone with my mother for the first time since..? She still has made no effort to come see the baby. Last week my ex boyfriend's mother came to see the baby. My mother kept asking if I was OK and then accusing me of not being truthful when I said yes. She seems to think I'm on the brink of suicide or divorced or murdering the children or something. Something about 3 kids being too hard and me not being ready. Because she knows me so well. She said that if I ever need anything to call her. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times she has said yes when I said I needed something in my adult life. I asked her 2 years ago for $20 for diapers and she said no. If I need something I call my dad.

I'm sorry, Slashie!  

That just gets my Elephant Ninja senses all tingling. Loud call for bazookas and duct tape!

Mine, too!
  • Like 1

Her: Do you think that the postpartum medication might be causing your bleeding and pain?

Me: I'm not on postpartum medication.

Her: How are you treating your postpartum depression?

Me: I don't have postpartum depression.

Her: I think you just don't understand the symptoms.

I describe the symptoms and explain that I don't have them.

Her: Do you think that the postpartum medication might be causing your bleeding and pain?

:banghead:

Edited by Slache

I'm moaning about my hair on the chat board. 

And I was just getting up the courage to get my haircut.  Sigh.

I have had one trim since I became a mom...

I had really short hair for most of my childhood -- and I hated it.  I can still recall one boy at school asking if I was a boy or a girl. :(  And then he said, "Oh, you have earrings.  You must be a girl."  This tells you how long ago this memory is.   :lol:  :lol:

And so when my hair was my own choice, I let it grow long.  Right now it about to my elbows.  I like it long, but it really needs some freshening up.

The problem I've been dealing with is rooted in Scripture.  There's a passage in the New Testament that says that a woman should not cut her hair.  I know that most people don't still adhere to this, but I have heard people be called hypocrites if they believe most of the Bible but not *all* of it.  I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite by getting my hair cut.  More :( .

I was just finally coming to grips with the fact that I should not let it bother me if people think I'm a hypocrite, but then I wonder if by getting my hair cut I really *am* a hypocrite.   :001_unsure:

(See why I didn't post this on the chat board.)  ;)   :D

Anyway, I had actually been wanting to ask the all-knowing ITT what their opinions on this are.  No judgment.  PM me if you want.  Ignore me this post if you want.  :)

I had really short hair for most of my childhood -- and I hated it.  I can still recall one boy at school asking if I was a boy or a girl. :(  And then he said, "Oh, you have earrings.  You must be a girl."  This tells you how long ago this memory is.   :lol:  :lol:

And so when my hair was my own choice, I let it grow long.  Right now it about to my elbows.  I like it long, but it really needs some freshening up.

The problem I've been dealing with is rooted in Scripture.  There's a passage in the New Testament that says that a woman should not cut her hair.  I know that most people don't still adhere to this, but I have heard people be called hypocrites if they believe most of the Bible but not *all* of it.  I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite by getting my hair cut.  More :( .

I was just finally coming to grips with the fact that I should not let it bother me if people think I'm a hypocrite, but then I wonder if by getting my hair cut I really *am* a hypocrite.   :001_unsure:

(See why I didn't post this on the chat board.)   ;)   :D

Anyway, I had actually been wanting to ask the all-knowing ITT what their opinions on this are.  No judgment.  PM me if you want.  Ignore me this post if you want.   :)

Paul was speaking to women who were shaving their heads because our hair is a covering for prayer and we're always supposed to be in prayer. Don't shave your head and you're good. I might be off on the details because it's been many years, but you absolutely can cut your hair. Talk to your Pastor about it.

• Like 3

Junie - my understanding of those passages is that we should follow general cultural norms when it comes to gender.  I don't think that means that you cannot cut your hair but you would not have a "male specific" style.

My hair, sadly is not my glory.  God did not bless me that way.  Sigh.  And possibly illness has made it thin, flyaway, and frizzy.  I won't say any more about it except to say that my 91 year old mom tells me that it is "limp and sad" and suggested that I consider getting a wig.  Double sigh.  (She's not being mean.) 

• Like 2

It's not about believing the Bible, it's about taking it in context. The Bible doesn't say not to cut your hair, not to get tattoos, or allow your husband to beat you. Don't let someone who's not going to take the time to understand the scripture use it to make you feel guilty.

• Like 3

Junie - my understanding of those passages is that we should follow general cultural norms when it comes to gender. I don't think that means that you cannot cut your hair but you would not have a "male specific" style.

My hair, sadly is not my glory. God did not bless me that way. Sigh. And possibly illness has made it thin, flyaway, and frizzy. I won't say any more about it except to say that my 91 year old mom tells me that it is "limp and sad" and suggested that I consider getting a wig. Double sigh. (She's not being mean.)

To my limited understanding, it was common for women of the time to shave their heads when in mourning or after completing a Nazarite vow, so I would disagree with you but I wouldn't put any money on it. :laugh:

Beauty can be a curse instead of a blessing to those among us who struggle with pride. :unsure: Not that I'm anything special, but I have the hair of a Greek goddess and I think it's not good for me. That's why I'm always cutting it.

Oh, oh, Junie! Tell people you cut your hair because of a sin issue! Then you'll get brownie points!

• Like 1

And I was just getting up the courage to get my haircut. Sigh.

I had really short hair for most of my childhood -- and I hated it. I can still recall one boy at school asking if I was a boy or a girl. :( And then he said, "Oh, you have earrings. You must be a girl." This tells you how long ago this memory is. :lol: :lol:

And so when my hair was my own choice, I let it grow long. Right now it about to my elbows. I like it long, but it really needs some freshening up.

The problem I've been dealing with is rooted in Scripture. There's a passage in the New Testament that says that a woman should not cut her hair. I know that most people don't still adhere to this, but I have heard people be called hypocrites if they believe most of the Bible but not *all* of it. I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite by getting my hair cut. More :( .

I was just finally coming to grips with the fact that I should not let it bother me if people think I'm a hypocrite, but then I wonder if by getting my hair cut I really *am* a hypocrite. :001_unsure:

(See why I didn't post this on the chat board.) ;) :D

Anyway, I had actually been wanting to ask the all-knowing ITT what their opinions on this are. No judgment. PM me if you want. Ignore me this post if you want. :)

Junie, I feel your pain about childhood short haircuts. My vivid memory was when we were on vacation and I was probably 5 or 6 years old and the waitress asked my mom if her "son" would like milk and I said, "I am not a boy."

Regarding Scripture and long hair...I agree with Jean's remarks about hairstyles in keeping with your gender.

And I don't blame you for not posting on the Chat Board. Talk about treacherous seas....

• Like 4

I think I had every celebrity haircut imaginable, as a child. Toni Tennille, Dorothy Hamill, etc.

My mom just had my hair cut the way she wanted it, short because she didn't want to mess with long hair, and then told me I had a celebrity haircut, just to make me happy. Sigh! My baby has hair down to her waist and I love it!
  • Like 2

Jicama v. Cicada...that's a hard one. I might prefer cicada if it was fried and covered in chocolate.

Um, I'll take the jicama, and eat the chocolate separate.  No Cicadas.  I've watched my cat throw up after eating too many things of that nature.

• Like 2

But with cicadas, how much wing do you leave before you fry it? (That is actually a question that comes up in my novel, where cicadas are a kind of seasonal delicacy.)

Hmm, Cicada Ceviche with Jicama?

• Like 2

Sorry about your mother, Slaiche.  That is really messed up. :huh:

Thank you. :) Do we know you? I feel like you've been here, but I'm a ditz so I could be wrong.   

Um, I'll take the jicama, and eat the chocolate separate.  No Cicadas.  I've watched my cat throw up after eating too many things of that nature.

:lol:

I am home.  Ds drove the 3 freeways necessary to get home.  At one point I got so scared that I was pounding on the passenger side dashboard to get him to slow down.  My vocal cords had totally shut down out of fright! 

Sounds like my DH's driving.  When he pulls a particularly close maneuver and I frantically grasp whatever I can reach (sometimes also crying out in alarm) he always responds with an irked, "I got this!"  Part of the problem is he thinks he has great reflexes, but mine are always quicker than his.  My reactions are usually because I see something before he does, something I would have already been reacting to and altering my driving.

I don't trust "I got this."  "I got this" tends to be used when being reckless.  "I got this" cut a hole in my new skirt when DH decided to remove the ink tag himself instead of letting me return to the store (with my receipt) to get the tag removed properly.  His brother's "I got this" led to bro's own shoulder injury when he tried to catch something heavy that was falling (falling because those carrying it, including bro, wouldn't wait for more help).

Now, whenever I can, I convince the family we need to take my truck to Grandma & Grandpa's house instead of DH's little car, and I drive most of the time.  When DH does drive my truck I feel at least I have a stouter box around me if he does get into an accident (though I will admit: he hasn't yet).

• Like 1

I would like thundery. We haven't had a change in the weather, except going from very warm to extremely hot, in 4 months.

The meteorologist promises rain this afternoon.  I'm really hoping he's right.

Good Morning, Ladies. It's Monday. I have coffee. I'm not exactly feeling like tackling the week, though! I'm just feeling kind of bleh about life right now. Don't know why.

MIL is coming this mornings she comes every Monday morning when FIL does volunteer work. I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks, though, so that'll be nice.

DS1 starts STEM Camp today at the local junior college. He is griping and complaining. He complains about everything.

DS2 volunteers at the same thrift shop FIL does on Monday mornings.

The meteorologist promises rain this afternoon. I'm really hoping he's right.

I'm holding you to that. ;)

It's supposed to be 105 today. 106 tomorrow. Cooling down to a balmy 100 by the weekend. Gee, I may have to put on a sweater.

• Like 3

I bought heavy duty bras and makeup yesterday. I am joining a gym tomorrow and dying my roots again. I am getting serious in my war about not looking ancient.

I drove 15 hours recently to visit my old hair stylist (oh, and see family). I totally understand the need for a good haircut, hornblower. Elizabeth Warren hair is never ok. 

The genealogy bug came and bit my bum again. The timing is so inconvenient for me to pick up this hobby again.

Speaking as someone who had a 5-0 birthday party a couple of years back:

Do think ahead to the time when you will want to consider letting whatever gray you might have show. 

I'm naturally dark-haired, and started dyeing the gray when someone mistook me for eldest DD's grandmother when eldest was only 3 years old.  I do realize, however, that in that gal's world view it likely wasn't that far-fetched and without looking older than I was she still could have expected me to have grandchildren -- I started my family in my latter 30's, and I live where there are still a lot of people who have grandkids by that age (and this gal looked like she was one of them -- she didn't look any older than me and had a grandchild older than my eldest DD).

Move ahead a decade or so and there I was, gradually developing some "character" in my face but with hair determinedly dyed very dark brown (to match my "natural" roots).  Somehow that disconnect of hair more youthfully colored than my features indicated made me look OLDER than I was, whereas most of my life people kept mistaking me for being younger than I was (by as much as 10 years).

This was not the effect I was going for.

I remembered my grandmother, determinedly having her hair dyed jet black (the color of her youth) when she was in her 80's.  She kept up with the hair dye until the day she died.  The dark strands made it quite easy to see how thin her hair had gotten.  She always insisted it was her natural color, despite the fact we could see the roots.

I looked at my own scalp and realized that my own dark strands showed thinning hair -- not just thinning in number but thinning in texture.  I lose some hair during the sweltering summers here, but I have also gone through some periods where hormonal changes or whatever caused even more hair loss (interspersed with periods of hair gain again).

Then there was the eyebrow issue -- no matter how talented the stylist there was no matching my true brown color exactly, and my eyebrows always looked out of place -- the browns never matched, though my true brown would have.  My eyebrows only matched when we tried dyeing them, too.  That was a painful process, though, and not something I recommend.  If you don't want your hair noticeably different from your eyebrows then dye your hair to match your brows, not your brows to match your hair.

I figured that my SIL's panic over her 30th birthday was silly, especially considering how many years my own mother turned 29 on her birthday.  I decided I wasn't going to moan and groan and hide from family for fear of black balloons on my 50th.  I decided to let my true colors show, and announced a desire for a 5-0 swimming party at ILs' house. (Hula!  And Elvis! And passing the grass skirts to the kids when I realized it would take 2 to make it around my waist.  Those things are made only for tiny people.)

I keep my hair shoulder-length or longer so I have enough length to tie it up when I need.  It took about 2 years to grow out all of the old color.  To lessen the sharpness of the color transition I spent a few weeks using temporary dyes on just the visible roots, reducing the amount of dye and the time I kept it on with each application.  I finally got to the point where it was all just more hassle than it was worth and quit worrying about the transition zone at all. 

I had feared a "piebald" look, since when I was dyeing my hair it was obvious that my gray wasn't evenly scattered throughout but was instead in patches.  As my gray grew out, however, the gray strands blended with the dark brown strands nicely, and did not appear as sharp, glaring, and in-yo-face as the roots had when I was still dyeing.  Instead it looks like I have LESS gray than it did when I worried about roots showing, and my gray serves to soften the harshness of so much very dark brown hair. 

People are once again back to thinking I am several years younger than I really am.

Think ahead to when you might want to consider letting whatever gray you might have show.  Be deliberate about it; don't just wait until you are wondering if you are being ridiculous or obvious.  Consider alternatives -- one might be to dye your hair a decidedly unnatural but fun color for a bit before you decide to let your gray show.  Doing this you simply stop when you decide to, and everyone just expects a transition line and thinks nothing of it.

I'm not saying don't dye your hair, and not advocating that if you already are you stop right now.  I'm merely saying think ahead to future decades to consider how you might want to look then, and as you go through life make your choices with your later self in mind as well as your current self.  This will save you much angst and turmoil later, I promise you.

I am very tired. I don't get why writing 5,000 words should wipe me out, but all I want to do right now is get a shower and go to bed.

It is a very demanding task mentally.  You are not simply blathering on the page -- you are carefully crafting a work of word art similar to a complex musical composition.  Add that to the necessary physical postures and confinement (to a chair for lengthy periods) and I'd be amazed if you weren't completely nackered.

• Like 1

Sorry, CF, I had my Midwest brain/language going on. I know there is a difference, but where I grew up cicadas were called locusts even though true locusts are more like grasshoppers and cicadas are nothing like grasshoppers.

It's like "dinner". Dinner can be lunch or supper depending on who you are talking to.

"Dinner" is the biggest meal of the day, regardless of when it is consumed.  In my dad's farm boy youth dinner was typically the midday meal, meant to restore some of the energy already burned in the morning's work while setting everyone up with a fuel supply to get through the afternoon.  In winter, however, "dinner" might be more of a brunch on a 2-meal day, to provide energy for going out into the cold to care for farm stock.  In winter they worried less about eating 3 meals because much of the work was inside, making and fixing things.

• Like 1

(See why I didn't post this on the chat board.)   ;)   :D

Anyway, I had actually been wanting to ask the all-knowing ITT what their opinions on this are.  No judgment.  PM me if you want.  Ignore me this post if you want.   :)

I think God will love you no matter what hair length you have.

Keep in mind that unless you yourself are reading the original documents in their original languages you are reading translations of the Bible, and usually translations of translations.  Whenever translations are done some differences creep in between the translation and the copy from which the translation was made, even when the translator is being as careful as possible.  Additionally, which parts got translated when by whom was ofttimes a political decision, so not all parts of the Bible got the same treatment over the years.  The times and cultures of when and where translations were made also affected not only how translations were done, but which ones were more carefully preserved and which were allowed to disappear over time.

This doesn't mean that the Bible isn't God's word anymore.  Just don't think that absolutely every word of every translation is literally true, to be taken as an all-or-nothing set.  Read the Bible and let it speak in your heart.  Listen there for the guidance you seek, and worry less about Joe-Bob's insistence that if you aren't stringently following one tiny detail you are rejecting the entire lot.  After all, we don't want to become 7th-Day Hoppists, do we?  (Red Dwarf reference)

• Like 3

Care to list the benefits? How much baking soda and how much peroxide?

Whitens, strengthens your toofers. Get a little container and fill it about 3/4 full with baking soda. Mix in hydrogen peroxide until you get a paste. Substitute it for toothpaste. My routine:

Morning: Bre-brush rinse, Crest.

Evening: Floss, homemade toothpaste, Listerine.

The toothpaste itself doesn't freshen your breath. I use pre-brush rinse for my geographic tongue. I only brush my tongue in the evenings.

I am up.  I spent some time looking up symptoms (again) and getting depressed by the chronic illness forums where very sick people argue with each other over what "works" and "what doesn't" even though they all appear to have the exact same symptoms.  Why do I do this?  (Other than the fact that I hope I will come up with something new that will truly work.)

Anyhoo. . .   no more time to think on that stuff.  For today is a brand new day that the Lord has made and I'd better be glad and rejoice in it.  But first I think I'd better find pantz.  It's always easier to rejoice in pantz. 

• Like 4

Whitens, strengthens your toofers. Get a little container and fill it about 3/4 full with baking soda. Mix in hydrogen peroxide until you get a paste. Substitute it for toothpaste. My routine:

Morning: Bre-brush rinse, Crest.

Evening: Floss, homemade toothpaste, Listerine.

The toothpaste itself doesn't freshen your breath. I use pre-brush rinse for my geographic tongue. I only brush my tongue in the evenings.

Thank you, I might have to give that a try!

• Like 1

I am up.  I spent some time looking up symptoms (again) and getting depressed by the chronic illness forums where very sick people argue with each other over what "works" and "what doesn't" even though they all appear to have the exact same symptoms.  Why do I do this?  (Other than the fact that I hope I will come up with something new that will truly work.)

Anyhoo. . .   no more time to think on that stuff.  For today is a brand new day that the Lord has made and I'd better be glad and rejoice in it.  But first I think I'd better find pantz.  It's always easier to rejoice in pantz. 

LIKE!

Yup, I'm out of them again.  Jeannie is so wise!

Gotta go get some stuff done.  I have more energy today. 

• Like 1

I ketchupped. This morning I was up bright and early, with a certain main character rattling around in my head wondering if I was going to get to that scene he wanted to get to last night but I passed out before we got there. Then he started making suggestions! I may or may not have thumped him over the head with a pillow and told him to scat. But I got up and did my running around, and now I'm monitoring Latin. I get the third conjugation passive, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it this morning. 

On hair--my personal opinion is that if people have a problem with my hair, I'll ask them if they want to trade. And God can fix mine when he gets around to it, because perfect and all that.  :001_smile:  And I'm not really being flippant. I finally have the hair that suits me, whether I like it or not. It's thick, but limp, prone to oil buildup, soft as a kitten and sort of goes everywhere when it gets humid out, and that's daily right now. The idea that I would get judged over something that grew out of my head on its own and does whatever if durn well feels like just makes me want to laugh.

I've had everything from frizz to a buzz-cut at one point or another. Currently I've got this kind of funky shag that drifts around and changes every time the stylist cuts it, and we are both okay with that, because it's just the nature of the animal.

• Like 4